Obscure Node

what treadmill to use?

Hi and sorry if this will be a bit off topic but I need help. Please no trolls and don't tell me to just run outside. As the title says, I need a treadmill as soon as possible and I want to know what is the best one before I just go buy one. I am looking at nothing more than $500. Can anyone help? This is the only list I found on google so far: http://www.sportsgearlab.com/best-treadmill-under-500/ Any feedbacks? Please serious runners only. Thanks!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Crosstrainers are so much better. Better for your core, don't wreck your knees, you can do upper body cardiovascular at the same time as lower.

Only problem is no hilarious videos of pets using them, unless you count monkeys?
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Crosstrainers are so much better. Better for your core, don't wreck your knees, you can do upper body cardiovascular at the same time as lower.
    Better for what? It really depends on what you want to do, a crosstrainer won't be of much use to someone looking to continue his cycling workout when the weather's no good for it.

Having said that, I'd recommend looking up some reviews and - this might seem obvious - check some cyclists/fitness blogs or forums. Still, I guess there's a chance that we've got some home-training people on here who can be of help.
    Forum janitor in training.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Reckon their is more liver than muscle across the RPS community, judging by the popularity of the 'What are you drinking' thread.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

I haven't been running for years, when I did the weather was usually manageable enough that I could do it outside - no specific recommendation from me.

Already given slowtwitch.com a try ?

This from 2015, not sure if they give treadmills as much consideration as turbos, however you can probably find plenty of relevant discussions on their forum.
    The Onward March of Bundles - filling your backlog since 1911. For a list of active deals, and more, click here.
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You wouldn't download a mouse" (Stellar Duck)

I'm a somewhat serious runner--I do 18-25 miles per week, but all outside as I live in a climate that's very conducive. That said, I've done extensive treadmill work in the past, always at gyms. I'd say you should go to a store and try a few out; most cheap treadmills are really too narrow to be safe. You want something that has controls you can operate while jogging, so large easy to reach buttons and easy to read displays. I'd stay away from any tilting feature; I just use speed and time when I treadmill. If storage is a concern, make sure it can fold. Anyway, try a few out at a store, then look at craigslist or classifieds. There are always tons of people trying to get rid of treadmills; you can pick a good one up for relatively cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_W View Post
    I live in a climate that's very conducive.
    Oh my Matt, I'm writing this still bundled up, my nose runny, my glasses fogged up but I'll manage to stay polite, see? :D
    The Onward March of Bundles - filling your backlog since 1911. For a list of active deals, and more, click here.
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You wouldn't download a mouse" (Stellar Duck)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Gus_Smedstad's Avatar
    I went through the treadmill buying process last year.

You're not going to find one that works for under $900. I know it's not what you're going to want to hear, but when you see articles talking about the importance of motor strength, it's not a vanity numbers thing, it's a serious issue. It took going to Dick's Sporting Goods and trying them out to really understand that. The cheap, low-HP treadmills won't start with you standing on the belt, and don't support running, period.

Matt's correct that you will see a lot of treadmills for sale cheaply on Craigslist. You need to know what you're buying, though, because you're going to see a lot of bad treadmills for sale.

I don't agree with Matt, however, about the slope feature. It's something of a your-mileage-may-vary issue, but I find the slope very helpful for attaining my target heart rate and keeping it there. Just a few degrees makes a surprising amount of difference in how much effort you need. Fortuntately, it's not really an either-or problem, any treadmill with enough power to be useable will have the slope feature.

I've got a Sole F63. IMHO it was the cheapest treadmill that was sufficiently functional to be useful. That's probably still the case, but I haven't researched treadmills again since last year.

If you can't afford a workable one, maybe you could get a gym membership? It's not as convenient, and it will cost more money eventually, but $250 for a year's membership is still less than $500.

Quote Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad View Post

I don't agree with Matt, however, about the slope feature. It's something of a your-mileage-may-vary issue, but I find the slope very helpful for attaining my target heart rate and keeping it there. Just a few degrees makes a surprising amount of difference in how much effort you need. Fortuntately, it's not really an either-or problem, any treadmill with enough power to be useable will have the slope feature.
    (...)
    gym membership? It's not as convenient, and it will cost more money eventually, but $250 for a year's membership is still less than $500.
    I second your comments about the slope feature. I have limited experience with treadmills (when I run, I usually do it outside), but I find it a useful way to add some intensity to a workout and make it feel more like running outside. A gym membership is interesting because you get access to a lot of other equipment too, like weights or rowing machines.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. G3rt

Guild Wars 2 characters: Norgothus (Norn Necromancer), Maggrivo (Charr Warrior)

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    Never go full Wulf.