Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shadowrun: Hong Kong

... has been released (RPS WIT / tagged blog entries) and I'm currently pondering whether to get it or wait for a potential Director's Cut/GotY edition. I really enjoyed Dragonfall, so I'm quite confident that the ~20€ would be a good investment. However, I don't like to find out that I'll have to shell out twice to get the full experience. They've already split off the soundtrack and an artbook as a "Deluxe Edition", which is fine by me, maybe those were incentives as part of the Kickstarter campaign? Holding out for the Director's Cut of Dragonfall seemed to be a good idea back in the day.

Has anyone seen mention of (possible) future DLC / special editions? Personal impressions of the game would be welcome too!
    Forum janitor in training.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Squiz View Post
    ... has been released (RPS WIT / tagged blog entries) and I'm currently pondering whether to get it or wait for a potential Director's Cut/GotY edition. I really enjoyed Dragonfall, so I'm quite confident that the ~20€ would be a good investment. However, I don't like to find out that I'll have to shell out twice to get the full experience. They've already split off the soundtrack and an artbook as a "Deluxe Edition", which is fine by me, maybe those were incentives as part of the Kickstarter campaign? Holding out for the Director's Cut of Dragonfall seemed to be a good idea back in the day.

Has anyone seen mention of (possible) future DLC / special editions? Personal impressions of the game would be welcome too!
    I have only just started it, just halfway through my first real run after the intro. Its more shadowrun, with what I feel is another step up in quality. Think of it as the difference between returns and dragonfall imo.

The matrix is different, and needs a different approach which is great. There is more of a background relationship at play in the story than either of the first too I feel. So far it feels to me that you are just a small person in a big sea, where as in the first 2 games it felt like you were the only important person, now I know that will change as I am the player in the game, so I am the only important person, but it feels good so far. It could be because you don't start as a runner.

There is a mini campaign coming at the end of the year. I am not sure on the details, but it was a kickstarter reward, a Shadows of Hong Kong 4 - 5 hour mini campaign

Quote Originally Posted by Squiz View Post
    ... has been released (RPS WIT / tagged blog entries) and I'm currently pondering whether to get it or wait for a potential Director's Cut/GotY edition. I really enjoyed Dragonfall, so I'm quite confident that the ~20 would be a good investment. However, I don't like to find out that I'll have to shell out twice to get the full experience. They've already split off the soundtrack and an artbook as a "Deluxe Edition", which is fine by me, maybe those were incentives as part of the Kickstarter campaign? Holding out for the Director's Cut of Dragonfall seemed to be a good idea back in the day.

I don't think a Director's Cut/GOTY is inevitable; most of the reason to make a Dragonfall Director's Cut was to have an excuse to sell it as a standalone to people who didn't own Shadowrun Returns, and Hong Kong integrates all of DF:DC's improvements right off the bat.

Also: The Director's Cut was made freely available to all people who owned the original, so nobody had to buy it twice.

Network Hub
    I saw it on GoG and was very tempted to buy it at once but I hate to have growing backlog so I set to finish Pillars of Eternity and Witcher 3 first.

Yeah, if it's already a standalone game, it's likely that any Director's Cut/GOTY things will be free updates anyway.

Excellent, thanks for the replies, everyone. I might pick this up some time soonTM when I'll find some time between games from my nearly endless backlog catalogue. Especially the things Kiril mentioned (new approach to the Matrix, less PC-centered world) sound like there are enough fresh ideas in there to make the new campaign interesting.

Last edited by Squiz; 23-08-2015 at 11:19 AM.

There is a plan for some future DLC, their final stretch goal was for a 4-5 hour mini-campaign that serves as an epilogue. They plan to have it out by the end of the year, free for backers but no mention of the regular price yet.

That's the kind of thing I was interested in hearing about, thanks. Will try to dig up some info regarding this. It's cool that they're making it a small campaign but I usually prefer to play all the available content (or should I say "the finished/complete product") in one go, especially if I managed to immerse myself in a game's universe. For the same reason, I'm probably not going to re-start my Divinity:Original Sin playthrough (yet again) when the Enhanced Edition gets released.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    A related question - should I bother with Returns or jump straight into Dragonfall? An FAQ, really, but figured I might ask here.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by mouton View Post
    A related question - should I bother with Returns or jump straight into Dragonfall? An FAQ, really, but figured I might ask here.
    I really liked the story in returns, it was proper pulp sci fi, but Dragonfall is a better game, the story is better, the ui is so much better and the gameplay changes are brilliant.

I would say go straight to Dragonfall, the stories are not connected in any way, unless you really want to play the story in returns, but as you haven't got to it yet, I can guess that you don't :P

I've only played Dragonfall so can't contribute any personal opionions regarding Returns, but similar to what Kiril said, I've read in several places that Dragonfall is basically a more solid and refined game in comparison. I also loved Dragonfall. Thinking about it now, I actually might pick up Returns before Hong Kong if I can it at a decent discount, just to bridge the gap until a potential complete edition of HK.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Eight Rooks's Avatar
    Returns (the campaign is actually called Dead Man's Switch) is not related to Dragonfall and the writing is terrible. Dull, devoid of character, idiot plot twists and when it came out (I don't know if this was patched) there were some of the most appalling typos going and a complete lack of QC on great sections of the script in the final act. It's a competent game, but the story is rubbish.
    Smashwords (my stories) | Steam | Twitter | Wattpad (my stories)

The game was properly patched, so that's no longer an issue - but yes, it's not bad (I didn't regret my time with it) but has some lackluster plotting decisions and in general just feels very conservative; in the same way that the Neverwinter Nights campaign felt more like an "example campaign" for the engine than a good game proper.

It also struggled some some issues with how the engine was designed (it can't save state changes in a level, which is incredibly stupid - this has since been ameliorated somewhat but not entirely in future versions) and the engine was very much designed with tablets in mind, so there's a big sense of "click the thing" in terms of how control and interaction works.

All that said, it does have a nice sense of style and the art is beautiful. I wouldn't steer anyone away from Shadowrun Returns - but if you have limited gaming time, Dragonfall is definitely the better bet. And so far, Hong Kong is about on par with Dragonfall.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Eight Rooks's Avatar
    I guessed the errors would be patched, but I'm not saying it just to nitpick - it really is about the only time a game has actively shocked me with how substandard the text was, even surpassing YOU ARE WINNER and so on. It's been a while, but I seem to remember it's when you have to infiltrate that corporate office in disguise to meet someone - the writing just bottomed out to the level of bad fanfiction written in a hurry with no spellcheck, and it never really recovered. Screw rushing to meet deadlines, I couldn't understand how anyone could have typed that up in the first place, period.

And I wouldn't say I regretted playing it, but it really was one of the more disappointing stories I've come across in a videogame. It just got steadily sillier and more concerned with reminding me just how weeeeeeird Shadowrun was supposed to be than actually developing any of the cast as believable people or giving me a reason to care about (or even respond to) any of it. Dragonfall's prologue was significantly better than anything Dead Man's Switch did in its entire running time.
    Smashwords (my stories) | Steam | Twitter | Wattpad (my stories)

Quote Originally Posted by Aerothorn View Post
    And so far, Hong Kong is about on par with Dragonfall.
    That's what I need to read at the moment. I'm struggling to wait a bit before I start my HK campaign. I'm in Baldurs Gate 2 chapter 5 and I'm afraid I won't be able to finish it if I start another game. And it would be my 3rd unfinished BG2 campaign :-(

I also thought some people criticize SRHK's lack of content on the main map and maybe an expansion will fill this"holes" with extra mini-quests.

EDIT : Whatever; I'm dwlnding it right now. Nothing like your own opinion ;-)
    Last edited by Tevildo; 23-08-2015 at 08:04 PM.

Near the end of Hong Kong and have to say it's a significant step up from Dragonfall in most respects for me, similar to the step up from the original game to Dragonfall. Probably helps that my physical adept is a fair bit more balanced this time around and the Dragonfall main plot was a bit more coherent and interesting, but I've found the Hong Kong missions, npcs and setting to be a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by Tevildo View Post
    That's what I need to read at the moment. I'm struggling to wait a bit before I start my HK campaign. I'm in Baldurs Gate 2 chapter 5 and I'm afraid I won't be able to finish it if I start another game. And it would be my 3rd unfinished BG2 campaign :-(

I also thought some people criticize SRHK's lack of content on the main map and maybe an expansion will fill this"holes" with extra mini-quests.

EDIT : Whatever; I'm dwlnding it right now. Nothing like your own opinion ;-)
    I generally have no idea what this "lack of content on the main map" thing is. Between every mission, there are about 10-12 NPCs to chat to, NOT including the up to 5 people on your team. If anything, there's TOO MUCH content on the main map - it can be exhausting going and getting 15 bouts of dialog between each and every mission.

All that said - finish Baldur's Gate II first! It's worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by mouton View Post
    Dead Man's switch partially (but not that much really) continues the story from the highly popular (at the time) Super Nintendo Shadowrun game. So if you've played that game then sure go play Dead Man's Switch. Otherwise it's up to you really. I wouldn't recommend playing Dragonfall and then going and playing it as it would feel like a step backward. But otherwise play them in order. Especially if you love the Shadowrun world.

Network Hub
    I have positive opinion on Deadman's Switch capmagin, yes, the story is pulpy and there is heavy reliance on cliches, that's true. I am cyberpunk fan though and when I take this book from my shelf and read for example New Rose Hotel, you know it's pulpy. Having said that I have no track with Shadowrun what so ever prior to playing Deadman's Switch. No tabletop, no videogames and Shadowrun Returns writing sold me Shadowrun immediately. So for me writing is pretty good imo.

You turn-based fans are exceedingly fortunate.. I just never could get into TB games. Managed to finish a handful of JRPGs (FFX, Chrono Trigger) but WRPGs with TB gameplay I just kept away from. I think I'll be getting into Valkyrie Chronicles soon, even though it's not "static" TB but it does have that element as a core mechanic.