Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

American Truck Simulator

Anyone else playing this already? I picked it up on release Tuesday evening, and while it's a TRUCKING GOOD TIME, it is really small. After 2,5h played and 9 deliveries done I've already covered 28% of the roads, the game tells me. Of course I've always made it a point to drive to a new city with every job, always starting in the city where the last job ended.

So yeah, not much to say about it. It's good. Small, but reasonably priced as well. Looking forward to the Arizona DLC and Oculus Rift support.

Here's a video from one of last night's deliveries. I was hauling fertilizer from Carson City to Redding, listening to some depressing as hell country music. That's what it's all about.

Stilt Fella! Trajectory! Words and things!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Haven't picked it up yet, but how does it compare to ETS2? Ignoring the scale of the map, which is going to be smaller compared to all of Europe.

How are the cities/towns? Are they still just a couple of boxy buildings and a depot?

How are the jobs? I heard the trailers can be much longer?

Whats the truck customization and selection like?

How are the radio stations? Is it still satellite but mostly american ones now instead of euro ones?
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    Haven't picked it up yet, but how does it compare to ETS2? Ignoring the scale of the map, which is going to be smaller compared to all of Europe.

How are the cities/towns? Are they still just a couple of boxy buildings and a depot?

How are the jobs? I heard the trailers can be much longer?

Whats the truck customization and selection like?

How are the radio stations? Is it still satellite but mostly american ones now instead of euro ones?

Towns are bigger and feel like towns, work has clearly been put in here for Cities likes Vegas, San Francisco (Golden Gate bridge is in, are are the hills) and LA. They're not GTA good or anything, but certainly a step-up. The smaller towns are still a bit 'one-horse', but that suits the setting kinda.

Trailers can be a lot longer and some of the gas stations are a nightmare to traverse with bigger trailers. Otherwise they're pretty much the same.

There are two trucks in the game, which kind of sucks. You can upgrade and customise them, but it's nothing special, actually feels like a step back from some of the sillier customization from ETS2 with DLC. Apparently people on Twitter have been harassing Volvo about the licensing issue that means their trucks aren't in the game and they said they'd 'look into it'.

Radio stations are ok, it's internet radio though so the presenters and newsreaders are amateurish. Obviously a few 'American trucker' themed ones.
    I have written gaming stuff here, here and even here

And on Twitter

Yeah I was pleasantly surprised by how big some of the cities feel. In truth there aren't that much more inner-city roads compared to ETS2, but the suburbs and outskirts of the cities stretch out further into the surrounding landscape. You see them from the highway as you come into a city, so it feels less like in ETS2 where you're just driving through countryside and then a minute later you're in a city.

Overall, the world design is great. Even tho it's just a couple of states there is a lot of variety here.
    Last edited by Henke; 04-02-2016 at 08:38 PM.

I was planning on purchasing tomorrow for the release week steampunk skins, but I talked myself out of it. The size of the base game at launch is the biggest thing stopping me. The next concern I have is the DLC pricing conventions. Does anyone know how they plan to package and sell the DLC yet? If I have to spend a fortune buying individual states, I'll just wait for the game to end up bundled with something.
    Steam: Viral Frog

Activated Node
    Are any of you guys playing with a wheel? Didn't play much ETS2 with mine as it felt really floaty, with little to no feedback from the wheel. Hopefully this has improved, but I'll likely grab it at some point down the line anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Viral Frog View Post
    I was planning on purchasing tomorrow for the release week steampunk skins, but I talked myself out of it. The size of the base game at launch is the biggest thing stopping me. The next concern I have is the DLC pricing conventions. Does anyone know how they plan to package and sell the DLC yet? If I have to spend a fortune buying individual states, I'll just wait for the game to end up bundled with something.
    They've only announced Arizona which will be free. I suspect they'll bundle states together though (unless people kick up a fuss over lack of content, in which case they might release more stuff for free perhaps).

And on Twitter

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Its small. Compared to ETS2 = especially in its current state, and with ProMods to boot - its tiny.

What is here, however, is utterly fantastic. Cities feel larger. Roads turn and twist more. The graphics, while not leaps and bounds above ETS2, are improved. Lighting is better; vehicle headlights look fantastic.

There isnt a lot of it, yet. But what is present is refined and a genuine pleasure to drive through. I highly recommend it for anyong who likes these games, as much to support the future development as to play the game right now, in its current state.

A few more hours into it, I've found a few ways it differs from ETS2.

Instead of speedcameras, ATS has cruising cop cars which give you a ticket if they see you speeding. And there seems to be more low speed areas, which means all the other traffic is slower and I'm finding myself doing a lot more overtaking here than I ever did in ETS2. This combination of more speeding and overtaking, but also having hit the brakes when you spot a cruiser makes the gameplay a bit more challenging and fun.

On the negative side, I've also ran into a few spots where the traffic was so heavy I could not find a good opportunity to merge into it despite waiting for over a minute at times. Realistic, perhaps, but not a whole lot of fun from a gameplay standpoint. This actually happened at the very start of the game...

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Jockie View Post
    There are two trucks in the game, which kind of sucks. You can upgrade and customise them, but it's nothing special, actually feels like a step back from some of the sillier customization from ETS2 with DLC. Apparently people on Twitter have been harassing Volvo about the licensing issue that means their trucks aren't in the game and they said they'd 'look into it'.
    This right here made me smile.

I hope that they approach SCS and ask for representation within the game.

And I hope that fans approach other companies and go "Hey guys, have you seen this game? You should get in it!" to which they respond "Oh my days! We can advertise in a game and you won't be mad about it?!" to which they reply "No brah! We want to drive your trucks!"

I just hope the fans aren't nasty, as they can be sometimes, and that A/ETS just build a great, fun rapport with companies to make something shiny.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus zanchito's Avatar
    ATS Could have used a couple months more in the oven, as per SCS's own admission. Lacking a bit of map and a few more licensed trucks. I think they released it anyway to help give them some leverage with truck companies to include their trucks in the game, which some of them explicitly denied. I don't understand the companies, someone wants to essentially give you free publicity and you say no?

I got the game and enjoying it quite a bit, it feels quite different from Europe, I'm getting used to the traffic light placement anr free right turning on red lights. I'm sure someone will improve the map with more detail and variety. Until then, I'm alternating both ATS and ETS.
    Steam: Zanchito || Guild Wars 2: Gatonegro || The Secret World: Mescalitoh || Elite Dangerous: CMDR Zanchito

Network Hub
    Is it fully kick-back-with-a-controller compatible?

Holding off buying this until it's done, I expected American Truck Sim to have... America in it :( By that time mods will have improved it too, so win-win for me :)

ETS2 was "fully" controller playable, but you can't really do all the more detailed SIM stuff with a controller, but driving is fine with a controller.

Quote Originally Posted by Junkenstein View Post
    Is it fully kick-back-with-a-controller compatible?
    I think ETS2 has a demo, and I've herad this one will too. With a sequential gearbox, I see the game being very much playable with a standard controller. Steam forums will surely give more info anyway!
    Steam: Zanchito || Guild Wars 2: Gatonegro || The Secret World: Mescalitoh || Elite Dangerous: CMDR Zanchito

Yeah I'm playing it with a gamepad(Dualshock 4), tho I do need the keyboard for some of the lesser-used functions, like detach trailer and start engine. I do have a wheel (Logitech Driving Force GT) sitting right here actually but I don't use it with ETS2/ATS, mainly because I don't see how I'd be able to look around while using it. (any tips, wheel users?) If I had a TrackIR (or VR) it'd probably be great tho.

Here's my bindings btw, took me a while to perfect these:

Left Stick - steer, click - honk
    Right Stick - look around, click - center view
    LT/RT - accelerate/brake
    bumpers - gear up/down

Dpad up - wipers
    Dpad down - lights on/off
    Dpad right - toggle Route Advisor
    Dpad left - Route Advisor next

Face button up(Y) - toggle highbeams
    Face button down(A) - activate
    Face button left - turn signal left
    Face button right - turn signal right

touchpad - Map
    Start - Menu
    Share - Radio

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    When you say "two trucks" do you mean two companies with a few options each or are there actually just two trucks?
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Just did my first run into Nevada tonight, in a huge, modded Peterbuilt 389. Absolutely glorious. Huge skies; rock massifs that took whole minutes to pass; a little rain along the way. Its still a small map but whats here is utterly fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Henke View Post
    On the negative side, I've also ran into a few spots where the traffic was so heavy I could not find a good opportunity to merge into it despite waiting for over a minute at times. Realistic, perhaps, but not a whole lot of fun from a gameplay standpoint. This actually happened at the very start of the game...
    Oh, fun! Wait until they add Washington state. If the traffic is that realistic, you're going to be sitting in traffic for 3 hours trying to get from Tacoma to Seattle, which would take 30-45 minutes if they knew how to design our freeways properly for the number of people that live here.
    Steam: Viral Frog

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    When you say "two trucks" do you mean two companies with a few options each or are there actually just two trucks?
    The trucks are modular, so there are different engines, cabs and transmissions etc that unlock as you level as well as 'stock' options (basically different configurations of the above parts). So two companies, with a bunch of bits and pieces.

And on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Henke View Post
    ... but I don't use it with ETS2/ATS, mainly because I don't see how I'd be able to look around while using it. (any tips, wheel users?)...
    There are setting in the game for both blinker based head turning and steering based head turning. I've got a G27 and the gear up and gear down switches behind the wheel are very good for that sor of thing too. Although what I really use is my webcam and Facetrack NoIR, works like a charm and uses real head movement for looking around, just with the webcam.