Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast
    Activated Node

Stellaris - Make space great again

Pre-orders for Stellaris are available NOW. I'm so pumped.

I know our parents at Rock Paper Shotgun says that we mustn't pre-order before we've had at least one serving of OPINIONS, but I think I'll be naughty...

Or maybe our benevolent overlords at Paradox will make it possible for OPINIONS to be available before release date? That would be the best.

#makespacegreatagain
    Last edited by rustic; 15-04-2016 at 05:54 PM. Reason: grammar
    Not as stupid as I look

Interstellar HYPE!
    Dirt Rally: The League!
    "Having a creative vision doesnít mean rejecting good ideas when you recognize them. In fact stubbornly sticking to the original vision in the face of better ideas is a sign of an insecure or egotistical artist, and is the kind of thinking that got us Daikatana." - KillahMate

Lesser Hivemind Node DevinSmoth's Avatar
    I can't wait for this game. Also on the fence about pre-ordering... it looks so good. Paradox is usually good about making good games... just their launches can be a bit scary... not sure if I want to pre-order with that hanging over them.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    I dunno I trust Paradox by this point, and it looks sooooo good, pre-order ban be damned.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus zanchito's Avatar
    I have everything Crusader Kings and haven't played more than one hour. Buying stuff at at least 75% discount, so it's not that much money, but although the game sounds like tons of fun, it has a learning curve almost as inclined as Dwarf Fortress. Again, Stellaris sounds like it'd be great, but I fear it'll be just as impenetrable.
    Steam: Zanchito || Guild Wars 2: Gatonegro || The Secret World: Mescalitoh || Elite Dangerous: CMDR Zanchito

Obscure Node
    Never pre-order. Never. Be strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Morte66 View Post
    Never pre-order. Never. Be strong.
    Too late, I've already succumbed! If anyone else is weak like me you can save quite a bit on the Steam RRP by shopping around - check out ITAD for the best price (currently around the £25 mark for the standard edition).

There's also a new pre-order trailer:

Steam : pngblackice
    Raptr : pngblackice

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackice View Post
    Too late, I've already succumbed! If anyone else is weak like me you can save quite a bit on the Steam RRP by shopping around - check out ITAD for the best price (currently around the £25 mark for the standard edition).

There's also a new pre-order trailer:

CDkeys has it for £20 but they are grey area seller.

I am really looking forward to this but will not be pre-ordering, I'm still playing Elite, Xcom2 and Fallout 4.

Activated Node
    If you're willing to use a reliable, though unauthorised, source then you can get it for £20 at CD Keys.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus zanchito's Avatar
    Apparently this is a thing in Green Man Gaming: Save 25% off Stellaris using voucher code: 20PERC-SAVING-APRIL1
    Steam: Zanchito || Guild Wars 2: Gatonegro || The Secret World: Mescalitoh || Elite Dangerous: CMDR Zanchito

Activated Node
    At the moment I'm simmering with hype to the extent that I just want to throw money at Paradox, and therefore I'm considering buying it via their own discount free website.

Also, my mum has taught me not to click on linkies from weird people (yes, you) on the internet. ;)
    Not as stupid as I look

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Ahhhhh .... I want it but I didn't get on with CK2 and EUIII so I'm thinking I shouldn't ... but I want it ...
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Activated Node
    Really looking forward to this but i want to play something similar in the meantime my choices are:

Distant Worlds, Gal Civ 2 and Endless Space, I own all three but have never played them any suggestions as to which one to pick?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    I get the feeling thit is going to be very unsatisfying at launch, so I'm going to hold off.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    i want to preorder it so bad but i still hope for gog version so will hold off.

Lesser Hivemind Node Procrastination Giant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    i want to preorder it so bad but i still hope for gog version so will hold off.
    I think that is highly unlikely, considering that none of the recent Paradox in-house release appear to be on GoG. But since it's a paradox release there really isn't that much of a reason to get it on the cesspool that is GoG in the first place, since it's basically guaranteed that the steam release will be completely DRM free, like all the other paradox titles. Paradox also tend to be one of the few developers that make "proper" use of the version rollback feature on steam, so you can even keep archives of individual versions if you really have to.
    Last edited by Procrastination Giant; 17-04-2016 at 01:43 PM.
    Bullshit makes the flowers grow and that's beautiful!
    Poke me on Steam, if you must.

Network Hub
    I decided to hold off and finish first the zillion 4x games I still have in my backcatalog. Looking at the Blorg series it looks like fun, but at the same time not very different from the 4x genre.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Mobile ringtones as a pre-order bonus? That's convincing!

On a more serious note, I'm not sure what to expect here. I played two (long) games of Europa Universalis IV before getting bored of waiting for some arbitrary points-total to increase (I think it was Military, Diplomacy and Government or somesuch), and playing Crusader Kings always felt like watching that late night TV show everyone seems to think is the funniest thing ever and not getting the joke.

I suppose I'll keep an eye on this, anyway. I quite like the sci-fi setting for large strategy games, but wasn't sufficiently impressed with the latest Civilization to buy that, and the Endless series seems to have only really flourished when it made the jump to the more fantasy-like Legend theme.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Lesser Hivemind Node Procrastination Giant's Avatar
    I have yet to really watch any indepth footage, but i have a hunch that i might end up preordering afterall once i've seen a bit more gameplay. But on the other hand... I don't expect the launch to be smooth and i don't expect the game to really come into its own until the second or so DLC/expansion comes around, but i have faith in paradox. If there's one studio that might be able to dethrone Distant Worlds it's them.
    Bullshit makes the flowers grow and that's beautiful!
    Poke me on Steam, if you must.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    For those on the fence, the Blorg streams are pretty funny and informative. Like a pre-release Let's Play series.