Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Network Hub

Management games?

Let's start this off with the fact that I realise I'm probably being overly fussy and likely impossible to please but any effort to try will be appreciated.

I'm looking for a game that could be called a management game. The problem is I don't want it to have anything to do with sports, and would prefer it to not be combative. (I like eu4 but it doesn't scratch this particular itch)

I've tried motor sports manager and it almost gets there despite being about racing but ultimately I have zero interest in the setting of the game.

Cities skylines and the newest anno games were close but weren't exactly what I was looking for wither, being too close to city builders which tend not to have the things I'm looking for. Planet coaster was a good effort but lacked challenge and depth but was a nice break and will be played for the ability to make awesome looking stuff still.

I tried dwarf fortress and do really well with everything except the military which continues to evade my understanding, I feel like I don't quite get rim world either...

Does anyone have any suggestions for me after my vague and probably unhelpful ramblings. Thanks in advance

Network Hub
    If you want one with no military engagement, then I'd suggest OffWorld Trading Company. Focused entirely on economic competition.

If you want something with some military, but one that's more card and number based (No tactical choice or skill required) then I'd suggest Pre-dynastic Egypt

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Gus_Smedstad's Avatar
    I suspect you're talking about what we called "tycoon games" in the days of yore, after Railroad Tycoon. Business sims of one stripe or another.

I like those sort of games, but looking at my list of Steam games, it's been a long while since I've seen anything decent in the genre.

I personally recommend against Offworld Trading Company. Too real time. Even when you are supposedly paused, the AI players are still taking the same sort of actions you can take while paused. Presumably because it's really intended as a multiplayer game, not single player, and you can't pause humans.

Factorio? It's not a management game, it's an automation / logistics game. It has combat, but the combat can be largely automated through defense turrets, and you can turn it off entirely if you want.

Network Hub
    I actually own OffWorld Trading Company but haven't played since early access, I understand there is DLC as well now.

I'd heard of Pre-dynastic Egypt, it doesn't look like it has a lot of replay value but for the price it might be worth it for one good run through. It's up on the list to consider first thank you.

I don't mind some military if necessary.

Edit: missed your message while typing. Yes factorio looks good.

I guess a Tycoon type game is what I am looking for. Digging through the archives I found patrician and port royale as old games that scratched that itch as well. Is there something along those lines I'm missing?
    Last edited by jerseyspud; 26-07-2017 at 04:00 PM.

Would Prison Architect qualify? There are some small combative elements in there, especially when your prison population gets out of hand, but it's not a full-on strategy game in any way.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. G3rt

Guild Wars 2 characters: Norgothus (Norn Necromancer), Maggrivo (Charr Warrior)

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    Never go full Wulf.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bobtree's Avatar
    It might help if you tell us what you like about management games, or if you have any favorites.

Startopia and Tropico (the original) are still the classic standard bearers, IMHO. Prison Architect and RimWorld are strong recent games, but as mentioned RW/DF are heavy on combat, and they're really about the soap opera.

Patrician 3 is great if you like hardcore economic games. It starts as a manual trading sim, but has a lot of layers to grow into (route automation, production, politics). I would second Offworld Trading Company, but it's a fast paced RTS.

I own but have not played Maia, Industry Giant 2, Constructor, and Mob Rule. Imagine Earth is leaving early access this fall and looks intriguing. There are lots of other economy/building/logistics games, and related things in similar genres like 4x and RTS. Rise to Ruins is a hybrid builder/management/god-sim/defense game (a little like RW/DF), but I wouldn't recommend it until they add speed controls.

After The Empire is a neat coffee-break to afternoon-scale score-chasing 4x (really 2x, no explore/exploit), stripped down to mainly growth rates and deciding where to invade (it's not a "mob your units" type game). It's easy to pick up and play, despite newbie info overload and small fonts (launch options can lower the resolution), and has a lot of nuance in the model if you want to slow down, turn up the difficulty, and dig into the numbers. I wouldn't have mentioned this one, except you brought up sports/motor managers, which I see as being primarily about stat tweaking. In AtE you pick or customize your setup that determines which building types you get bonuses & penalties from, make a building auto-template (applied to all new territories) to match it, and go to war (one or more of 3 flavors with different side effects) based on your strengths, sometimes intervening manually to fix a bad situation or make a risky or opportunistic play. It can be as quick (realtime at 1 turn/s, + speed settings) or as turn based and detailed as you want. Maybe look at the dev videos or manual on Steam if this interests you.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobtree View Post
    Maia
    Maia is good, one to keep an eye on but at the moment I wouldn't go for it. Its simulation heavy, the colonists get eat and refill calories that get used up during work and different jobs have different calorie burn etc, there is hypothermia and sweating and the balance of priority is off atm.

The dev has recently done a balance pass on all the needs to help the AI do lower priority stuff more often but its only on the dev branch so we wait and see how that goes.

Also the other big block to some players is the minimal UI, there is no report sheets or health bars, you have to watch your colonists to figure out their problems. And its early access and needs optimisation.

How about Oxygen Not Included? http://store.steampowered.com/app/45..._Not_Included/
    Its a 2d side on space colony management game from Klei. Its fussy in its wiring and piping that can tickle certain itchs. It is early access aswell so they are always adding stuff.

Patrician 3 is great if you like hardcore economic games. It starts as a manual trading sim, but has a lot of layers to grow into (route automation, production, politics).
    True, but I wonder why would you prefer a game that has aged not well to iterations of the same formula such as Patrician IV or Rise of Venice?

Despite their low ratings, my understanding is that the main criticism boils down to "more of the same", which is not a bad thing when the older game may not support properly higher resolutions or aspect ratios that are common nowadays, and generally play nicer with contemporary machines.
    The Onward March of Bundles - Bundles, bundles, bundles! click on this nao! Humble Monthly September 2017 Edition instantly unlocks Killing Floor 2, and other marvelous games later, you can betcha! Like what I'm doing? new subscriber? just want me shut up? use this link, please!, some vBucks are thrown at me, no cost or inconvenience is thrown at you! Thankees! Steam - HowLongToBeat - weirdfish#2792 (HotS)

Whatever we do to the Web, we do to ourselves.

I picked up P3 because it's reportedly still the best of the series.

I'll take your word for it, though having enjoyed Port Royale 2, which I believe is along Patrician III one of the last 'true' Ascaron games, thus based on the same engine but newer than P3, and having just paid a visit to PCGW, it does appear I am correct about the technical issues:

https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Patric...e_of_the_Hanse
    The Onward March of Bundles - Bundles, bundles, bundles! click on this nao! Humble Monthly September 2017 Edition instantly unlocks Killing Floor 2, and other marvelous games later, you can betcha! Like what I'm doing? new subscriber? just want me shut up? use this link, please!, some vBucks are thrown at me, no cost or inconvenience is thrown at you! Thankees! Steam - HowLongToBeat - weirdfish#2792 (HotS)

There are resolution mods for Patrician 3.

Activated Node
    It has some middling reviews, and my own experience of it is only from it's demo, but maybe Spice Road might be worth a look? City building, town and economic management in varying degrees.

Some indie management games:
    Planetbase - Colony management game. Base building, production chains. Has a "security" component.
    Basement - Drug making/distribution business simulator. :) In sandbox mode it plays like a tycoon game (in EA, but the gameplay works).
    Mad Games Tycoon - Develop your own game company. More complex than Game Dev Tycoon.
    Turmoil - Oil drilling sim set in the early 20th century. Simple but fun.

There are resolution mods for Patrician 3.
    Do they do anything for the UI being old and designed for what are regarded now as small screens? also I remember other technical issues.

Personally, if I were going to buy one of these games today, that would factor in my decision: a modern game does have advantages that most old ones simply cannot offer.

Of course, different strokes for different folks.

I didn't have any trouble with it, UI or otherwise, but then I'm the sort who likes to read manuals. Someone I know played it the hard way (trial & error), and their late-game complaint was having to repeatedly re-equip many ships by hand to replace those lost to piracy. I later read that you can (almost) hunt the pirates out of existence (there will always be at least one) to cut down on this.

I didn't have any trouble with it, UI or otherwise, but then I'm the sort who likes to read manuals.
    I remember reaching for the PR2 manual when trying to setting up some automation, the details were so sparse I couldn't figure out why the game wasn't working the way I expected it to. Dunno, though, maybe P3's was better.

Anyway, you can certainly be fine with a game from 10 years ago, but that doesn't erase the fact that most games from 10 years ago hadn't been designed with contemporary machines, or their OS, in mind, and the UX quality hasn't generally trended upwards over the years \\_(ツ)_/

I was kind of hoping you would explain what exactly makes P3 so worth putting up with the passage of time, but, okay, let's just leave it at that.

P3 caught my interest this year because it still has dedicated players, some with thousands of hours played, the economy is very elaborate and you can interact with or manage or build nearly every part of it, and comments like this one put me off #4. I gather PR2 is quite similar, but less popular.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    You could also look at something like Railroad Tycoon II or maybe Capitalism II? GOG has a bunch of these kind of older management games that will work fine on modern PC's.

Play the original XCOM or Terror From The Deep. Very managerial-ish.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    oh yeah, good choice icemann, i'd even suggest OpenXcom as the best modern take on those 'best of' games :)

Edit: however they are pretty much ALL about the combat, although as it is tbs, it also feels nicely 'managerial'