Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Parting Ways with Gaming

Its been coming for some time now, but I'm drifting further from gaming with each passing day. I've lost the fun in it. I look at games now, and all I see is a monopoly board with different street names, packaged and sold for $60 as a "new" game. Over and over again.

I wanted to say Thanks to this community. For the advice. The pointers. The reviews and thoughts on games. The experiences I might have missed, had I not taken the advice of a few here. For the things I have learned - about gaming and about myself. Its been a pleasure interacting with RPS and its readers.

I may stop in from time to time. See what people are playing. Look for something genuinely new and novel that might pull me back in at least long enough to remind me of the time when I thought games were new and shiny and fun. Or...I might not.

Dont know where I'll go from here. At two years shy of 40, I feel a lot of things changing. Not all of them for the better. And not all of them for the worse. But my taste in entertainment certainly is one of them. As my girl and I age, and our pets approach their 6th year, time has become more precious to me. I have thoroughly and forever lost my patience with having it wasted with grinding and the performing of repetitive tasks that exist to inflate the time spent on a task and for no better reason. And gaming seems more and more fond of such tasks with every passing release season.

For those enjoying it, dont let society or peer pressure tell you its wrong or juvenile. Believe me, its not. Recently, I experienced how the "other half" lives. And it seems to me they're either staring at their TV, hoping to be enthralled by yet another sitcom or Netflix original, or living vicariously through children on whom they place far too much pressure and in whom they see more of themselves than perhaps they should.

So play. Game. Live your life. And dont let others tell you its wrong.

For me, though...the time has come to move. I've seen Geralt's tale through. And I long suspected that, except for some nighttime drives in ETS2/ATS to relax, that would be my farewell to gaming. That precognition has turned out to mostly be true, timely...and right. For me, anyway.

So...farewell. Or mostly farewell. And thanks again. Its been a genuine pleasure. Perhaps I'll see you round as I peak every now and then at a world I used to know. Or perhaps some time away - some real, lengthy time away - will restore the shine and I'll come back again, rejuvinated and ready to game.

Who knows. But for now, tis goodbye. And thanks.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LordShadoko's Avatar
    This is very moving and very well written, and despite being half your age, I share some of the feelings you have towards recent games and the effect the passing of time has on our hobbies.
    Farewell, good sir/madam/whatever else in-between !
    Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
    Fallen London

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    You are welcome for the fish.
    I am once again writing a blog, vaguely about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

In case of forum degradation pull cord.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Not entirely surprising, you have been expressing your disaffection for a while now. Well, gaming is not special, it is a hobby and like all hobbies - or, frankly, any activity - it can eventually wear out neural pathways in our brains and stop doing anything for us. That is why diversifying interests is important.

Do what is good for you, live your life and be happy! Definitely don't waste your time on things that frustrate or annoy you. Thanks for being part of this community, do come back if you ever feel like it!

Lesser Hivemind Node Det. Bullock's Avatar
    For what is worth I think you never truly part ways with gaming as you never part ways with books or movies or TV.
    Lately I've been slowing down in all departments, but I still follow Doctor Who, watch the occasional movie and even when I almost stopped with videogames I still went for a bit of Wolfenstein 3D or X-wing vs Tie Fighter, and even lately when real life health problems messed up my concentration skills I still find myself reading a book or two once in a while.

I know people like to define "gaming" as a "joblike" hobby like bricolage, but it really isn't, and as such is difficult to stop completely with it, because even minesweeper is a game whatever elitists say.
    "I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
    "People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mouton View Post
    Do what is good for you, live your life and be happy! Definitely don't waste your time on things that frustrate or annoy you.
    Yes, this. Life is too short to be spent not enjoying your hobbies. I took some time off from PC gaming earlier this year and got into tabletop RPGs once again, after a twenty-odd year break in that. Whatever you choose to do in place of gaming, don't forget to enjoy it.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    The Red Blades, a Battle Brothers AAR

It was great to have you! Time wasted doing something you enjoy is not wasted at all, but there are lots of different things to enjoy and being particular about which ones to spend time on is a wise thing to do. Just don't forget us!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Krathor's Avatar
    Thank you, Blackcompany.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcompany View Post
    I have thoroughly and forever lost my patience with having it wasted with grinding and the performing of repetitive tasks that exist to inflate the time spent on a task and for no better reason. And gaming seems more and more fond of such tasks with every passing release season.
    In August last year, I took a new job and thought I'd be left with a decent amount of time on evenings to still game. Anyone who frequents the Game Clubs... section will know my activity dropped off a cliff, as I found less and less time for games. Turns out my job requires a lot more travel than I anticipated.

So I completely agree about the stupid amount of busywork games now demand. As a player of MMOs, I'm used to the grind... but I can't help but feel a lot of developers are filling their games with grinding just to give the top 10% of players something to do, in exchange for alienating those of us who have precious little time.
    Guild Wars 2:

Main character name is Seigous Bearheart. I also play on Duke Witherheart. And Lindenheart.

My GW2 blog that you can follow on Twitter.

Take care and all the best! I think I get what you're saying re: getting less enjoyment out of a hobby and realising that time, indeed, seems much more precious all of a sudden. Changing/dropping/acquiring new hobbies and/or habits is not inherently something sad, it entirely depends on how you perceive it. I guess one can be content with having found something that brought joy and excitement for such a long time.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I feel blessed i got into gaming in the Olden Days. It's given me a great ability to see beyond the modern day AAA pretties, and find enjoyment in all the great games that have been made down the years. I still have so many great games to really get into and new Indies can often be surprisingly refreshing, i just see a mountain of (mostly older) gaming goodness ahead as i move towards the twilight years :)

Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    It was great to have you! Time wasted doing something you enjoy is not wasted at all, but there are lots of different things to enjoy and being particular about which ones to spend time on is a wise thing to do. Just don't forget us!
    Totally agreed. It was nice to have you here, and I hope you stop by now and then.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. G3rt

Guild Wars 2 characters: Norgothus (Norn Necromancer), Maggrivo (Charr Warrior)

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    Never go full Wulf.

Banned
    Good luck Black. I take regular breaks from gaming as a rule. A long time ago I realised that I have to be in the mood to play games and that it should be a pleasure rather than a chore. If I'm not in the mood then I just do something else.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus TheDreamlord's Avatar
    Enjoy your time off and really looking forward to your next comeback with E:D rant #345 ;-)
    As you say, life is too short to do anything that does not fill you with enjoyment in your spare time. Hope you find something fulfilling. If it all fails, funny cat videos ftw!

Obscure Node
    I feel the same about gaming for some months. The only thing that keeps my interest is Gwent, online Go and some board games with friends (Haggis in particular). I have some hopes for Bokida and Into the Breach (also Gorogoa perhaps?).

Take care!
    Last edited by m1ts0s; 25-05-2017 at 10:51 AM.