Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

[Merged] 2016 is shit already

God damn it, David.. horrible news. :(

http://www.theguardian.com/music/liv...ged-69-reports

Network Hub
    I first got to learn his music - and it was Starman none the less - from a beautiful girl when I was 16 or something and she was 2 years older. Everything was magical and I'm grateful for that.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Eight Rooks's Avatar
    I can't pretend I'm crying my eyes out and playing Heroes on repeat or anything, but yeah, still pretty sad. I'm relatively at peace with the idea the older famous people I admire are going to start dying off one by one over the next few years, but I wasn't expecting Bowie to check out quite this soon. Hell of a way to go, though. To quote a poster off the AV Club thread on this:

Holy fuck. I just watched the Lazarus video in response to this news, and my hands are shaking. Only Bowie would turn his own imminent death into a piece of performance art.

EDIT: For anyone who hasn't seen it, it's him in a hospital bed singing about death, before clambering into a darkened closet dressed in one of his costumes from the 70s: https://youtu.be/y-JqH1M4Ya8
    So he pretty much did an Asimov; dismantled his own legacy, packed it neatly away in a box and turned out the lights before he left.
    Smashwords (my stories) | Steam | Twitter | Wattpad (my stories)

Space Oddity was the first thing I managed to play on the guitar even if was only, like, half the song but that's more than I could manage with anyone else. So I'm going to spare a thought for David and re-watch Labyrinth then maybe fast track that vinyl rip of Hunky Dory that's a few places down on the list now that I've discovered that it's easy to do that.

Banned
    Fuck cancer.

I find myself using that a lot these days. *sigh*

Activated Node
    Right after he released Blackstar. Lemmy did you really have to take David with you???

20160108-211831-0.jpg

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    I think this is the first time I actually shed a tear at a celebrity death, when they played Heroes at the end of the news on Radio 4.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus karaquazian's Avatar
    Great shame. Someone who stayed relevent and experimental to the end without going the "greatest hits tour" or "covering the classics" route. Don't think there's ever been an artist that's stayed important for such a long time, at least not globally.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus karaquazian's Avatar
    Great shame. Someone who stayed relevent and experimental to the end without going the "greatest hits tour" or "covering the classics" route. Don't think there's ever been an artist that's stayed important for such a long time, at least not globally.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar

A peculiarly fitting sudden departure.

RIP Spaceman

Quote Originally Posted by Spacewalk View Post
    Space Oddity was the first thing I managed to play on the guitar even if was only, like, half the song but that's more than I could manage with anyone else. So I'm going to spare a thought for David and re-watch Labyrinth then maybe fast track that vinyl rip of Hunky Dory that's a few places down on the list now that I've discovered that it's easy to do that.
    I played "Rebel Rebel" with my band for a Christmas gig last december - I never was the biggest Bowie fan around, although I like his music, but his boundless creativity and ability to keep reinventing himself will be missed. Truly a unique artist.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Gert

Guild Wars 2 characters: Norgothus (Norn Necromancer), Maggrivo (Charr Warrior)

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    Never go full Wulf.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    And I was hoping 2016 was going to be less shit than 2015, watching Charlie Brooker's 2015-Wipe was just miserable. Today really fucking sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    Came here to post that. Weird that I had been re-watching that a few days ago too.

Like a few in this thread, I think this is the first proper celebrity death I've felt. He just constantly turned it up to 11, and was great because of it.

Damn, it was his birthday last Friday too.

RIP.
    Guild Wars 2:

Main character name is Seigous Bearheart. I also play on Duke Witherheart. And Lindenheart.

My GW2 blog that you can follow on Twitter.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    The first album my daughter ever heard was "The Next Day", playing in the car as we headed home from the hospital.

Sigh. Lemmy, Pierre Boulez and Bowie in two weeks. This year already sucks.
    Do you enjoy pretending to drive really fast (and even not so fast) cars? Join us at the RPS Racing Forum!

Do you enjoy killing lots and lots of monsters really fast (and even not so fast)? Join us at the RPS Path of Exile guild!

Bowie and Bing means Christmas.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Wow, Lazarus became one of the most epic goodbyes in pop culture history.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Eight Rooks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by theclockworkrat View Post
    Wow, Lazarus became one of the most epic goodbyes in pop culture history.
    Just to clarify my post - Isaac Asimov did something similar - not sure if this is really a spoiler, but the final published Foundation book ends with the death of the character who was strongly based on Asimov himself, and the character basically winds things up by saying "Yup, my work is done, everything can now go on without me". Shortly after which Asimov himself died. Not sure who else managed quite such epic closure - I guess Leonard Nimoy did get that beautiful tweet as the final message on the account from him.
    Smashwords (my stories) | Steam | Twitter | Wattpad (my stories)

It sucks. There are 4 people in my immediate family and it was a miracle to find music 2 of us liked. But 3? Bowie is pretty much it.

Obscure Node
    I don't know where I'm going from here, but I promise it won't be boring.
    - David Bowie