Discord - Voice and Text Chat for the RPS Community

Discord is a free VOIP (Voice Over IP) and text chat client, allowing you to talk to other players during games and outside of them. It's stable and supports an overlay in most games that shows you who is talking, player lists and so forth. It also has a range of options to support streaming, game notifications and the like. There's a desktop app, mobile apps and a web client.

The server is run by Discord themselves and should not have any downtime. There's no limit to the number of players! Currently we're in the middle of setting up and transitioning over, but there'll be a list of text channels at the top and voice channels down below. We'll add permanent channels for popular games, otherwise use an empty one.

Our administration and moderator team should be easy to spot - look for the people in funky colours.

FAQ
    Do I have to use Push to Talk?
    Please do. It makes it much nicer for everybody else. However, PTT is only available on the desktop client. If you're using the web or mobile version it will be voice activated.

What happened to Mumble?
    We're moving off Mumble, as the software isn't being developed any more at a meaningful level. The RPS Mumble server has now closed, so please move to Discord.

There's no channel for the game I want to play!
    For now, pick an empty channel of any name or use the Chatterbox channels. We'll be adding more channels up once nested channels are supported.

How do I disconnect from voice chat?
    Look for the little phone icon with a cross next to it, to the right of where it gives you your voice connection info.

What's the ban appeal procedure?
    If you have been banned from Discord only, please contact any of the Moderators or Admins. We're happy to discuss individual cases.

What are roles? How do I use them?
    Roles are how Discord groups users together. We're using them to gather players of particular games in to one place so they can all be reached at once. For example, all our World of Warships players are assigned the role @boats. This means a message sent to @boats will be highlighted for all people with that role. Great for organising games and passing on important messages!

It works the same for our admin team. If you need to speak to a Game Moderator to be added to a role, just message the @Game Moderator role!

Current roles: @boats (World of Warships), @R6Siege, @Warcraft, @RocketLeague, @meet2016, @battlefield

Admin Team
    Server Administrator: Cei, MoerasGrizzly
    Moderators: Bodge, Dominicus, Anthile, Krathor, Calamity
    Game Moderators: Dewi, Laldy, Rizlar, CMaster, Ksempac, Ridebird, Ethelred
    Last edited by Cei; 23-11-2016 at 07:45 PM.
    RPS Mumble Server [mumble.rockpapershotgun.com:64738]
    RPS Discord Server [Testing in progress! https://discord.gg/rockpapershotgun]
    ServerAdmin

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'm impressed at how quickly you went from "Nah, not really interested" to "OK, we're killing mumble".
    Guess it's time to install another VOIP client.

CMaster, Mumble will be around for another six months at least. It won't close until I'm happy with Discord, but to test Discord I need people to move over. If Discord proves unreliable then we'll just fall back to Mumble.
    ServerAdmin

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Cei View Post
    CMaster, Mumble will be around for another six months at least. It won't close until I'm happy with Discord, but to test Discord I need people to move over. If Discord proves unreliable then we'll just fall back to Mumble.
    Hey, It's a good thing. If Discord was able to produce such a swing in opinion, it must be much better. I've got no particular allegiance to any VOIP approach.

It has improved a lot since I took it for a spin around 6-8 months ago. The ongoing Mumble issues with stagnating development or bug fixes also provided a bit of a kick. I'm hopeful for Discord, but not 100% committed right now.
    ServerAdmin

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ethelred's Avatar
    Hi Cei, I have joined the discord server. Just a couple of questions:-

1. How can I set up a Bloodbowl room?
    2. Maybe an elite dangerous one too.

Cheers!

Rooms need to be made by myself or any of the mod team. Does ED have enough players right now?
    ServerAdmin

Can we just give the users the ability to create their own rooms? We can still clear it out if it gets too busy down there.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    Can we just give the users the ability to create their own rooms? We can still clear it out if it gets too busy down there.
    Do you want a log in one day to find a bunch of offensively named rooms, or rooms named (or just so many) to make the server crash, or whatever?

We can, yes, but I'm not keen for the reason CMaster says. However I do want to recruit more mods for the server for this kind of thing.
    ServerAdmin

Lesser Hivemind Node
    General gaming rooms function fine for such things, if you want to lessen the likelyhood of people stumbling in and going "ARE YOU PLAYING GAME?!" you could have a couple named "private" so they maybe get the hint. I don't think discord does temp channels though yet.
    We have a discord server! - https://discord.gg/rockpapershotgun
    www.folkarps.com - The resident Arma community.
    Steam: Bodge, Origin/Uplay: Bodgemonkey

Ok, we don't have anything organised for E:D (there's a steam group but it's pretty inactive), but I would like a BB room

For games not being regularly played there will be some generic voice channels available. Discord can do private rooms, but I don't want people having their own little fiefdoms and cliques.
    ServerAdmin

OK, correction on nomenclature.

Not a room, just a channel - one of the drop downs that are there currently - that says RPS DoD and has our logo.

I have no interest in cliques or fiefdoms.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MonkeyMonster's Avatar
    I can self nominate for handling GW2 users if you wish Cei, I co-run the rpsgw2 discord server - run separately for more IM stuff
    Monksbjornsson - PS War Monksbane - Viper Necro
    Monksgaard - DH Monkscourge - Power/MM Necro
    Monksfenrisson - Tank Guard Monksderwydd - Druid/Ranger

Has mumble server been killed?
    "It's one against four...That means I'm four times more likely to hit one of you and who knows which one it'll be"

Yes. The contract expired and I wasn't going to continue paying the bill for another 12 months with only a tiny number of users who can easily migrate.
    ServerAdmin

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    So, the Discord server is a pretty roaring success. Just under 700 members, frequently over 150 online, regularly used to organise games of Guild Wars 2, Rainbow 6 Siege, World of Warships, World of Warcraft and real life meets with various other game groups springing up (and we're changing things to make it easier to do so). So want to play with RPS people? Want a live community to play games and Be Excellent with? Then come join us!

(BTW Cei, you should probably change your sig)