Page 37 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2735363738 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by postinternetsyndrome View Post
    Has anyone else experienced a bug with the "friendly slaver" event in the AE? The one where you choose between buying a slave, attacking or leaving. I've several times chosen to fight, only for the slaver ship to turn neutral and no combat happens. I'll have to try choosing the other option next time to see if they've switched places...
    yeah. i got it. but when i decided to attack the fight went normally. they often offer you a free slave as a peace offering if you are kicking their butt too much so i never went for other options

Lesser Hivemind Node deadly.by.design's Avatar
    I had wondered why this thread was suddenly being populated with new replies, only to finally see that new content had been released. Huzzah!

Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately, my attention span for roguelikes tends to happen in short, intense bursts. So, I will likely re-download FTL, play it obsessively for three weeks (or as obsessively as I can do responsibly these days), and then never touch it again. That's how it worked for Dredmor, at least.

Network Hub
    I managed to get destroy a ship with a defence drone and unlock the second rock cruiser.

Type B is generally better, since it isn't relying on only missiles, but you'll need a way to get down enemy shields (flak I was my only weapon found in 8 sectors :( )

Lesser Hivemind Node deadly.by.design's Avatar
    So, I made it to the final sector [and died] on my very first playthrough, only to never return.

Granted, I've not put a ton of effort into the game (maybe ~15 hours total), but has this happened to anyone else?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    It happens quite a lot I think as "getting to the final sector" is a completely different challenge than beating the final boss.

Some ship designs have an easy time with the stuff along the road but can't scratch the boss and vice versa. Gearing/Upgrading in a way that you're both able to survive the next encounter AND able to beat the boss is the overall challenge.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfenswan View Post
    Some ship designs have an easy time with the stuff along the road but can't scratch the boss and vice versa. Gearing/Upgrading in a way that you're both able to survive the next encounter AND able to beat the boss is the overall challenge.
    I dunno, stuff that will kill the flagship will help along the way just as well. A bunch of MurderLasers needed to punch through its shields will equally punch through any other shield. It's just that some weapons/tactics are not effective against the flagship.

You need a way to quickly disable weapons, to dodge a lot of stuff and to get through the shields fast. Exact way of achieving the above is irrelevant. Well, okay, near-maxed engine is probably a requirement - if someone gets there with engine 3 or something, they just might quit.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus postinternetsyndrome's Avatar
    I uninstalled the game again, since I got stuck trying to unlock some stuff and felt I wasn't enjoying it anymore. The RPS newspost today where they mentioned the Captain's Edition rekindled my interest though. My main question is: Does installing mods fudge up your progress/achievements etc? I've never used mods with ftl before.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Depends on the mod, really. As far as I know just the Captain's Edition won't stop that as it still spawns the sector specific events that unlock certain ships. But if you use the infinite addon for the captain's edition, then yes, it does hinder those unlocks that depend upon a certain event happening.

That news post also inspired me to try the Captains Edition (with a couple of other mods - the backgrounds one is beautiful!) and it was a pretty painless experience. No damage done to achievements or unlocks but it does make some of them a lot easier, and a couple slightly harder to achieve.

Overall though, while I felt Advanced Edition didn't really rekindle my love of FTL as much as I was hoping the Captains Edition and a few select other mods have really done the job.

Network Hub
    Bumping a 2 year old thread, I know. But I didn't really want to create a new thread for this.

Got this during the sale. How are/did you guys play through this beautifully unfair game? I can get through one sector, no problem. I stocked up on shields/weapons/power bars on my Kestrel, got a new crew member in the mix. Everything looked fine. But in the next sector I get.. raped would be a good term. I can't go through 3 systems without my ship blowing up.

I've reset and played 4 times now, still not going to stop. But some tips to make significant progress instead of the same old restart, die, check hangar for unlock drill I'm going through now.

P.S. I play on Normal, if that's any help.
    Last edited by DeathPig; 10-01-2016 at 07:52 AM. Reason: A sentence.
    Steam

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    Y-Wings are basically space bathtubs.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Gus_Smedstad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathPig View Post
    I stocked up on shields/weapons/power bars on my Kestrel, got a new crew member in the mix. Everything looked fine. But in the next sector I get.. raped would be a good term. I can't go through 3 systems without my ship blowing up.
    You said you "stocked up on shield bars," but did you get 2 additional bars (for level 2 shields) and enough power generation to run them? Because shields are 2 bars per level, and single bars don't really help. Generally speaking, getting shields-2 is a pretty high priority, since that's enough to protect you against internal damage from anything but missiles in the early game.

A couple of points of engines are highly useful too. At least in part because it gives you a place to divert excess energy in a productive way. For most combats you're not going to want to use missiles if you don't have to, since they're a very limited resource. Similarly, you don't need power to your medbay unless someone is using it. But you do want enough power generation so you can run both if you have to, usually by diverting some (but not all) power going to engines.

Until you get a drone system and an anti-missile drone, dodge is your only defense against missiles. Which is why getting some additional engine capacity is useful. Getting up to 3 engines (for 25% dodge with unskilled crew members) is inexpensive.

Weapons "bars" don't help you at all until you have additional weapons. But maybe you meant you purchased additional weapons, it's unclear.

Getting an additional energy weapon, and power for that weapon, is important before you start facing enemies who also have level-2 shields. Your initial Burst Laser II fires 3 shots. That's great against enemies with level-1 shields, not so good against level-2 shields since one shot will frequently miss, and useless against late game enemies with level 3 shields.

In conjunction with that, don't use auto-fire once you have multiple weapons. You want to time your shots from different weapons so you're firing volleys, rather than firing, letting enemy shields regenerate, and then firing again.

Crew members, useful as they are, are a very low priority when it comes to purchases. Mainly because you often pick them up without having to pay scrap for them.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad View Post
    You said you "stocked up on shield bars," but did you get 2 additional bars (for level 2 shields) and enough power generation to run them? Because shields are 2 bars per level, and single bars don't really help. Generally speaking, getting shields-2 is a pretty high priority, since that's enough to protect you against internal damage from anything but missiles in the early game.

A couple of points of engines are highly useful too. At least in part because it gives you a place to divert excess energy in a productive way. For most combats you're not going to want to use missiles if you don't have to, since they're a very limited resource. Similarly, you don't need power to your medbay unless someone is using it. But you do want enough power generation so you can run both if you have to, usually by diverting some (but not all) power going to engines.

Until you get a drone system and an anti-missile drone, dodge is your only defense against missiles. Which is why getting some additional engine capacity is useful. Getting up to 3 engines (for 25% dodge with unskilled crew members) is inexpensive.

Weapons "bars" don't help you at all until you have additional weapons. But maybe you meant you purchased additional weapons, it's unclear.

Getting an additional energy weapon, and power for that weapon, is important before you start facing enemies who also have level-2 shields. Your initial Burst Laser II fires 3 shots. That's great against enemies with level-1 shields, not so good against level-2 shields since one shot will frequently miss, and useless against late game enemies with level 3 shields.

In conjunction with that, don't use auto-fire once you have multiple weapons. You want to time your shots from different weapons so you're firing volleys, rather than firing, letting enemy shields regenerate, and then firing again.

Crew members, useful as they are, are a very low priority when it comes to purchases. Mainly because you often pick them up without having to pay scrap for them.
    ...and you'll still get swallowed whole by the final boss.

Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    ...and you'll still get swallowed whole by the final boss.
    I was only giving basic advice for the first couple of sectors. Getting the basic upgrades I mentioned is not nearly enough to deal with Sector 5 enemies, let alone the Rebel Flagship.

The final boss does take a couple of runs to understand, but it's not difficult to beat it once you get the hang of the game. "It's too different!" is a common complaint about the Rebel Flagship, but it's not really true. Stuff that works against Sector 7 ships works against the Rebel Flagship.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    I'm not saying I'm good at the game, but if I get to the final boss, I should be able to at least scratch it.

I'm not saying I'm good at the game, but if I get to the final boss, I should be able to at least scratch it.
    If you can't scratch it, you've been playing it wrong. Seriously. The Rebel Flagship has level 4 shields, which isn't magical, or a different mechanic than all the other ships you've faced up until that point. If you don't have enough firepower to penetrate level 4 shields by sector 8, you have to be seriously struggling to get through sector 7. Maybe you're relying exclusively on boarding?

Speaking of which, boarding is highly effective against the flagship, because the weapons consoles aren't linked to the rest of the ship. Two crewmembers can get in there, kill the gunner, and disable the weapon without worrying about other crewmembers or the medical bay. Knocking out all the weapons certainly counts as "scratching it," though you still need enough firepower to cut through the shields after the ship has no weaponry left.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathPig View Post
    P.S. I play on Normal, if that's any help.
    One thing to add to Gus's excellent advice: ignore the labels and drop the difficulty to Easy, unless you're particularly headstrong or particularly gifted, you're not going to get a Victory on Normal straight away, you'll need the extra slack to figure out the game and how you like to play it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad View Post
    A couple of points of engines are highly useful too.
    Speaking generally, my basic strategy with the Kestrel is to pile up Engine power and increase the dodge, for the same reason I also aim to man all stations as soon as possible, so crew has time to level up and add their bonuses to the various systems; you are right in pointing out crew can be picked without hiring, if that doesn't happen soon enough, however, they might not be fully levelled up by the time you hit the boss.

Also, with that build, it's not strictly necessary to have drones, though they help. Also in the later game I love getting the teleporter and boarding ships, distracting their crew and wreaking havoc to supplement my weapon pounding.

As for weapons, you'll have to make do with what you find, and it's important to build a mix that can take down or bypass shields so that they can be disabled.

IMO the easiest combination is to a couple decent burst lasers, time them manually to fire in sequence to bring down even the strongest shields. This is also an excellent combo to save missiles.

Not the talk down thread :P
    Please make sure to read this short announcement!

The Onward March of Bundles - filling your backlog since 1911. For a list of active deals, and more, click here.
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    One thing to add to Gus's excellent advice: ignore the labels and drop the difficulty to Easy, unless you're particularly headstrong or particularly gifted, you're not going to get a Victory on Normal straight away, you'll need the extra slack to figure out the game and how you like to play it.
    Wouldn't consider myself to be either but I only played on Normal and it was great. Who cares if you can't win the game immediately? So many deaths before I even made it to sector 5. But after making it halfway the next run took me all the way to the final boss.

Basically FTL is an incredible, intricate parcel of interlocking systems. The only way you learn the game is through trial and error. I would stick to normal.

Also there is much better advice above but: more drones, more guns, timed volleys, micromanage crew for internal damage/boarders.

Network Hub
    Well I also suggest playing on easy. It's easier to learn ropes this way. With more scraps and bigger margin of error, it's easier to understand tactics and strategy necessary to overcome challanges.

Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    Also, with that build, it's not strictly necessary to have drones, though they help.
    I've always made getting a drone system and a defense-1 drone a fairly high priority. Not as high as getting the basic shielding you need, but after that. Because that's a 100% effective defense against a single missile launcher, which is what you'll usually face. It also works against hacking drones and boarding drones.

Build priority for most (but not all ships) is:
    1. Enough weaponry to penetrate current typical enemy shields
    2. Enough shields so enemy energy weapons don't regularly penetrate
    3. A defense 1 drone
    4. transporter
    5. Cloak

Transporter's pretty great since boarding is both highly effective and can yield a significant income boost. It's not as important as that immunity to missiles, though.

There's a lot more to it than that, of course. Upgraded engines, doors, oxygen, etc. are all a good idea, but when exactly to do each depends on the situation.

Something that can really help is upgrading doors. It'll allow you to vent the air out of parts of your ship, while keeping boarders on the other side. It's very useful against fires too.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Throatwobbler Mangrove

Guild Wars 2 characters: Norgothus (Norn Necromancer), Maggrivo (Charr Warrior)

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    Never go full Wulf.