Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus

It's time to rethink the "10 posts required to make a thread" rule

It doesn't work, does it?

All we get are lots of silly 1-liner posts - often necroing other topics or just cluttering popular ones.

I understand why it exists - to avoid people self-promoting/spamming - however there are cleverer ways to get around that I think.

Maybe restrict posting in the self promotion forum on that basis - but limit creating threads to a time period after account creation ( to cool people's jets - so to speak )??

Otherwise, it's kinda like asking someone to randomly make-up stuff before they can say what they really want to say - and 1 iffy thread (easily removed) is less moderation work than 10 pointless posts anyway?

Yeah we had this discussion a while back in modcentral too. I am in favour, actually, but you'll have to be wary of the BLACK MAGIC thread spam possibly showing up on other areas on the forum. There has been an uptake in those lately, and although removing such an account is just three clicks away (Now that we sorted that system to be both effective and fool-proof), it can be an annoyance.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BillButNotBen's Avatar
    I always want to ask them to elaborate on their one line.. but i figure that would just clutter up the thread more. (and the one time i did that the guy got really defensive).

Not sure there's any way to force people to write a longer post? Don't suppose there's a way to check if they have posted a post of more than xxx characters or something?

Or have a self introduction forum/thread and have some moderators check that and approve the thread posting rights of people who post a decent human introduction in it?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Not sure there's any way to force people to write a longer post? Don't suppose there's a way to check if they have posted a post of more than xxx characters or something?
    No. /19239234834384934343479347293472934792347934792374 923749234792374293749237chars.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    They have got it assbackwards, you should have to create 10 certified by a moderator high quality threads before you can post in other threads.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    All we get are lots of silly 1-liner posts - often necroing other topics or just cluttering popular ones.

(...)

Otherwise, it's kinda like asking someone to randomly make-up stuff before they can say what they really want to say - and 1 iffy thread (easily removed) is less moderation work than 10 pointless posts anyway?
    Totally agree with that.
    The Onward March of Bundles - filling your backlog since 1911
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

How about a subforum or section free from thread creation requirements?
    Won't prevent spamming anywhere after 10 posts tho
    Last edited by Wenz; 22-09-2015 at 10:24 PM.

Yeah this is a problem for me, I wondered onto the forum some months ago after being a rare commenter on the site for a while. Thought I could make a post. Couldn't. Did a sigh. Left the forum.

Its quite punishing for those of us with less than 10 things to say about other things, but a couple of things to say about something new.

TBH I don't think the problem with 8 posts is so much that it's hard to put them together, rather than it elicits all the wrong behaviors from human spammers: especially the smart ones who can maintain a facade of acceptable while being more or less obviously post count-y and/or self-promotional.

Regardless, for a while now I've been running a little experiment in Tech Help to circumvent the limitation, and there it seemed to kind of work, though it's pretty typical for new users to ask personalized advice on their hardware choices, while having little desire to accrue the post count.

There's now a new sticky in PC Gaming Discussion as well, working along the same lines: post your thread there and we'll split if it's OK. However, PC Gaming Discussion is a little more complicated, so, well, let's just see how it goes..?
    The Onward March of Bundles - filling your backlog since 1911
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Administrator
    This limit should now be removed: all registered users can create threads no matter what their post count.

If it leads to a disastrous spam and self-promotion explosion, let me know!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    This limit should now be removed: all registered users can create threads no matter what their post count.

If it leads to a disastrous spam and self-promotion explosion, let me know!
    erm - well that happened - took 10 days tho!

I thought we had a New Thread timer here - I'm sure I've been prevented from making 2 in a given period?

Network Hub
    The mods, with their reflexes honed by years of CODBLOPS et al, are doing a fantastic job sniping the incoming horde, but yes, after years of apparent peace it's clear a war is now on.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EPICTHEFAIL's Avatar
    So... is pest control getting here any time soon? We have a black magic infestation over in the PC Gaming forum that might need to be looked into.

Epic, the individual responsible for the majority of necroing there has been infracted.
    Guild Wars 2:

Main character name is Seigous Bearheart. I also play on Duke Witherheart. And Lindenheart.

My GW2 blog that you can follow on Twitter.

I agree with the rule, in spite of making this account only couple minutes ago. I see it as a tradeoff between spamming and (likely) necroing, the latter being lesser evil IMO.

Anyway, 99% "new" topics (low estimate) is already there somewhere, sometimes not even too deep beneath.

Network Hub
    Sooo, that's not working out too well after all.

No not really. I'll ask Graham about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    They have got it assbackwards, you should have to create 10 certified by a moderator high quality threads before you can post in other threads.
    *Points finger at quote*

Network Hub
    Or even just one or two high quality posts, you know.

Quality, before quantity. 10 posts with an eye on the clock are worthless.