Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar

Thumbs up [VICII] Victoria 2 MP

Anyone in for a game of Vic2 (+2 big DLCs)?

I'd love to use NMM or Vickymod, but that's optional.

In case you're wondering
    "What on Earth is Victoria II?"

Victoria 2 does take place in the years from 1836 - 1924 and put's a greater emphasis on (Great Power) politics and economy than other Paradox titles. War between big countries is usually a very messy endeavour with only few provinces changing ownershop - if any at all - as fabrication of those CBs takes a long time in general. But it is also the age of colonialism and few uncivilized countries will have a say when Great Powers start expanding into Africa (the infamous "Scramble for Africa" being started by an event in the game).

Industrialization and eduaction are another important factor, with most countries only having none to few factories and only few countries having a literate populace at the start. Due to these reasons big nations like Russia will usually have a hard time keeping up, while small but educated and industrialized nations can rise to Great Power status.

The crisis system (albeit flawed) makes control of foreign territory a tricky business, as contested lands (= have cores other than your own or a sizeable minority) create "flashpoint tension" that may result in an international crisis, where suddenly all great powers have a say on what will happen. Through this a minor squabble over a colony or territories in the middle east can turn in a war engulfing the entirety of Europe.

And of course: Ottoman decline! Communism! Civil wars!

Anyway, here's a detailed AAR that does a good job in illustrating the core game.

Line-Up
    - Wolfenswan
    - INinja132
    - notenome (unsure)
    - kalelovil (NZ time)
    Last edited by Wolfenswan; 22-06-2014 at 06:08 PM.

Activated Node
    I'd be up for this.

Network Hub
    I might be up for it but Vicky 2 is one of Paradox's most seriously flawed titles, iirc. So I'm a bit cautious about us taking the plunge on this one.

You might be thinking of Vic2 without the two DLCs.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfenswan View Post
    You might be thinking of Vic2 without the two DLCs.
    Expansions, not DLC.

Network Hub
    Anyone in for a game of Vic2 (+2 big DLCs)?
    Yes, dependant on day/time.

4's a crowd!

I'm suprised by how few there are. Is Vic2 that unpopular/intimidating?

Network Hub
    The problem is that Vicky 2 belongs to that middle child-era (EU3, HOI3, Vicky2, EU:Rome) in Paradox's evolution. Crusader Kings 2 marked a huge upswing in quality that EU4 has maintained. So I think most people (who play Paradox games) are sticking with the two latter titles.

So, should we get this going then? I've got a fifth person who'd be in but doesn't have a forum account. I'm still in favor of Vickymod (latest version) but would am happy with either consensus.
    Last edited by Wolfenswan; 25-06-2014 at 06:26 PM.

Activated Node
    Never played Vickymod. Is it that important/different to vanilla with the two expansions?

Quote Originally Posted by INinja132 View Post
    Never played Vickymod. Is it that important/different to vanilla with the two expansions?
    NMM adds a host of formable nations as well as african nations and implements the Great War mod, which makes late game wars a lot more interesting by raising the stakes. Vickymod incorporates NMM and adds more fixes and balance tweaks on top. It's a lot of small changes that don't overhaul the game radically, just improve on it.

Activated Node
    Sounds pretty awesome. I'd be down for either vanilla or modded then.

Victoria 2 Collection (all DLCs) for 9.99€ at Greenman Gaming, 7,50€ with the voucher code
    0DGPMZ-PIFWMK-FJDYRG

Victoria2 + DLCs/Expansions is on sale again for cheap money (4.49 of $YOUR_LOCAL_CURRENCY).

I'd also love to convince anyone who feels unsure about the game, maybe a general Vic2 Discussion thread would help?

Personally I found Vic2 to be the most rewarding of the paradox games. It has it's jinks but the gameplay feels much more nuanced than the blobbing-sim that is EU.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Victoria 2 is great, I don't know why it's so neglected as it is the far more interesting period of history of all the Paradox games. The Let's Play looks good, thanks for the link.

I always love trying to make everything go communist.

I always love trying to make everything go communist.
    There's a mod in the works that tries to flesh out communism (as atm. even the hardcore communist governments work more like left-leaning social democracies due to the way economy and stuff is modeled). It's still rather incomplete though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Yeah my favourite game was still one where I repeatedly (as Britain) intervened in all of the US wars until they fragmented into weird communist states like the Manhattan Commune.

Network Hub
    So, when is this going to start?