Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Supergiant's third game - Pyre

http://www.supergiantgames.com/blog/...ird-game-pyre/

So that's a thing. Uh, not really much commentary to offer, just thought I'd leave this here as a public service. I'm hype, but then, I love their other 2 games. Maybe you don't? Can't say it LOOKS much like Bastion and Transistor, though.
    I wrote a fantasy novel, called Lavender! Perhaps you'd like to read it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DevinSmoth's Avatar
    While I do own it, I still have yet to actually play through Transistor. I loved Bastion though, it should be interesting to see what this next venture is going to look like.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by DevinSmoth View Post
    While I do own it, I still have yet to actually play through Transistor. I loved Bastion though, it should be interesting to see what this next venture is going to look like.

I've not played Bastion, but I played Transistor and it was very interesting. Every skill can be modified with others, which makes for interesting combinations. However you'll end up using the highest damage dealing combo before the end because the combat is highly skewed against you before the end, and you'll need all those extra numbers if you're to fight through. The art and voice acting was spot on. The game was around 10 hours long, so I recommend you give it a go, especially if you liked Bastion.

I shall be keeping an eye on Pyre. The art is gorgeous.
    Steam

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    Y-Wings are basically space bathtubs.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Thanks for posting this. Big fan of their first two games. I shall keep an eye on this one.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Pyre looks great, it will be interesting to see what mechanics they come up with this time. I like that they have their art style and they are making the most of it, but in interesting and different settings.

Lesser Hivemind Node gordianblot's Avatar
    I'm all over this. I wasn't too crazy about Bastion, but Transistor is great. Supergiant always has some nifty twist on genre to play with my expectations so I'm interested to see what they do with "Party-based." The song lyrics said something about "3 must become 1."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by gordianblot View Post
    The song lyrics said something about "3 must become 1."
    Dirty, hype.

Lesser Hivemind Node gordianblot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wenz View Post
    Dirty, hype.
    I never looked at The Human Centipede quite like that but who am I to judge? :P

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    thought I'd bump even if old, happy it's not bastion 3

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DevinSmoth's Avatar
    Nope, instead it's Banner Saga + Rocket League: ARPG Edition!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    I cant get on board with this sorry

Game of Thrones with Spacejam instead of battles

"The fate of kingdoms rests upon this encounter sire"

COME ON AND SLAM
    Do we put that on a game that says that there are people falling out of windows and when they hit the ground we kill them and we say that is a Fallout and they are falling out of cars

Really digging the look of this. Art reminiscent of Bastion with mysticism, ball sports and a hint of text adventure. I'll never pass this up.

CTF / Rocket league with a story? TAKE MY MONEY!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    This looks incredibly stupid, but mostly in a good way.

That song is so awful, but also, mostly in a good way.

At this level of sheer idiocy though, I will be awaiting reviews.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    It looks nice but so did Transistor combat and I did not like it at all.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Maybe you'll learn more skills to push, grapple, avoid hurt like jumping or even plain faster sprint and better stuff, it's more like playable florentine soccer than a partially turn based arena where you go for the same combo on everyone the way transistor does. The soccer part is pretty much fleshed out
    Last edited by Wenz; 18-10-2016 at 12:06 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus TheDreamlord's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Naramsin View Post
    It looks nice but so did Transistor combat and I did not like it at all.
    I have the same feeling. I think SuperGiant need to hire a talented gameplay developer. I absolutely adore the aesthetics of their games, and I don't particularly mind the vagueness of the stories, but the actual gameplay of their games so far has been mediocre, which is a real pity.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDreamlord View Post
    I have the same feeling. I think SuperGiant need to hire a talented gameplay developer. I absolutely adore the aesthetics of their games, and I don't particularly mind the vagueness of the stories, but the actual gameplay of their games so far has been mediocre, which is a real pity.
    I liked Transistor's combat more in theory than in practice. When you could pause and use an ability, it was fun. When that was on the cooldown, though, you were...basically just running away. Which was decided unfun. I also liked their take on (not) dying, and instead having death replaced with an ability loss like injury. It was cool, until it left you virtually defenseless and unable to perform in combat to the point where you wished you had died, anyway.

I applaud their continued efforts to not simply give in and make the same pure action combat systems literally everyone is using. On the other hand...I think they need to refine the systems they do make. And occasionally admit that while some things have become an industry standard due to laziness and the gullibility of the masses (Everything Ubisoft comes to mind, and most things Bethesda as well) other things - like certain styles of combat in both 3rd person and top down games, are standards because people really like them.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Transistor plays completely different from this, it's also a game assuming you are considering physical attributes too (aoe stuff, this utility skill has this range etc) when you can just go for the theoretical ones and chain the same combo dealing the most damage on all the enemies which makes combat boring as hell. It's different from a dmc game where a regular score system forces you to consider different combos and to pick some meaningful ones making for some depth out of so many options. Transistor is also partially turn based but it's something you trigger in hard times or low health and it's more of a second-chance trigger, so is the game's take on death when you have 4 chances, which fits on a thematic level because you have elites in function shape dying for you and coming back later to make you wonder what's wrong with the rules of the world, but it's still something going easy on people.
    It's also pointless to rank up in difficulty for the first run because you won't unlock everything and at its easiest you can sort of steamroll everything.

So the space jam bit in pyre looks fleshed out but I guess I can expect magical perks or whatever people might feel free to try out or not.
    Last edited by Wenz; 30-07-2017 at 10:53 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I really liked the system in transistor once I learned to roll with the disablings. I also like the unlocking story by using different abilities. It forces and teases variety out of you. The problem is thinking that there's one super combo; there's ten super-combos or twenty. Expose vulnerabilities / stealth / stab is very effective, but so is expose/bomb/poison, or expose/bomb/stealth (which chains into keeping you stealthed).

The challenges in particular illuminated the folly of blowing all your AP on the same combo over and over again. You may want to do that for bosses, but really you take down a lot of the minor enemies in non-TB mode as they peak around cover, and then go after the big ones or big groups in TB mode.