Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Negativity in Gaming

Why is the gaming community so negative?

I subscribe to a few game related sub-reddits: The Long Dark, Mass Effect, and Elite Dangerous. All three of them have become almost completely negative posts all the time. Why is this? I liked Andromeda, it wasn't the best game ever, but it didn't kill anyone's dog. It needed more time in the oven for sure, and the patches have helped immensely. I still jump in and play some multiplayer once in a while.

The Long Dark just had an update, and judging but the sub reddit, you would think that the developers might have been better off just canceling the game all together. I checked it out expecting the worse, and I found it to be... an early access game that had a major update? I didn't have any issue with it after a couple hours of readjusting to some UI changes.

Elite Dangerous suffers the same problems, the devs can't seem to do anything right judging by the community, although the game is still perfectly fine in my eyes (Powerplay not-withstanding). But I don't play it 30+ hours a week, just once in a while when I want to fly around in my Cobra and cause some trouble in a RES site.

Other examples are the Mass Effect 3 ending and No Man's Sky (I don't want to get into this and risk this conversation turning into another needless NMS thread).

Between reddit, and blog comments, it makes me wonder why anyone would want to get into game design? It seems like it would be so unbelievably soul crushing to see your most passionate fans constantly trashing your work, and sometimes even the employees on a personal level. Especially for a dev like Hinterland (The Long Dark), which is incredibly small and independent.

For the most part I really like reading the RPS forums, they are much, much more fair about most things. I would venture so far as to say it's the best gaming community I have found. It seems like this might be a good place to start a conversation on this. I've wanted to write this post for a while, but I'm a bit Internet shy. I'm just curious if anyone else here feels the same way that I do and would like to see a little more positivity in gaming!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    People who are happy with a product usually just carry on with their lives instead of jumping into online discussions.

Unhappy people on the other hand...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Have you ever had someone paint your room? Except this time they added unicorns because unicorns are awesome.

How do you feel? Positive or negative?

I'm generally ok with working products, ok art etc. But when companies/devs break the game, or just plain avoid actual working mechanics I can get "negative". KSP and Minecraft both lost a long time ago focus and somewhat interesting mechanics, but the dev teams were great and the mods fixed most of that (For example automation in KSP, lack of content in MC). So little to no negativity.

Other teams/companies will take out the modding to add their own overpriced DLC... Ahem TakeTwo. ;)

And as above. Also, find better communities.
    It is a technical difference, but's there none the less.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcitableBoy View Post
    Why is the gaming community so negative?

I subscribe to a few game related sub-reddits:
    There's your problem.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LordShadoko's Avatar
    Andromeda is a specific case though, because it summons the hatred (and I think it's the right word here) from different communities that are not mutually exclusive :
    -The "Bioware was better" bandwagon and their messiah Baldur's Gate ; I feel like they're here since Kotor, really.
    -The Gamergate community, to the cries of "SJW ruined this game", or "this game was crap because it has too many female/trans/gay/whatever characters in it".
    -And the rest of the Internet, that found a new Game It's Nice To Hate after NMS.
    The game got caught in a crossfire.
    Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
    Fallen London

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by coldvvvave View Post
    People who are happy with a product usually just carry on with their lives instead of jumping into online discussions.
    Relentlessly positively prerelease coverage.
    Happy people play games and shut up.
    Schadenfreude.
    Gaming more than any medium(except maybe gambling, is that a medium?) is built around creating mental 'pain' to keep people hooked and buying in.
    Some online multiplayer business models games are essentially hostage situations.
    Survival games are willfully abusive because it makes content go further.
    I can keep going.
    I am once again writing a blog, vaguely about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

In case of forum degradation pull cord.

Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    There's your problem.
    Ha, I was expecting this. Yes, reddit is a pain in the ass, but it is far better than the forums for specific game/dev/publisher. Those tend to be even nastier in my experience. So where does one go who actually enjoys something and wants interact with someone else who enjoys the same thing without being called a shill or apologist for liking said thing? Reddit can occasionally fill that spot.

I'm not saying that being critical of a product is bad - what bothers me is people getting so upset that they end up tarnishing or ruining the experience for others.

Quote Originally Posted by LordShadoko View Post
    Andromeda is a specific case though, because it summons the hatred (and I think it's the right word here) from different communities that are not mutually exclusive :
    -The "Bioware was better" bandwagon and their messiah Baldur's Gate ; I feel like they're here since Kotor, really.
    -The Gamergate community, to the cries of "SJW ruined this game", or "this game was crap because it has too many female/trans/gay/whatever characters in it".
    -And the rest of the Internet, that found a new Game It's Nice To Hate after NMS.
    The game got caught in a crossfire.
    I think you're right about ME:A, the Internet had been waiting for something to rage about, and it fit the bill. I guess I just don't get that mentality.

Lesser Hivemind Node TechnoJellyfish's Avatar
    See, I'm always more baffled by the presence of copious amounts of die-hard fanboys that inhabit these kind of game specific subforums. I guess they should balance themselves out in the end.

(Were you seriously surprised about the negative backlash following the release of NMS?)

Have you ever played League? Negativity taken to a whole new level.. it always amazes home how seriously people take it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Gus_Smedstad's Avatar
    I think the problem is just people, period. Game forums, car forums, electronics forums - most of 'em have pretty terrible attitudes and/or biases.

Quote Originally Posted by Chitzkoi View Post
    Have you ever played League? Negativity taken to a whole new level.. it always amazes home how seriously people take it.
    MOBAs are an art form when it comes to abusive systems. A poor ally isn't just a handicap because you have less good allies, they literally aid your opponent. In Battlefield 2 if a sniper rips up a squad of newbies at least he has highlighted his position to the better players. But in DOTA or League the sniper has now leveled up and has a improved rate of fire/self healing.

Snowballing attrition feels fair in a 1 on 1 (say an RTS) duel, but one newcomer/idiot can completely tank a 6 vs 6 battle.

Man, this is why the best MOBA is LAPD Future cop.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    It's easy to blame the people acting out, and often that's fair enough, but I don't think that's the full story. When was the last time a game really amazed you, changed the way you thought about a genre or even the medium itself? For me, that was in 2005 with World of Warcraft. Others will perhaps cite Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, or Morrowind, of GTA IV - whatever. But between all the nagging about little details, I think there's a sort of collective disappointment in how the medium has seemingly stagnated and failed to deliver on hopes and promises. And you can only obscure that by raising the resolution so many times before its effect wears a bit thin.

Part of that might be wanting games to be more than they are. Some people seem to have their lives revolve around games, which is never a good idea. But even those who play maybe five or so hours a week still see all the same RPG fetch quests they did 10 years ago, still see the same incompetent AI in their racing games, still see that MMOs have languished, still see that the next Civilization might not be all that different once the shine wears off, etc.

Another thing is the openness about development. Developing a game, or indeed any project, is perhaps not something you want to share with (future) customers. Something about knowing how a sausage is made. This isn't just Early Access titles, it's also the games that constantly change over 'seasons' and the like. When people think they have a chance to have influence, they get all the more frustrated when they don't. Or when it turns out others have more. What used to be a community instead becomes a near battle for (real or imagined) influence over the developers - with people arguing at great length why class X or hero Y is in need of change.
    Last edited by Tritagonist; 20-06-2017 at 06:30 PM.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Schadenfreude.
    Gaming more than any medium(except maybe gambling, is that a medium?) is built around creating mental 'pain' to keep people hooked and buying in.
    Some online multiplayer business models games are essentially hostage situations.
    I can keep going.

To all that I want to add internet people forget to talk about the game or the thing to go personal, blame it on anyone in one way or another, make up whatever they want and weaponize generic stuff so that an opinion is wrong and a game is bad because of trivial bullshit.
    Last edited by Wenz; 20-06-2017 at 06:40 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Meh, I am subscribed to a bunch of game related sub-reddits and it is a case by case thing, with some subs being quite large and varied. I find the "gaming community is horrible" assessment rather extreme just as well. There is a LOT of that, but the internet is large and there are countless communities.

Man, this is why the best MOBA is LAPD Future cop.
    I miss that game. Where is the "Have You Played?" entry and GOG release? I lost my disc long ago. I wonder if the dev that came up with the proto-MOBA mode just sits in a chair and fumes every night at thinking what could have been...

It has a demo.
    https://archive.org/details/fcopdemo
    But it's not had a digital re-release yet.

To be fair it wasn't an original formula, Herzog Zwei was ahead of it by a decade or so.

Quote Originally Posted by coldvvvave View Post

Unhappy people on the other hand...
    I'd say this is exactly it. When someone is happy with a product, they will sometimes mention it, but they're generally not going to go on and on about it unless asked or prompted to. When you get someone that is unhappy with a product, they're either: A) going to return it and move on, or B) they're going to bitch and bitch and bitch and bitch and... well, you get the point.

The amount of negativity you're seeing is, most likely, a very small fraction of the gaming population. The only reason you're seeing it is because of the "vocal minority". There's a lot less of them, but they sure don't miss a chance to voice their negative opinions. Think of it like America. You never really see anything good coming from us. Hell even being here, we never really see anything good coming from us. But by and large, there are a hell of a lot more great people and things here than not. We just have one of the loudest group of assholes on the planet.

I'm guilty of pissing and moaning about things every now and then. But I try not to do that as much as possible. I think everyone is guilty of it from time to time.
    Last edited by Viral Frog; 20-06-2017 at 07:48 PM.
    Steam: Viral Frog
    If your Steam display name is different than your forum display name, please send me a private message before adding me.

I'd say that almost every internet community is terrible, full stop. Doesn't matter whether you're into cameras, audio equipment, gardening tools or (god forbid) the youtube comments section, 9 times out of 10 the general atmosphere is terrible. I don't bother with the comments or the forums on most sites, so the negativity doesn't bother me as much on a day to day basis. I just stick to RPS and a select few subreddits, and that's it.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. G3rt

Guild Wars 2 characters: Norgothus (Norn Necromancer), Maggrivo (Charr Warrior)

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    Never go full Wulf.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Schadenfreude.
    I can keep going.
    That mental pain bit. I've seen similar negativity in sports, cigarettes (esigs too) and gambling. :/

PS, you can also change "internet community" with most types of community. There are some nasty dog/cat clubs out there (no idea about the Cherry Shrimp scene though, those people are probably really nice!).
    It is a technical difference, but's there none the less.