Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

RPS Forum YouTube favorites for thinking men with a preference for the written word

Or cranky old retro-grouches with a thorough dislike for YouTube, as it is. I'll start with PewDie ...just trolling :P

Innuendo Studios.

Help out, I decided to finally subscribe to channels I like instead of keeping them around as bookmarks, so Google can have a better chance at monetizing my data.
    The Onward March of Bundles - filling your backlog since 1911. For a list of active deals, and more, click here.
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"I'm too big of a hothead, I've got a history, I've got implants...take your pick."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Procrastination Giant's Avatar
    The only two gaming and gaming essay channels on youtube that survived multiple grumpy list-pruning sessions over the years and which I'd recommend almost universally are:

The unfortunately named SuperBunnyHop
    and Errant Signal

Everything else on my humble list is either too genre/niche-specific (LGR, various strategy channels, etc.) or too much of an acquired taste (That... Jim fellow for example) to simply throw them out there.

---

EDIT:
    How silly of me, I forgot to mention BardicBroadcasts! Mandatory channel! His review of Heroquests is the best gaming related video ever made, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong. *runs*
    Last edited by Procrastination Giant; 10-11-2016 at 01:25 AM.
    Bullshit makes the flowers grow and that's beautiful!
    Poke me on Steam, if you must.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus zanchito's Avatar
    I myself usually go to Christopher Odd's channel for both ideas on interesting games and alternate experiences with story games.
    Steam: Zanchito || Guild Wars 2: Gatonegro || The Secret World: Mescalitoh || Elite Dangerous: CMDR Zanchito

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    VideoGaiden might be off season now, but it shames most YouTube shows for brevity, I guess it makes sense that it's properly on television sometimes, someplaces.
    I am once again writing a blog, vaguely about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqJ...KyLTjn6z2XwYAw

Mark Brown fella have nice videos about game design.

Seconding Mark Brown and Errant Signal, adding Jim Sterling and Turbo Button.

And of course it probably goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway: RPS' Fail Forward series.

Lesser Hivemind Node Det. Bullock's Avatar
    Noah Caldwell-Gervais did a few interesting videos about games.

Extra Credits of course.

Superbunnyhop, Jim Sterling and Errant Signal have already been mentioned.
    Last edited by Det. Bullock; 10-11-2016 at 03:41 PM.
    "I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
    "People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

The Accursed Farms channel, of Freeman's Mind fame, does a series called Ross's Game Dungeon which have a few videos I really enjoyed, particularly the ones on Deus Ex, Invisible War and Human Revolution. I haven't watched most of the others but he manages to say something interesting in all the videos I've watched.

I appreciate what Jim Sterling (and TotalBiscuit) do I suppose; but I feel like they both have a bit of an issue with being more verbose than necessary.

Why don't you share some others who you feel are more succinct?

Admit it alms, this thread was an experiment to see how long it takes until it devolves into a discussion about TB or the #1 Kissboy Jim Sterling. You're trying to compile some sort of TB/Sterling blacklist, arntcha? I'm on to you!

On that note: //warning: start of jim sterling related content - skip if you're allergic

Quote Originally Posted by Pink Gregory View Post
    I appreciate what Jim Sterling (and TotalBiscuit) do I suppose; but I feel like they both have a bit of an issue with being more verbose than necessary.
    That's actually interesting to me, since I usually use Jim Sterling's Jimquisition as an example of why I find TB to be overly verbose and how it should be done in comparison. The average Jimquisition has about 8-10 minutes of scripted monologue and he usually has a very clear point and position, whereas TB usually needs 30-40 minutes to discuss the same subject, while ultimately flipflopping back and forth and muddling his own point and position to the point of incomprehensibility.

But yeah, can only speak for the Jimquisition here, since I don't really watch his previews and first impression thingies all that often. He's probably more distracted there.

// end of jim sterling related content

And to stay on topic I'll throw another one out there that's a bit more of an acquired taste or a bit more specific:
    Cool Ghosts - I'm surprised that this one hasn't been mentioned yet! Some might find the overall tone too positive, so it's definitely an acquired taste, but the name Quintin Smith should ring a bell around these parts, and he's basically one half of that channel.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Who the hell watch 40 minutes long YT videos about someone's else opinions anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by GameCat View Post
    Who the hell watch 40 minutes long YT videos about someone's else opinions anyway?
    tldr
    tldr

Thank you all! did a lot of that subscribe button dance!
    The Onward March of Bundles - filling your backlog since 1911. For a list of active deals, and more, click here.
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"I'm too big of a hothead, I've got a history, I've got implants...take your pick."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Procrastination Giant View Post
    The average Jimquisition has about 8-10 minutes of scripted monologue and he usually has a very clear point and position, whereas TB usually needs 30-40 minutes to discuss the same subject, while ultimately flipflopping back and forth and muddling his own point and position to the point of incomprehensibility.
    To be honest, it is in large part a creative choice. TB is rather metrics-oriented and he has long established that his audience apparently prefers him drone for 40 minutes. Well, at least he doesn't have to scream or show cleavage.

Quote Originally Posted by mouton View Post
    Well, at least he doesn't have to scream or show cleavage.
    That would certainly alter the tone.

Quote Originally Posted by GameCat View Post
    Could be worse.
    You could listen to podcasts.
    Like me.
    (help!)

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    Could be worse.
    You could listen to podcasts.
    Like me.
    (help!)
    Podcasts are good for commutes, waiting rooms, work outs, while playing non aural games.

YouTube videos are sad desperate things cloying for attention, because dat revenue metrics.

Yeah, of all of these I think Noah Caldwell-Gervais is the most podcast-like and least youtube. The rest range from mediocrity fuelled "why am I watching this?" to "i guess silly voices and antics are funny...to someone".

I'd say most channels mentioned in this thread have certain podcast-like qualities or at least post podcast-like content that either doesn't completely rely on the visual aspect somewhat frequently or uses the visual aspect in a meaningful way. SuperBunnyHop's critical closeups or things like "a brief history of bots" or his recent japan series are a good example. Extra Credits or Jimquisition are essentially short podcasts and so on and so forth.

I guess it might have been a good idea to not only link the channel, but also 1-2 videos to highlight why they're worth subscribing/which content in particular to watch out for.