Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Activated Node

Can't get into Dishonoured

I have been trying to get into Dishonoured.

It has just about everything that I should love - a great setting, great action or stealth gameplay, great atmosphere, great look, great level-design and a lot of things that remind me of Thief II. I don't know why but I just can't seem to get into it.

I think I might have dark-distopia-game fatigue. And Dishonoured is particularly dark. It might also be the continual threat that the slightest mistake will lead to missing the "best" ending - the game continually tells you that killing people will affect that.

Anyway, every time I jump back in, I find myself staring at my Steam library again after not very much time at all.

I get the feeling that one of the better experiences in gaming is waiting therein. What do I need to do to get to it? Is there a certain number of missions I need to complete before it becomes addictive?

I think I might have dark-distopia-game fatigue. And Dishonoured is particularly dark. It might also be the continual threat that the slightest mistake will lead to missing the "best" ending - the game continually tells you that killing people will affect that.
    Like human revolution it has so much stuff you end up doing the same things differently while keeping a different option.
    Play it like the original deus ex or superhot or mirror's edge instead: everything is limited in a way you are bound to make a mistake because of no single dominant progression method.
    For example first person view is not ideal for melee combat in that it has depth perception issues and limited visibility. Shooting is limited from character skills/ "black box" feedback in that you can't tell how many shots your mag has and can't plan things further, while disho only has limited ammo. Throwing things is limited to one shot. Stealth is limited in that you don't know how invisible your are (you aren't but can still work with concealment and occlusion), unlike in the original thief where the hud will feed you infos.
    In deus ex you'll fail at stealth, fail at combat, fail at chatting*, at stunts and whatever else because of this general lack of information, you are likely to hear of guards' chats and steps from behind your cover rather than see them and you can't tell of anyone standing still, hence you'll have to look at whatever tool or way out before going out of cover because you are likely to be spot from whatever angle and fail.
    Disho is more fun this way but you have to give up on parts of the game like skills and just stick to mobility and vertical line of sight stealth (double jumps) and non lethal gadgets and ways to combine these. Otherwise you are simply OP and for all the creativity and options it's all too easy and limited from bending the game to story. And you won't need spending half of the game exploring for collectables for your skills and charms and everything and just play the game.

*for pics, items, secret paths and whatever obscure shadowy thing kept from you, I don't remember any of this in disho cuz too much time passed
    Last edited by Wenz; 30-08-2016 at 04:49 PM.

Don't sweat it. I've had numerous games that I should have liked but didn't, or that just didn't do it for me.

And occasionally it would take a few attempts till it clicked and I would get into a game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bobtree's Avatar
    Your #1 objective should be having fun with the game. Don't worry about the ending, or avoiding kills, or perfect stealth, or anything else. Messing around is way more entertaining than trying to play perfectly. Go nuts, and don't reload for small mishaps. There are some clever and interesting things you can pull off, and some very satisfying mission results. The endings are on youtube if you need to see them.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Turn off the HUD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobtree View Post
    don't reload
    yep/1234567

You don't have to be completely non-lethal to get the low chaos ending, plus killing your targets has no effect on that. It's reasonable that you'd want to avoid it regardless, because the game emphasises that killing is a failure of sorts. It's one of the things I admire most about the game: killing is quick and almost effortless, so it becomes a temptation that has to be constantly resisted. With save-scumming being a thing, however, the temptation is less on whether you should kill the guard who just spotted you, or just hit the quickload button. I quickloaded my way through the majority of Dishonored's tough situations until I completed it undetected and without casualties. I don't get much of a sense of accomplishment from it but I cared more about being nonlethal and stealthy than an immersive experience.

If you're having trouble getting motivated to continue being non-lethal - and it's a pain in the ass, I know - you might consider just abandoning the quickload mentality (if applicable) and play it by ear. You can get away with a lot of murders before the game switches to high chaos (I think) so as long as you're choking out or avoiding the majority of enemies and only murder the occasional witness you won't have to worry much about the chaos rating.

If you want to stick to non-lethality there's a bone charm that lets you choke out people about three times quicker, which makes it almost as easy as slitting throats. The charms you get are random but if you don't miss any, you're likely to get it sooner or later. Most skills are made for murderin' so you can safely ignore things like wind blast or rat swarm and put points into agility and blink, although time stop and possession might come in handy sometimes.

I don't know if there's something specific that keeps you from enjoying yourself or if it's just not your type of game, but I hope this helps.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    You can easily kill a few people on each level without worrying about bad ending.
    Hell, I've played first DLC in a way that I've killed everyone in first level and still had low chaos later when I've decided to not slaughter everyone in next levels.
    Just don't act as murderous maniac who kills everyone in sight and you should be fine. When you're spotted you can start running instead of killing, it's fun and you can reenact every "main hero is escaping in awesome way" film scene.

You can also bump up difficulty as Corvo is pretty OP no matter what. Dishonoured is rather easy game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    I found it more enjoyable as a stealth game if you play it sans supernatural gunk. Otherwise it's a fine 7/10 action game. Don't expect anything particularly special to happen any any point, it won't. You're not missing anything in that sense. Take it as it is though and it's fun entertainment for a bit.
    Do we put that on a game that says that there are people falling out of windows and when they hit the ground we kill them and we say that is a Fallout and they are falling out of cars

Quote Originally Posted by sonson View Post
    I found it more enjoyable as a stealth game if you play it sans supernatural gunk. Otherwise it's a fine 7/10 action game. Don't expect anything particularly special to happen any any point, it won't. You're not missing anything in that sense. Take it as it is though and it's fun entertainment for a bit.
    There is the heart thing, which goes for indoor secrets and feelings and bits of backstories, for worldbuilding and better characters to add to the place like a commentary, probably the reason why I don't remember of actually useful chats with npcs. Like deus ex the gameplay is themed around conspiracy in the shadows, you stealth in the dark yourself to find out about secrets because of your weakness from the lack of information, the heart shows what's implied through markers and feedback sounds and it's less ballsy because of this but at least you don't have to read 1000 sheets to get to the core commentaries.
    It's weird because there's stuff to read and gazillions of collectables anyways. And it's pretty irrelevant to use it or not. But I don't think I was ever confined into places to advance the plot like half life 2? Can't remember
    Last edited by Wenz; 30-08-2016 at 06:45 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    It took me a couple of tries. As an alternative to don't reload, I used reload to experiment with different ways of doing things.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    I liked the premise, but I wasn't as hot on it as other people. I think fundamentally the game suffered from being yet another first person game set in largely deserted environments with a few AI scattered around (a byproduct of the 360/PS3 hardware limitations), and a certain amount of ennui creeps in after a while, or been here, done that with a twist of lemon for variety. The endless repeat art assets also started to wear after a while as well. Posters I don't mind (though they could of done with a lot more of those), but when oil paintings reappear everywhere, it undermines immersion (loads of games fall down in this aspect).

I'm hoping that the sequel will a substantive setup, but I'm not holding out that the developers will necessarily deliver that as they're not a vastly huge studio.
    Last edited by Kadayi; 30-08-2016 at 08:14 PM.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil
    Tradition is the tyranny of dead men
    Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi
    Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes....
    The Conclave beckons ... PM for details

My favorite play through was lethal and stealthy, although I lost stealth a few times and rolled with it. The game is more satisfying when you're being stealthy, but the powers (particularly the life detection one) take out a lot of the trial and error. You'll still probably get caught at some point but the game does react to killing a ton of people (I think in a more consistent way than non-lethal) so you aren't really botching your run if that's the goal.

Plus I like how lethal feels with the gothic look and vertical level design. The literal interpretation of all that height in gothic architecture (and it's a big blunt comic book-y game so I'm taking everything literally) is that it's God looking down on you. Well, dammit, I'm climbing up high and crushing some ants.

I adore Dishonoured, but I think its optimum experience only opens up to certain kinds of play. People who carve a straight line to the target tend to have pretty short play-times (though the combat is heavily tactical once you start facing more than two opponents at a time, so I imagine that route provides a bracing challenge in return). But it's the most fun I've ever had the way I like to play such games: silent and non-lethal, but perfectly willing to murder my way to safety once things fall apart. I got in to a few pretty memorable fights, still got the low-chaos ending, and saw a lot of the knock-on content (and loot) you only find if you have the patience to explore and try to stay mostly undetected.

As others have said, don't think of it as good vs bad ending. If you didn't know about the two paths, it wouldn't bother you, and you'd accept the changes in the world as the way the game was designed. Approach it less as a puzzle game where you try to get 100%, and more as a bit of role play - kill when your Corvo would kill, show mercy when he would show mercy, and enjoy the consequences, whatever they are.

In the end though it's a question of how interesting you find the world and the story. I was gripped right from the first mission, while it just might not be something that sucks you in, and that's no one's fault.

There's tension in the action because of limitations, it's a panic attack because the result of failing at stealth is supposed to be overwhelming and lethal against your powerful and fragile self. All the gore is there to tell you it's a scary mess. It goes for deus ex, hotline miami, any shooter like due process and rainbow six. Skills tend remove all of this tension and cut management of everything else, even the mana regenerates a bit.
    Disho is also a bit more melee focused than these games where attacking only means bumping into each other, yet at the same time the writing harms and limits the mechanics a bit in that you can't use everything which works with your core ones but instead you are bound to special actions to support an ongoing argument and endings which are a bit of player character studies (high chaos being "maybe you are escaping from your responsabilities, mmmh?"). For example you can't have a non lethal melee option* but a slow choke to support the argument of "are you an oppressor or are you man enough to be a dad to everyone in your nation", as if any of this matters in the realm of cool takedowns and efficient stealth, so that your knife officially turns from tool to symbol like in ss2/hl/etc for a set of universal themes to attach to it like individual anarchy, oppression, equalizer and whatever, like hl2 where you play anarchy freeman fighting the combine oppressor with the help of equal aliens out of nowhere. So the highest chaos ending is for yourself, not sure what happens into the neutral one but you are probably busy bringing order to london, low chaos ending everyone looks alright even backstabbing shitheads.

*you can pick up bottles or whatever but you are not allowed to hold them and they don't mean shit unless its for the slowest stealth that there is, throw the bottle for a sound distraction and that's it, even if it's a more elegant non lethal solutions compared to your tools like darts etc, yet at the same time they signpost you of enemies around when corvo hasn't seen them yet meaning the place you are exploring is actually an arena.
    Last edited by Wenz; 31-08-2016 at 09:06 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    I am big stealth fanatic and i trully enjoyed the game. Completed it only once,and played stealthy but i said to myself if i screw it up,no reloads.. Just go with it,and it was one crazy experience.

I had the same experience with Dishonored as I did with BioShock. I tried numerous times to get into it and just couldn't do it. Then I went back for another go, got sucked in, and loved every second of it. Same thing happened when I tried getting into BioShock.

With Dishonored, I actually found the most enjoyment in playing it as a pure stealth game. I made sure to save often, and reloaded when being discovered. I found it more fun to try to get through every area without being found out than I did when I would be discovered and attempt to resolve the situation. I tried attempting a non-lethal run, but somewhere along the way I must have unknowingly killed something, because I didn't get the achievement.
    Last edited by Viral Frog; 01-09-2016 at 04:00 PM.
    Steam: Viral Frog

I'll never buy ghosting as fun, even if it's a way to play things as if they were not hybrids but pure stealth stuff, nearly nothing ever changes but a couple of npcs going back and forth and it's nothing compared to the tension of triggering a scary mess. Idk it just sounds like fun being a buzzword when stealth is a great way to make room for different stuff you wouldn't have when shooting all the time from puzzling to chatting and reading etc without the feel all these parts are separated.
    It's good for your rpgs but you could have different methods besides killing to progress the game to begin with you know. "Jobs" for currency, and I mean taking pictures and upgrade your anything to go to the next place like no man's sky and beyond good and evil and any other thing with a vehicles/mount that isn't only about combat (death road to canada too). Racing is more fun and that's where mirror's edge differs, having all the limitations of an immersion sim but making running its main thing anyway, even if the games are crap on different levels.
    Last edited by Wenz; 01-09-2016 at 04:22 PM.

Normally I wouldn't go for a pure stealth run in any other game, unless absolutely required. But the combat aspects of Dishonored were my least favorite part. Not because Corvo is squishy, because that makes sense. I can't really put my finger on why I disliked the combat so much, but it just didn't click.

While nothing changes with the stealth sections, there are still plenty of tricky parts. Trying to manage through certain sections without alerting anyone can be incredibly challenging, even though the AI pathing is static.
    Steam: Viral Frog

I'm saying ghosting/zero runs are like segments of nothing, playing stealth with stealth tools is fun though. Thief is fun. Corvo is op in every way and yeah first person melee and platforming is generally bleh no matter the game