Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: funny games

funny games

Regardless of the game quality my last ones were portal games, undertale (a lot of it is silly anime gags but who am I to judge? My humor sucks), hot tin roof: the cat that wore a fedora, ittle dew (it's getting a sequel).
    What were yours?
    Last edited by Wenz; Yesterday at 01:53 PM.

While it is possible my non-native instincts are being fooled here, I wouldn't call the Portal games "funny".
    The Onward March of Bundles - filling your backlog since 1911. For a list of active deals, and more, click here.
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

glados is like some evil teacher so I guess it's not "good for kids" funny

As far as my understanding of the English language goes, funny is a specific, kind of low-brow, type of humor, Portals are more witty and, uhm, black comedy? and Ittle Dew has a sarcastic slant.

Maybe humorous would be a more general, more fitting description for them all?
    The Onward March of Bundles - filling your backlog since 1911. For a list of active deals, and more, click here.
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

sure/000000000

The Stanley Parable is a very funny game. Also Telltale Games' three seasons of Sam & Max. (Ironic that they later got into dark shit like Walking Dead and Wolf Among Us)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    As far as my understanding of the English language goes, funny is a specific, kind of low-brow, type of humor
    No, that's not really true. "Funny" is a generic term describing anything with humor. Perhaps you're making the association because it's applied to humor that doesn't fall into a more specific category. "Wit" implies intelligence, so if you hear "funny" to describe things that aren't specifically witty, you might think it means low-brow. But "funny" doesn't only mean things like slapstick.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    Maybe humorous would be a more general, more fitting description for them all?
    Nah, funny in the sense here is just synonymous with humorous. Funny can mean a lot of things, but often it simply means humorous.

Most recent for me is the prettied-up Day of the Tentacle. One of the funniest ever.

Brutal Legend, though I haven't played it in a while, is a very funny game that seems to have gone under the radar despite being Tim Shafer and the voice of Jack Black. Not the greatest game but it's certainly not bad. The humor is great, at least for its niche.

Stanley Parable was a masterclass in well thought out game comedy. It actually engaged the player too, which made the humor not only relevant, but likely timeless. I can't see it ageing the way a lot of other jokes or memes laid into other games might.

I'm struggling to think of other games that genuinely gave me that sense of laugh out loud joy. Portal 2 did have a few excellent moments with Wheatley, if only because his blundering West Country-ness is appealing in a homely sense. Some for entirely the wrong reasons (Ducati World Championship... I'm looking at you), but that's not what I think is meant.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    (Ironic that they later got into dark shit like Walking Dead and Wolf Among Us)
    Not really, good comedy actor or writer will be capable of doing good drama too.

I'd add Magicka, and (modded) Left 4 Dead 2 to the list as well. Magicka has a few sight/language gags, but the game is at it's funniest when playing with friends, things like screwing up a spell or being chased in circles by an ogre / etc.

Similarly with Left 4 Dead 2, adding the benny hill theme song as background music to the tank fights elevates them to another level (That, and making all the boomers look like the Stay Puft Man from Ghostbusters).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    From top of my head

Grim Fandango has lots of funny and witty moments.

That's the last game in humorous category I played. Which is weird. there aren't many comedic games of high quality.

Besides south Park. Is there any humorous RPG out there? All of them are Grim dark end of the world is here kind of stuff.

Only adventure genre has substantial amount of funny games with unwritten tales being modern prime example while monkey Island and day of tentacle being the old school.

Network Hub
    I suppose we could add the Lego titles to the mix? While they do seem to use gags a lot, I'm finding Harry Potter genuinely funny at times. Or humorous... whatever fits.

I'd have to say that the game that I've laughed the most with was Carmageddon. None of the sequels matched that one for side splitting yuks, it has to be the first one.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Metal Slug. You can't just not laugh at some animations in this game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Saints Row 4 is by the far the funniest game I've played of late.

I guess firewatch has wit. Forgot about that one.
    Last edited by Wenz; Yesterday at 03:17 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Gang Beasts is fucking hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Rizlar View Post
    Gang Beasts is fucking hilarious.
    In a similar vein, so is watching people play Nidhogg
    - Do you have any debts?

- I owe some people a few apologies.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    And Duck Game.