Thread: HTPC build

HTPC build

After months of planning I finally settled down for a HTPC configuration. When I moved to China I let my desktop PC at home, so nowadays I only use my laptop (nvidia optimus powered) for gaming. I dont have the space here to set up a new desktop system, so I decided to put me a gaming box under my TV.

Here are the parts I want to get:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4570
    Mainboard: ASRock H87M-ITX
    GPU: Inno3D GeForce GTX 760 OC 2GB
    RAM: G.Skill Ares 1600 DDR3 8GB
    HDD: Seagate Barrcuda 3TB
    SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 120 GB
    Case: Silverstone Sugo SG06
    PSU: Silverstone 450w ST45SF-G
    CPU cooler: Prolimatech Samuel 17 & Prolimatech Ultra Sleek Vortex 14
    Bluray: Hitachi-LG CT30F

I wanted to wait another month till AMD releases their new gpus, so that maybe there will be another price drop. But with the latest announcements of Valve and Amd (Mantle) I am not sure if I should just wait some more months and get an AMD system? Or should I just go forward with this config?

Any inputs or suggestions for this build are appreciated!

I built a HTPC over a year ago. I also went for a Silverstone case (GD08). I am very happy with this case. So I guess you can't go wrong with the SG06.

I focused on components with low power consumption, low noise & heat production. So maybe you want to verify your parts to see if they are not too noisy etc..

Thanks for your answer. Seriously considering switching to a new build with a R9 280X in a SG08 case (no problem fitting a longer GPU in there).

[urlhttp://www.amazon.com/Loving-Your-Liver-Complete-Prevent-ebook/dp/B014GZG7XI/]http://www.amazon.com/Loving-Your-Liver-Complete-Prevent-ebook/dp/B014GZG7XI/[/url]
    Last edited by HarisonHubert55; 07-09-2015 at 08:04 AM.

Just wanted to give an update. With a delay of over one year I finally got me my HTPC. Changed the configuration quiet a bit!

CPU: i3-4160
    Mainboard: H97M-ITX/AC
    GPU: Inno3d Gtx750Ti 2GB
    RAM: Adata 1600 DDR3 8GB
    HDD: WD Green 4TB
    SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
    Case: Raijintek Metis Classic
    PSU: Enermax Triathlor Eco 350W
    CPU cooler: Deepcool Gamaxx 400

Not nearly as powerful as my original configuration. Using this little box for XBMC and Steam Big Picture. Figured I still have a backlog with games for some years. Also having a kid now makes gaming time very precious. Probably can update the GPU to a quadcore and to another new low TDP GPU in a few years if needed! Weee PC gaming!

Soooo... time for upgrade! Well maybe. I am currently thinking of getting a new GPU. Either a RX460 or 470. I also would like to get a new monitor, i.e. 1080p 144hz cheap freesync AOC monitor. The problem I am having now is: I believe a 470 gets too hot in the small case (and blower cooler might be too loud) and the 460 is too weak for such kind of monitor. Any input on what I should do?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Maybe wait until next week and see how the GTX 1050 Ti performs? It might slot in between the RX 460 and 470, while drawing similar power to the 460.

Might be an option yes. But then I cannot get an adaptive sync monitor as I am not willing to pay +200 euros for gysnc. Not sure if I should get a 144hz monitor without it (considering the quiet weak GPU that I plan to use).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Ahh, yes. Variable refresh rate tech will be quite good with an HTPC with relatively low-end hardware, and AMD is certainly the go-to since Freesync is so much cheaper than G-Sync.

AMD is in the process of dropping the price on the RX 470 to respond to the 1050 Ti. So if the power consumption + heat is tolerable, it's becoming really good value for money.

Hmm, maybe you could get a 470 with a good cooler, then underclock and undervolt it to reduce power consumption?

Otherwise, maybe just stick with the 460. And then maybe that 75Hz Freesync monitor? A 460 won't often go above 75FPS, except if you play CS:GO.

Good suggestion. Have been doing some research and found this screen: LG 23MP68VQ

23" IPS 75hz freesync by LG

Might be a good fit for the 460. I'll have to ponder on this new possible configuration :)

Oh man. Seeing the benchmarks for the 1050ti makes me reconsider again... Sad to see how far AMD is behind when it comes to performance/watt which is crucial for such small cases.

Obscure Node
    could you bang a 470 in it?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Might run a bit hot? In truth, depending on the case, you can run pretty hot in a HTPC, but i understand it is not ideal.

I am still considering the Sapphire RX470 with blower cooler. But I also fear that it either gets too hot, too loud or my 350W PSU is not sufficient. Still could send it back if it doesnt work :o

Obscure Node
    This is my HTPC:

EVGA Hadron Air
    Seasonic SS-500L1U power supply (stock Hadron Air PSU is too loud)
    Intel 4790k
    Noctua NH-L12 CPU cooler
    Two Noctua case fans
    Nvidia GTX 970 (ASUS Strix)

Yes, that's a full-powered video card and CPU. It's also very compact and quiet. The system is about 40% larger than the SG06.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Nice case, more 'classical' desktop shape, but super small and great features. I think when i built mine this was not on the market or it would have been up for consideration. Temps are fine i suspect?