Lesser Hivemind Node cardinaldirection's Avatar

Might & Magic: Heroes 5.5 - The pinnacle of HoMM

http://www.moddb.com/mods/might-magic-heroes-55

"MMH5.5 is an unofficial expansion pack for HOMM5 Tribes of the East or HOMM5 Complete and a spiritual successor to the popular WOG modification for HOMM3. The pack will include many new adventure objects, new larger battlefields, new heroes, new classes, new specializations, new skills, new artifacts, new adventure spells, new HD textures and a greatly improved RMG with more than 60 'visualized' Templates. The AI is much more intelligent and calculated much faster. Balance is also greatly improved both for small competitive multiplayer maps as well as crazy XXXL maps with countless epic battles vs Neutrals and AI."..

"Starting from MMH5.5 RC3 it will be possible, but not obligatory, to play any H5 map with town & dwelling conversion. In H5.5 Town Conversion will be much better balanced then it was in H6. In H6 it made the game too simple, because it was too cheap to convert towns and there were not enough restrictions. In H5.5 Town Conversion can actually make the game more difficult, instead of easier. There will be various new RMG Templates available designed specifically for expert players who want the game to be harder and more chaotic with Town Conversion enabled. Converting towns and dwellings will be expensive so there will be more pressure on resources and mines, map control will be more important and players can exchange minor economic jabs by converting dwellings in other players territory. The AI will be very challenging to play against with TC enabled as it will convert towns and dwellings very aggresively."..
    http://heroescommunity.com/viewthread.php3?TID=41876

"Governance was a feature first introduced in H4 and now available in H7 as well. In H5.5 the feature will be considerably more advanced taking into account some of the feedback provided by the fans in H7 forums."..
    http://heroescommunity.com/viewthread.php3?TID=41977
    Rock, Pen&Paper, Shotgun

"the operator of toast is a person"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Is this at all related to the AI mod that was making the rounds a couple of years back? It was part of a package that also allowed you to run the base game and first expansion in Tribes, with the caravans and such?

Regardless, this sounds interesting. HOMM V is such a ball of potential, it's just got a number of rough edges that need sanding. It's nice to see people putting so much effort into doing exactly that.

eternal essence?

yep; homm5.5 incorporates and enhances it:

"Faster AI and Performance

MMH5.5 uses the very fast reprogrammed H5_AIProcess31j.exe from Quantomas. New Quick-Combat loss correction scripts will keep the AI challenging even on the largest maps without losing calculation time. There will be a new 64bit exe file that can address more memory and fix performance and CTD issues H5 was having on XL maps..."
    Rock, Pen&Paper, Shotgun

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Yup, that's the one. Awesome, thanks for posting about this!

Banned
    You know, I actually always preferred a cheating AI to a smart one. The cheating one is going to crush you the minute you make one wrong move while the "smart" one always seems to hit a snag in the code and make some completely pointless and crazy decisions. It's like playing against a human, terrible.

Also, what was wrong with the Death Knight? It looked like a fancier version of 3, now it looks like Steve of the Stables from Yorkshire that had too much Absinthe.

I get what they tried to do but I'd prefer a mod that makes the original more polished rather than adding more stuff that will likely make it break easier than it did before.

And another thing, old man yells at sky, what's with the difficulty these days always having to be based on luck and chaos? There's already a lot of randomness in HoMM (like the skill literally called "Luck"), why add more? Add stronger, more kickass mobs to fight, don't put bombs down my trousers.

Anyway, I love HoMM5, more than 3, but this just doesn't seem like it's an improvement on it for what I play that game.

Also, I hope the HD Texture aren't THESE. Over-sharpening and blowing out saturation is not what HD makes.
    Last edited by Nox'Sky; 10-01-2016 at 10:45 PM.

Thanks for posting about this. I have HoMM V with all expansions on discs somewhere, but I must've played it for all of two hours or so back when I got it. I really should find the time to get back into it.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Throatwobbler Mangrove

Guild Wars 2 characters: Norgothus (Norn Necromancer), Maggrivo (Charr Warrior)

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    Never go full Wulf.

Quote Originally Posted by Nox'Sky View Post
    You know, I actually always preferred a cheating AI to a smart one. The cheating one is going to crush you the minute you make one wrong move while the "smart" one always seems to hit a snag in the code and make some completely pointless and crazy decisions.
    this ai is not only better, and faster, but actually wont break on extra large maps.

It's like playing against a human, terrible.
    homm is the best mp video game ever designed.

I get what they tried to do but I'd prefer a mod that makes the original more polished rather than adding more stuff that will likely make it break easier than it did before.
    this polishes the game, balances it, extends, and enhances it. it also leaves the original executable unaltered.

Also, I hope the HD Texture aren't THESE. Over-sharpening and blowing out saturation is not what HD makes.
    no.

try it before you knock it?
    Rock, Pen&Paper, Shotgun

The pinnacle of Might & Magic Heroes this may well be, but that doesn't say much since they've all been garbage. The pinnacle of the Heroes of Might & Magic series tho, is Heroes of Might & Magic III, by a wide margin. Go play that instead. /fanboy

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by BadManiac View Post
    The pinnacle of Might & Magic Heroes this may well be, but that doesn't say much since they've all been garbage. The pinnacle of the Heroes of Might & Magic series tho, is Heroes of Might & Magic III, by a wide margin. Go play that instead. /fanboy
    I find HoMM II and HoMM V with Tribes of the East and the patch that stops the AI from breaking and taking ages better than HoMM III. Might try this mod out at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by BadManiac View Post
    "The pinnacle of HoMM" - thats "Heroes of Might & Magic".

"Background

Since the last Heroes 5.5 project died and Quantomas intends to abandon Heroes of Might & Magic 5 after finishing his AI and work on his commercial indie production, things are a bit quiet around H5 at the moment. I want to start over with a new H5.5 project, because after so many years a real ‘H5 WOG’ still has not been created. With a bit of irony and to separate it from previous attempts I will call this project: MMH5.5 instead of HOMM5.5. Next to the very fast and challenging AI, the project will make many revolutionary modifications to game that had previously been considered impossible.

Vision

The goal of MMH5.5 to combine the majority of great features of H5TOE, H3SOD, H3WOG, H4 Equilibris and Kings Bounty the Legend series into one 3-dimensional game to create an all-in-one TBS experience. Technically MMH5.5 is a huge script extension to the H5TOE Adventure map that will bring the same diversity of WOG ERM scripted maps and H4 equilibris maps into a 3D environment. MMH5.5 will also have a new RMG capable of generating both balanced PvP and Singleplayer 320x320 maps with all new adventure objects from MMH5.5."

http://heroescommunity.com/viewthread.php3?TID=41303

heroes6 is pathetic, i agree, but 7 actually isnt that bad, it just needs polish and ai work.
    tribes of the east is phenomenal, especially with mods.
    there are even plenty of good reasons to play 4.
    as someone who has been playing the series since the first one was demod at my local computer store, i recommend checking out this mod.
    Last edited by cardinaldirection; 11-01-2016 at 07:54 PM.
    Rock, Pen&Paper, Shotgun