Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar

Good riddance, game boxes

Earlier this week a bookshelf of mine collapsed in the night, spilling its contents onto my living room floor. While cleaning it up I asked myself why I was hanging onto these relics as I do not have much space in my apartment and I certainly haven't touched these boxes for years. Hell, my current PC doesn't even have an optical drive and it is over four years old. So I decided to toss these out with the trash, where they belong. It also helps that I own all but two of these on Steam or other online platforms.

Something in me decided that I should hang onto the discs though, even as I toss out the boxes, manuals, CD keys and other assorted bits and bobs that came with each game. So I stuffed the discs into a Case Logic binder already crammed full of games and stuck it beside my desk, where it will no doubt remain collecting dust for years more.

How about you lovely folks, do you find the transition to ephemeral game ownership as hard as an old fart like me does?
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR
    The Red Blades, a Battle Brothers AAR

It doesn't bother me on PC. The vast majority of my PC games are on Steam and I can't imagine a situation where Steam is no longer a platform. There's little hassle and even some convenience in account ownership. The only problem is that Steam isn't as good as GOG in long term compatibility.

But consoles, that would be a whole other story. You know it will be a hassle to play your games in a few years. I'm pretty sure ownership on Nintendo platforms is still hardware based (if it's not now, it was recently). HDDs are always a bottleneck.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Gus_Smedstad's Avatar
    Yes and no.

I'm very comfortable with my Steam library. If anything, it seems a little more permanent than my disc library. I've purchased Steam copies of games I owned a long time ago because I have no idea where my original CD and box went.

On the other hand, I have a lot of old game boxes and discs that I'm reluctant to throw out. For example, I have the box for Sid Meier's Alpha Centuari over there, and a CD album with games like Freedom Force. I'm never going to replay any of them, but I can't bear to throw that stuff out.

The ones I have I'll keep, but it's since I got working broadband internet that I haven't bought a single PC boxed game (apart perhaps a Civilization IV GOTY copy because I wanted to play multiplayer with my brother), it's always GOG.com then Steam if GOG doesn't have it.
    Perhaps for people that lived in big cities or just on the mainland it's different but I remember when getting a boxed game either required taking a ferry and lose a day or pay quite a lot of money for postage and packing (and not having prepaid cards or paypal meant even higher expenses since payment on delivery always costed more), so most of my boxed games come from the times when I went on the mainland for whatever reason and had time to stop and buy something, and even then a lot of times I couldn't find what interested me.
    "I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
    "People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bobtree's Avatar
    do you find the transition to ephemeral game ownership as hard
    Harder. It pains me to see them discarded. I would have at least kept the inserts and covers.

We had a box nostalgia thread a while back, for which I photographed my collection.

I find it a bit depressing that the last boxed PC game I bought was Dragon Age Inquisition, almost 2 years ago. I nearly bought XCOM 2 retail for $20 a couple weeks ago, but then I decided it wasn't backlog compatible.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Eight Rooks's Avatar
    Not particularly hard, and I'm an old. I ditched nearly every piece of physical media I could ages ago. I still have a few hundred DVDs, BluRays etc. but even then they're essentially just serving as backups - I only ever use my drives for ripping stuff. Ditto the games I emulate. I doubt I'll ever buy another physical copy of a game or a piece of music as long as I have the choice - and I only buy movies, TV etc. because a lot of the stuff I like isn't available on iTunes etc. (or takes years to get there). I know digital is far from perfect, but my God, the space it saves and the convenience it offers far outweighs whatever pleasure I got from wistfully stroking the spines of my physical collection every now and then.
    Smashwords (free stories I wrote) | Steam | Tumblr (reviews, games crit etc.)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus zanchito's Avatar
    I'm very much against clutter and stuff, so I don't miss the boxes. I never read the manuals anyway, that's the manly thing to do. That said, I'm happy there are collector editions with physical stuff, sometimes you want something you can touch. I'm abashed that games are still as expensive (or even more) when there are no physical goodies + logistics to deal with. Add to that the multiple DLCs and games have doubled in price while delivering less. /old man rant.
    Steam: Zanchito || Guild Wars 2: Gatonegro || The Secret World: Mescalitoh || Elite Dangerous: CMDR Zanchito

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    My game boxes had a cull when I moved into my current house about a 7 years ago. Oh, I fretted about all the games I'd lose ability to play, but my current PC doesn't even have a DVD drive installed. I've ended up accumulating most of the games I really wanted off my discs, except SWAT 4 *CRIES*
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BillButNotBen's Avatar
    I haven't bought a boxed game in over 10 years... but I'm still kinda nostalgic about the old boxes, manuals, smells, etc...
    I'm hanging on to a bunch of old game boxes & discs at my parents house... but every time I go back I end up throwing out a few more to save space.
    I think I'm down to about 8 now.

I don't miss the discs... but I do kinda miss the experience and atmosphere that surrounded them.
    I also doubt I'll ever buy another physical game though... except maybe a second-hand one that I can't find anywhere else.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Oh, I still buy boxed games, I just install the steam key, stick the disk in a DVD bag and recycle the box.

But the UK still has some aggressively discounted retail copies, not true everywhere.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Japan has some aggressively inflated retail copies, hence not ever even bothering to look in games shops for 9 years.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    On the one hand i like(d) them - I even have my Atari 8bit and Amiga game boxes lying around, but at the same time we do save trees (or something) by not having them. I like that in GOG i can have a 'view' of my virtual game shelf where i can see the game box art, so that is nearly as good as the real thing for me :)

I still own a cardboard boxed copies of Unreal, Broken Sword 1 & 2 and other games... and when I die and have my viking funeral they're going to burn me with them! Guess I'm too nerd, because I have them like they were trophies.

Network Hub
    I only keep or buy the boxed games when it's the only way to get the game(classics) or the physical copy comes with a bunch of sweet goodies(Witcher games). I'm perfectly fine with the nu way of doing things. On PC at least, with consoles it's a real pain in the ass.

While I don't think I'd buy a boxed copy of a game any more (I'm pretty comfortable with digital distribution) I find it hard to just throw away my box collection. I don't have space to keep them either so I'm just giving them away to my friends.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobtree View Post
    I find it a bit depressing that the last boxed PC game I bought was Dragon Age Inquisition, almost 2 years ago.
    A quick glance at the picture above makes me think New Vegas is the most recent title there, and it is from 2010. I'm not sure why I hang onto these discs, but I do. Hell, I have spindles and spindles of CDs and DVDs that I never use any more, they just sit on a shelf. I have zero problem throwing other crap out that I do not use, but when it comes to these little plastic discs I just cannot make myself do it. Perhaps when I move I'll finally do it.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR
    The Red Blades, a Battle Brothers AAR

Oh.. I couldn't see the image on the PC that I replied from before, but now I can see it.

Those don't look like proper game boxes, they look like those dvd-sized boxes they introduced a few years back.. those don't count - no nostalgia for them.
    Proper big boxes is what I have nostalgia for...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'd keep the manuals and those that come in DVD boxes since those don't take much space. The big boxes really need too much space for their contents, so I'd get rid of them, too. Luckily, I only have about as many retail PC games as you do, so they don't take up too much space.

Actually, I bought half of them because they're uncut versions, which were hard to obtain in my country - but still all legal. I can't get those uncut versions on Steam right now either (without some VPN shenanigans or something), so I kind of have to keep them. Stuff like the Dawn Of War series, which have lots of the gore removed in the German version.

But also English versions, where the game didn't release here with English voice-overs. I prefer playing games with their original voice-overs and German sub-titles.

I only ever still buy music CDs, because music is the most timeless media to me, by far, and I don't pay money for mediocre, over-compressed MP3s. Everything else I only consume digitally. I like watching movies, but in general I never watch them more than once, so buying them seems pointless. They also keep re-releasing them at higher resolutions, which I kinda approve of for archival purposes, but on the other hand doesn't feed my desire to own them myself.
    Last edited by DanMan; 02-10-2016 at 03:56 PM.
    Resident graphics snob.

And remember: Bad practices often become a trend, if not dealt with promptly.

I used to collect some games - mostly PC Star Wars games in their boxes. When I moved from Germany to Austria I got rid of most of my boxes, with one exception: Darklands. And I also still have Starflight the original DOS release which came in an old pop open sleeve like booklet (so not a box) which I bought in a pawn shop in North Carolina in 2002 for 5 bucks in near mind condition with all papers/code wheel (I doubt the 5 1/4 inch disks work, though).

Other than that I kept some manuals I was fond of - e.g. Flying Corps's reprint of Manfred von Richthofen's war diary, 12 O'Clock High's elaborate history of the Allied bombing campaigns of WW2, and a few others.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Got rid of most of mine and don't buy physical anymore BUT, I've developed a pretty hardcore boardgame habit to feed the urge.