Online Turn-Based Strategy Games

Hi,

With Atlas Reactor going free to play, I started wondering about other turn-based multiplayer gems that I might have missed. Any recommendations?

Things I know about (and agree are good games):

Battle for Wesnoth
    Frozen Synapse/Endzone
    Chaos Reborn

Things I'm not thinking about:
    Civ
    Endless Legend
    etc

Ideally, it'd be Company of Heroes with Turns :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Blood Bowl? More sport than strategy, but since you mentioned Frozen Endzone...
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR
    The Red Blades, a Battle Brothers AAR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    Blood Bowl? More sport than strategy, but since you mentioned Frozen Endzone...
    No, it most certainly is strategic, as well as tactical, you are juggling both long term and short term concerns, but shards is well familiarised there.

Solium Infernum is a beautiful thing, but ruined by its engine and game length.

XCOM multiplayer is flawed, but very slick, it's clear a great many hours were invested into it's design.

I have a fixation with Civilisation 4: Colonisation, it looks like a wargame but it's really an economic game with light politics, the natives are formidable properly armed and your own homeland's regent will get pissy if you wield too much power, brilliant for multiplayer if you can get the PBEM sorted.

Dominions 3/4, it's a bloody mess, you better have an apropriate map and dedicated players, but it can write live fantasy novels like no other. I'll long by fixated with my blood sacrificing Pheonix slowly opening up the world to both devils and astral horrors which preyed on the lands.

Sword of the Stars(1 and only 1), kinda cheating here, the combat is real time which makes multiplayer a confused affair, as you all fight your battles synchronously but if you play by Flagship rules (you can only play battles with a flagship present and the rest get automated) then things move very quickly, the empire management is stripped down to a few sliders and warfare takes the focus.

Toribash, its a melee combat turn based game where you control actual muscles, high end play looks like an action movie, low end play looks like a babies first steps. It's free too.

Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes
    should be a junky match 3, instead it's a brutal snappy strategy game that wastes non of your time.

Frozen Synapse
    is a wonderful thing, great if you struggle to find opposition too, just don't run to many games synchronously, and make sure you play games with rocket launchers.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    That game Duelyst. Pared down, multiplayer only, turn based battles. Haven't got round to playing it but heard good things. Also free.

Obscure Node
    Faeria

Also, online Diplomacy perhaps?
    Last edited by m1ts0s; 19-01-2017 at 11:20 AM.

Network Hub
    I tend to divide these things up into my head - long-term multiplayer, often asynchronous; and short-term multiplayer. Either way, I'm a fan of the genre despite pretty much refusing to play F2P games. Given that you seem to be after the short-term ones, I'd throw a bit of a wildcard in and say that I had a very enjoyable few hours with Warbands: Bushido after Tim Stone wrote about it in the Flare Path. It's a fairly nice skirmish level miniatures game, and for a fiver or so fulfilled my need for low-spec gaming over Christmas. It also seems to have patches about twice a week, so development is super active, and the combat is a fairly satisfying dice management and positioning affair with some use of special powers.

Given that IRL I keep getting tempted by skirmish minis games that I'll never play, it fulfils its purpose nicely. I have some worry over it going to F2P somewhere down the road, but I've got my time out of it for the price I paid for it.
    Social Science Talks Science Fiction: A podcast where social scientists, researchers, philosophers and theorists talk about the themes and works of science fiction. socialsciencetalks.wordpress.com
    Latest Episode: Neuromancer, by William Gibson

Thanks for the comments!

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    XCOM multiplayer is flawed, but very slick, it's clear a great many hours were invested into it's design.
    I should get around to trying this!

Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes
    should be a junky match 3, instead it's a brutal snappy strategy game that wastes non of your time.

Had this on the DS, I agree, it's a fantastic little game
    Quote Originally Posted by alexjhh View Post
    I tend to divide these things up into my head - long-term multiplayer, often asynchronous; and short-term multiplayer. Either way, I'm a fan of the genre despite pretty much refusing to play F2P games. Given that you seem to be after the short-term ones, I'd throw a bit of a wildcard in and say that I had a very enjoyable few hours with Warbands: Bushido after Tim Stone wrote about it in the Flare Path. It's a fairly nice skirmish level miniatures game, and for a fiver or so fulfilled my need for low-spec gaming over Christmas. It also seems to have patches about twice a week, so development is super active, and the combat is a fairly satisfying dice management and positioning affair with some use of special powers.

Given that IRL I keep getting tempted by skirmish minis games that I'll never play, it fulfils its purpose nicely. I have some worry over it going to F2P somewhere down the road, but I've got my time out of it for the price I paid for it.
    I read about this over on wargamer.com and put it on my wishlist immediately. In a similar setting, has anyone else tried Warrings States?

I'd be quite happy if someone would cross the relatively slow head to head of Company of Heroes and the Turn-Based style of Panzer Corps... I don't have enough life to "git gud" on RTS's nowadays but I'm happy to read up on a turn-based game.

Indeed, Blood Bowl should fill that, if it didn't take 2 hours to play a game sometimes!!

Obscure Node
    Also this looks interesting: Divided We Fall

Edit: scratch that, I forgot it's real time

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Shards View Post
    Indeed, Blood Bowl should fill that, if it didn't take 2 hours to play a game sometimes!!
    Bloodbowl should always be played with a limited turn time set.You can knock out a game in 40 minutes if you do it properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorbicol View Post
    Bloodbowl should always be played with a limited turn time set.You can knock out a game in 40 minutes if you do it properly.
    RPS league is set to 4 minute turns to be beginner friendly.. Maybe we should taper off turn time in higher leagues?

Activated Node
    RPS league is set to 4 minute turns to be beginner friendly.. Maybe we should taper off turn time in higher leagues?
    Helio I've not been able to commit to something like BB since my daughter was born and that was 5 years ago! However I could have sworn we used to play with a 2 or 2.5 minute timer? Maybe that was the other league I used to play in.Hmmmm

When we went to BB2 a while after it's release their was a big shift from the old guard to novices, the shorter timings resulted in a bit of anxiety and stress.

I did try to explain that anxiety and stress are the key emotions in Bloodbowl.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ethelred's Avatar
    I've heard Chess is a good game.

/ithankyew

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Gus_Smedstad's Avatar
    The turn-based multiplayer games I've played extensively are async boardgame adaptations. Mostly Ascension and Lords of Waterdeep. Both, however, are iOS games, not PC.

For 5, Warbands: Bushido was worth the punt, it seems good fun so far!

I vouch for Dominions 4. The multiplayer is clearly unbalanced, but it automatically balances itself by player diplomacy. E.g. there are some factions that are really a stigma to all the others, so if one of the players pick one of those, the other players jump on him.

That game is an addiction, be advised.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Board games on Tabletopia, TableTop Sim.

Wife and I still play Heroes of Might & Magic III time to time. Heroes series, Age of Wonders, Disciples. Exploration, base building is not as time consuming as a Civ.
    Expeditions: Conquistador (battle mode only).

WORMS series.

I always liked the Massive Assault Network series from Wargaming.net. Earlier game before they became huge with World of Tanks.

There are some war hex games out that someone else surely knows that would be thematic match to Company of Heroes.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    There are some war hex games out that someone else surely knows that would be thematic match to Company of Heroes.
    Steel Panthers is a great game set in WW2; it has play by email for multiplayer. It's free, too.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR
    The Red Blades, a Battle Brothers AAR

I am a strong(hyperbolic) believer that WW2 war games are all garbage because of the crazy Top Trumps mentality of WW2 wargamers and how disconnected the war the games are from the reasons for the war.

Vietnam '65 is a brilliant example of a war game which is aware of the non military realities of the war, yea it codified 'hearts and minds', and not everyone takes to that but it gives a peacekeeping vibe to things that I feel makes it quite emotive.

Edit: paste freaked out
    Last edited by Heliocentric; 20-01-2017 at 08:57 PM.

I always liked the Massive Assault Network series from Wargaming.net. Earlier game before they became huge with World of Tanks.
    I still have my boxed copy of Massive Assault, it's a great game. Never tried the MP though...