Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Obscure Node

Full time job - what do we play?

All,

I used to be a proud gamer sinking thousands of hours into CS:GO, Starcraft 2 and many "git gud" games as well as a miriad of other offline/online games.

I have been working full time for almost a year now and I barely have time to play anything. I need some advice from you though. What could I play that isn't too heavy on my brain, that is quite powerful in feeling and maybe somewhat arcadey (but not necessarily).

Those of you who don't have much time - like me - what do you lot play? What do you relax with after work?

I'll give you an example. I bought DOOM when it came out and it was the best and most entertaining game I've played in the past 6-7 years. It gave me faith in gaming again and abolished that feeling of "am I actually getting old and bored of games?" However, I've finished the campaign a couple of times and grinded Ultra-nightmare and reached level 40 in multiplayer......and the feeling is kind of gone. I have also enjoyed several games that are quite rewarding without investing too much time and I am willing to share that. Another wild example (that I don't play anymore) is Heroes of the Storm.

What should we play next? Let's all have a chat shall we?

It's not what you're looking for but with less and less time to play I've found myself leaning towards turn based strategy games as my go-to when I have little time to play.

Hello, I am 50.
    I have been playing video games since I was 14.
    I have two kids and a career.
    You will find time I assure you. You'll go through phases where you'll think "this has gone to shit, I can't be arsed with it".
    However, there'll be many Doom moments when your suddenly reinvigorated and will rinse it for all it's worth.

Don't over analyse it. Go with what you enjoy doing and you'll always find time for fun. It's a ride mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    It's not what you're looking for but with less and less time to play I've found myself leaning towards turn based strategy games as my go-to when I have little time to play.
    this^, and rogue-likes
    Rock, Pen&Paper, Shotgun

"the operator of toast is a person"

Obscure Node
    Hm, as a fulltime job for nearly 2 years now- it's hard. I find myself being far more 'jumpy' with games. I have so many to beat and it's hard to keep up with new games coming out. I'm hoping that Total Warhammer keeps my interest, I've also been plodding through the witcher 3 very very slowly. I do find that I'm savouring the games I play more- because I really have to.

It's pretty tough sometimes and it still feels like I've not quite got the hang of it.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    You can keep playing the same kind of stuff that you played before, you just stop worrying about "beating" games. Realize that something that you might have devoted a couple of hundred hours to in the past might now get two hours before you move on. Find something, play what you like, ignore what you don't (or just like less), and move on to whatever else catches your fancy

At least you should have enough disposable income that game purchases feel a bit more "disposable"... So you don't get so upset if you pay $60 for a game that you play for five hours and never finish, or that you might buy games for $10-15 and never even install them because something else more interesting came along before you got around to them.

I can't speak for online competitive multiplayer though, as that was never a massive appeal to me in the first place. I'd guess that if you really want to be competitive, you might have to sacrifice other games (competitive and not) to gain and maintain your skills and ranking?
    Last edited by Baines; 26-05-2016 at 10:42 PM.

Solium Infernum is the best game to be playing in your head while either doing work which requires limited core cycles or has tiny breathers.

Only problem with Solium is how scarce feedback to your actions occurs, Dominions 3 with the CBM mod floods you with feedback to consider, but damn that game throws the game for diplomacy, anything other than a 2 or 3 side locked team match just turns into a mosh pit. I honestly intend to duel the grim reaper with Dom 3 CBM, oh, I expect to lose, but it'll be refreshing to be fully invested in the minutiae, quickly sergeant, fetch more blood slaves, we have a ritual to perform.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    I've also been working full time for almost a year (10 months), both jobs required weekend work but at least I'm only doing 36 hours now as opposed to the 46 I was doing. Anyway, I find it very hard to actually get into games because I live with my girlfriend in a pretty small flat. I think Mad Max is the most recent game I've played but MGS V is by far the one I play most often because it's easy to drop in and out of, as in I can do 5 minutes of FOB management if that's all my time will allow for, or I can do a few 10-minute FOB invasions, or I can spend hours doing ops, it's very scalable like that. Otherwise I infrequently do multiplayer, puzzle games or lightweight things I can run on my laptop while pretending to watch TV.

It's just as well that I'm not much of a 'story' guy, in recent years if I'm not playing, I'm not interested. Cutscenes will be skipped, and if they can't be skipped it'll take a very fun or compelling game to stop me from uninstalling.

It's sad though, I want to get really good at Arma 3 but I just don't have the time. I did the jet showcase the night before last and did it perfectly after 17 retries, now I want to be that good without the trial and error and save scumming. But I don't want to spend all my game time on it! Shame.
    :emofdr:

My girlfriend likes black closet and life is strange way more than I do and those make for fun 30 minutes of whatever.
    Occasionally she uses my laptop to play a shooter/ 2d stuff or watch anime so I bought more stuff like oxenfree, deadbolt, hotline miami, downloaded warsow for free (but Reflex is an option too if you are fine with quake cpma - I'm a bit of a shooter nut but doom pretty much has you covered for a while*).
    I want to recommend hyper light drifter but I shouldn't, it's a little harder than the usual action thing, you' ll spend a lot of time on anything you want to deal with in the game. It doesn't seem to suit your life style, give it a look anyway. It's waaaaaaay lighter than dark souls in terms of lore because it's so pointless to any rpg experience compared to the emotional stuff.
    You could give a look to transistor, undertale.....we had more threads for short games and some of those were amazing even if they never got big.

*you could give a look to devil daggers, sock's metal monstrosity and his quake maps in general, kill time with legions overdrive, ut4, serious sam 3, keep an eye on Mid Air and arms of telos, but yeah 2-3 of these are casual stuff and you don't get many single player experiences.
    Last edited by Wenz; 26-05-2016 at 11:48 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    May seem like a weird suggestion and may be something you have already played but: Dark Souls.

Been busy the last few months yet somehow end up playing huge amounts of Dark Souls 3 in the evening. It suits short bursts, there is a lot going on so even 20 mins to an hour can provide a lot of food for thought. It's not exactly relaxing but actually when I'm knackered that's not what I want. Dark Souls is effortlessly engaging. It won't lull you to sleep but it will make you feel alive.

Overwatch and Rocket League are all you need. Short, satisfying matches.
    ~

I work full time and I don't really feel like I don't have time to play games. I mean, more time for games would be nice and everything but I don't feel like I need a bunch more of it.

Once I got a real job, it was more the money that changed my gaming habits. When I was younger, I'd complete the games I bought at a higher rate and I'd do more side stuff in them just because I probably wouldn't be able to afford another one soon. It's kind of a double edged sword in that I don't waste time on games that aren't good but I also feel like sometimes I don't put in enough time in games with more complex systems to really get out of them what I should.

Broforce.

Wait, sorry

BRO FORCE! *eagle screech*

The levels are short so you can knock a lot on the head in a few minutes. It's got loads of levels though, it's not like you're going to get it sorted in a day or two. You can turn off and brute force your way through it up until the difficulty level gets to the point where you have to start thinking things through, better leave those ones to the weekend. There's lots of characters with powerful skills, lots of enemies that explode into showers of blood and lots of explosions so it's incredibly satisfying. And it's a laugh riot even when you get in a rut that's when it becomes a comedy of errors.

If that still doesn't sound appealing then there's a free one (The Expendabros) which you can check out to see if it's your bag. It's like a shareware episode in length, go on dude.

I have a full time job, a wife, and now we're expecting a baby (it should've been born yesterday, but it's not in the outside world yet :) )!

I have really little time for gaming, but I try to get at least an hour in before bed that's only if I'm not too tired, as I tend to give priority to games rather than sleep-time. I know that I can't last like that forever, and that's why sometimes I go to bed earlier than usual because I have to play catch-up with sleep.

Anyway, the thing that I discovered is that I like to play MANY games, I don't have time to focus on just one. I seem to be more jumpy as another guy in this thread said but when you have little time you don't have the luxury of dragging and slogging on a game that you're quite tired of. When I get to that point, I don't uninstall that game. I just put it aside, because I know that in quite some time I will get in the mood of playing it again.

The hardest thing I had to learn was not starting again from the beginning. There's no time for that nowadays.

BTW, can anyone recommend me some good turn based games to play why I tend to the baby?

super hot, ronin, congratulazioni btw;0

Thanks Wenz – or should I say – grazie ;)

And thanks for the tips too! I nearly forgot about Super Hot, I really need to look into that game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar

The past couple of months have been quite busy for me, and I've been having an excellent time with TrackMania 2.

Short games of about five minutes with tracks that usually take only 45 or so seconds to complete, and even if you think you're good at it, someone will come along to show you that you are not. It's a great, active, and highly competitive mutliplayer sphere that, and this might be the best part after a busy day, cannot ruin your gameplay. It's all about the individual time trial, so while you'll see the others' cars, you cannot physically interact with them.

A word of caution; I've heard it said here and elsewhere that this game is highly frustrating to some people. You might be able to see why in the video. But where other games often ask you to think of multiple things at the same time, here it's very simple: it's just that one car, everything else is static and unchanging. If you cannot reach this or that time, or make this or that jump, it's all on you.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Yeah trackmanias are great but I only played one for stunts. I simply don't have fun beyond stunts, at high speed. Not press forward maps. Not infinite speed.
    Closest thing to dethkarz I've found recently, in early access, doesn't look like much tho:

BTW, op, check indiegaf threads out
    http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1214847
    a new one pops up each month, there's something like 5+ years of excellent stuff of all kinds.

Concerning combining a full-time job with gaming: I try to pick games that suit the amount of time I have available. If I have an hour to spare, I'll usually play a few rounds of Team Fortress 2, a game of FTL or do a short flight in Flight Simulator X. If I have more time than that, I'll usually play other games, like Civ V or other games that can easily consume a lot of time. Someone before me recommended Dark Souls, but I find that I really need to have a couple of hours back to back to properly play Dark Souls. If you spend an entire session repeatedly dying in the same area or on the same boss it can easily destroy your sense of progress and can turn you away from the game (depending on your tolerance for failure, obviously).
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Gert

Guild Wars 2 characters: Norgothus (Norn Necromancer), Maggrivo (Charr Warrior)

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    Never go full Wulf.