Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar

Holy S%#$ it's 3D Creeper World!

http://knucklecracker.com/blog/index...adow-of-death/

So, to be clear, there's not so much as an announcement here, and those screenshots are probably only exciting to CW fans, but wow - so much potential here.

Particle Fleet may have been a disappointment (IMO anyway) but Creeper World 2 and, especially, 3 are among the more brilliant RTS-ish games I've ever played. Here's hoping this lives up to its promise.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Hyped. A 3D creeper game is such a good idea !

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Looks great. Never picked up 2 and 3 but played through all of 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    Looks great. Never picked up 2 and 3 but played through all of 1.
    If you enjoyed 1 I'd highly recommend 3, which is a logical and wonderful evolution of the gameplay from 1. 2 is very interesting but also markedly different. Both have demos.

Network Hub
    I never entirely got on board with the Creeper World thing. But as someone who has recently gained an appreciation of RTS*, and as someone that lives 20 yards away from the sea, that's terrifying and interesting in equal measure.

*Seriously, it took a while
    Social Science Talks Science Fiction: A podcast where social scientists, researchers, philosophers and theorists talk about the themes and works of science fiction. socialsciencetalks.wordpress.com
    Latest Episode: Neuromancer, by William Gibson

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I am once again writing a blog, vaguely about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

XCM2 LNG WAR CP Campaign Long War novices Welcome, now with 100% more laser guns!

In case of forum degradation pull cord.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Concerns?

P.S. Angry Peebles is second only to varmint-hunting Peebles.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Gus_Smedstad's Avatar
    I'm sure it will be fine, but after looking at the screenshots I don't think it's going to matter much. It'll look a little bit better, but it's still a contour map with discrete levels, and the mechanics don't appear changed by the visualization of the 3rd dimension. Creeper world was always "3D" in the sense that height mattered, and that looks to be the same.

Contrast it with, say, Terrorhedron. While I think overall games like Defense Grid were better, Terrorhedron really used the 3rd dimension in ways that other tower defense games don't. Both the Escher-sequel maps and the way you built tinkertoy structures on which to mount defenses.

Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    Concerns?
    This is not 3D Creeper World. This is 3D Graphics Creeper World which is something else altogether. 3D Creeper world could have things like capillary action into the air and droplets falling down, tunnels, shields that are overrun but still function as a sheltered area.

The pathetic thing is, between 2 and 3 they supported all of this, 2 had you plugging up a tunnel network and dealt with permeable surfaces and such.

There is a natural state here, for you to dig a drainage system with the terraformers which would feed the creeper into a well where you can mortar it, or maybe you dig a tunnel to a distant island above the creeper and plop a shield at the far end to stop any tricksey drips getting into your labyrinth. Or perhaps you'd need to handle things that would equate the bombers (spores they are usually called) and you'd need to consider blind spots in your AA alignment, where the Creeper could 'bomb' you from extreme heights.

No, instead of that magic that was teased, we get a 3D visualiser of what is happening in 2D.

Marvellous.

XCM2 LNG WAR CP Campaign Long War novices Welcome, now with 100% more laser guns!

I don't see how you can draw any of those conclusions based on this post.

Easy, if you were making a volumetric fluid dynamics game from the ground up. You'd be either figuring out how to do it or celebrating what your solutions were. The post was neither introspective nor celebratory.

I'm happy to be proven wrong, but until then I'm treating this with a measured amount of disrespect.

I'm not so sure about Helio's imaginings of what a 3D upgrade to Creeper World would be, but the post does strongly support the idea that we're seeing a 3D visualization of the same gameplay from Creeper World 3. The text says nothing, really, and the screenshots are of a 3D visualization.

I think Helio's right to be pessimistic about gameplay innovations, given what Particle Fleet was like.

Quote Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad View Post
    I'm not so sure about Helio's imaginings of what a 3D upgrade to Creeper World would be, but the post does strongly support the idea that we're seeing a 3D visualization of the same gameplay from Creeper World 3. The text says nothing, really, and the screenshots are of a 3D visualization.

I think Helio's right to be pessimistic about gameplay innovations, given what Particle Fleet was like.
    From my perspective, something more along the lines of CW3 with some visualization updates and perhaps some small innovations would be more than enough - I tend to look at Particle Fleet as evidence that evolution is better than revolution in this case. But, frankly, this is so early that it's all blind speculation anyway.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    This whole thread is like I've traveled into some sort of alternate, but very solid, reality.

I've never even heard of Creeper World, let alone the sequels, let alone that it now has a - highly disputed - 3D version.

What the hell is it? Is it a game about drainage or something? Looks pretty awesome but I have no idea what I am looking at.

Quote Originally Posted by LexW View Post
    This whole thread is like I've traveled into some sort of alternate, but very solid, reality.

I've never even heard of Creeper World, let alone the sequels, let alone that it now has a - highly disputed - 3D version.

What the hell is it? Is it a game about drainage or something? Looks pretty awesome but I have no idea what I am looking at.
    It's an RTS/tower defense hybrid about fighting accurately modeled fluid, developed by one person. It's also genuinely brilliant. In all seriousness, if any part of that sounded interesting do yourself a favor and try the Creeper World 3 demo.

Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    But, frankly, this is so early that it's all blind speculation anyway.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It might not be a straight 3D visualization of Creeper World 3. I don't remember Creeper World 3 simulating waves, while four of the screenshots are showing off waves. And the waves appear to be more than cosmetic, as they are shown overflowing barriers.

This could however just be highly exaggerated for promo shots, with waves in the final version being reduced to cosmetic levels. And honestly, I'm not sure how I'd feel about a Creeper game with such absurdly high waves, as the ones in the screenshots appear to just overrun any barrier regardless of the natural Creeper level.

What the hell is it? Is it a game about drainage or something?
    That isn't an insignificant amount of it. Also, it's about networking a power grid, building shore defenses and managing anti air guns.

This how I sold Creeper World 3 to Vinraith all the back on page 1008, special thanks to Google advanced search keywords 'Gravy' and 'Creeper World'.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    You ever play in the bath? Yunno, filling jugs with water and pouring it onto-

Let me try again, you ever play in a sand pit buildings pools, walls and trying to stop the water slowly-

Take 3: Do you ever eat mashed potatoes with gravy (any mashed vegetables will do) and watch the gravy slowly escape as you eat the potato formed vessel the gravy resides in? Maybe you throw up a damm with a carrot or get more gravy and watch your peas get washed away?

Yeah, Creeper World 3 is essentially Mash Potato and Gravy's sequel. It's plot seems to have less Manga stereotypes in it than Creeper World 2(more than Potatoes and Gravy) and the terraforming is like that of the series forefather Perimeter but even more nuanced. Dig a deep trough, drain away the evil gravy and then deploy a gravy changer and a gravy jug stopper.

Shooty space ships and the enemy spores are straight upgrades from the game play of mashed potatoes and gravy.
    Obviously, I will buy this game.. But hold on to your preconceived notions of obviousness because I said the same thing about Particle Fleet.
    Last edited by Heliocentric; 15-06-2017 at 09:26 AM.

Hah, same. I thought it would be about the Creepers from Minecraft getting a spin-off. :P

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Henke View Post
    Hah, same. I thought it would be about the Creepers from Minecraft getting a spin-off. :P
    I'm going to have to be on your team.

A world full of just Creepers....shudder......all out to silently sneak up and mess your day. I was thinking that maybe MS had decided to do a spin off from Minecraft and make it a pure fps kind of thing, and the 'Now in 3D' thing might be a reference to that new shader look they had announced for their version of minecraft. Anyway this thread is not about this.