Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar

New Nintendo Home Video Game Console: Switch

I don't know what it will be eventually branded, but right now it is so-called NX.

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming...rumors-1289401

Nintendo has finally submitted to the reality to admit that Wii U is a complete failure, but it does not succumb to it. Unlike Sega who had thrown in the while towel fifteen years ago, it strikes back. From other sources I read, Nintendo is switching its strategy from 180 degree, determine to lead this generation in computing power, so no more casual games on Nintendo home platform, this NX will be at least at par with this gen of Xbox and Playstation, and may possibly outpower them.

Other reports state that Nintendo has been shipping SDK of NX to some selected third-party developers, and those SDKs come with development environment for a secondary gamepad video output, just like Wii U.

Sorry to those Wii U gamers though. I hope Nintendo would make sensible decision to offer serious discounts for them to upgrade to NX.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Thats nice to hear,i like nintendo.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I still haven't finished Mario Galaxy or Twilight Princess, glad the big N is looking forward though.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    If I remember what I read correctly, the Wii U was consistently selling less units than the Dreamcast in their respective opening months. It's also a misnomer that the Dreamcast did badly, it just didn't do enough. A bit of a Hail Mary, really. At any rate, I'd imagine the NX would be backwards compatible with Wii U and 3DS software (it's supposed to bridge the gap between home and portable, we'll see how that works) or at the very least have transferable licenses for both. Which is another thing, this new system must, must, have an online and account system that is up-to-date because it is shocking how poor both the 3DS and Wii U ones are. They both released way after what we have now is standard practice and they still failed. It was only fairly recently that on the 3DS at least any form of unified account system was in-place, but it's still tied to your hardware (I believe the same is true for the Wii U, but it at least had the grace of having that at launch). There are tons of games on the eShop I want to buy for my 3DS, but I refuse to do so until I know that I can play them on any 3DS compatible hardware I might happen to have without having to phone up Nintendo and spend hours transferring details.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    One characteristic flaw that Nintendo must overcome if it is to stand a chance in the game hardware market: arrogant greed which knows no bound. I really don't know what Nintendo is thinking, like common sense doesn't work in those people's minds, as if they are from another planet. If they really understand that they need third-party software, be willing to share the profitability, dumbass!

Of course, they can introduce a console with a library consists only of Nintendo works. If they can afford to do just that, they really earn the right to look down on the others. If they cannot, well, face the reality, please, Nintendo.

And any game console in the second decade of the 21st century still being region locked, deserves to fail. Xbox has been a complete failure, no one here in his/her right mind would choose an Xbox, while Playstation sells like crazy.

But yes, online system is one shortcoming Nintendo may not be able to overcome. It is a Japanese company, after all, and Japanese generally hold a grudge against Internet for some reason unknown to the outside world. No, they are not technologically backward in this field, they simply are hostile to it. Sony could built a solid network for Playstation simply because it has western subsidiaries to support it so, and it would have played so differently be Sony a total Japanese firm.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BillButNotBen's Avatar
    Nintendo are going to have a hard time competing with smartphones, tablets and that kind of casual gaming.
    I assume the Wii U was their attempt to do that, but (from my very limited knowledge of it) it kind fell between the two stools.

I like Nintendo, they've always been a fun and innovative (in their own way) alternative to the other guys. The DS is still insanely popular among youngsters in Japan, but other than that mobile has pretty much taken over. PS4 is surviving based on its hardware power, but nintendo's whole casual market has basically switched over to staring at small phone screens. Frankly, I'm not sure how they can fight that.

If I were them I'd go with a straight up customized android tablet, like kindle fire, with exclusive access to their game catalogue and franchises, and with some kind of chromecast included to allow it to work on the big screen too. But I'd also allow it access to regular apps and android functionality.
    An andriod tablet + nintendo functionality would be a good purchase.
    A dedicated nintendo tablet without android functionality becomes an unnecessary extra purchase.

Years ago there were rumors of an apple/nintendo takeover/merger, or that nintendo would release a smartphone... imho they missed the boat on that.

--

It's true that Japan is generally highly skeptical of the internet, although mobile is a slightly different story. Consumers do use the net quite a bit, but they tend to stick to one or two well known sites (like yahoo). There are a lot of good internet tech devs in Japan though.
    Japanese protectiveness and vested interests, and skepticism about new business methods have mostly succeeded in keeping out things like mp3 stores, music streaming, video streaming, etc... though that seems to be finally breaking down now that apple music has launched and netflix has come to japan. Maybe the younger generation are much more open to that kind of thing. It's still hard for international firms to break in though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    If I were them I'd go with a straight up customized android tablet, like kindle fire, with exclusive access to their game catalogue and franchises, and with some kind of chromecast included to allow it to work on the big screen too.
    No, God, please, no. This is horrible idea. Look at big devs pulling out their games (like Bioshock) from iOS and Android due to system updates that just are forcing them to release patches over and over.
    If Nintendo wanted to compete with Apple, Sony etc. at tablet market they would have to make constant Android updates which in longer run could kill the device. What if third party gamedevs would say to them: "sorry Ninny, we don't have a cash to patch our game for n-th Android update that caused the mess again, we're pulling out"?
    Terrible, terrible idea.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GameCat View Post
    No, God, please, no. This is horrible idea. Look at big devs pulling out their games (like Bioshock) from iOS and Android due to system updates that just are forcing them to release patches over and over.
    If Nintendo wanted to compete with Apple, Sony etc. at tablet market they would have to make constant Android updates which in longer run could kill the device. What if third party gamedevs would say to them: "sorry Ninny, we don't have a cash to patch our game for n-th Android update that caused the mess again, we're pulling out"?
    Terrible, terrible idea.
    They would just need to keep a solid virtualisation platform, nintendo could be an active publisher rather than a ignominious hardware producer, curating the support. There is an open goal here, Nintendo could well take the next console generation.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Well, it could work only if all games were running on NintendOS + option to run Android as secondary OS.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Nintendo's plan on mobile is to partner up with a company who'll help them release made-for games for mobile and tablet. Which they've done. The fruits of this labour may take a little time to see, but it's already apparent with Pokémon Go, which I imagine will be highly successful.