Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1

    Magic the Gathering EDH - Tabletop Simulator

    Well the title kind of says it all really. I was wondering if anyone was interested in some multiplayer EDH (or other modes if that takes your fancy, I have some Modern decks as well). I figure that if we have enough interest we could put together a small tournament.

    I have uploaded a custom table to the workshop for whoever is hosting to use: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=881302184

    Table.jpg

    And have set up Discord - https://discord.gg/kTxfKmt

    While you can make your decks with an image editor[1] I suggest using http://www.frogtown.me/ to create your deck (at least until you are happy with it and want to make it pretty). As for deckbuilding, I am not totally against netdecking, but lets face it EDH is supposed to be fun and no one really has fun against those decks that combo off on turn 3 so probably best if people avoid the really broken stuff.

    So yeah, those that are interested message me here or on Discord and we will see if we can get some games going.

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    EDIT: For those of you that are not that familiar with EDH/Commander you can find the additional rules as well as a ban list here: http://mtgcommander.net/rules.php

    In addition http://magiccards.info/ is a very good resource when it comes for searching for cards. You can even select the "Commander" format in the advanced search when looking for cards that fit your deck.

    For those new to the format you might find some of these videos useful:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...W20-cuBiRWDdGb

    If you are new to MTG in its entirety, Wizards of the Coast have released some pre-made Commander decks, if anyone is interested in learning these could be a good place to start. I can dig up one of the decklists and import it. A primer on how to play can be found here: http://magic.wizards.com/en/gameplay/how-to-play

    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    [1] - I have a template for GIMP if anyone wants.
    Last edited by jon_hill987; 13-03-2017 at 11:02 PM.

  2. #2
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    192
    Right, I would be up for this (I won't have time to even look at it this week though)

    I have played a fair bit but only physically and only "standard" as of a few rotations around kamigawa (spelling) do you have some kind of newbies guide to EDH and a list of that sets are legal?

    I wouldn't net deck as such but having not played in a long time I would have to dig through a lot of cards I would guess...

  3. #3
    I'm worried that as a semi-knowledgeable EDH player, in that.. Well, I know the power-cards, there's going to be the knowledgebase equivalent of the Haves and the Have Nots.

    To that end, I will link CommanderTheory's list of the best/staple cards in each colour, and why they're there. It's not netdecking, but if you don't know about cards like Sol Ring, Mana Crypt, ____ Tutor, Sensei's Divining Top, etc.. Then there's a big imbalance.

    I find playing with my sibling that I tend to cut a lot of these cards out- They know about these kinds of cards, but aren't as good at synergy & tend to go for more theme in the theme/optimization balance when deckbuilding. I think establishing a group "what we want out of this" is a good idea- Otherwise you will have at least one person who's been EDHing for years and can consistently get a win condition out in the first 5 turns, while you'll also have people who're fairly new or playing casual decks getting consistently wiped out.

    Also, might I suggest OCTGN? It's not as pretty as TTS, but playing MtG/importing decks from deckbuilding sites is a lot easier in my experience.
    Last edited by Dilapinated; 13-03-2017 at 06:26 PM.
    Steam: Dilapinated

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by jerseyspud View Post
    Do you have some kind of newbies guide to EDH and a list of that sets are legal?
    Edited the first post to include links to the commander rules/ban list, a card resource site and a youtube playlist aimed at people new to the format.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dilapinated View Post
    I'm worried that as a semi-knowledgeable EDH player, in that.. Well, I know the power-cards, there's going to be the knowledgebase equivalent of the Haves and the Have Nots.

    To that end, I will link CommanderTheory's list of the best/staple cards in each colour, and why they're there. It's not netdecking, but if you don't know about cards like Sol Ring, Mana Crypt, ____ Tutor, Sensei's Divining Top, etc.. Then there's a big imbalance.

    I find playing with my sibling that I tend to cut a lot of these cards out- They know about these kinds of cards, but aren't as good at synergy & tend to go for more theme in the theme/optimization balance when deckbuilding. I think establishing a group "what we want out of this" is a good idea- Otherwise you will have at least one person who's been EDHing for years and can consistently get a win condition out in the first 5 turns, while you'll also have people who're fairly new or playing casual decks getting consistently wiped out.
    I would hope that the more knowledgeable people would also be able to "power down" their deck as you do to make it more fun for everyone. Find out how experienced your opponents are and adjust accordingly, It's a casual format so I would hope that people would do that rather than win at all costs combo off on turn 3 decks. Another option would be perhaps a budget for the decks? To stop people running the original dual lands and the fetch lands to get them, or cards like Moat. My deck on TTS is one I have build in real life so despite being 5 colour runs none of these insanely priced cards. (Deck is 200 rather than the 1500 my "preferred" decklist would be).

    Quote Originally Posted by jerseyspud View Post
    Also, might I suggest OCTGN? It's not as pretty as TTS, but playing MtG/importing decks from deckbuilding sites is a lot easier in my experience.
    With that frogtown link I put in the first post it is really easy with TTS. So if enough people have it I would like to try to get some additional use out of it myself. But if there are enough people that would prefer, yeah we can change.
    Last edited by jon_hill987; 13-03-2017 at 06:58 PM.

  5. #5
    Obscure Node
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    5
    @jon_hill987 I'll be definitely up for this. I just moved to a new place so give me a week or two to settle down and then I'm game :) - Thx for doing this.

  6. #6
    OK, given people seem to need a while, for various reasons, I am away towards the end of the month myself, perhaps we should aim for April? Any suggestions on times or days?

  7. #7
    Well I am back from my trip, how does next weekend sound for folks? Saturday or Sunday? I will be free both days (subject to change, might end up working Sat).

    Evening (UK time) probably better given that Thomaswown is from Vancouver (-7 or -8?). I have a friend who wants to join so another two folks would make four.

    I will be playing Scion of the Ur-Dragon [1], my IRL deck or alternatively Jenara, Asura of War, a deck I have not got around to making IRL but may do some day as Bant gives you access to some pretty cool stuff.

    [1] Don't worry, it is Dragon Tribal not a Five Colour Hermit Druid combo deck, it is also a budget deck, at least when it comes to lands, I could not afford to get the original dual lands or the fancy fetch lands IRL so they are not present here.
    Last edited by jon_hill987; 02-04-2017 at 01:18 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •