Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Where are you Traveling to?

We got all the movie/tv/music/etc. threads, so why not a Travel one? Any other Globe Trotters on RPS?

Myself, I have rid myself of most of my material excess, grabbabed a backpack, and went on traveling across Europe! I started Blogging about it with plenty of pictures for those who are interested. So far I started reconnecting with my roots in Poland, was impressed by Paris's grandeur, explored the hidden art of Lyon with an old online friend, got a bit of an uncomfortable culture shock in Italy, spent two weeks in middle of nowhere in Switzerland taking care of kids, moved onto Vienna for obligatory sausage and kaiser rolls, and now sit at a cozy little cafe in Bratislava after walking 20 miles across the historic Old Town not at all unlike my hometown Warsaw.

Coming back to Poland soon and then prepping for round two, which will feature Finland and Manchester, and whereverthehell else I end up feeling like ;p

It's not quite vacation as I am still working and I spend time on personal introspection a lot (hence my blog to really compartmentalize and remember all of it). Lots of cultural things and lifestyle changes to try to make sense of my life and mental struggles.

So, what about you guys? Where you off to?
    Last edited by Koobazaur; 08-05-2016 at 04:46 PM.
    Comrade, Listen! The Glorious Commonwealth's first Airship has been compromised! Who is the saboteur? Who can be saved? Uncover what the passengers are hiding and write the grisly conclusion of its final hours in an open-ended, player-driven adventure. Dziekujemy! -- Karaski: What Goes Up...

I spent 3 days in Barcellona this year but my last big thing was going to Milan's Expo in summer 2015. Going to post pics if I find them.

:l I have some in my phone. They are pretty rubbish.

Not sure the link works.
    http://s1208.photobucket.com/user/vt...ry/aodjnfaosdn

Fondest memories were Sudan, Nepal and South Korea teas. Tasted like nothing I've ever drank. Especially Sudan's.
    I got to eat a lot of asian fried stuff and sweets too.

http://koobazaur.com/life-musings/eu...stroyed-world/
    Oh god the wifi search in time of no connection. You have to walk every bar for it and students are the only ones asking for it so you should've gone to a library. I think it's more a case of no1 helping tourists rather than attachment to culture. Then again breakfast was the only time I eaten in France and Spain (I even found pizza recipes with sugar and I couldn't finish them, croissants to start and paellas for launch though?Thumbs up....).
    Last edited by Wenz; 08-05-2016 at 07:27 PM.

Funny you should ask.. I'm leaving for the UK (primarily, Scotland) in.. Holy shit! In about 2 weeks. *starts running around looking for passport.*
    Steam: dead moms walking
    also check out
    the Game Orphanage and RPS/NA

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    I'll be heading up north for a couple of weeks in July/August to escape the horrible summer. Haven't decided exactly where yet, but glaciers and Norwegians may be involved.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    I'm headed off to the US west coast-ish in three weeks! Because I deserve it and we now have a direct flight to LA from Stockholm. I'm going to spend two weeks driving like crazy across California, Arizona and Nevada (well, Vegas).

I'm also really jonesing for a London trip, so that will probably happen soon-ish. I don't think I've ever been in London during July/August. Is it okay? I tend to prefer city holidays during less warm months, but my vacation will mainly be during summer.

I drive to my place of work, I drive home. Sometimes I go to the shops. That's about it really.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BillButNotBen's Avatar
    kids = end of travel. :-(

If anyone doesn't have sprogs yet, go out and visit everywhere NOW, because you won't be able to for the next few decades.
    18 - 30: 23 countries.
    30 - 35: 5ish countries.
    35 - 40: 0 new countries.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Money is also a problem, how you affording all this?

I haven't been to any places outside the UK for quite a long while but I do hope to change that soon. Ever since I heard about it Im saving my moolahs for and iceland and Norway cruise.

For my travel to barcellona I had a friend living there, I bought a low cost ticket (about 30 euros) meaning the baggage had to meet a very limited weight/lenght/width/etc, I'm not sure I'd recommend any sites with families saving rooms to anyone though.

Nice, a travel thread! This year, I went to France for a week and a half of snowboarding. I recently returned from a trip to Paris, and will probably visit Paris again in a few months. I'm planning a major vacation (i.e.: outside of Europe) in september/october, although I'm not sure yet what the destination will be.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Throatwobbler Mangrove

Guild Wars 2 characters: Norgothus (Norn Necromancer), Maggrivo (Charr Warrior)

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    Never go full Wulf.

Quote Originally Posted by BillButNotBen View Post
    kids = end of travel. :-(

If anyone doesn't have sprogs yet, go out and visit everywhere NOW, because you won't be able to for the next few decades.
    18 - 30: 23 countries.
    30 - 35: 5ish countries.
    35 - 40: 0 new countries.
    I feel you here. I visited 17 different countries from 18-30, and no new ones in the decade since. (Though I do live 15 miles from an international border, so go to Mexico reasonably often.) I'm recently divorced though, and as a half-time parent find myself checking out travel books from the library again. I'm thinking South America in the spring and maybe southeast Asia sometime next year. In the meantime, there are plenty of natural sights within driving distance of home: the Sierras, Carlsbad Caverns, the Grand Canyon, Zion, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_W View Post
    In the meantime, there are plenty of natural sights within driving distance of home: the Sierras, Carlsbad Caverns, the Grand Canyon, Zion, etc.
    Any must-sees-or-dos in the area, since I'll be driving around there soon? The route will be something along the lines of LA => San Diego => Phoenix => Las Vegas => San Francisco => LA, with a few stops along the way. I think we've got the obvious stuff in between cities covered (Joshua Tree, Grand Canyon, Death Valley, Mount Whitney, Yosemite, Highway 1).

I was also emphatically recommended to try a "California burrito" (which I hope is a meal and not some weird sex act) by a friend who lived in San Diego for a while. Would you second that recommendation?
    Last edited by Fanbuoy; 09-05-2016 at 05:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fanbuoy View Post
    Any must-sees-or-dos in the area, since I'll be driving around there soon? The route will be something along the lines of LA => San Diego => Phoenix => Las Vegas => San Francisco => LA, with a few stops along the way. I think we've got the obvious stuff in between cities covered (Joshua Tree, Grand Canyon, Death Valley, Mount Whitney, Yosemite, Highway 1).

I was also emphatically recommended to try a "California burrito" (which I hope is a meal and not some weird sex act) by a friend who lived in San Diego for a while. Would you second that recommendation?
    It does sound like you've got it covered. I think San Diego's not really a big attraction kind of city: it's a city of neighborhoods and canyons and the beach. Downtown is fun to walk around; Balboa Park is lively and has good museums; there's great food and beer here.

A California burrito has -- in addition to the traditional grilled meat, salsa, and guacamole wrapped in a large flour tortilla -- cheese, sour cream, and potatoes. Usually the potatoes are french fries. Each one you eat takes a month off of your life, but they can be delicious. Fish tacos are also a San Diego specialty. I tend to go more for the kind of Tijuana-style taco you can get at any number of hole-in-the-wall restaurant or food truck in San Diego (or TJ of course): smaller corn tortillas with a heap of grilled carnitas, onions, cilantro, and salsa.

Replies to all your queries below, but first: I just tried Halusky, noodle-dumplings in goat cheese with bacon. I'm not big on noodles but these were daaaamn good. Altho we don't have this specific dish Slovakian food is quite similar to Polish, unsurprisingly. We have "kluski leniwe" which are bit similar but thicker and served sweet most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Wenz View Post
    Oh god the wifi search in time of no connection. You have to walk every bar for it and students are the only ones asking for it so you should've gone to a library. I think it's more a case of no1 helping tourists rather than attachment to culture. Then again breakfast was the only time I eaten in France and Spain (I even found pizza recipes with sugar and I couldn't finish them, croissants to start and paellas for launch though?Thumbs up....).
    Yea someone recommended library on the last day. And I heard from another friend (I met on a train going to Vienna) that Italians were least friendly to him too. Hmm wonder if it's more common.

I don't have a sweet tooth at all but I have been enjoying European peastries and cakes. I forgot this isn't America so everything ISN'T godawfully sweet here :P

And Those photos are really cool, I like modern art like that, actually feels clever than just pretentious :)

Quote Originally Posted by moms View Post
    Funny you should ask.. I'm leaving for the UK (primarily, Scotland) in.. Holy shit! In about 2 weeks. *starts running around looking for passport.*
    Oh cool I did my masters in Belfast, North Ireland. Stopped by Scotland. All of UK kinda looks the same to me tho - plains, big hills, fishing villages and obligatory castle ;p

Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    Money is also a problem, how you affording all this?

I haven't been to any places outside the UK for quite a long while but I do hope to change that soon. Ever since I heard about it Im saving my moolahs for and iceland and Norway cruise.
    Few ways:

1) I strategically tied it with moving out of Los Angeles. So I am not paying any rent or bills, which already covers half my expenses. Plus some of the countries I am going to, like Italy or Slovakia are dirt cheap. You can get a big meal for 1/3 of the price in LA, or a day's worth of groceries for like 3 Euro! The kicker: Even if I stayed a whole month in a hostel in Slovakia or Vienna, it would come out cheaper than my rent for the crappy studio in LA :/

2) I stayed 3 nights with an online friend in Lyon and plan to do the same in Finland soon. So free housing.

3) I am still working part time as a web developer for several clients in the US (so earning in dollars)

4) spent two weeks doring WorkAway in Switzerland. It's a crowd-sourcing thing where you can find hosts to trade work for housing and food. It's really awesome, you won't make money but can go anywhere almost for free, just paying the travel cost!

Quote Originally Posted by Wenz View Post
    For my travel to barcellona I had a friend living there, I bought a low cost ticket (about 30 euros) meaning the baggage had to meet a very limited weight/lenght/width/etc, I'm not sure I'd recommend any sites with families saving rooms to anyone though.
    Oh how come? My friend in Lyon had wife+kid and I enjoyed chatting with them both, and the host family I was with in Switzerland as a babysitter was great too.

Well I just moved out of LA after 4 years so can help :) What kind of things are you into?

And I donno what California burrito is BUT do eat from actual taco trucks! They are amazing and super cheap. Try a few until you find one you like as they all have slightly different styles and recipes.
    Last edited by Koobazaur; 09-05-2016 at 07:41 PM.
    Comrade, Listen! The Glorious Commonwealth's first Airship has been compromised! Who is the saboteur? Who can be saved? Uncover what the passengers are hiding and write the grisly conclusion of its final hours in an open-ended, player-driven adventure. Dziekujemy! -- Karaski: What Goes Up...

Oh how come? My friend in Lyon had wife+kid and I enjoyed chatting with them both, and the host family I was with in Switzerland as a babysitter was great too.
    Oh it's me not having enough experience with this so I don't feel like linking any site.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_W View Post
    It does sound like you've got it covered. I think San Diego's not really a big attraction kind of city: it's a city of neighborhoods and canyons and the beach. Downtown is fun to walk around; Balboa Park is lively and has good museums; there's great food and beer here.

A California burrito has -- in addition to the traditional grilled meat, salsa, and guacamole wrapped in a large flour tortilla -- cheese, sour cream, and potatoes. Usually the potatoes are french fries. Each one you eat takes a month off of your life, but they can be delicious. Fish tacos are also a San Diego specialty. I tend to go more for the kind of Tijuana-style taco you can get at any number of hole-in-the-wall restaurant or food truck in San Diego (or TJ of course): smaller corn tortillas with a heap of grilled carnitas, onions, cilantro, and salsa.
    San Diego sounds like a nice play to stay, but unfortunately, we'll only be there for a day. I've always wanted to try fish tacos, actually! I'll probably just spend my day there cramming Mexican (inspired?) food. I'll just have to make sure to ask for no cilantro, as I can't take the stuff (although small doses are okay). On a related note, is cilantro and coriander used interchangeably or is there som distinction or dialectal aspect to it?

Quote Originally Posted by Koobazaur View Post
    Well I just moved out of LA after 4 years so can help :) What kind of things are you into?

And I donno what California burrito is BUT do eat from actual taco trucks! They are amazing and super cheap. Try a few until you find one you like as they all have slightly different styles and recipes.
    Cool! I'll make sure to do that! As for the kinds of things I'm into, it would ideally be some kind of experience (as in: not just look at something). I'm afraid that my travelling companion is allergic to museums... Ultimately, I'm looking for things that a google image search can't cover.

Ultimately, I'm looking for things that a google image search can't cover.
    In that case, I'd recommend trying to do some longer hikes. Some of my best memories from my trip to the west of the US 2,5 years ago are the hikes I made through some of the national parks. Really makes you appreciate their incredible beauty and scale. And this might sound strange to those of you from the States, but for some reason I immensely enjoyed checking out the tackiest roadside shops and restaurants. Made my trip feel incredibly authentic, in a more prosaic way.

Never go full Wulf.

Cool! I'll make sure to do that! As for the kinds of things I'm into, it would ideally be some kind of experience (as in: not just look at something). I'm afraid that my travelling companion is allergic to museums... Ultimately, I'm looking for things that a google image search can't cover.
    Aww that's a bummer, I was going to recommend Museum of COntemporary Arts, one of my favorites.

Stuff to look at hmm... I'm not a big sight-see-er, but try the hike to the Hollywood sign if you're into that, gives a nice view of the whole city on both sides of the mountain. I'd avoid Hollywood, unless you are into really touristy/kitschy stuff.

You can also hit the beaches, I'd recommend Redondo - less toursity but has a nice pier. That being said, a walk from Santa Monica to Venice beach can be nice to see all the waves of tourists, folk artists selling cheap goods and pot stores.

If you're into drink, I like bar hopping around downtown for Happy Hour. Beelman's Pub is my favorite and The Falls is just next to it too. There's also The Library which is decored exactly as it sounds like and has good drink specials. Casey's is another great Irish pub with ping pong, fusball, darts, and tons of great Irish drinks! And stop by BUZZ, a wine shop that has a little bar in the back with beer flights and whatever-wine-we-got-open for like $4 a glass. And all of these are within walking distance!

While you're in Down Town, stop by The Last Bookstore, a neat little shop which second floor feels a bit like something out of Harry Potter when you first enter :p Check out DownTown independent that does free Comedy Shows. Really there is a free comedy show going on every night somewhere in LA so just google that for the days you're there. The downtown art walk is also nice but only happens once a month so you will likely miss it, I think it's 2nd thursday of each month or something.

For food, aside from Taco trucks, I can recommend my own hood of KoreaTown where you can get some LEGIT Korean food coooked by old asian grammas who barely speak english. Try something that isn't generic pancake, bbq or tofu soup, such as gamjatang (pork+potato stew), hangover soup or squid. Try restaurant"Cho Mak" or "Mapo", two of my favorites. Stop by "DGM," "Go Pocha" or "2nd Floor Soju Lounge" for authentic Korean Pub experience (come with friends and bit hungry, it's more of a sit-down get-food-and-booze type thing). Order makkoli, soju (ask for raspberry vinegar to add to it, called "honcho" - sounds weird but is delish) or some [som-eh] (beer + shot of soju)!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus TheDreamlord's Avatar
    I like this thread. If anyone needs some informed info for Asia (whole of SE, S Korea and Japan), UK or Greece, do feel free to ask me.

I have been travelling around (via time off, not full time) for the last decade, so currently I am more in need of somewhere rural and picturesque to rest, rather than discover new places.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDreamlord View Post
    I like this thread. If anyone needs some informed info for Asia (whole of SE, S Korea and Japan), UK or Greece, do feel free to ask me.
    If you don't mind me taking you up on your offer right away: what did you think of South Korea as a holiday destination? I went to Japan last year and absolutely loved it, which made me even more curious about South Korea too. How long would you spend in S Korea? What sights would you recommend to see?

Never go full Wulf.