Is ARMA III Apex ?

Is not a real question. But just "ARMA III" sounds like something is missing.

If by chance some of you have played the game since APEX is out, what I'd like to know is : can a man get new fun out of arma III with the additionnal content if he hasn't buy the Tanoa map ? The steam reviews seem to suggest otherwise :=(broken mods, extra weight for nothing, etc...).

By the way, if I wanted to try those famous mods (now that they are broken) would it be better for me to install the game directly out of the program file usual destination ? I remember lots of confusion when trying to install mods for Arma 3 in my previous experience.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    Looks like you got somethings confused.

1. The only thing you can't access without APEX is the new island, Tanoa.
    Everything else (new weapons most importantly) is available to you with some restrictions. Most importantly you'll get a "BUY ME" notification after a while of playing with DLC weapons. These aren't gamebreaking but can get bothersome as they become more prominent the more hours you play (in one sitting).

That said, Tanoa is awesome and absolutely worth it.

2. Most mods will continue to work without DLCs. Even missions using new DLC things will work thanks to the mechanic I mentioned in 1.

3. Steam workshop has most addons now, it's hassle-free. For those addons that are not on the workshop you can use the ARMA3 launcher (when you start ARMA3 from steam) to add their folder to your addon list, wherever they are.

4. Never trust steam reviews, especially not for ARMA3 as there are too many way to play (and break) the game.

And now for some some shameless self-promotion:
    If you want to try out ARMA3 with a friendly, tactical-minded but non-milsim community join us at Folk ARPS. We'll continue playing a guaranteed non-Tanoa mission at the start of every session for the coming month.

Obscure Node
    I think Tanoa alone is worth it. I'm enjoying it much more than Altis. I also just think Bohemia are one of those developers that should be supported. For all of their faults, the amount of support they give Arma is amazing.

Good! Caus I don't like Altis so much. I feel that computer games are not able to do justice to the mediteranean's land's charms. Too much light.

In Arma 3 I have mostly played singleplayer until now. And I havn't finish it : too hard. In regular mode the AI kills me before I even see it. I see all the strenghts of this sim but I can't really taste the whole thing since I haven't played much multiplayer yet.

About multi and from what I saw in vids, most players don't stick to first person view and often conveniently switch to 3rd person view to get a tactical advantage. It means I'll have to learn doing the same if I don't want to be a sitting duck (I usually stick to first person because it's more fun and adds immersion/and it's called a FPS after all).

There's something funny that happens to me when I start playing Arma 3 and pepper NPCs with bullets while they refuse to die : I always feel like I play a low level rpg character who won't shoot and move properly until reaching higher levels.
    Last edited by Tevildo; Yesterday at 10:09 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    About multi and from what I saw in vids, most players don't stick to first person view and often conveniently switch to 3rd person view to get a tactical advantage. It means I'll have to learn doing the same if I don't want to be a sitting duck (I usually stick to first person because it's more fun and adds immersion/and it's called a FPS after all).
    This is entirely dependant on the server running the mission. I don't play on public servers but I think there should be some with firstperson only out there. The community I play with (Folk ARPS) has third person disabled.

In Arma 3 I have mostly played singleplayer until now. And I havn't finish it : too hard. In regular mode the AI kills me before I even see it. I see all the strenghts of this sim but I can't really taste the whole thing since I haven't played much multiplayer yet.
    What is your AI difficulty setting? I'd suggest running with a precision value of around 0.2 - 0.25. Skill can be higher, maybe around 0.75 - 0.85.