Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Games that you've lost momentum with (stopped playing)

Thought about making this topic because I'm a repeat offender in this category. Off the top of my head:

The Talos Principle, which I stopped playing after having reached the final set of puzzles and with 13h of play.
    Divinity: Original Sin, where I have more than 60h between both version but have never progressed beyond the first half of the second area/town you visit (also, is it just me or does Cyseal offer waaaay too many quests right off the bat?).
    Lords of Xulima, where I've clocked a whopping 60h but stopped flat, with no immediate reason I can think of.

And really, many others. What about you?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Binary Domain. I was stuck in one place and I couldn't find all the things I've had to shoot to proceed so I abandoned it. Now it's too late to go back.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    All of them, except for the tiny handful I've actually completed. I wonder if I can remember what those are?

KOTOR and Mass Effect 1 and 2- good job Bioware.
    Bastion and Transistor. Good job Supergiant, looking forward to the next one.
    Half-Life 1 and 2, and Episode 1, but burned out before finishing 2. Portal 1 and 2, props to Valve.
    Oo, SW: Republic Commando. Loved that one. Also Jedi Knight 1 and 2. Maybe Academy? Tie Fighter and X-Wing Alliance back in the day. Star Wars clearly enough to hang on to me.
    Saints Row 3! Wasn't expecting to see that through, but it turned out to be a lot of fun.

There may be more. But not many. I finished a Civ campaign once. IV, as the Chinese. I want to say space victory.

I came to complete comfort with not finishing games. I tend to reach a point where I have had the experience I want to have had, and after that my interest wanes, since I don't value repetition that highly, and I'm not reward-focused enough to want to see things through.

Competitive multiplayer is a different pot of carp, apparently. Games like Dawn of War 2, TF2, L4D, Hearthstone, Heroes of the Storm... these I will play on and off for a long time.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Gus_Smedstad's Avatar
    I got about 20% into the Road the Gehenna expansion for The Talos Principle and just stopped playing.

I vaguely remember that I got tired of Dragon Quest VIII. I don't remember how far I got.

I'm not sure if giving up on a final boss fight counts. I got all the way through Rogue Galaxy (the Level 5 JRPG, not to be confused with Rebel Galaxy), but got stopped cold by the final boss fight. After a few tries I just gave up.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Speaking of expansions, I should finally finish 2nd Daud DLC in Dishonoured...

stopped early at whatever hitman, witcher, batman, necrodancer, tf2, red eclipse, dragon nest, ori of the blind forest, bethesda things, bioshock, flying wild hog things, rocket league got refunded, a bunch of other stuff.
    There are some I regretted completing.

Oh yeah, binary domain too.
    Last edited by Squiz; 14-07-2016 at 04:34 PM. Reason: double post

Quote Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad View Post
    I got about 20% into the Road the Gehenna expansion for The Talos Principle and just stopped playing.
    Same here, it's a combination of other things to play and getting a bit frustrated with the star puzzles but I just drifted away from it.

Legend of Grimrock 2 as well, I absolutely loved the first game but I maybe got halfway through the second one after which I just didn't want to play any more. Maybe I built my party wrong and the fights got too difficult, but it was also that I didn't know where I was supposed to go. It's a shame regardless.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Eight Rooks's Avatar
    There have been a few. Bayonetta is probably the one I regret most. I thought what I played was amazing - I still do - but the combat system was just so wildly convoluted I couldn't be bothered re-learning it every time I took a break. (It's one reason I consider Vanquish the better game overall, despite not having the same depth.)

Quote Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad View Post
    I'm not sure if giving up on a final boss fight counts. I got all the way through Rogue Galaxy (the Level 5 JRPG, not to be confused with Rebel Galaxy), but got stopped cold by the final boss fight. After a few tries I just gave up.
    Haha, I'd say not, but I share your pain. Not on that specific game (I keep meaning to play it, and do actually own a physical copy still) but for Tales of Zestiria. Reached the final boss quite easily without ever really having understood the battle system, and unfortunately it has a "Do X damage or greater inside twenty seconds or automatically die instantly" phase. Without completely understanding the battle system, that's effectively not possible, even on easy, so I uninstalled.
    Smashwords (free stories I wrote) | Steam | Tumblr (reviews, games crit etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    Haha, I'd say not, but I share your pain. Not on that specific game (I keep meaning to play it, and do actually own a physical copy still) but for Tales of Zestiria. Reached the final boss quite easily without ever really having understood the battle system, and unfortunately it has a "Do X damage or greater inside twenty seconds or automatically die instantly" phase. Without completely understanding the battle system, that's effectively not possible, even on easy, so I uninstalled.
    Whelp. That's another game I've played for ~20h, then stopped because of other games. Plan on getting back to it eventually, though I'll admit the system's still a bit awkward for me - even though every jRPG fan I know praises the battle system of the Tales game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Similar to Eight Rooks with Bayonetta, I stopped midway in DMC, I was enjoying it, but took a break from it and it was too hard to get back into the swing of it. Also Remember Me.

Also add another one to the list of dropping The Talos Principle midway through, hit a group of puzzles that I couldn't get and left it for a month or two and then I couldn't remember the flow of the puzzles at all.

I dropped Wasteland 2 twice now, both editions both around the same point with the railway people. I have been meaning to drive through that point as I was enjoying it well enough, but there is always a new game to tempt me away.

The Raven - Legacy of a master thief, I loved the first episode but lost interest in it in the second episode and I have no idea how it ends.

Also does all the 4x and grand strategy games that I play until it gets too much work, drop and then come back a month or two later count?

Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    blahblahblah despite not having the same depth.).

Yep. That's why bayo>vanquish, though I know you like the latter more. I mean generally you can find useless complexity to add gaming time without putting actual content into the game but in bayo it's a matter of how crazy you want to get, with all options for big scores pushing the ceiling up. Overwatch too has complexity for the sake of content. Even when on the other hand the skill ceiling is below zero like a whole bunch of games with perfectly working mechanics like movement and shooting while pretending to be something else and completely different, the worst ones falling into unplayable time sink "role play" category so to speak which is a different position. Ori is a time sinker, in part, and it's pity because it's beautiful and at times has some actual killer art, with 90% of the upgrades adding little to nothing to the game and getting in the way of everything really. :< complexity which was never needed
    Last edited by Wenz; 14-07-2016 at 06:02 PM.

Even if (when(if I could)) die with medium defining classics left unplayed my spirit will not howl and wail into the void. Games exist to fill my free time, I'm not obligated to fill them with purpose with my attention.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Eight Rooks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wenz View Post
    Yep. That's why bayo>vanquish, though I know you like the latter more. I mean generally you can find useless complexity to add gaming time without putting actual content into the game but in bayo it's a matter of how crazy you want to get, with all options for big scores pushing the ceiling up.
    No it isn't. Bayonetta without doing everything you possibly can is dull. It's nice that it includes the ultra-easy one-button mode, but it's boring unless you like your games to be nothing more than an endless parade of shiny things. Vanquish played as a straight third-person shooter with none of the bells and whistles is pure ownage that destroys virtually everything the competition can throw at it, and then when you add rocket boosting, bullet time and melee combat it takes off into the stratosphere. None of which require as much time to get the hang of as Bayonetta. Bayonetta is an excellent game if you can master all the stuff it packs in, but it packs in entirely too much, and when it took me a full half an hour every time I went back to it to feel that I'd stopped playing it wrong, in the end I just couldn't be bothered. Too much depth can be a bad thing. Vanquish is instantly, effortlessly godlike even if you're rubbish at it, and the longer you spend with it getting better at it, the more it cements that impression. When I sold my PS3 I was working on a no-deaths playthrough - it's the first and so far only game I've ever tried anything like that with.
    Smashwords (free stories I wrote) | Steam | Tumblr (reviews, games crit etc.)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    DA:I

Well into the third act, but I just can't face it after TW3, partly because the writing blows in comparision and partly because my muscle memory of the systems is completely shot, and I don't have the time or inclination to restart from scratch.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil
    Tradition is the tyranny of dead men
    Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi
    Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes....
    The Conclave beckons ... PM for details

Games like dmc etc derive depth from the options which score the most. I think you are talking breath and that's not really needed to have it all ingrained in the head at all. Vanquish has some bullet hell part in its design, like crazy attacks in plain areas, hence it's limited in the shooter part, but still includes all the styles of consoles tps games (cover system, bulletstuff of whatever number of projectiles they throw at you, I don't really dab into shmups and bulletstuff). Like, the slowmo and jetpack stuff don't even suit the movement or whatever other thing and the game doesn't do much with them to add to the shooter part but they gain depth from being tied to the energy bar. Along health....maybe. Which regenerates, and this is where an argument of "easy mode" can apply to begin with when you don't have to plan things out and just reach for cover (since examples of special boostings, special melee or any special action you could mention are rather a matter of skill differentiation). It's not to say vanquish doesn't have a structure of playgrounds to test strategic skills, just that you can make a large part of encounters new rather than part of a plan.

To compare shooters, quake/ tribes do things vanquish can't with movement and guns, keeping smooth mechanics without tying them to something like energy minus the jetpack, even then they feature unrestricted speed, which includes more styles like vanquish but without the gimmicks, if there was a single player tps with similar design you could play it at different speeds and explore the mechanics much better than vanquish did. Gun tricks and all. I'm not saying vanquish is crap but it could be much better without things slowing it down, cover system and energy first and headshots then if the idea of gameplay is actually fast stuff, finally going for smooth mechanics. A locomotion system including more tricks and even climbing walls, better maps, more situations for more guns, whatever games have done really just not in first person.
    Last edited by Wenz; 14-07-2016 at 07:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    DA:I
    Reviewers were far too kind to that game. It's so feels slavishly designed to grind you to standstill.

No-one wanted free2play mission timers on an RPG.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Dark Souls. Sorryyyyyy.

I lost momentum shortly after Anor Londo, after going past Duke's Archives. I keep saying I will get back to it and finish and it is very much possible but so far it has not materialized.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by harlequin View Post
    Thought about making this topic because I'm a repeat offender in this category. Off the top of my head:

The Talos Principle, which I stopped playing after having reached the final set of puzzles and with 13h of play.
    Divinity: Original Sin, where I have more than 60h between both version but have never progressed beyond the first half of the second area/town you visit (also, is it just me or does Cyseal offer waaaay too many quests right off the bat?).
    Lords of Xulima, where I've clocked a whopping 60h but stopped flat, with no immediate reason I can think of.

And really, many others. What about you?
    I am also a horrible repeat offender with losing momentum.

In fact, I have a well-established momentum-losing MO, which is where I get either about 30% of the way, or 80% of the way (pretty much no values in-between) into a CRPG, and then go "Hmmm this is a good game but I want to do this other thing instead for a few days and will come back to it...". Then I never do, or if I do, I start over.

There are probably more CRPGs where I've done this than not.

I do eventually finish a lot of them, but it'll always be on the second (or later) attempt - examples include Mass Effect, Pillars of Eternity, and Dragon Age: Inquisition.

Skyrim I've literally never finished. I have 400 hours on that game and I've always, 100% of the time, lost momentum before finishing the main story.

Occasionally I lose momentum with a non-CRPG, but it's much rarer. I often stop playing a 4X for a few months and then come back, but I think that's normal.

Divinity: Original Sin is a 30%-er. I always get a bit in, then bored to death and JESUS the story is SO BAD and the characters so stupid that I just can't find any reason to keep going.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Reviewers were far too kind to that game. It's so feels slavishly designed to grind you to standstill.

No-one wanted free2play mission timers on an RPG.
    They actually weren't,* indeed I nearly started a thread about it recently, but you do have to play it in a certain way to enjoy it, so I totally understand thinking that. The stupid mission timers can be killed by a mod, thankfully (I only found this out AFTER finishing it, of course). I noticed that of the three DLCs, two just didn't have the timer-stuff, and the third had instant-completion stuff.

The game as a whole is basically a gigantic, horrific trap for even mild completists or people who like to do things in an orderly, thorough fashion. You have to reject all that to actually enjoy DA:I. Skip the shit, go for the good stuff and there is a genuinely good game in there. Do something like try and finish the Hinterlands (something the game encourages you to do by it's design, even as the NPCs literally tell you not to - talk about mixed messages!), and you will want to burn that game on a pyre.

I blame an overreaction to all the shit Bioware took for DA2 not having enough unimportant side-content. DA:I has way way too much unimportant side-content. Similarly DA2 got stick for having too few and too small maps. DA:I has too large and too many. I mean, seriously, I finished it with 90+ hrs played recently, and there were two ENTIRE ZONES I had barely been to.**

* = I mean, maybe they were but if so I think we have to make a big list of CRPGs they were too kind to, which probably has all CRPGs on it, not least stuff like Baldur's Gate (the original) and D:OS.

** = By this logic, ME:Andromeda will have an utterly lavish and wildly over-detailed ending which not only reflects what you did in the game, but goes on about it at such length that you get bored and tetchy.
    Last edited by LexW; 14-07-2016 at 08:51 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by harlequin View Post
    You don't lose much by not finishing it. The game isn't bad, has some charming elements but the story and atmosphere never really made it past acceptable for me and the gameplay never gets more interesting. It would be a fine game if there weren't many other RPGs, both new and old, that are better and much more memorable than this one. As it stands, I only recommend finishing the game if you consistently love it from the start - if you are trudging along out of momentum, completionism and hope for later improvement, you will likely remain unsatisfied.

Quote Originally Posted by LexW View Post
    In fact, I have a well-established momentum-losing MO, which is where I get either about 30% of the way, or 80% of the way (pretty much no values in-between) into a CRPG, and then go "Hmmm this is a good game but I want to do this other thing instead for a few days and will come back to it...". Then I never do, or if I do, I start over.
    I have a secondary, (personally) more pressing issue with cRPGs: re-creation syndrome. This is especially true if I can only have one main character: I don't know how many times I've done the first three hours of games like Pillars of Eternity, Underrail, Divinity: Original Sin* and pretty much every other cRPG because I kept changing my mind about what I wanted to be. I have this strange necessity to have some sort of attachment with my characters in role-playing games, and I usually attain that by expending some effort into creating a small backstory for them - something reminiscent of my tabletop days, I imagine - and even knowing of that I'll still try a game multiple times before even considering creating a small story. Games that force me to create some semblance of a story for my character, like Planescape, somewhat help me in not falling into aforementioned dreaded cycle.

* you should really give the Enhanced Edition a spin. The writing's still tongue-in-cheek - don't expect a serious cRPG here - but the addition of voice acting across the board and the changes they did enact on the storylines made it easier to play. I love the gameplay in D:OS and I plan on going back to my save, but I recognize that after you've done the first area a couple of times you can kind of lose interest in it, simply because Cyseal is so dense. I usually enjoy side-quests and additional content, but I wish they had spread the quests more out rather than just throwing you a dozen different threads to follow right off the bat.

Quote Originally Posted by mouton View Post
    You don't lose much by not finishing it. The game isn't bad, has some charming elements but the story and atmosphere never really made it past acceptable for me and the gameplay never gets more interesting. It would be a fine game if there weren't many other RPGs, both new and old, that are better and much more memorable than this one. As it stands, I only recommend finishing the game if you consistently love it from the start - if you are trudging along out of momentum, completionism and hope for later improvement, you will likely remain unsatisfied.
    Divinity's case was more due to having a busy fourteen weeks right as I was playing it. Just didn't have the urge to go back to it once those two busy weeks were over, but I'm sure I'll get back to it eventually, just as I plan on finishing The Talos Principle, if only so I can do the DLC that I bought on a sale as an attempt to instigate me to defeat momentum. Maybe ditch my idea of doing all the puzzles and just do those necessary to complete the game, instead of trying to get the stars and whatnot.
    Last edited by harlequin; 14-07-2016 at 09:06 PM. Reason: mouton's post in the thread while I was writing a previous reply