Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Horror games

Horror games

A recommendation thread and maybe something to keep track of recent stuff as far as horror goes in the case it gets bigger.
    These days I'm playing avp classic 2000 amd having fun with it but I wouldn't mind anything else from turn based to rpg and vn or even anime.
    btw yomawari should be out
    Last edited by Wenz; 29-10-2016 at 09:11 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Zombi. Terrifying.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I thought I posted about Anatomy, just it seems it got eaten.

It's not an illegitimate indie journo favourite, forced into limelight, its a quality horror told as only a game could. It costs $2.99 and only a little of your time but it gets in and out, tells its story, fills your nightmares, and gets out before familiarity files off all the edges.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar

Hide and seek:

All three Penumbra games
    Amnesia
    SOMA
    Alien
    Outlast

Shootery:

The Thing
    Resident Evil 4
    FEAR (first one!)
    Evil Within
    Condemned
    The Suffering (Both games)
    Alan Wake
    Dead Space (1 & 2)
    Manhunt
    Cryostasis: Sleep of Reason

Survival:

Lone Survivor
    State Of Decay
    The Forest
    System Shock 2

Other:

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
    Silent Hill (1,2,3)
    Scratches

MODS:

Cry of Fear
    Paranoia
    They Hunger

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BillButNotBen's Avatar
    There seem to have been so many horror games (and zombie games) in the past few years.
    5-10 years back it was hard to name that many horror games.

Call of Cthulu, Amnesia, and Undying are ones I've played that spring to mind as being good.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Eight Rooks's Avatar
    Some decent suggestions here, although The Thing was crap (as a game it was an average shooter at best, and as a horror experience it was literally impossible to keep anyone alive you're not supposed to, it was all scripted, so why should I have cared?). Manhunt was crap (some great voice work, but it was basically Baby's First Stealth Game, laughably simple). Also Resident Evil 6 and Revolutions 2 are the only ones worth playing :leaps off cliff: I REGRET NOTHIIIIIIIIIIING

Never played much of Dark Corners because it seemed so unintentionally funny, as if the developers just couldn't admit Lovecraft will always be ridiculous, even when he's done well. Never got past the first hour or so of Amnesia because OMG, so scare - no, sorry, because I'm tired of games that offer me nothing but Addams Family storytelling and jump scares. I've said it a million times before - sure, if you creep up behind me and yell BOO then I'll fall on the floor whimpering like a small child. That stuff gets boring/annoying really, really fast, though, and Amnesia just doesn't seem to have anything else going for it.
    Smashwords (free stories I wrote) | Steam | Tumblr (reviews, games crit etc.)

(to elaborate on my previous rushed post)

Call of Cthulu: Dark Corners is very good, but very flawed. It basically gets worse as it goes on, so the first 3d is awesome. (I think this is pretty well known).
    The first 3rd isn't really funny, because the funny thing in lovecraft is usually the monsters... which just aren't scary when you can see them. The first 3rd is basically investigating a spooky town and getting bad vibes from the weird locals, plus running away.

Amnesia is, imho, awesome. It gets a bad rap as being just jump scares and running away... but that was actually pretty fresh and original at the time - almost every other horror game was about shooting the monsters.
    Like a horror movie, it relies on suspension of disbelief and buying into the situation. If you do that, creep around, hide, etc... then it's really bloody scary. If you run around at high speed, don't care about dying and restarting, etc.. then the curtain is going to get ripped aside very quickly. Same as if you watch a horror movie with your mates while joking around and drinking beer and pointing out all the weaknesses.
    Penumbra is a prototype Amnesia, with some really good bits, but also some very flaky bits.

Undying is tricky, because it's so old now and it's hard to be scared of creaky old graphics. But it's pretty spooky and creative, and was kinda unique at the time. It's much more in the action/fps vein though.
    AvP2000 is a little older and less specifically horror, but aliens jumping out at you is always scary.
    The Doom Aliens TC is still fricken awesome as well.

Eternal Darkness was great too, but that was on consoles.

I haven't played many of the new breed of horror games, but I imagine they have learned a lot from previous games and movies, so they'll have more tricks up their sleeves, combined with better tech.

For all of these games, turning off the lights and playing wearing headphones can make a world of difference.

Nope, I found the opening of Dark Corners (the villagers, the hotel, the chase sequence etc.) hilarious and impossible to take seriously. Honest. It's basically League of Gentlemen written by accident. I mean, every horror movie (arguably every genre story ever written) relies on buying into the premise. That doesn't excuse a poorly-executed premise. I like Lovecraft, even when it's bargain-basement and inflected with black humor - I saw this film and also this film at a horror festival and hugely enjoyed them. Not really ironically, either, for all both were cripplingly low-budget, amateurish and frequently as camp as a row of tents. I just didn't think what I played of Dark Corners was particularly well done in any sense.

I also played and beat the first Penumbra and again, couldn't get into it at all because I didn't think it was particularly good. Far too short, simplistic, lo-fi, poorly designed and thinly sketched to ever really have any kind of emotional effect on me - my lasting memory of that is killing the dogs by awkwardly climbing up on crates and repeatedly dropping rocks on their heads, which felt absolutely ridiculous, not like a desperate fight for my life against nightmares made flesh.

EDIT: I mean, The Evil Within is frequently utterly ridiculous - a plot that's barely explained, nonsensical technobabble, cliche upon cliche, splattery gore, a skewed Japanese pop-culture take on giallo filmmaking... and it finishes with a scene where you kill the villain (OR DO YOU???) by stamping on his god damned brain, for chrissakes. It's also stunningly artistic, inventive, makes excellent use of pacing and dynamics, has some horrifically brutal detail to even the most over-the-top grand guignol, has subtlety in spades as well as Big Dumb Moments, has character work, and is capable of freaking you out from the atmosphere alone. I can accept some people just can't stop laughing at the daft stuff, but that doesn't invalidate everything the game does right. I don't criticize bad horror because "Oh, it didn't scare me" - I criticise it because, well, The Thing or Manhunt or Resident Evil: Revelations or whatever just do so much demonstrably wrong that anyone who's out-and-out scared by this stuff is just kidding themselves over virtually nothing at all.
    Last edited by Eight Rooks; 30-10-2016 at 12:48 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Amnesia is, imho, awesome. It gets a bad rap as being just jump scares and running away... but that was actually pretty fresh and original at the time - almost every other horror game was about shooting the monsters.
    Uhhh, no. It all started with first Clock Tower on SNES which had a few sequels on PSX and PS2 and one spiritual sequel Demento/Haunting Ground. Also Silent Hill: Shattered Memories was released only year before Amnesia. Or Forbidden Siren on PS2 where you could fight the monsters, but they were immortal and would just get up after a few minutes so you've had to sneak around.
    There's also a game called Hellnight on PSX, where you run away from monster. You've had a NPCs with you that served the role of your lifebar - if monster caught you they died first. It's kind of horror version of pernament NPCs deaths in Fire Emblem.

All these games were made before Amnesia and IMO have more interesting plots and/or mechanics.

So, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories is must play. The best way to play it will be probably emulating the Wii version on Dolphin. There's a PSP version too. Its scare comes directly from plot - it's closer to David Lynch's weird dreamy nightmarish mood than haunted house spooky ride. The "run away from monsters" sequences can be annoying sometimes, but there's only few of them.

EDIT: Speaking more about Amnesia - it destroyed horror genre for me. I don't think there was a single decent horror game released after it that wasn't its clone. *groan*
    Last edited by GameCat; 30-10-2016 at 01:42 PM.

Yeah, I've heard of all of those.. er...

Amnesia destroyed the horror genre because all the good games were clones of it? Sounds like it was pretty awesome.

The Siren games are awesome - even the remake. I never did finish that back when I had a PS3, because I got to the level where you're the little kid escaping from the house, and was too freaked out to keep going - that's how you do "jump scares and running away", not hokey Hammer Horror pantomime silliness. I need to have a proper go at Haunting Ground, too - I do actually own a copy. PCSX2 doesn't emulate all the visual effects correctly but what I played still looked pretty good. I was unaware it was intended as any kind of continuation of Clock Tower, though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Amnesia destroyed the horror genre because all the good games were clones of it? Sounds like it was pretty awesome.
    Dang, I should say it in different way. There weren't any good post-Amnesia horror games at all. At least I didn't see any that I would think of as "oh, that could be nice". Maybe except SOMA.
    EDIT: And Walking Dead. And Until Dawn. Ok, there were some good games.

I was unaware it was intended as any kind of continuation of Clock Tower, though.
    Well, it's spiritual successor, not continuation. You play as a young girl trapped in old mansion and chased by some unpleasant people, just like in first Clock Tower. You should definitelly play it. It's not without flaws, but overall it's very solid game and one of my fauvorite horrors, although I've played it only once few years ago.
    Last edited by GameCat; 30-10-2016 at 04:22 PM.

So I'm looking around and I feel I forgot a ton of stuff.
    Perception seems like another hide and seek with more obfuscation in that it's not that you keep your sanity by turning your head away, you are just blind.
    Phenomeno is free but incomplete.

Yep I played anatomy and a good number of others, as far as shootbangs go avpc00 has plenty of obfuscation for jump scares and that's what I stick to in the fps realm, sooner or later I'll try re6 as much as I dislike the tps part.

yes I do hear about shattered memories and siren games left and right
    Last edited by Wenz; 31-10-2016 at 06:46 AM.

Yup, Phenomeno is awesome, and the game is... sort of complete in the sense that it works like a pilot episode for a TV series would - "I'm sure we'll have lots more exciting adventures every week from now on", and so forth. The game itself is available here (it's a legitimately free download), but I can't see the English patch on any non-dodgy sites (the guy who did the translation has a blog here but there's no patch I can find). Still, it's out there if you're interested. Terrific little short story, legitimately spooky (it still freaks me out even knowing what's coming up) and it's a crying shame no publisher ever picked the series up for release in the West - I'd buy the light novels like a shot (EDIT: No, Wenz, I am not learning Japanese).

Has anyone ever finished cosmology of kyoto?

Quote Originally Posted by Wenz View Post
    Has anyone ever finished cosmology of kyoto?
    I'd be curious how many regular posters here would even know what it is. You only just reminded me right now... I saw it when I was browsing for interesting-looking VNs available in English and always meant to give it a shot, but never got round to it.

Network Hub
    Gotta say I've never heard of CoK. I will gives it a google tho

:O It's Roger Eberts favorite game.
    Last edited by unclepauly; 31-10-2016 at 08:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post

Condemned
    As I always do in discussions about horror games, I strongly recommend Condemned: Crimininal Origins. Still the scariest game I've ever played.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Throatwobbler Mangrove

Guild Wars 2 characters: Norgothus (Norn Necromancer), Maggrivo (Charr Warrior)

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    Never go full Wulf.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by L_No View Post
    As I always do in discussions about horror games, I strongly recommend Condemned: Crimininal Origins. Still the scariest game I've ever played.
    Good call actually.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Kinda strange they never released second one on pc,looking at their game track and being pc devs..