Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

No Truce With The Furies - teaser trailer launched!

Trailer

Hey guys!

I'm Mikk and also the environment artist for a small local studio called Fortress Occident or FO for short. We've been developing an old-school isometric RPG from the ground up for the past year and just released our very first big batch of info.

This includes screenshots, a brand new poster, and a press release text by the "guys at marketing" (just kidding, we can't afford a marketing department, ha-ha, ha... ha.)

So, onward to the juicy bit!

NO TRUCE WITH THE FURIES
    is a story-driven isometric role playing game about being a total failure. An almost irreversible, unmitigated failure. Both as a human being and an officer of the law.

Find yourself in a strange and familiar new world, where you can go anywhere you want to. See that liquor store? You can go there. See that motor-carriage? You can drive it into the ocean. See that phone booth? You can call her, and make her love you again!

Or – you can take one final case and crawl back to life.

• A new genre of setting developed for over 15 years in absolute secret. Neither fantasy, alternate history, nor any type of -punk, a novel set in the same world has been dubbed fantastic realism.
    • The most advanced visuals ever made for the isometric perspective. A trick of the trade we call paintshading lets us create a moving contemporary oil painting.
    • A realistic skill system lets you develop original ideas using Conceptual Thinking, tune your nervous system with Electrochemistry, and become a disgrace to the uniform with Composure, a skill that lets you don your disco outfit to the maximum effect.
    • Writing by chronically success-impaired science fiction author Robert Kurvitz and original music by the Mercury prize winning band British Sea Power.
    • Thought Cabinet, an inventory for thoughts, where you process the ideas you’ve stumbled on. Ideas become fixtures, permanent beliefs you can’t get rid of, even if you want to.
    • Exactly one hundred and twenty eight times more choice and consequence than previously thought possible in a role playing video game. This is a world where even the smallest things you say matter.

Inspired by “Planescape: Torment”, “Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare” and “Kentucky Route Zero”.
    Expected release is at the end of 2016 for PC.

Please be sure to check out our active and growing devblog,where we go behind the scenes and in depth about our tech and art. http://devblog.fortressoccident.com/

You can also follow our social media hijinks!
    Facebook facebook.com/fortressoccident
    Instagram instagram.com/fortressoccident

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread and will answer any questions that might arise. I also sincerely hope that you like what you see. It's been an absolute blast being on this team and working on this game so far.

Mikk out.
    Last edited by Flabberghast; 13-12-2016 at 07:28 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Ooh, this looks interesting. I'll be keeping an eye on this one.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR
    The Red Blades, a Battle Brothers AAR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Woooo.
    This actually looks more interesting than any classic or recent or upcoming iso cRPG.

You had me at
    Exactly one hundred and twenty eight times more choice and consequence than previously thought possible in a role playing video game.
    If you had gone one hundred and twenty seven times I wouldn't have cared, but one hundred and twenty eight is the magic number boy!

Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    You had me at

If you had gone one hundred and twenty seven times I wouldn't have cared, but one hundred and twenty eight is the magic number boy!
    Our design lead has his very own secret method of nailing those numbers and nailing them hard-core.

Thanks a ton for the kind words everyone! I'll keep on updating this thread with everything new we'll be releasing.

We have a new devblog post up and running!

Kaspar is one of our concept artists and wrote about visually developing The Perikarnassian Church you can see on the screenshots. I even had a hand in producing one of the first work-in-progress models for it.

http://devblog.fortressoccident.com/...assian-church/

Last edited by Flabberghast; 21-06-2016 at 09:23 AM.

Time for another blogpost update!

http://devblog.fortressoccident.com/...uding-clothes/

Our picture math technician Siim goes in depth about how we handle different sets of clothes and occlusion for the game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    Here's a tip: Your game looks too good to be advertised with the word 'failure'. It's not the kind of thing you want to put into people's minds straight away, or ever. Stuff like that sticks, whether or not there's a reason for it.

Apart from that, can't wait to play it.

Hey Malawi Frontier Guard (jeesh, do you have a nickname?) it seems that people are diggin' the whole bent cop thing, so it seems to be working out for us so far. Let's see how far this stone will roll further down the slope.

Thanks for the personal input!
    Last edited by Flabberghast; 29-06-2016 at 01:51 PM.

Devblog update ahoy!

http://devblog.fortressoccident.com/...e-concept-art/

Our artistic lead Aleksander Rostov wrote a few humble lines about his doodling process for concept art.

Last edited by Flabberghast; 29-06-2016 at 02:05 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Flabberghast View Post
    Hey Malawi Frontier Guard (jeesh, do you have a nickname?) it seems that people are diggin' the whole bent cop thing, so it seems to be working out for us so far. Let's see how far this stone will roll further down the slope.
    Oh, my concern doesn't have anything to do with the actual story or setting. That's fine. It's just that the word failure as the first thing you see about a game is creating a bad association.

Well, you'll probably be fine. It's not a big deal. Don't worry about it. Don't worry about failure.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Malawi Frontier Guard View Post
    Oh, my concern doesn't have anything to do with the actual story or setting. That's fine. It's just that the word failure as the first thing you see about a game is creating a bad association.

Well, you'll probably be fine. It's not a big deal. Don't worry about it. Don't worry about failure.
    Actually, I think the tagline about being a failure helps set the game apart. Too many games are all about winning. Saying your character's a failure from the outset gives 'em room to grow. Nowhere to go but up!
    Writer/Designer for Prologue Games
    Affiliated Projects: Knee Deep * Fallen Earth * OtherSpace

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Gus_Smedstad's Avatar
    I keep reading the title as "no truce with the Furries," a game about feuding with people with peculiar sexual fetishes.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad View Post
    I keep reading the title as "no truce with the Furries," a game about feuding with people with peculiar sexual fetishes.
    I thought about these guys:

Last edited by El Cubo; 30-06-2016 at 06:59 AM.

Network Hub
    Have you got any videos? I'm interested in seeing how all that "moving contemporary oil painting" thing works out.

Network Hub
    e: Double post

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad View Post
    Yeah, they are going to get that a lot. Loving the art style, feels dishonoured-y, and that is a thing I want more of.
    I am once again writing a blog, vaguely about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by El Cubo View Post
    Have you got any videos? I'm interested in seeing how all that "moving contemporary oil painting" thing works out.
    We have a gameplay video in the works which not only shows off the visual side but also explains the game mechanics in depth.

Time for yet another update!

http://devblog.fortressoccident.com/...ard-can-it-be/

One of our writers talks about the hardship and expansive nature of writing for an RPG.

Writing has never been this hard. Of course this isn’t the sort of talk you’d like to hear. A creation should come into being with natural elegance, should it not? Strain means dull work and the smell of sweat, lack of ideas probably, etc.

Or not. Once I co-wrote a play with a friend (Jaak Tomberg http://smallblueabsence.blogspot.com.ee/). Everything was nearly finished, but three scenes remained to be written. With a clause that it’s me that wants to write them (we generally took turns at writing and switched between techniques, at times either of us wrote every other sentence). My friend was becoming impatient. The deadline was approaching. The clock was ticking.

It wasn’t an old school inspiration thing, it was rather like a chess puzzle you construct in your head with no clear shape, inexpressable as a graphic presentation. The field of text is laid out in your head and lone sentences are situated on it as protruding points of tension. But these are not worded sentences and they don’t express any fully formed thoughts. Everything falls into place at the moment you are finally ready to lay it all out, get it out of your head.

In the end, the time was right. Rather a question of decisiveness than finding a way: „I’m going to do it now.“ Later, when it was ready, I sat on the ground with my back against the wall, as if I had just ran 10 kilometers at my top speed or wrestled for an hour against a strong opponent. The fatigue was aggressive, sudden and physical.

This sort of thing is almost completely absent in game writing. The concentration part is there. The graphical chess scheme of structure and developments is there. The sentences still appear from the darkness. But rest, there is none. Rest always comes when the thing is ready, or, when running, if you can stop. There’s no such moment in game writing. It isn’t ready for months. All relief is temporary. For a moment it feels like something fell into place, that the eternally branching end of the dialogue has somehow logically found its way back into the main hub. But then you realize that the ends of all the other branchings haven’t made it there yet. And they will not go willingly.

So you have to force them. Every moment, all the time, there’s forcing of a logical structure. Like some kind of damn landing of Normandy. Taking it with force.

The main difference from all other writing (and I’ve written much of whatever else, starting with D&D campaigns and ending with opera libretti and scientific articles) is that you have a thousand endings. It doesn’t surprise neither you nor Deleuze, but it takes you to a place our lead designer Robert Kurvitz has described frankly: „While writing a book you always have lots of good ideas which you won’t write because they won’t fit. When writing a game you’re suddenly in a situation where you’re obligated to write down all your good ideas, and you’ll learn with unpleasant clarity if they were good ideas to begin with.“

While engaged in just that, we’ve encountered a little problem with Articy: Final Draft, the program that usually helps us tackle those thousands of branching endings. Sometimes it doesn’t. It seems possible that the size and complexity of our dialogues has reached the limit of Articy’s traction. It’s developers probably didn’t expect interactive literature to sprawl explosively like a borderless field of text (as it exists in the writer’s mind in its proto-being). And now we’re in a situation where we sometimes have to wait for the letters to appear on the screen with excruciating slowness. Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 is almost capable of rendering reality in real time, but Articy has some disagreements with it. We generally hope for Articy’s very flexible team to offer us their helping hand at some moment (and we are well aware it won’t be easy).

Another option is to rework our plans and start working on a dialogue editor instead of the game. You the public wouldn’t like this and you have every right to presume that we will not. However, it certainly couldn’t happen before the thousand ends of No Truce With the Furies have converged into a single concrete mother-node and made accessible to you.
    Last edited by Flabberghast; 06-07-2016 at 10:18 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    That screenshot is scary.