Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Activated Node

[Timeslip Softworks]Vigilantes: Turn Based Indie RPG

Hi,

Here's a very early look at the turn based RPG I've been working on for the last 5 months, which is called Vigilantes. Still very much early days, but it is coming along. Comments, suggestions, and observations very welcome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zt1cGEzFmU
    Last edited by Timeslip; 07-11-2015 at 02:22 PM.

Activated Node
    Hi again,

5 months of full throttle development later, and things are beginning to take shape. Here's a development video in which the protagonist meets a potential ally. This situation deteriorates when you are ambushed by a group of paramilitary survivalists, and must fight your way out of the trap.

If you have any question, comments, or observations, fire away! I'd be happy to talk more about the game.

Obscure Node
    Nice the UI looks very functional. I dont recognize the look. What game engine are you using? Nice progress for such a short timeframe.

Activated Node
    Thanks, BlackOpzFx. Yes, the combat UI will need some tweaking, but it's mostly working. An artist will be starting soon, so the placeholders will be replaced over time. I'm using Unity 5. Yeah, it's going okay. The most time consuming parts have been AI, managing the animations, and the inventory system.

Activated Node
    Hi again,

Hope you're having a good day. Here are a couple of recent screenshots from the game. This is a level I've been working on over the last few days. It might be worth noting that the UI elements are placeholders, and the final game will not contain art that I drew up in paint.net in a few minutes : )

An this is a close up of one of the allies which you can encounter in your adventures.

All comments and observations welcome! If you'd like to stay tuned to this game's development, you can get occasional updates at my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Timeslipsoftworks/
    Last edited by Timeslip; 19-09-2015 at 10:39 PM.

Obscure Node
    I can excuse poor models as this is an indie game, not AAA title, but what I can't excuse is poor GUI. The rest of the post refers mostly to the first screenshot as second one doesn't have any UI elements.

First of all, buttons (End turn, etc.) feels bland and uninspired. Frankly, these look like buttons in Windows 2.0. Not even 3.1. I'd suggest adding some gradients, so it look nicer. It should also blend in better with the rest of the UI which is dark.

Next thing is that hotbar-looking thing at the bottom. Green circles? Seriously? These doesn't look nice.

All, in all, the only thing I can pick on here, is the UI. As for the rest, I don't really have anything against it, it look nice. But UI NEEDS work, I can't stress it enough - it looks uninspired.

Activated Node
    Hi Darkhog. Cheers for the feedback. I should have added to my post that all the UI graphics are placeholders (the game is still pre-alpha, I've noted this above now) to test functionality and get a feel for layout. They will be replaced with proper graphics made by a professional artist as the game progresses : )
    Last edited by Timeslip; 19-09-2015 at 10:38 PM.

Activated Node
    Good news: An artist has started working on the art for my crime themed, turn based RPG, and they've just completed the first artwork for the game. Very happy with the results. What do you think?

After months of working on AI, combat, inventory, and character system, it feels really good to see the game start to come together visually. On the coding front, I've just added the ability to distract, demoralise, and spot weaknesses in your enemies during dialogue, to give you an advantage in combat.

If you'd like occasional updates on how things are progressing, you are most welcome to drop by my facebook page and say hello! Thanks for reading.

Activated Node
    Another illustration completed by artist. Really, really, really like this one. Came at a good time to raise the spirits a little, because I spent the last two days experimenting with quicker ways to build maps, took a wrong turn, and ended up having to revert to the original code. Oh well...

What do you think?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Can you tell more about the story and the background of the game. Basically what the game is about,i can see is turned based.. :D

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Can you tell more about the story and the background of the game. Basically what the game is about,i can see is turned based.. :D
    Hi DaftPunk. Thanks for the comment, and sorry I'm only seeing your message now, I didn't get a notification. The story hasn't received a huge amount of attention yet, because I want to get all the technical aspects of the game working first. As a rough outline though, the game is set in a modern city beset by 3 main criminal gangs. Your job is to take them out : )

I'm hoping to start working a bit more on the story aspects, and give the game a name over the next few weeks.

If this game is of interest to you, you are most welcome to drop by my facebook page for updates!

Activated Node

Here's another (very short) development video, this time showing firing from cover with pistols and automatic rifles. Comments and observations welcome. More info can be found at https://www.facebook.com/Timeslipsoftworks/

Activated Node

This is the most recent illustration for Vigilantes, which will be used as a base for the main menu. There are some really neat neon effects when you hover over a button, will make a video to show that soon. Comments, criticism, and questions are welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Activated Node
    Hello,

Hope you're having a good day!

Here's the new splash screen for Timeslip Softworks, which will be used in Vigilantes. Comments and criticism welcome! It's worth mentioning that there's no sound with the video for now, as the same track plays between the splash screen and main menu. I'll make a video of the whole thing soon!

This week, I've also been working on a day/night cycle for Vigilantes, which adjusts the lighting, sky, and reflections, based on the time of day. Once in place, this allows mission areas to be changed between day and night easily. I've attached a screenshot of one mission area during the day, and at night. It's worth nothing, that these are pre alpha screens, so the mission area isn't as polished as it's going to be and the UI elements are placeholders, which will be replaced by professionally created graphics this week.

City by Day

City by Night

Last edited by Timeslip; 14-11-2015 at 02:05 PM.

Activated Node
    Hello again. I've continued working on the day/night cycle and added a number of weather effects. Here's a video showing how the lighting/weather system affects the cityscape, transitioning from a sunny summer day, to the a rain drenched, thunderstorm. Hope you enjoy.

Activated Node
    Here's the most recent development video for Vigilantes, bringing you from the splash, through the main menu, all the way to the end of the first mission. Comments, questions, and criticism welcome!

The alpha will be made available within the next 6 weeks. If you'd like to be the first to try out Vigilantes, feel free to visit https://www.facebook.com/Timeslipsoftworks for further updates.

Activated Node
    With the alpha release drawing near, there are quite a few areas that could use a little polish. Over the last few days, I've been fleshing out the mechanics and adding effects for the explosive weapons: IEDs, incendiary, and smoke grenades. Here's a short video, so you can see the progress.

As always, comments, questions, and criticism welcome. If you'd like to be notified when the alpha is available (it's free to try), feel free to follow Vigilantes on http://www.indiedb.com/games/vigilantes or on https://www.facebook.com/Timeslipsoftworks/

Activated Node
    Hi all,

I'd like to share the most recent illustration for Vigilantes (a turn based, crime themed RPG) with you, which shows one of Reiker City's three gangs, The Church of The Final Exodus in the middle of a bizarre cult ceremony. (Click to expand)

12698684_1108101415888357_8852848892873321315_o.jpg

There's also a new dev video, showing improvements to bullets and camera, and an information graphic which shows how far you can move with your current AP. Comments and criticism welcome.

Also, if you'd like to be notified when the free alpha is available, you are invited to visit my Facebook page or Indie DB, for further updates!

Activated Node
    Character art and background info for Ray Case, a recruitable companion in Vigilantes. Comments and criticism welcome!

Name's Case. Ray Case. Licensed private investigator for the Greater Reiker Metropolitan area. If you're in the market for a Seamus, look no farther. Need a guy to shake a few trees, see if a monkey falls out? I'm in. Need someone to put the squeeze on a blackmailer for 25 dollars a day plus reasonable expenses? I'm your guy. Remember, the first sap I take to the back of the head is on the house.

If you'd like a heads up when the alpha is available (it's free to try), feel free to stop by on IndieDB or on Facebook

Activated Node
    Hello again.

Here's another illustration from Vigilantes, showing Elena Furey, a character who may join your struggle. I've included the character's intro also. Would be grateful for any feedback on either the illustration or the text. Thanks for reading!

Character Introduction

Cancer took him, then they took her. There's nothing left.

A year of days of rage and grief, a constant cycling between gym, firing range, dojo. A year ago a nearly hysterical woman crossed the threshold of the Reiker City Civic Gym for the first time in her life. The same, but a different person walked out those doors this evening.

Every thug in this city has a boss. One of those bosses gave the order, and he or she is out there right now, living out the violent, end of days, gun nut fantasy that is the survivalist approximation of a normal life. I'm going to keep stepping over corpses until I get a name, and when I do, I'm going to find them, and teach them the true nature of violence.

Find out more
    If you'd like a heads up when the alpha is available (it's free to try), feel free to stop by on IndieDB or on Facebook