Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Panama Papers

Panama Papers

Wow, so this is something. Arguably the biggest leak since Cablegate and perhaps even bigger than that. The repercussions could be immense.

Quote Originally Posted by Süddeutsche
    Over a year ago, an anonymous source contacted the Süddeutsche Zeitung (SZ) and submitted encrypted internal documents from Mossack Fonseca, a Panamanian law firm that sells anonymous offshore companies around the world. These shell firms enable their owners to cover up their business dealings, no matter how shady.

In the months that followed, the number of documents continued to grow far beyond the original leak. Ultimately, SZ acquired about 2.6 terabytes of data, making the leak the biggest that journalists had ever worked with. The source wanted neither financial compensation nor anything else in return, apart from a few security measures.

The data provides rare insights into a world that can only exist in the shadows. It proves how a global industry led by major banks, legal firms, and asset management companies secretly manages the estates of the world’s rich and famous: from politicians, Fifa officials, fraudsters and drug smugglers, to celebrities and professional athletes.
    http://panamapapers.sueddeutsche.de/...b8d3c3495adf4/

http://www.theguardian.com/news/2016...-panama-papers

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-35918844
    Last edited by Anthile; 04-04-2016 at 01:17 AM.
    Immersive Sims on Steam WIP

Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

Don’t you feel the same way? When I cannot see myself, even though I touch myself, I wonder if I really exist.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    From my own country's experience, those dark secrets are often too well-guarded that when they are leaked, you are almost sure that this is not an act of just. Uncover of criminal act of one fiction always benefits one's opponents.

BTW why as large as 2.6TB? all scanned PDFs? Oh, they should learn to use DJUV, haha~

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
    BTW why as large as 2.6TB? all scanned PDFs? Oh, they should learn to use DJUV, haha~
    It is the biggest leak ever. tens of thousands of pdfs can easily add up to a couple TBs. I would say 95% of stuff is really boring and unimportant.

but that 5% is already very juicy.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Watch as absolutely every single person involved evades any meaningful punishment whatsoever.
    I wrote a fantasy novel, called Lavender! Perhaps you'd like to read it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Watch as absolutely every single person involved evades any meaningful punishment whatsoever.
    Maybe I'm too cynical but I somehow doubt this is going to be a big important thing. It'll turn out lots of sleazy rich people were all not paying tax like we basically already thought, but not technically doing anything illegal.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yup. And they'll be backed up by a horde of idiots who say it's basically their ethical responsibility to pay as little tax as possible and we'd all be doing it if we could, because really what the rich need are a bunch of unpaid poor people who'll always fight their corner.
    I wrote a fantasy novel, called Lavender! Perhaps you'd like to read it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Eight Rooks's Avatar
    Well, Mossack Fonseca are already pretty much lying about it outright and no-one's calling them on it.

In a statement Mossack Fonseca said: "Your allegations that we provide structures supposedly designed to hide the identity of the real owners, are completely unsupported and false. We do not provide beneficiary services to deceive banks. It is difficult, not to say impossible, not to provide banks with the identity of final beneficiaries and the origin of funds."
    The documents lay out in explicit detail how these "allegations" are pretty much dead on, and yet no-one at the BBC can say "oh for God's sake shut up" because journalistic integrity, or something. And the less said about Putin's stooges and their pathetic "It's all an American plot to discredit Mother Russia!" the better.
    Smashwords (free stories I wrote) | Steam | Tumblr (reviews, games crit etc.)

Might want to check if there's your bank in the lists, ofc it may just be names having legal business among many less than legal ones but it's awkward nonetheless.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EPICTHEFAIL's Avatar
    Wait, people are actually shocked by this? Have I actually been living in a different universe to everyone else this whole time? Because in mine, it'd be shocking and scandalous to find a member of the upper classes who doesn't abuse tax havens as much as possible. Even ones who are considered reputable and decent human beings. Especially those.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BillButNotBen's Avatar
    It's interesting the wide range of people who are their clients. UK PM's dad. Norweigan(?) PM. Putin's mates. Top footballers. Japanese Security company presidents. Pakistan PM's kids. Chinese President's family members. Etc...

I wonder how you end up being their client? I just imagine that after you get to a certain level of wealth or power someone in a trenchcoat sidles up to you one dark night and passes you the card of a Panamanian law firm.

Considering the amount of effort I went to and time/energy I expended to fill in my taxes accurately when my income is tiny, I wonder why I bothered.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EPICTHEFAIL View Post
    Wait, people are actually shocked by this?
    That it's happening? I would hope not. What people are interested in is that now there's real proof of it happening.

Anyhow, I can't wait to see what else comes from this and how people will try and defend their actions.