Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    World of Goo and the snippets of menu music in TF2 are rather good

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Come to think of it, the music was virtually the only thing I liked about Braid, but I REALLY liked it.
    Last edited by vinraith; 13-06-2011 at 01:49 AM.

Obscure Node
    Braid is indeed a contender for best - albeit non-original, IIRC -game music.

However, my favourite original game score is probably Mark Morgan's score for Torment.

For best main theme, Inon Zur's theme for Throne of Bhaal is quite impressive, as is Danny Elfman's for Fable.

(Much to my surprise, the latter, as I am not an Elfman fan; or remotely close to that.)

Suprised that noone has posted this yet.

This I also like.

And finally.

Obscure Node
    I'd forgotten about Battlefield! Probably *the* most iconic main theme of the last decade.

Edit: Back when I bought Battlefield 1942, my Pentium III really wasn't up to the challenge of actually running it, but I booted it up anyway, just to listen to the theme as the maps loaded. True story!

Activated Node
    All the talk of unreal reminded me:

By far the most enjoyable soundtrack to snipe to when floating around on an asteroid.

Obscure Node
    One of my personal favourites:
    <iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7zRo3Yvb4GM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The music from Braid is also amazing, and very good for listening to while playing Minecraft.

Assassin's Creed 2 and Brotherhood also have very lovely and awesome music:
    <iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/psJx4rKoCKY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Last edited by berjalan; 13-06-2011 at 11:23 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    The Beyond Good and Evil soundtrack is all kinds of amazing, from the made up languages to the way it goes absolutely everywhere.

The whole thing can be found here.
    Last edited by Skalpadda; 13-06-2011 at 12:05 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    I'm quite delighted that I own the Frozen Synapse soundtrack. It's really not my style, but oh so good.

And thanks to whoever posted the brilliant Diablo 1 soundtrack up there. Ah, memories...

/edit:

I can't pass a game music thread without promoting my favourite game music composer of all times, Chris Hülsbeck of Rainbow Arts, some of the biggest guys in European Amiga/C64 publishing/development.

A few years ago, this happened (and it was brilliant):

Last edited by Vexing Vision; 13-06-2011 at 01:39 PM.
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Network Hub

Best game soundtracks?

Well I think its in the name. But what game do you think has the best sound track? Maybe not the genre of music you listen to but one that fits the game well.

personally for me its gotta be something a long the lines of the Need for Speed games. The music isn't really my style but it kinda adds to the atmosphere of it.

But. What do you think?
    Official RPS Thread argument catalyst.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory Has a beautiful arrangement of original music by Amon Tobin. It's even tuned to react to the events of the game.

Silent Hill 2 OST is probably the best game-fitting OST I've ever heard. Best OST in itself would probably be SH4 OST, just because it's more "music"-ish as compared to more ambient SH2 OST. Also, honorary mention to The Witcher soundtrack, which has some really great tunes.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    I'd say the best original soundtrack is Warcraft II's. But otherwise I feel it definitely belongs to Vice City.
    Last edited by Fumarole; 09-08-2011 at 04:10 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Outcast
    Unreal
    The Sonic series (in particular 1, 2, SA1, SA2 and Heroes)
    WoW: Wrath of the Lich King
    Arcanum

Honorary mentions:
    the original tracks in GTA3, particularly Lips 106 and Head Radio - I actually find it a shame the series is composed entirely of licensed music these days instead of great parodies of popular trends (which still worked genuinely well)
    Fallout 1/2 (not necessarily I'd listen to as music per se but unrivalled in creating a fantastic ambience)
    Super Smash Bros Melee/Brawl because of the brilliant remix work for classic tunes
    StarFox Adventures (because it's good and has some genuinely fantastic moments but overall not so consistently great (or rather, a fair number of songs work brilliantly in-game but less so outside it) I'd raise it to the BEST EVER ranks)
    Last edited by Flint; 09-08-2011 at 04:12 PM.
    Give me [url=http://steamcommunity.com/id/flintgf]steam[/url] and how you feel to make it real.

Network Hub
    Mechwarrior 2 :D
    [FONT=Fixedsys]Why are you wearing that stupid human suit?[/FONT]

Network Hub
    Grim Fandango. Duh. How did that take an hour to mention?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    I'd say the best original soundtrack is Warcraft II's
    I can't even imagine how many times I heard these songs. Seeing your mention, I went and found some of the tracks on Youtube. Nostalgic familiarity overload.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Final Fantasy 7, all the soundtracks go with what its trying to evoke. Also a lot of them are just beautiful.

Advent Rising and Stubbs the Zombie.

Not a PC game, but the best soundtrack, both as a separate album and in game, is Roar of the Earth from Shadow of the Colossus by a long way.