PC game to play LAN

Hey RPS folks !

Soooo, I was looking for a PC game with a decent local or online MP, preferably local, that I could play with my brothers. It can be anything and be an old game as well. Do you have any suggestions ?

Thanks a lot !

-MighTy

Network Hub
    How many people are there? Borderlands 1/2/pre-sequel has never disappointed for top quality Co-op, especially local as the entire game has been built around a multiplayer point of view. I'm yet to play the last title though. Torchlight 2 is a very good co-op ARPG, and it has tons of mods to boot with workshop support (assuming you'll all be playing on Steam). Try Team Fortress 2 if you're up for playing with other people.

And if you want a much more Diablo feel you could also try Path of Exile. It's an awesome game but I stopped playing because of some network issues.

If you're into platformers you could try Trine and it's sequels, however I think it's restricted to three people at a time so you might want to look into that.

Portal 2 co-op is awesome but it's restricted to 2 people.

For older games, I'm not really in touch with them but try Mech Warrior 4. My brother would make me weep, destroying my catapult's missile launchers and practically crippling me before going in for the kill.

That's all I can remember off my head. I'm sure these guys will know a lot more.
    I game on a four year old laptop.

And I speak English only marginally well. Kindly bear with me.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed for some superb karting?

Minecraft with multiple players is awesome - it's the default game my usual gaming group falls back on. I second Borderlands, if you have four players or less it's a great co-op experience.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Gert

Guild Wars 2 characters: Norgothus (Norn Necromancer), Maggrivo (Charr Warrior)

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    Never go full Wulf.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    RTS were popular in my LAN days:
    Empire Earth 1&2, Rise of Nations, Starcraft, Warcraft III, Homeworld
    There are a ton of other RTS, you have a large selection.

Heroes of Might & Magic III is always fun

Never really tried 4X multiplayer, but I could see them fun in a LAN setting.

Network Hub
    What we usually play when playing Lans :

The Hidden Source : Nice when having a good number of people (I think it's 5 or 6 ?). It's an asymetric team game : One player is The Hidden, the result of human experimentations that resulted in a freak that is invisible, can cling to walls and ceiling and uses only a brutal knige and mindgames to eliminate the other team, which is a group of super armed soldiers that use teamplay and gadgets to find and kill the hidden. It's a (free) HLČ mod and it's wonderful.
    As the hidden you can stick bodies on walls or ceiling to scare the survivors, you can whisper horrible things in their ears to make them twitchy and shoot their own friends, it's the most fun I've ever had in a multiplayer videogame.

Left 4 Dead (And L4D2) : Play it if you're three or four, or if you're 7 or eight. It's still one of the most fun and easy to play coop shooter. It's wonderfully paced, it's varied, it's hectic, it's just the right kind of hard, it's the bomb.

Defcon : A "light" RTS that you play in real time over the course of your lan party. Play in "realistic" mode where you can't speed up time. What you get is a game of escalation where each player is a superpower in an increasingly serious nuclear conflict. You play this over 6 hours : when you send a bomber to attack an enemy city, it can take from 20 minutes to an hour. The result is a tense game that runs in the background, and you alt tab from time to time to give new orders or check on what your opponents are doing. And the moment where your submarines are a few hundred kilometers from the North American east coast, and you launch your nukes just when he goes to the toilet, or when he's really busy with the Unreal Tournament map you're playing on, and you stealthily alt tab every minute to check if he didn't notice your attack. When New York City is razed you erupt in laughter, the few people who checked on the game smile with you, the other are perplex, they alt tab, they see their cities burned to the ground, they're angry, and during that time you kill them in UT and it's the best time of your life.

Unreal Tournament : The first one (simply called Tournament I think ?), or UT2003. It's the fast and brutal fps for people less skilled or with less patience that what would be needed to play Quake 3. It's easy to pick up, there are hundreds of maps and game modes, it's simply pure fun and adrenaline. I try to always play a few rounds of Tournament between every game, while people are having trouble with installations or connections issues.

Split/Second : If you have 4 or less people, the ultimate driving game for Lans. It's a simple and efficient racing game with one addition : boosting or splitstreaming or drifting increases a jauge that you can spend to destroy things in the scenery. It can be a simple explosion that sends your opponent flying in the sea, collapsing an airport on his face, or destroying a dam that changes the whole layout of the race. Pure fun.

Total Annihilation if you want an excellent RTS.

EDIT : And how could I have forgotten :

Swat 4 : The ultimate tactic shooter. It's an excellent game when playing solo. It's an excellent (other kind of) game when played coop. You need communication to synchronize your assaults, and it makes for some huge adrenaline spikes : you usually are calm and in control for 5 minutes, then your leader orders you to breach a door, and your heart is racing for 30 seconds while you clear the room, with smoke everywhere, your friends screaming all around you, the chorus of "Drop your weapons ! Get down on the floor" pinging in your ears. Excellent for 3-4 players lan parties.

Running With Rifles
    Last edited by AshEnke; 26-01-2016 at 05:23 PM.

Network Hub
    Soldat for old pcs that want to pew pew in MP

Oh my ! I am definitely greatful for the quick and complete answers, you guys are awesome !

That being said, I must warn you that first of all we are 3 persons and my spec isn't that great, in fact it is horrible. Then, except me, my two little bros have very few games in their steam library (yes we use steam) and since I'm the only one who'll pay for it I'd rather pay attention to my spendings.

Anyway, I don't think my little bros like RTS games as much as I do so I'll pass this one (I'll still try to recommend them Total : Annihilation). FPS games would be certainly the best choice since we want to have fun in short periods of time but thanks for recommending me Path of Exile unfortunately my computer can't handle it.
    So what's left ? Well the choice would probably be between borderlands 2, L4D2 and Tournament. I've already played BL2 on 360 and the first L4D but never tryied Tournament, so for me I'll choose this last one, now I'll have to negociate with my bros what they wanna play ^^ !

So again, thanks every one for your advices, it is much appreciated ! :)

-MighTy

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/tag/sven-co-op/

I'll assume you played gunz and you are hungry for actually good third person action online, well there isn't any:/ Give a look to Legions Overdrive but I don't think it supports lan. It's nothing serious anyway.
    Give a look to Crawl too but I make no promises of lan.
    Last edited by Wenz; 26-01-2016 at 09:45 PM.

Thank you Wenz, I'll surely give them a try ! :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Rainbow Six Vegas 2 if you want a brainless shooter, Rainbow Six 3 if you want one that requires planning. Vegas 2 is undoubtedly a shit game but at the same time there's something really fun about it, the almost audacious AI spawns in terrorist hunts and their ability to one-shot you even when their guns are pointed at the ground give you plenty of "DID YOU SEE THAT?!" moments that only get more amusing with alcohol. Rainbow Six 3 sometimes requires some actual planning, though, and is fun for different reasons.

Also yes, Borderlands - but only if you can guarantee no one will use the character outside of the group LAN. It's bloody annoying when you all start at the same point, one person plays a few hours more than the others and is then 15 levels ahead the next time. Make sure they reserve that character only for the LAN and start a new one for other occasions.

Network Hub
    Oh yes Vegas 2 is enormously fun in coop. I thought it was only 2-player coop though ? I could be wrong.

Rainbow six can do it as well as Borderlands 2, hopefully Rainbow six allow more than two players.

Forgot about serious sam 1 check if the HD version has lan (it should).You can have 16 players for a co op but in my experience it sucks, 3 is a far better number.

Network Hub
    Any Battlefield game before Battlefield 3 is great for a LAN party, but you really do need at least 12 people otherwise it feel really empty, even on the smallest map sizes.

Diablo 1 is always a great throwback game, especially since it has the spawn installs so you only need 1 copy of the disc, although fixed resolutions and 256 color palettes don't tend to play nice with modern hardware.

Quake 1-3 and DOOM 1&2 make for some good, fast, MP shootyfun.

Star Wars Jedi Knight 2 Jedi Outcast was awesome for its MP saber duels.

I second Soldat, it's fast, easy to pick up, and free. (Warning: the playerbase isn't what it used to be)

For other considerations:
    Monaco - A top down heist game.
    Brawhalla - A riff on Nintendo's Smash Brothers series. Free!
    Terraria - a 2D platformer/crafting game that is an absolute joy to play with friends.
    Lethal League - A fighting game in which the opponents hit an increasingly speedy ball at one another.
    Magicka - A quirky action RPG where you combo elements together to create spells. One of the most deliciously chaotic games I've ever played when everyone doesn't know what the combinations do. Sometimes you heal your mates, sometimes you accidentally cause a meteor to strike him.

Untried - These are a couple of games I've been eyeing to gather a group for but haven't had the chance to try yet.
    Hero Siege - A roguelike with fantastic reviews.
    Artemis Spaceship Bridge Simulator - Each player plays as operator of a specific terminal on the bridge of a spaceship. A ridiculous Russian accent is required if you land the engineering terminal.
    TrackMania Nations Forever - A free racing game with enough tracks to give you mania.
    Last edited by Titus Groan; 28-01-2016 at 01:45 PM.

Seems like people have covered most of the good coop games (if you can ever ditch one of the brothers, The Saints Row series is Co-op done right, only two players though). The only few things I can think of is Dying Light (but your rig was weak, so probably not) or the predecessors, Dead Island and Dead island Riptide. They contain zombies though, so depending on the age of your brothers, it might be a bad idea.

I guess there's MMOs in heaps, some even free, as three people, you got a good start for a group for instancing.

EDIT:

Gah, you say you're gonna play with your brothers and I don't think to recommend BROFORCE. It's literally made to play with your bros!
    Last edited by Qazinsky; 28-01-2016 at 05:22 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AshEnke View Post
    Oh yes Vegas 2 is enormously fun in coop. I thought it was only 2-player coop though ? I could be wrong.
    Campaign yes, but that's the wrong mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Qazinsky View Post
    EDIT:

Gah, you say you're gonna play with your brothers and I don't think to recommend BROFORCE. It's literally made to play with your bros!
    Well, everyone go home, I think we're done here.