Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

The Doom & Gloom Thread for the Intelligentsia: to Hell, in a Handbasket Edition

Last edited by alms; 15-07-2016 at 10:02 PM.
    Please make sure to read this short announcement!

The Onward March of Bundles - filling your backlog since 1911. For a list of active deals, and more, click here.
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

I can bring a casserole.

"This isn't even my final form" - 2016
    Immersive Sims on Steam WIP

Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

Donít you feel the same way? When I cannot see myself, even though I touch myself, I wonder if I really exist.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Last edited by alms; 16-07-2016 at 03:11 AM. Reason: post copied and split; edited for on-topicness

@Wenz I would recommend a monocle, and please sip your tea with your little finger up, my dear sir.

note, serious: this may work back up thread for terrorists attacks too, non-ISIS related, as soon as they make up their mind ofc.

At this time, it appears this has been staged not by the highest ranks in the military, which are claimed to have been captured as well, but rather the Colonels.

The Onward March of Bundles - filling your backlog since 1911. For a list of active deals, and more, click here.
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    OH FOR FUCK'S SAKE

Is there a mandatory quota of one (1) major news per day now? Is it the fucking Armageddon? Should I go to the beach watch the Beast emerge?
    Last edited by mouton; 15-07-2016 at 10:28 PM.

Airports are being shut down (Istanbul is closed already), Facebook blocked, national TV is off, looks like all form of mass communication are being affected. Istanbul seems in a kind of a massive gridlock though it's not clear whether it's people responding to the Mayor's appeal to go out in the streets or just stuff going to hell, etc.

They're claiming this is to write a new constitution to preserve secularity and democracy. I don't like coups, but at least they're saying the right things.

Not sure why this would qualify as hell in a handbasket. The military has staged several coups before without affecting the nation's relations with NATO or anyone else for that matter.

Personally I find it rather reassuring that the world continues to turn. The "End of History" era was both boring and generally insufferable.
    Last edited by Lethe; 15-07-2016 at 10:43 PM.
    What though the field be lost? / All is not lost; thí unconquerable will / And study of revenge, immortal hate / And courage never to submit or yield.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    Erdogan making a statement via FaceTime, we live in the future.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Malawi Frontier Guard View Post
    Erdogan making a statement via FaceTime, we live in the future.
    Not until we get hoverboards, silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Lethe View Post
    Not sure why this would qualify as hell in a handbasket. The military has staged several coups before without affecting the nation's relations with NATO or anyone else for that matter.

Personally I find it rather reassuring that the world continues to turn. The "End of History" era was both boring and generally insufferable.
    Sure enough but like in any coup, a lot of people tend to get lost in suspicious manner.
    Immersive Sims on Steam WIP

Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

Donít you feel the same way? When I cannot see myself, even though I touch myself, I wonder if I really exist.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Wow i don't know what to say in this thread, i can't wait to read it in the history books though. I do feel this is the start of a new chapte .

Network Hub
    this will be intresting as it unfolds, since turkey is part of the NATO. Wonder if this qualifies for a article 5.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Eight Rooks's Avatar
    I'm not entirely surprised by this, but still... Jesus.

One European Union source told Reuters that the military action "looks like a relatively well-orchestrated coup by a substantial body of the military, not just a few colonels"
    I could believe either one, tbh? Erdogan's pissed off enough people I could see a substantial body wanting him removed by force before the conflict with the PKK, his cult of personality, his move towards greater unity of church and state and all the rest of it do serious damage to the country. Unfortunately I could also see a small group being desperate enough to try and topple him, thinking they can get the people behind them. Possibly mistakenly - I mean, the man is vile, but I don't know that Turkey would be that much better off getting rid of him this way. I'd imagine a lot of Turks feel the same, however much they don't like him.
    Smashwords (free stories I wrote) | Steam | Tumblr (reviews, games crit etc.)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    End times? Nah. I'd say things are pretty much going as they always have, we're just more aware of it now thanks to the interwebs.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR
    The Red Blades, a Battle Brothers AAR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethe View Post

"Some men just want to watch the world burn." as Alfred said.

We've never really had an end of history era, much as Fukuyama might have wished it, and much as it might have promoted the long-term survival of the human species (for better or worse!), so I'm not really sure what you refer to.

But yeah military coups are a pretty regular thing for Turkey. Honestly they need to get rid of Erdogan - he's been doing everything possible to make himself dictator-for-life and has pretty much no respect for anything or anyone, but I suspect this coup will be a bust.

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    End times? Nah. I'd say things are pretty much going as they always have, we're just more aware of it now thanks to the interwebs.
    Not really - the 24-hour-news-cycle has been around since the '90s. Unless you're proposing there's been some kind of more recent change, I think we've all been around long enough to know that 2016 has been particularly bullshit-o-riffic.
    Last edited by LexW; 16-07-2016 at 12:19 AM.

So everyone is siding with Erdogan, but at the same time the DoS(?) is claiming that Erdogan has actually fled the country (edit: sources claim he was on vacation in the Aegean?), his request for poltical asylum turned down by Germany already, and would be now in flight with destination the UK.

The Atlantic points out:

The U.S. must cut off funding to Turkey if the coup is successful. The Foreign Assistance Act outlaws the U.S. from giving money to any overthrown governments until democracy is restored. At least in theory, that’s what’s supposed to happen.

The U.S. did not follow this during the 2013 uprising in Egypt. The aid continued (with a short suspension to the military) and the $1.5 billion the U.S. sends Egypt flowed unabated. The U.S. got around this by not technically labeling what happened in Turkey a coup.

The U.S. military sends between $3 million and $5million each year in military aid to Turkey. It also sends hundreds of millions in aid each year for counterterrorism ($943,099) and for Syrian refugees ($1.5 million). In all, Turkey receives $112,197,206. That money could stop flowing if Erdogan’s isn’t restored to power. But during the successful 1980 coup in Turkey, aid not only continued, it increased.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    So everyone is siding with Erdogan, but at the same time the DoS(?) is claiming that Erdogan has actually fled the country (edit: sources claim he was on vacation in the Aegean?), his request for poltical asylum turned down by Germany already, and would be now in flight with destination the UK.

The Atlantic points out:
    Interesting stuff. I sincerely hope the UK refuses him asylum too. We've given quite enough would-be dictators for life that, thanks! Kind of suggests he's already lost, though, talking like that, which means all his stuff about encouraging the people on to the streets is not just risking their lives, but risking them for nothing.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by LexW View Post
    " Honestly they need to get rid of Erdogan

he's been doing everything possible to make himself dictator-for-life and has pretty much no respect for anything or anyone,
    sometimes you need a strong person in power, just look at what happened to Iraq after hussein was removed, or libya after gaddafi. Im not saying he's the perfect leader, but I think he's one of the lesser evils.