Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Dawn Of War 3 wish list

With the announcement of the Necrons being added to last stand mode in Retribution, I thought it would be a nice time to ponder what people would wish from the third dawn of war.

Slightly more base building.
    The Tau (More races in general but these are my favorite)
    Bigger Maps
    More army customisation
    Stronghold battles like in Dark Crusade

So I open it to the forums, what does everybody else want?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    No micro management or special abilities. Big battles with some tactical flare to them.

Also the fluff being a bit more important. Fuck it I just want Epic 40,000 the video game (but not a panzer corps clone).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    I wouldn't mind a mode or game based on just big battles. I've a bunch of Space Marines, you've a bunch of Orks, let's fight. No bases etc, just units.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Have all the races this time round. From the get go.

1 campaign centered on anything but Tau or Space Marines.

Ideally Ork freebooters staging a mercenary WAAAAARGH where they violently flip flop to to highest bidder until even necrons and Tyranids end up presenting bids out of fear of being wiped away by the green horde, and the happy ending? An unending relentless war, just how Orks like it.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Goff Rockers:

Less like Retribution - More like Chaos Rising crossed with Alien Vs Predator; so an over-arching plot with 3 campaigns using 3 armies that have different playstyles. Playing all three nets the full story of the campaign.

Story will probably go like this:
    -Imperium get attacked by aliens and call for help
    -Space Marines come to the rescue and discover its all a big manipulating chaos plot
    -Imperium and Aliens form an uneasy alliance against the chaos threat
    -Turns out it was actually the ][nquistion (*GASP all along?) manipulating the chaotic forces so that they would manipulate the Aliens and damn the marines moral code foring them into self doubt and exile.
    -cue expansion pack.

I love the Co-op play of DoW II so keep that.

Also Jump packs.
    - Do you have any debts?

- I owe some people a few apologies.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephro View Post
    No micro management or special abilities. Big battles with some tactical flare to them.
    Huh? Why would anyone want to play it in multiplayer then?
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by coldvvvave View Post
    Huh? Why would anyone want to play it in multiplayer then?
    For the joy of outwitting an opponent, like in chess?

Also the plot should go:
    The imperium encounters some aliens. "The xenos must be purged with fire and steel", get on with it soldier. End of story.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EPICTHEFAIL's Avatar
    Well, having a Dawn of War 3 in the first place would be nice.

But I am with Zephro on this one, 40k has focused too much on the small-scale stuff for too long, and it really would be nice to have a large-scale RTS. Ashes of the Singularity demonstrates pretty handily that enormous RTS can actually work quite well, and I wouldn't mind seeing something AotS or Supreme Commander-ish would be nice, less micro, more macro-oriented basically. It would help differentiate the races a lot more - real Imperial Guard tank and infantry spam, real Astartes murdering 100 enemy units for every one of their own, real Tyranid swarms eating everything in sight, real Dark Eldar and Sisters of Battle and other third-rate races being utterly unusable because their "newest" codex pre-dates the bicycle.

Oh, and I want Doomrider. Please let us have Doomrider, I don't care if it gets you in trouble with the Aussies and Germans, just let us have Doomrider.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    For the joy of outwitting an opponent, like in chess?
    Micromanagement and outwitting an opponent are mutually exclusive?
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by coldvvvave View Post
    Micromanagement and outwitting an opponent are mutually exclusive?
    Yes they are. Or at least any form of them that comes down to reaction speeds and memorising shortcut keys is.

Strategy games are meant to be played at a leisurely pace where you can mull things over.

I don't agree, but there is certainly room for high skill ceilings in both cases.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EPICTHEFAIL View Post
    I don't agree, but there is certainly room for high skill ceilings in both cases.
    I agree with this, but I find that most RTS games tend to come down to who has the quicker reactions rather than whose thought out the better plan. And maybe that's the point of them being real time instead of turn based.

But I agree with Zephro that it'd be nice to get an RTS that doesn't come down to who has the best APM etc.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

I SPEAK WITH THE FORCE OF OBJECTIVE FACT!!! Noone may disagree.

Though yeah other RTS styles exist and people can like them however much they want. I just want a nice leisurely RTS where I can plan and strategise at my own pace and not have to click like a demented idiot. Even Total War games make me do that these days. Homeworld is a classic example of an oldie where it was paced much more to my liking.

Also WeGo systems are definitively the best, like FrozenSynapse/FrozenCortex/Combat Mission.

But yeah I still want to see a properly animated titan causing chaos in real time. I just don't want to have to fiddle around with firing it's guns myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    I agree with this, but I find that most RTS games tend to come down to who has the quicker reactions rather than whose thought out the better plan. And maybe that's the point of them being real time instead of turn based..
    That's absolute bollocks. Watch any amount of competitive Starcraft, especially with the really big Korean players, and it's obvious that micro is secondary to the actual strategy. Hell, it's entirely possible for a high-level player to win just by having great macro skill and a good feel for timing, exploiting his opponent's bad habits, and so on, even if their APM isn't up to snuff. Sometimes they can do it even if they aren't Zerg!

Still, I do think we could use a few more large-scale RTS. Total War is off doing its own thing, yes, but there aren't any new conventional RTS that do this sort of thing well, apart from AotS, which is currently hiding under the critic-proof shield of Early Access. Mind you, there aren't all that many new RTS, period - Westwood-style RTS were killed off by the utterly abysmal C&C4 (the EA C&Cs before that were actually pretty good though), and Starcraft is dominating the Blizzard RTS formula to the point where the only game I can think of that tried to do that is Dragon Commander, which was years ago.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Also WeGo systems are definitively the best, like FrozenSynapse/FrozenCortex/Combat Mission.
    An Epic 40k Total War game with a WeGo multiplayer system just might be the last game I ever purchase.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR
    The Red Blades, a Battle Brothers AAR

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    An Epic 40k Total War game with a WeGo multiplayer system just might be the last game I ever purchase.
    Its been a looooooooooong time but wasn't Space Marine (the 6mm wargame and forerunner to Epic) kinda WeGo? I seem to remember a tonne of order cards and movement counters.
    - Do you have any debts?

- I owe some people a few apologies.

I played a sci-fi RTS once and the campaign throws you straight into the war, you start off on a planet building a base and destroying the opponents on that planet. You build a space shuttle launching thingie do-da and move to the next planet. This continues through to the end (I didn't get far) but as you travel to each planet the opponent has already established themselves, depending how long you have spent up to when you reach that planet. You could travel back and forth bringing troops from previous planets but it takes time.

If they make a campaign similiar to this where shit is going on at planets your not at, that would interest me. Otherwise I am looking for a Planetside 2 style 40K game.

So a dynamic campaign thing then? Total Warhammer 40k has a nice ring to it, certainly.