Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Games which are more fun to watch than to play...

I know people have long had the 'other people watching you play' thing - my other half loves telling me what I'm doing wrong (and wonders why I play in another room most of the time!!) but...

I think me we now have a full-on class of games where gif/videos of people playing are probably WAY more popular than the game is

Some examples I'd suggest are

Besiege
    Polybridge
    GTA V? :)

In this age of the "Let's Play" or full-on live-streaming I realise this is a valid thing ofc but we need a game for this phenomenon perhaps?

If you like watching sports that could be an option but I'd fall asleep quick.

No, I mean, there are more options but a visual novel combining the best of comics and mangas which are whoa, anime tricks, best cinematography, decent writing hopefully not leading the whole thing by itself, text delivered in a 3 lines box like subtitles, yes I'd watch and play and maybe read this stuff. A deus ex with blade of the immortal takedowns;0 feck off adam and your qte disco hijinks you'r drunk
    Last edited by Wenz; 13-07-2016 at 01:33 PM.

I can understand enjoying watching someones time compressed antics in a systematic game with little promise of 'nonstop fun', I love watching Scott Manly play Kerbal.

But half of that fun is applying that new understanding in play. Duct taping together your own efforts and watching everything unravel.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Eight Rooks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    In this age of the "Let's Play" or full-on live-streaming I realise this is a valid thing ofc but we need a game for this phenomenon perhaps?

But we've already got one.

(Yes, I'm aware it was probably a typo. :P )
    Smashwords (free stories I wrote) | Steam | Tumblr (reviews, games crit etc.)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Does watching people stumble into traffic while playing Pokémon GO count?
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR
    The Red Blades, a Battle Brothers AAR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Basically every game where you must build some complex contraptions like Kerbal or Besieged.

I can't attest to this because, well, I haven't played it, but The Culling seems to be a good candidate due to the sheer ugliness of some textures and clunky combat. It can end up in some pretty humorous standoffs; I'd recommend watching some sessions by the NLSS crew (Northernlion, RockLeeSmile, BaerTaffy, Dan Gheesling, etc).
    Any and all trend games such as YouTuber's Life and I Am Bread, but only marginally more enjoyable to watch than play because they tend to revel in awfulness.

Most of the time I enjoy playing a game much more than watching it. There are a few exceptions:
    - If someone I know personally is playing, I like to see how they are doing.
    - I enjoy watching someone pull something off in a game that I'll never achieve, due to lack of skill, time or money (like no-healing runs of games, or boss runs with 1 HP in Dark Souls, or some of the huge things people build in Minecraft, or extensively modded flightsims that require dozens of paid addons).
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Throatwobbler Mangrove

Guild Wars 2 characters: Norgothus (Norn Necromancer), Maggrivo (Charr Warrior)

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    Never go full Wulf.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    GTA V and really all GTA games are a definite example. I mean, I had a holiday with most of my extended family and some friends a while back, in a big house, and the one thing that got the most people together consistently (outside of meals), was watching GTA V be played. Young, old, male, female, it seems to have a sort of universal appeal and whilst playing it is fun, most people seem like they'd rather watch.

I remember playing all the way through Vice City in front of two of my friends years ago, over a few days or weeks and they really didn't want to play much but they loved watching it. Whereas the excellent and forgotten strat-RPG Gladius provoked a lot more "NO DO THIS!" and people wishing they were in charge.

My wife also loved watching me play Mass Effect (esp. ME2) for some reason, but that may just be her.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    For me watching someone playing GTA would be frustrating as hell. I just like driving around in this game, looking at things, exploring etc. Watching is a direct opposite of it, with all your agency taken away.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by GameCat View Post
    For me watching someone playing GTA would be frustrating as hell. I just like driving around in this game, looking at things, exploring etc. Watching is a direct opposite of it, with all your agency taken away.
    But the hilarity, man, the hilarity? Do you not play GTA for... the lulz? Because holy shit, I sure do. The things that happen in that game are pretty bloody funny, and with other people around to laugh too, they're so much funnier - I've reduced a room of people to some of them literally lying on the floor, doubled-over with laughter, with stuff that happened, and if you aren't getting regular laughs, you aren't doing it right. Or are playing some particularly boring and po-faced story mission, which there are plenty of in all the modern GTA games, I admit.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Can't say that I'm a big fan of watching strangers play games. I do like talking about games I like so by extension I like watching people I know play games I like.

Heavy Rain was a fun game to watch with a group of friends and some booze.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by LexW View Post
    But the hilarity, man, the hilarity? Do you not play GTA for... the lulz? Because holy shit, I sure do. The things that happen in that game are pretty bloody funny, and with other people around to laugh too, they're so much funnier - I've reduced a room of people to some of them literally lying on the floor, doubled-over with laughter, with stuff that happened, and if you aren't getting regular laughs, you aren't doing it right. Or are playing some particularly boring and po-faced story mission, which there are plenty of in all the modern GTA games, I admit.
    >Someone likes a game for a different reason than I do D:

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    But the hilarity, man, the hilarity? Do you not play GTA for... the lulz?
    There are funny situations sometimes like paramedics hitting some pedestrians while they're driving to revive some people you killed etc. but I enjoy non-violent gameplay of GTA and simulation of the city more than just making random mayhem or playing story missions.

eSports are as fun to watch as watching football is to me, if I know and understand the eSport. Watching a match of League of Legends or DotA 2 is a legitimate source of entertainment for me, specially if I root for one of the playing teams, and unlike football, where I have zero skill and no ambition to foster any, seeing someone do something different and good increases my knowledge/repertoire of tricks in that game.

Well, when watching other people play, the game itself isn't of importance, i watch those videos for the people who play them. May sound strange but for example i just like listening to TotalBiscuit, no matter the game :)
    Same for simracing: If there's no commentary then it's not the least interesting for me, but i watch whole 30+ minutes races if there's someone commentating.

There are of course those ultra linear games that have so little actual gameplay that it really doesn't matter if you're playing yourself or if you're watching a recording of somebody else.

Video game footage is different than sports coverage - I am not able to play football on the level of top players, but i can launch FIFA and play as those top players. Sure, i will never beat Fatal1ty in Quake or Dendi in DoTA2 but i am actually able to perform the actions they perform in the same arenas they play in.

Mass effect my girlfriend has got saves just before all the cut scene, she loads them one after the other and watches the game like a movie

Devil Daggers, mentionned often on RPS, is way more fun to watch than to play. The world leading replays are very hypnotic, while playing it feels like a chore with the waves of skulls. Even worse is that the whole game is one single sequence, so it is very repetitive to try it over and over again.

You are wrong, bad and should feel badong.
    It's in the same league of immediacy and shallowness games like nudoom, left4dead, cod and vanquish are, with 3 fires which are good at everything and instead of having whole segments of nothing between the strategic playgrounds it has a single place for crowd control.
    It also aims for a tension these games can only dream of with hordes of enemies growing bigger, one hit one kills, pickups floating away from you, the map getting smaller as time goes on. Plus it has none of the stop-and-go gameplay (to aim, to recharge, to take cover, whatever else because of lethality and headshots - when it gets extreme do a shotgun jump to bail out) of the games I mentioned and runs on a couple of potatoes. Not bad for a rote thing
    Last edited by Wenz; 17-08-2016 at 09:27 AM.

I am not wrong nor should feel bad, we already had a diametrically opposed view on systems in FPS games in another thread. You and I are looking for complete opposites from that genre it seems like, but your taste does not make mine invalid.

If the fights were more entertaining than those swarms of skulls, and the enemies waves would be randomly generated, then I would not find it repetitive. As is, this is not a game that I enjoy playing and you can't make me feel differently about it.