Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus

MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries coming from MWO developers

http://www.mw5mercs.com/

Pre-Alpha Footage
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz8Y1V8gy1A

The year is 3015.
    Humanity has expanded to the stars, colonizing a vast region of space known as the Inner Sphere. Where the Star League once ruled in relative stability, generations of countless wars, alliances, and betrayals have divided the Inner Sphere into five distinct Successor States. These states, also known as the Great Houses, have fought and quarreled for centuries over the remnants of the Star League and control of the Inner Sphere. They are now in the midst of a Third Succession War, one which has been raging for almost 150 years.

While the battlefields of the Inner Sphere burn with an array of devastating weaponry, none is more formidable than the BattleMech. These immense fighting machines, piloted by elite fighters known as MechWarriors, dominate the wars of the future with enough firepower to annihilate entire cities.

In MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries you will adopt the role of a rookie MechWarrior pilot thrust into combat as the Third Succession War continues to fracture the Inner Sphere. Take contracts from the factions of your choosing and engage in tactical, first-person, PvE ‘Mech combat through an immersive, career-based Mercenary campaign driven by player choice. Victory, prestige, and profit will not only require skill on the battlefield, but in the acquisition, maintenance, and enhancement of your BattleMechs.

Set for release in 2018, MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries is under development by a dedicated development team at Piranha Games. MechWarrior Online, Piranha’s existing F2P multiplayer-focused tactical ‘Mech combat game, will continue its ongoing live development by the MWO team at Piranha.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I made the mistake of looking forward to MWO, they screwed it up completely. That trailer looks pretty, but it just has me wondering how they're going to screw this one up.

After Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries and Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries I really wish they'd gone with a slightly more interesting subtitle.

Even if it was Mechwarrior 5: Privateer or ... something.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EPICTHEFAIL's Avatar
    Hey guys, there's a new Mechwarrior game coming out, it's being made by the people who completely fucked up the last one. And tried to rip off Star Citizen but made actual spaceships a stretch goal. I wouldn't trust them to develop a toaster, never mind a new Mechwarrior. Oh, and they killed the last good Mechwarrior game (well, mod) and poached its developers. Maybe if the licence were given to a less incompetent and loathsome developer I'd be looking forward to it, but alas.
    Also known as ATrifleMiffed

Nope I'm outy.
    Steam ID: Sp4rkR4t
    Origin ID: Sp4rkR4t
    Battle.net ID : Sp4rkR4t#1773
    uPlay: Sp4rkR4t

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by EPICTHEFAIL View Post
    Hey guys, there's a new Mechwarrior game coming out, it's being made by the people who completely fucked up the last one. And tried to rip off Star Citizen but made actual spaceships a stretch goal. I wouldn't trust them to develop a toaster, never mind a new Mechwarrior. Oh, and they killed the last good Mechwarrior game (well, mod) and poached its developers. Maybe if the licence were given to a less incompetent and loathsome developer I'd be looking forward to it, but alas.
    Pretty much exactly this, yeah.

A new Mechwarrior game would be amazing, but these guys... yeesh.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BillButNotBen's Avatar
    Mech games seem made for VR.

Personally, I've always loved the idea of mech games, but they've never really lived up to expectations. I think maybe they need to be more like titanfall in that you play as a foot soldier part of the time so that, by contrast, the mechs feel big and stompy.
    to me they always end up feeling like they are people sized.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    After Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries and Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries I really wish they'd gone with a slightly more interesting subtitle.

Even if it was Mechwarrior 5: Privateer or ... something.
    But even I know that Mercenaries is the good one. ;-)

The best Mechwarrior game is, of course, Interstate 76.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Living Legends was wonderful, and they murdered it to fart out a F2P.
    Quote Originally Posted by BillButNotBen View Post
    The best Mechwarrior game is, of course, Interstate 76.
    The best Mechwarrior game is LAPD Futurecop, which is incidentally the best MOBA.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Vaguely recall that I had anticipated a year some years before to be year of Mech, turned out it was a major disappointment and I still haven't been really into any mech game seriously till this day.

Will wait to see how this will turns out. Honestly I myself would think that Titanfall is the only Mech title in these years that truly outstands itself, while others all have failed to deliver what they had been promised to.

You may all recall that Mechwarrior Online only came about because they were unable to get funding for the single-player game they wanted to make. I remember one of the pitches was that all weight classes would be equally viable, so it wasn't just "start the game in light, end in assault."

Anyway: Can someone give me a detailed explanation as to why everyone hates Pirahna? I play MWO very early, and was very impressed with the tech/fundamentals but was terrible at it, and it wasn't enough of my game to really train up (I do more like it as a singleplayer). I know there was some drama, and then they broke with their publisher, and I heard it suggested that that made them better, but that's all I know.

P.S. Yeah I also dunno what is up with that title, when Mechwarrior 4 did it it was an intentional throwback/design statement, this is just...confusing and bland.

P.P.S. Mechwarrior 4: Mercs is one of those games I could happily replay every five years till the day I die.

Yeah, MWO isn't that bad. It does have finite content and not everything went well. For instance, they replaced a functional GUI with an "improved" very hard to use one. As a multiplayer versus game, after the game was out for a while the game did degrade into a serious of "meta optimal" mechs. No longer did the vast variety of possible mech loadouts really matter - only a small number (about 5) of "optimal" mechs gave you a reasonable chance against the other players on the battlefield.

But it was fun, the nature of mechs being bipedal very tall robots did factor in, and the game was forgiving in that it took 2-3 alpha strikes to the same place on your mech generally to put you out of a match. So you could take a big hit and keep fighting. Also, several very specific models of light mech are very effective combatants because they have radar jammers which make them not show up on the enemy minimap and enough weapon slots to laser-boat. Those are fun to fight in.

But just one big hit. A second or third big hit and you're out of the match. Mechs do not actually feel like 100 ton armored behemoths. Since all your opponents are also in heavily armed and armored behemoths, you need to do a lot of hiding behind cover and very carefully engaging just 1 enemy mech at a time (optimally in a crossfire between you and several friendly mechs). Your armor is as good as tissue paper if you expose your mech to the guns of several enemy mechs in effective combat range.

Anyways, I played until I had a top tier maxed out mech, played in some matches with a clan, got bored when they made balance changes that made my top tier mech no longer an effective fighter. (I'm sure other mechs I could have purchased and equipped were the "new meta" but I didn't want to grind for 10-20 hours to afford to replace my mech with an optimal mech)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    I was out the moment the description had PvE (PvP also gets me ignoring it). Give me a single player game or GTFO.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephro View Post
    I was out the moment the description had PvE (PvP also gets me ignoring it). Give me a single player game or GTFO.
    ???

PvE doesn't necessarily mean multiplayer, and the description seems to imply it's single-player. It's clumsy wording but they could easily just be trying to make clear that it's not PvP.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LexW View Post
    ???

PvE doesn't necessarily mean multiplayer, and the description seems to imply it's single-player. It's clumsy wording but they could easily just be trying to make clear that it's not PvP.
    Hmmm fair point. I remain deeply suspicious though. I've never seen anyone use PvE to mean anything other than an online game, but I admit it doesn't necessitate that.

Hmmm fair point. I remain deeply suspicious though. I've never seen anyone use PvE to mean anything other than an online game, but I admit it doesn't necessitate that.
    I would really enjoy a co-op mode in Mechwarrior though.

I assume it's because PGI are thinking of it and MWO as being companion games, so one's the online PvP multiplayer and the other's the offline PvE. I know, hardly a coherent distinction, but I'm pretty sure I've seen confirmation elsewhere that it is a campaign of some kind. I wouldn't be averse to a spot of co-op though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Living Legends was wonderful, and they murdered it to fart out a F2P.

The best Mechwarrior game is LAPD Futurecop, which is incidentally the best MOBA.
    Lol true. I really should look for the playstation emulation of that one. :P
    It is a technical difference, but's there none the less.

Quote Originally Posted by TechnicalBen View Post
    Lol true. I really should look for the playstation emulation of that one. :P
    There's a PC demo for it still.

PCGamer has a few more details on the actual design of it. The tl;dr of it is:

-it is a single-player campaign, albeit a fairly open-ended one with sandbox-ish elements and procedurally generated maps for most missions, with the occasional scripted set-piece battle, set between 3015 and 3049

-the player is indeed a mercenary, leader of a mercenary company in fact, and there will be quite a bit of team management involved

-the Mechlab has a much reduced rol, you'll instead be buying/salvaging mechs and parts for them, you'll have multiple variants of mechs bought and sold through a dynamic economy of some sort, and the economy obviously also factors into how you run your company

I've upgraded my status from completely uninterested to somewhat interested. I like the concept of it, but I still don't like that PGI are the ones making it. We'll see how it turns out though, they are at least eschewing Early Access. which is a promising sign.