Activated Node

I would never show it to a non-gamer to demonstrate why I play games.

To paraphrase BlueSkies paraphrasing Alec, I'd like to reverse BlueSkies' topic and ask:
    What games would you never show to a non-gamer to vindicate your hobby?

I'm not talking terrible games, though they would count, I'm talking about the games you play that they just wouldn't understand why they're fun.

For me, it'd be The Binding of Isaac. It's great fun, rather addictive, but the literal dead baby humour just wouldn't be a good way to show people that gaming is a mature hobby.

Oh dear, hard to beat Isaac.

I'll have to say that pigeon dating game... I wouldn't show it to a gamer, let alone a non-gamer.
    steam

http://dailycelluloid.blogspot.com/- where I write about movies.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Binding of Isaac was springing to my mind as well, but as with the last topic it does depend on the person you are showing, some people might like that sort of thing!

The types of games that I automatically think of as being out to the "sterotypical" non gamer are the likes of Carmageddon, Postal, GTA etc. Basically anything that's caused moral outrage in the Daily Mail. In which case perhaps the better question is "what games would you never show a Daily Mail reader?"

So I present:

Beyond Good and Evil (hero is akin to a single mother, bit too anti establishment).
    Max Payne (hero is an addict)
    Deus Ex (cleaner bots! It's 'elf and safety gone mad)
    Mass Effect (teaching our kids to be gay)
    Democracy (ooh look at my biting satire!)

Actually I wonder if there is a game safe to show a Daily Mail reader? Maybe an adventure game in which you find out the real truth behind what happened to Diana (not using any questionable journalistic practices, obviously!).
    Last edited by Lambchops; 11-12-2011 at 10:29 PM.

Activated Node
    I'd say Peggle, but Ode to Joy? When there's good wholesome British-composed songs that are out on the streets without a job? Outrage!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
    Actually I wonder if there is a game safe to show a Daily Mail reader? Maybe an adventure game in which you find out the real truth behind what happened to Diana (not using any questionable journalistic practices, obviously!).
    I would have thought that would be more a Daily Express reader thing.

I'd love to see a Postal game where you open fire on an immigration queue. Daily Mail readers would be so conflicted between deploring it and cheering it, their heads would explode, and the world would be better.

Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines

Brilliant game with some of the best writing and atmosphere I've ever come across, but it would still be rather hard to explain its high level of gore and semi-naked women to any casual observer.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    On the other hand, if you're someone who appreciates horror movies, the hotel level of Bloodlines should be compelling.

Showing someone Dwarf Fortress would probably be a disaster. Even with a graphical tileset, it's rather inscrutable to the casual observer.

As much as it is blasphemy to say so; The original Deus Ex. I love it to bits, but hell has it dated badly and screams "GAMING PEOPLE MEMBERS ONLY!" both graphically and mechanically.

When it comes to odd stuff, there are lots of games I would show people, but not how I would play them if no-body was watching.
    "Why are you jumping on that cat?"
    "Why did you punch that shopkeeper in the face?"
    "Why are you trying to look up her skirt?"
    "Why are you running about in your underpants?"
    "Why are you pushing those people off cliffs / into fire?"
    Last edited by Scumbag; 12-12-2011 at 12:42 AM.