Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar

The General Americans-Love-Guns-and-Killing thread [Dark Knight Rises shootings & on]

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...re-Denver.html

What a horrible thing to happen. No idea if this is terrorism, a nutbag who took the film series way too seriously, or just some unrelated nut.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    That's fucked. Fuck people.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    That's fucked. Fuck people.
    Indeed, and on the assumption the shooter knew Batman was screening it shows a disturbing deviousness in that many of the people there were (quite understandably) wondering whether it was just some OTT promotion thing for the film.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Ban films, that's what I say.
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

Obscure Node
    That's just what Colorado needs-- more violent crazies shooting people. Why there?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    People suck sometimes.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR
    The Red Blades, a Battle Brothers AAR

Lesser Hivemind Node
    The movie isn't that good anyway.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    What a senseless, horrible act. Apparently the douchebag wired up his apartment with explosive as well, in an attempt to take out anyone investigating him after his shooting spree. Frigging psychopath.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Sad stuff :(

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by lancefevermyers View Post
    That's just what Colorado needs-- more violent crazies shooting people. Why there?
    To use the broadest-stoke brush I have, there's a fairly large gun culture undercurrent in CO, from hunting to gang violence. I don't understand why anyone ever feels the need to do this, though. Ever.
    steam

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by squareking View Post
    To use the broadest-stoke brush I have, there's a fairly large gun culture undercurrent in CO, from hunting to gang violence. I don't understand why anyone ever feels the need to do this, though. Ever.
    Gun-culture can account for a lot of things - In this instance, I don't think it applies. This guy is a crazy - If guns didn't exist, I'm sure he'd try something else. Like explosives, which were (AFAIK) found in the apartment he rented.

Network Hub
    They were made to expediate murder and two murderous fuckwits used them that way. If guns didn't exist, something might have happened still of course.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Some theaters are now going to crack down on costumes with face masks and fake weapons. Which is so thoroughly missing the point ... argh.

This is awful. I've been kind of shell shocked since I heard about it. But that sort of response doesn't help. This isn't about the movie, or midnight showings, or violent films, or even necessarily guns (though that's far more connected than anything else I've listed). This is something smaller with a much tighter context; no less horrible for that, but demanding of more complex and restrained responses.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Lesser Hivemind Node Juan Carlo's Avatar
    He got in by buying a ticket, exiting through the emergency exit (he left it propped open), then came back with his guns. So any sort of increased security checks at the door completely miss the point as this guy didn't bring the weapons through the front entrance. I went to a showing of Batman tonight and my theater had a sign posted that you can no longer bring bags into the theater. Which, again, is pointless. If they really want to address the security concerns raised by this shooting they need to start by making sure no one can get back in from an emergency exit (I don't know how they could do that. Perhaps fit them out with alarms that automatically sound when opened?).

Quote Originally Posted by Juan Carlo View Post
    So any sort of increased security checks at the door completely miss the point as this guy didn't bring the weapons through the front entrance.
    Assuming any sort of copycat (or similar) individual does exactly the same as this guy. I think it's a general increase in security around cinemas, both the provide piece of mind to the public at large (lots of armed police protecting me), and to discourage any repeats (lots of armed police at the cinema).

Expect more fallout: The perpetrator is being identified as a computer gaming role player.

Quote Originally Posted by Arglebargle View Post
    Expect more fallout: The perpetrator is being identified as a computer gaming role player.
    Probably half of his victims were, too, but no-one's going to make that connection.

Quote Originally Posted by Arglebargle View Post
    Then all we need is heavy metal and Dungeons and Dragons and the circle would be complete.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Don't forget rock and roll and comic books.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR
    The Red Blades, a Battle Brothers AAR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    I read an article that said he went to church.

More murderers, rapists, and psychopaths are religious than play video games.

discuss.