Heroes of the Storm - Player Directory Redux - Rally call for TOTAL NOOBS!

After two months of playing HotS I feel like I am at a point where I can help introduce 100% noobs to the game, people who have barely touched a MOBA before in their life, or not at all.

Always wanted to get into a MOBA but somehow bounced off them? I bring good news:

First, HotS may be the game for you.
    Second, I can fast track you into being a decent player.
    (Thirdly, you'll probably be able to get some goodies, including a free hero, by using referrals. Don't worry, they're very tame)

[the following 4 paragraphs can be skipped if you're completely new] For the player somewhat familiar with the game to get an idea of my level, I'm routinely getting better than average performance remarks, usually an end-game badge (often for XP and objectives), and this is peppered with MVP awards. edit: contrary to what was previously stated, I have played most heroes! that means 63 different units, and I'm only missing five currently. And beginning to form a mental map of what capabilities different heroes bring to the table, which is useful when playing against other humans and higher AI difficulty.

My play style mainly focuses on occupying free lanes and soaking, at the same trying to take down fortifications, but I will also pursue objectives, take mercs, or assist the team in various ways, as the situation evolves. Of course, as I play different heroes that are better suited to other tasks, I will adjust, and have just as much fun playing healer.

The high point of my HotS career has been playing brawl for the first time in my life as Muradin, a tank that I don't especially like: 30 minutes and a tough battle later, which we turned around, getting a party invite right away from one of my former enemies, whom I thought was a massive pain in the neck.

So sweet to realize they were probably thinking the same of me, and that on top of a come-back victory.

Still, I mostly play HotS as a chill-out game, and that means VS AI, Adept (intermediate) level, though I won't back down if someone pits me against the more challenging AI levels. FYI it is often said that the more competitive AIs play better than many (most?) humans.

If there is some interest, I've also been putting some work into an introductory series to HotS 2.0, which could be useful for the Total Noob like the one I was 2 months ago.

(Last, I am EU-based but open to play in other zones to help others get started - referrals don't work across zones, though.)

So without further ado.

US:

• Viral Frog InfectedToad#1246
    • Your name could be here!

EU:

Asia:

• What are you waiting for?

PS: if you send a friend request, make sure to post here, so we know that it is from you.
    Last edited by alms; 22-07-2017 at 11:52 PM.
    The Onward March of Bundles - Bundle deals, and more! click me! The new Humble Monthly August comes with NBA2K17 and Pillars of Eternity, and other fab indie games. Like what I'm doing? new subscriber? please consider using this link, throw some monies at me, at no cost or inconvenience to you. Thanks! Steam - HowLongToBeat - weirdfish#2792 (HotS)

Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Well, I am not a noob, I have been playing this game for faaaar too long and neither do I play vs AI but I can add you if you want to do some chill QM now and then.

Sure thing, thanks for the add! Would you like to be listed?

Quote Originally Posted by mouton View Post
    Well, I am not a noob
    Understatement :o
    The Onward March of Bundles - Bundle deals, and more! click me! The new Humble Monthly August comes with NBA2K17 and Pillars of Eternity, and other fab indie games. Like what I'm doing? new subscriber? please consider using this link, throw some monies at me, at no cost or inconvenience to you. Thanks! Steam - HowLongToBeat - weirdfish#2792 (HotS)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Alms, you played any DotA? Even WC3 mod DotA?
    I am once again writing a blog, vaguely about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

XCM2 LNG WAR CP Campaign Recruits Welcome.

In case of forum degradation pull cord.

No DOTA, I believe a couple matches of DOTA2, back when it was in beta. Why?

Looks like I'll have to play Brawl today, I'm going through a dry run with stimpacks and all out of chests.

One question that keeps bugging me - does anybody have the slightest idea why people are so averse to joining parties and adding friends? it's basically XPs for nothing, and chests for free.
    Last edited by alms; 19-07-2017 at 06:21 PM.

I wanted to know if you could compare the two, because as DotA has no pay gates and in my mind is the market leader.

I only own Warcraft 2, so no DOTA for me.

Technically HotS has no pay gates, in that there is absolutely no need to pay for anything, unless you want to: there is no pay2win, as the level of the player, nor that of the hero affect anything functional.

Everything, including the most important thing in the game, aka heroes, can be acquired using in-game currencies which are awarded simply for playing the game, as well as being drops found in chests (which are also free). I found a number of heroes in chests, two just in the last three days. Never been so lucky, as some folks, to get the newest hero, but have acquired many a higher tier hero that way.

The only reason I could see, to shell out cash, is if one absolutely feels the need to level up heroes as fast as possible, in which case stimpacks, aka XP/gold boosters, are needed.

That could perhaps be the case of an experienced MOBA player wishing to engage in ranked play ASAP, for which a roster of 14, level 5, heroes is required. Note I'm not even sure there's a need to actually own 14 heroes, as heroes that are not owned can be leveled up anyway, simply by playing them when featured in the F2P rotation.

I seem to recall a 7d stimpack is given out as part of the introductory process, and it's possible to acquire more without paying, again through chests. Indeed I had long streaks of stimpack-fueled play thanks to drops.

For a couple of months, following the launch of HotS 2.0, Blizzard would award a certain amount of free gems (1000 IIRC) simply for logging in, which could be used to choose between several special hero bundles, each containing about two dozens of 'em, a very nice head start which I took advantage of.

Right now, a hero is given out for free for completing the tutorial, and two more can be had by using a referral link from somebody in the same region, and reaching the relative level milestone (easily achieved). A 5d stimpack is also part of the package. If anyone wants one for EU, here is mine.

Given my noobishness I may have missed something, but this should about cover it.
    Last edited by alms; 22-07-2017 at 11:53 PM.

^you nailed it. I've been playing on and off since beta. I never felt the *need* to spend a dollar. (Though I did buy the starter bundle at launch because I really liked the game a lot and thought it would look nice on my shelf and give me a handful of extra heroes asap. But I didn't NEED to do that by any means). Over the past couple of years I'll go thru months of obsessive playing and have unlocked a bunch of heroes and happily leveled up without ever buying a stimpack.

I did try DOTA2 one time and I couldn't get into it. I'm sure it's great for folks who like it, but HOTS had conditioned me to enjoy my MOBAs in quick bursts. Matches here can be over in 15 mins but still feel totally satisfying. I like that.

By the way, I'm trying really hard to talk about this game without getting sucked back in. It's always threads like these that do it to me.

Thanks! I haven't spent a penny yet, myself, nor I feel compelled to, as I'm almost completely immune to the draw of cosmetic items (I'll happily use what I like the most from the pile of finds, but that's it), and gems (and by extension, stimpacks) are priced awfully.

In fact I was pondering right now about their price, and the vicious cycle they establish. I'm pretty sure major industry players, and more so one such as Blizzard, have very accurate metrics, telling them how to price gem packs in order to turn the profit they have planned to achieve.

OTOH, since loot chests and levels offer a sense of steady and tangible progression (which is what Blizzard relies on to sell stimpacks in the first place), I can't help but wonder if they would make more money overall by pricing them more affordably.

Ultimately I fully realize that the extended assortment of heroes and trinkets I own, has been more than paid for by other players, and I imagine a part of the audience would refuse to pay a dime no matter what.

At the same time, I would probably prefer to chip in from time to time for a stimpack, with more reasonable pricing.

In this scheme, however, the Welcome Bundle is good value for someone who's started playing before, or missed, the Megabundles.

This is my current predicament, BTW:

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    I wanted to know if you could compare the two, because as DotA has no pay gates and in my mind is the market leader.
    These are very different games. Technically the same genre, but many fundamental mechanics have been removed and/or changed. There are plenty of HotS/DotA/LoL comparisons on the internets written much better and much more thoroughly than I could. One crucial pro is the shorter match time, which is on average about 20 minutes.

I can't say HotS has "paygates". You don't get all the heroes, but the weekly free rotation is very generous and it is easy to earn new heroes by just playing. Hero price doesn't correspond to power or fun either. The only real money-milking factory is in cosmetics, which is annoying, but completely non-essential.

Lesser Hivemind Node Viral Frog's Avatar
    InfectedToad#1246

USA but not opposed to signing into Euro region if necessary.

I've played a few rounds of HotS and it really is the MOBA for people who dislike MOBAs... which isn't me, exactly. I like MOBAs. I hate the toxic playerbases, hence the reason I quit LoL and never even attempted to play more than 1 game of Dota 2. That aside, HotS community seems MUCH better.

How are the wait times for games? The reason I haven't played more than a couple games is that I don't like waiting 10+ minutes for matches to pop. Which was, unfortunately, the case last I played (over a year ago).
    Steam: Viral Frog
    Battle.net: InfectedToad#1246
    If your Steam/Battle.net display name is different than your forum display name, please send me a private message before adding me.

Quote Originally Posted by Viral Frog View Post
    InfectedToad#1246
    Listed and request sent.

That aside, HotS community seems MUCH better.
    Fairly quiet, as far as I can tell. My experience so far is that most people will just keep to themselves.

So much that, like I was mentioning above, it can be kind of hard even to get a party going. Yesterday a friend started a full party and we had a decent run (XPXPXP), then he dropped in-between matches and everybody vanished like snow in the sun. Seconds later he was back on again and just the two of us. I've almost given up sending invites because most simply get turned down.

edit: initially I just thought that being a noob didn't exactly do me any favors to attract any player. But in VS AI, it doesn't really matter as long as the player is basically functional (in fact I notice a lot of players apparently aren't aware of some basic rules)

And being in a party nets you free XP, with most people not even expecting you to make the slightest bit of conversation.

But back to the matter, Weeks ago I've seen someone getting pissed at the team, and lately a noob got a bit upset because the game credited me with a kill that they thought was theirs.

Another one complained about a healer, I replied with some light irony and everybody just laughed it off, good vibes.

How are the wait times for games? The reason I haven't played more than a couple games is that I don't like waiting 10+ minutes for matches to pop. Which was, unfortunately, the case last I played (over a year ago).
    Usually it's a matter of 5-20 seconds for me.

However, if a player disconnects at some point after matchmaking has been set up, but before the match has started yet, there is a chance for a longer delay at the loading screen.

It doesn't happen often enough to be a real annoyance though.

Quote Originally Posted by mouton View Post
    I can't say HotS has "paygates". You don't get all the heroes, but the weekly free rotation is very generous and it is easy to earn new heroes by just playing. Hero price doesn't correspond to power or fun either. The only real money-milking factory is in cosmetics, which is annoying, but completely non-essential.
    BTW Helio's post was kind of tongue-in-cheeky, I think. Seem to remember he maintains even DOTA2 is past his personal line.
    Last edited by alms; 20-07-2017 at 12:08 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I've played a few rounds of HotS and it really is the MOBA for people who dislike MOBAs... which isn't me, exactly. I like MOBAs. I hate the toxic playerbases, hence the reason I quit LoL and never even attempted to play more than 1 game of Dota 2. That aside, HotS community seems MUCH better.
    I honestly doubt HotS community is fundamentally better, it is just that short matches prevent the toxicity from building up to LoL levels. Even if a twat in your team starts to feed, you know it will all end soon, so whatevers. Additionally, the playerbase supposedly grew recently, so there are a lot of people from LoL, heh heh

Really short for me in EU. Quickmatch is almost always less then a minute, Hero League usually 2-3 minutes. Team League has the most issues, probably.

I know they worked on the algorithms a lot, and there was a jump at some point in the last year.

Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    BTW Helio's post was kind of tongue-in-cheeky, I think. Seem to remember he maintains even DOTA2 is past his personal line.
    DotA 2 is more than I could ever learn, which is why the seemingly more casual HotS is so tempting, I just worry that ultimately a set team is what you need. As opposed to the wrenching cognitive panic I can feel in a CoH ranked match completely alone and succeed.

If by set you mean only certain combination of heroes work, I would reply this is not the case, at least at the level I'm playing.

My best moments in HotS often came from collaboration and teamplay: either working for and helping the team, saving a team member's ass or finding a companion fighting by my side without even having asked for one.

Seeing the team converge on an objective you've just suggested, or enabling them to accomplish one.

Last Brawl I played, our selections were restricted to 3 heroes, randomly picked. Seeing one of the other players switching from offensive to a support role as soon as they noticed the others weren't given that option.

It may seem a small thing, and I can't tell you the usernames of those 4 other strangers if my life depended on it, but I sure was grateful to that person and it did lend a feel that we were working truly as a team.

Lesser Hivemind Node Viral Frog's Avatar
    Forgot to mention that I'm not really online consistently. I'm in the Pacific timezone of the USA. I play most throughout the week later on at night (for me) and every other weekend that I don't have my children. So I'll be free most of this weekend and down for some games! I forgot to accept your invite on battle.net yesterday alms, so I'll do that when I get home tonight.
    Steam: Viral Frog
    Battle.net: InfectedToad#1246
    If your Steam/Battle.net display name is different than your forum display name, please send me a private message before adding me.

No pressure, Frog.

BTW, on referrals:

Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    Right now, a hero is given out for free for completing the tutorial, and two more can be had by using a referral link from somebody in the same region, and reaching the relative level milestone (easily achieved). A 5d stimpack is also part of the package. If anyone wants one for EU, here is mine.
    Since I got a PM asking whether I already have 4 recruits, thought this was worth mentioning here.

My understanding of the referrals in HotS is that, unlike most systems, which either reward equally the recruiter and the recruit (think Dropbox), or are skewed towards the recruiter, in HotS the recruit are getting the best bang for the buck.

As a recruiter, one only gets a portrait if one recruit hits L10, and a mount if four recruits do. It's just cosmetic stuff.

As a recruit, you get heroes. Now, I'm not sure whether there's been some change very recently, when writing the quoted bit, I seem to remember the Recruit page said that the recruit would have gotten:

Raynor and a 5d stimpack - for accepting
    Tyrande - at level 5
    Sylvanas - at level 10

ATM it seems Tyrande is out of the equation (??? she's one of the heroes you can get in the tutorial FWIW). You still get two heroes, though, which isn't shabby.

Since the requirement for the recruiter only triggers when the recruits reach L10, I think there isn't much difference, for a recruit, whether I already received my rewards or not - you should be getting the heroes anyway, which is the important thing.

At the same time, I am inclined to believe that it doesn't matter how many recruits I have, unless four of them hit level 10.

The situation ATM is that I have given out the referral link here, in the Hollowed Land of Thumbleweeds, and nobody clicked on it. Nobody has been awful to me yet either, so it evens out.

I also have a recruit called DireRaven (who are you BTW?) who's not L10.
    And I have replied to the PM.

TL;DR if you want your free heroes, just feel free to click on that link. If it ever happens that my requirements are met, I will let everybody know here. If you want to share your own referral link, by all means you are welcome to do so.

My main reason for posting that link was so that others could have their free heroes!
    Last edited by alms; 22-07-2017 at 11:53 PM.