Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIP Prince

Forum janitor in training.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Crazy. First Bowie, now Prince. WTF?

Seems like he caught an infection and it wasn't treated properly, so it got worse beyond the point of repair. Always take your antibiotics, kids!
    Last edited by DanMan; 21-04-2016 at 07:18 PM.
    Resident graphics snob.

And remember: Bad practices often become a trend, if not dealt with promptly.

Quote Originally Posted by DanMan View Post
    Crazy. First Bowie, now Prince. WTF?

Seems like he caught an infection and it wasn't treated properly, so it got worse beyond the point of repair. Always take your antibiotics, kids!
    Theorized that the AIDS definitely didn't help. People rarely keel over from just a flu these days.
    ~

This seems to be a year of much death though, Generation X slowly draining away?
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Eight Rooks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    This seems to be a year of much death though, Generation X slowly draining away?
    Yeah, it does seem that way.

It doesn't get me as misty-eyed as Bowie, given Prince hadn't made any music that really interested me in a very long time - and even the favorable reviews seemed to say "Yeah, it's good, but it's nothing like as good as (insert album from ten, twenty years ago)". Still a staggering talent: still a big, big loss. RIP, you funny little purple man. Even if your glory days were behind you I don't think there's anyone out there composing at the moment who's really matched what you managed to do.
    Smashwords (my stories) | Steam | Twitter | Wattpad (my stories)

Rest in peace, Prince.

Quote Originally Posted by DanMan View Post
    Always take your antibiotics, kids!
    But seriously: actually don't, unless you really really need to. Incorrect and overzealous usage of antibiotics shortens their already short period of efficacy: I was listening to a Radiolab episode some time ago in which it was claimed big pharma has basically stopped putting money into developing new antibiotics because, on average, a new drug may require roughly 10 years of time of development from lab to actual on-field use, only for pathogens to become resistant to it in a time span that may vary from days to 1-2 years at most. Basically the ability of these critters to adapt and evolve outstrips mankind's ability to manufacture new weapons. In a similar vein, there was another very interesting episode about viruses, titled Patient Zero IIRC, which covered the history of HIV, and the ticking time-bomb that Ebola may be.

But that's stuff for another thread.
    The Onward March of Bundles - filling your backlog since 1911. For a list of active deals, and more, click here.
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    What a year for talented people dying. :(

The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR
    The Red Blades, a Battle Brothers AAR

... you sexy M.F.

:(
    Last edited by Squiz; 21-04-2016 at 10:47 PM.
    Forum janitor in training.

Now, a tribute:

RIP.
    Guild Wars 2:

Main character name is Seigous Bearheart. I also play on Duke Witherheart. And Lindenheart.

My GW2 blog that you can follow on Twitter.

And yet the Queen lives on eternally. Is that justice? Maybe we deserve this world.
    Immersive Sims on Steam WIP

Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

Without directions a lot of people wind up going round in circles...

This following Bowie's recent passing is extremely unnerving. I Would Die 4 U and 1999 will always be classics personally.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Im getting a bit scared of 2016...

Also was listening to Janelle Monaes giving you what you love before knowing ehat happened...it was quite weird finding out he died after finishing that song.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=21X7ALvwN8Y

Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    Im getting a bit scared of 2016...
    Even the Guardian noticed that:
    "The tally of deaths is significant, and 2016 is not yet four months old. The Guardian has given over the front page of its print edition to all of these public figures – except Cruyff, to whom the Sports section dedicated its front page.

The Guardian’s obituaries page, according to its editor, is no longer able to fit in all the public figures who would have historically figured on the page because of the rise in high-profile deaths. The nature of fame and celebrity has changed radically in the past decade, with the rise in internet use and mobile devices such as smartphones, along with the plethora of television channels available."
    Immersive Sims on Steam WIP

Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

Without directions a lot of people wind up going round in circles...

So, gen ex, a lower standard to be considered celebrity, the Internet allows people to sustain celebrity off the backs of no new works, and the 58 second news cycle means that no one ever dies privately.

Perfect storm in tea cup?
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    So, gen ex, a lower standard to be considered celebrity, the Internet allows people to sustain celebrity off the backs of no new works, and the 58 second news cycle means that no one ever dies privately.

Perfect storm in tea cup?
    I guess so. Personally I was a bit surprised by the extent of the coverage some recent celebrity deaths received. I really don't need papers to spend three consecutive days covering the passing of a single person, no matter how famous he or she was.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Gert

Guild Wars 2 characters: Norgothus (Norn Necromancer), Maggrivo (Charr Warrior)

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    Never go full Wulf.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BillButNotBen's Avatar
    Plus baby boom generation reaching 60s and there are just a lot more famous people these days. 50 Years ago there were just movie stars and pop stars.

Why so many celebrities have died in 2016: http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-36108133

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    I think there are more Bowie records I would rather listen to, in the round, and that I would find him as a person far more appealing and winning. But from a musician's perspective I don't think there has ever been a more prodigious talent put to record, at any point. Bowie was someone relatable for all his chameleon aspects, whereas Prince seems to have been put on earth almost to remind people of their limitations in some respect.

The While My Guitar Gently Weeps performance has been doing the rounds but I think it just expresses his utter imperious talent when compared to basically anyone. If Prince really fancied it, anyone else on Stage just looked wooden and limited by their humanity, while he sang with voice that effortlessly oscillated between a breathless delicate gasp and furious, soulful roar and conjured a sort of supernatural fire from his guitar without even looking at it, or barely even touching it. I simply don't understand him, or how he existed. He wasn't a product of his or anyone's time, he just seemed outside and ahead of it. That's without touching on anything to do with his fluid interpretation of gender, or his unparalleled self confidence as an atypically feminine black man.

The thing that makes me saddest, most of all, is that the gaps in culture and opportunity that he exploited and ripped open to enter the mainstream simply don't exist anymore. He would have had the life choked out of him if he was coming onto the scene at this point. The monopoly of media control has outpaced the monopoly of pop culture. There honestly won't ever be another like him with the world as it is.
    Last edited by sonson; 22-04-2016 at 10:25 AM.
    Do we put that on a game that says that there are people falling out of windows and when they hit the ground we kill them and we say that is a Fallout and they are falling out of cars

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Presumably it's also a bit of a statistical fluke, as quite a few of the deaths have been late 50s / early 60s which is before the death rate starts to spike in the late 60s. Especially as the Beatles and Rolling Stones are still trundling along in their 70s/80s by now.

Also merge with the bowie thread and just make it the 2016 general mourning thread?

Also Ronnie Corbett and Victoria Wood :(

We had a few beautiful sunny days in Scotlandshire this week, and I was just reflecting to friends that as a mopey meta/goth person I don't have enough happy music to listen to for that much nice weather, and that the majority of my upbeat music was Prince. Very disappointing that he's dead given that he seemed to be coming into another bout of creativity.

Maybe I'll take this as inspiration to check out his stuff from the mid-90s onwards, as I only really know his stuff before that (and even then it's mostly just the Revolution records).

Quote Originally Posted by Zephro View Post
    Especially as the Beatles and Rolling Stones are still trundling along in their 70s/80s by now.
    To be fair the Beatles are not at full capacity these days.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BillButNotBen's Avatar
    He seemed hugely talented and his music seemed ahead of its time, although personally it never really grabbed me.