Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire

Seems to have caused quite a storm on the Internets, mostly from Fallout fans.

I'm assuming they're mostly Fallout fans that (understandably, I suppose, given its a AAA title and PoE isn't) haven't played Pillars.

Surely, surely that's a fairly obvious Eder quote, talking about Eothas? That's even his sheaf of chewing corn. Cmon.
    Last edited by Bones; 20-01-2017 at 11:30 AM. Reason: formerly Project Louisiana.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yeah, I mean, it's a pretty obvious reference to Eder's relationship with Eothas, complete with the cynical mixed with good ol' boy tone eder has. And y'know, his pipe and bit of wheat. If it isn't, PoE2, that's a heck of a misdirection.
    I wrote a fantasy novel, called Lavender! Perhaps you'd like to read it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It's bizarre that anyone could not immediately see Eder in that.

They're pretty obviously teasing a PoE2 in which Eothas is back. And presumably pissed.

Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Yeah, I mean, it's a pretty obvious reference to Eder's relationship with Eothas, complete with the cynical mixed with good ol' boy tone eder has. And y'know, his pipe and bit of wheat. If it isn't, PoE2, that's a heck of a misdirection.
    Quote Originally Posted by LexW View Post
    It's bizarre that anyone could not immediately see Eder in that.

They're pretty obviously teasing a PoE2 in which Eothas is back. And presumably pissed.
    I'm with you both. I read about the Fallout hype before I saw the image and my brain immediately went to Eder. I don't understand how anyone who played PoE didn't immediately make that jump.

Fair enough if you haven't but then I still don't get how it could ever be a Fallout reference.

Lesser Hivemind Node LordShadoko's Avatar
    I've never played PoE and yet nothing more than PoE2 came to mind when seeing that.
    I think people are so desperate for something new and original from Fallout that they are ready to see announcements in anything. Also Obsidian is seen like some kind of messiah that could salvage the franchise (which I think they can't).

Plus, there isn't nearly enough obvious and forced 50s references in this.

To be honest, at the risk of slipping in to the territory of THAT other thread, the only original thing I think they can do with Fallout is let it go to sleep for another ten years and wake it back up if and when gaming has moved on enough to warrant it. They're flogging a dead horse now.
    I've been to a post-punk, postcard fair in me Joy Division oven gloves.

At this point I'm not even sure Obsidian would like to have something to do with Fallout again. They have their own working franchises, now.

Quote Originally Posted by LordShadoko View Post
    At this point I'm not even sure Obsidian would like to have something to do with Fallout again. They have their own working franchises, now.
    Probably true.

Network Hub
    Feargus have said several times that they would love to do more Fallout games, but Bethesdah aren't returning their calls, "but maybe if fans put enough pressure on them, *ahem*"....

I would rather see them do more original games though. Push the envelope.

Second image teaser. Looks and sounds rather Aloth, don't you think?
    https://twitter.com/Obsidian/status/822145350341304321

If they keep this up I expect an official reveal during the weekend, or next week at the latest.

Now it's becoming interesting.

And yes, as a side note, I don't think Obsidian can salvage Fallout, no matter what people say. Obsidian are good at one precise thing, and it's writing. They are exceedingly good at ti compared to others. Fair enough. But so far, I haven't been impressed by their ability to create worlds (except for Tyranny) nor their ability to make the gameplay stand out. And the world and gameplay are what is going to fall apart in Fallout.

I'm fine with Obsidian not doing Fallout. I mean, it would make them money so they could keep making games, but I don't think they're in danger of going out of business in today's market. If they ever wanted to do a Post-Apocalypse game, Fallout isn't all that unique as a setting.

Anyway, I'm interested in seeing what direction they take PoE2. I hope they don't tie themselves too closely to Baldur's Gate. I mean, I would expect something resembling the Infinity Engine-type games, but PoE was already basically an iterative sequel as far as gameplay goes. Crossing my fingers that they mix things up a bit.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Now it's becoming interesting.

And yes, as a side note, I don't think Obsidian can salvage Fallout, no matter what people say. Obsidian are good at one precise thing, and it's writing. They are exceedingly good at ti compared to others. Fair enough. But so far, I haven't been impressed by their ability to create worlds (except for Tyranny) nor their ability to make the gameplay stand out. And the world and gameplay are what is going to fall apart in Fallout.
    I dunno, I think with a little more exploration the PoE world could be fantastic. There's so many places I'd love to see that they've mentioned. Rauatai sounds great. The Valian republics sound great. Nasitaak sounds pretty great, y'know? It's just that they did the Safe Bioware play of 'set it in the bit of the map marked generic western fantasy y'know with the feuding dukes and green-but-not-too-green fields and a bit of mud' and though I feel the writing was enough that I still enjoyed it, and greatly, I feel a PoE2 that goes off to one of these new lands and really digs into that (I mean come on, how cool would pirates of the deadfire archipelago, or the scheming merchants of Valia be) is aiming at greatness.

Unfortunately hinting at Eder and Eothas means they might want to stick around the location of the first setting and I really hope not. I've seen it in so many games. Show me something new. Gods, I'm still mad at Bioware for bailing on Orlais.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Mhm. At this stage the first game lands were fully explored and there is not really much to tell anymore. Unless the land is only part of bigger map.

Therefore we can see less standard lands in poe2
    That what bg did anyway. amn was different than bg and tob allowed you to travel planes which was pretty wizard so I won't expect any less from the sequel to Pillars

Network Hub
    It's been heavily hinted the setting will be the Deadfire Archipelago and the Valian Republics. Hopefully a nautical theme, there was a concept art somewhere with Eder standing on a ship.

Makes me think that no one has ever made a good pirate and islands-themed RPG. (No, Risen, was bad. Yes. Even the first one).

I actually started PoE again last night in anticipation and Eder is also a pipe smoker, I forgot, so that's pretty nailed on then!

Quote Originally Posted by LarsWestergren View Post

Second image teaser. Looks and sounds rather Aloth, don't you think?
    https://twitter.com/Obsidian/status/822145350341304321

If they keep this up I expect an official reveal during the weekend, or next week at the latest.
    That's that confirmed then! Leaden Key pretty obvious!

Exciting times, should probably change the name of the thread!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Makes me think that no one has ever made a good pirate and islands-themed RPG. (No, Risen, was bad. Yes. Even the first one).
    Sid Mier's Pirates!? AssFlag? Haven't played either. My personal absolute favourite: Over the Blood Dark Sea, one of the Fabled Lands game books. Don't normally repost stuff I wrote in RPS comments but since it's relevant and I don't think anyone read it there:

Oh em gee, if they actually managed to pull off a shipboard adventure on the high seas it would be amazing. The book Over The Blood Dark Sea is still one of my favourite RPG experiences in any format, navigating a treacherous and mysterious sea, hopping from island to island, never sure of what you might find or when you might get becalmed, beached or blown off course. Sailors following siren calls into the deep. Pirates and island tribes and strange artifacts found in a locked chest on an isolated beach. All the busy ports, all the different cultures, all with that weirdly familiar pub/longhouse/straw hut where sailors sit around getting drunk.

From the Odyssey to Sunless Sea there is such a wealth of potential for seafaring adventure stories. And the mechanics of hopping between discrete locations, with possibilities for random encounters/diversions and a mobile, upgradeable base seem fantastically well suited to an RPG.

Unfortunately I expect it will be PoE with a parrot on it’s shoulder. : /

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizlar View Post
    Unfortunately I expect it will be PoE with a parrot on it’s shoulder. : /
    My hopes are much higher than that. They have a finished engine, toolchain, world etc, they could concentrate on fully content and didn't have to scramble to come up with stretch goals this time which spread their resources thin. I'm really excited about this.

Today's teaser image: Pallegina. A feather plus the 5 stars of the Valian Republics.
    https://twitter.com/Obsidian/status/822506229691981826

By the way, am I the only one who gets this annoying forum bug there you can't type any "space" chars when you are replying to posts, until you reload? Some misbehaving javascript eats it. Maybe I should turn on the Chrome debugger and find where it is....

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Pallegina always was a favourite of mine :) At the very least, it sounds like the gods aren't at all pleased with what's been going on down below and there's a bit of conflict brewing. I'm down with a plot that involves fighting the gods - even if the first teaser has implied they're not quite as blow-uppable as previously believed.

Network Hub
    Yeah I liked Pallegina. Wonder if they are going to use Durance and Grieving Mother in the teaser and in the game even though Avellone no longer works at Obsidian?

When they did polls about people's favorite companions, Kana Rua ended up dead last apparently which surprised me, I thought he was great. He was the highest damage dealer by far in my group, he is a big friendly guy with hidden depths, and the voice actor is just *fantastic*. He, Devil of Caroc, Durance and Grieving Mother were my favorite companions from PoE. Very memorable. Both well written and good voice acting.