Page 456 of 490 FirstFirst ... 356406446454455456457458466 ... LastLast
Results 9,101 to 9,120 of 9784
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    I would also recommend this IndieGala for the pittance that is $1.49. Hell I'm probably going to get this for myself just for Three Fourths Home. Only 11 hours left though! Also, note Reverse Crawl from the same guy who made the excellent Vertical Drop Heroes HD (found in the base tier as well), which I had on my follow list and forgotten completely about because the name is hardly memorable right?

https://www.indiegala.com/fusion
    Never realized Vertical Drop etc was a Nerdook game. I used to love his flash games, and liked what I played of VDHHD. So that's a sale for the top tier just for Reverse Crawl. I'll end up with spares for Splice, VHHHD, Paranautical Activity and possibly others :/

BTW, when the revolution comes, whoever set up the authentication for Indiegala will be first against the wall. Multiple captchas? Vague photos of streetnames? Locked out of account? Bah.

are Blackguard or Blackguard 2 any good?

"Bundles! Fresh Bundles! Caught today!"

BundleStars Strategy Heroes 2:

$1.99: Jagged Alliance - Back in Action, Worms, Planetary Annihilation, Ghost Master, Disciples Sacred Lands Gold, Prophour23, War of the Human Tanks, Z
    $3.98: Prime World: Defenders, Heroes of Annihilated Empires, Knights and Merchants, Runespell: Overture, Eador: Genesis, HOARD Complete Pack, Puzzle Kingdoms, Frozen Synapse Prime

https://www.bundlestars.com/en/bundl...eroes-2-bundle

IndieGala Friday Special 28:

$1+: Goodnight Butcher, Cubicle Quest, Miner Mayhem
    T2: Energy Cycle, NotGTAV, Bloodsports.TV, Lead and Gold: Gangs of the Wild West, Kick Ass Commandos, Muffin Knight, KRUM - Edge Of Darkness, I, Gladiator, Eternity's Child

$2.49 for the first 24h.

https://www.indiegala.com/friday

February Cubic:

$1: Chainsaw Warrior, R.O.O.T.S, Tisnart Tiles, Chronicles of a Dark Lord: Episode II War of The Abyss
    $1.99: Adventurer Manager, Rush for Glory, Hamlet, Deep Eclipse: New Space Odyssey

https://cubicbundle.com/

Build a Greenlight Bundle 39: Atriage, Totem Troubles, Amaranthine, Varenje, CounterAttack, DAMAGE CONTROL, Spectrubes, Cubic complex
    Bonus: Land it Rocket, and one more.

2 games, $1 min, $3 for the lot.

https://groupees.com/bagb39

BeMine Anniversary 3 now available for preorder: 8 games, $2.5. 21h on the clock.

https://groupees.com/bma3

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    are Blackguard or Blackguard 2 any good?
    Everything I've read about the games, seemed to indicate they're decidedly mediocre, and TBS games are not exactly in short supply; interestingly, they're a case of Steam reviews producing scores inferior to their metacritic counterparts (FWIW I usually notice the opposite), which could be indicative of technical problems, but the reviews are really too wordy for me to delve into them. The sequel has improved scores in both departments and yet the most helpful negative reviews suggest this is not the case.
    Last edited by alms; 12-02-2016 at 09:56 PM.
    The Onward March of Bundles - filling your backlog since 1911. For a list of active deals, and more, click here.
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

So let's go back and sift through yesterday's and today's new bundles?

BundleStars Indie Heroes 2 has a lot in it and also good games.

https://www.bundlestars.com/en/bundl...eroes-2-bundle
    2cu: The Silent Age, Velocibox, Super Motherload, Heroes of Legionwood, QbQbQb, Retro/Grade, Megabyte Punch, TransPlan
    4cu: Kingdom Rush, Secrets of Raetikon, Pixel Piracy, PixelJunk Monsters Ultimate, PixelJunk Shooter, Velocity Ultra, Qora, GAUGE

I can personally recommend SciFi time traveling adventure set in 70s The Silent Age, Retro/Grade a game that put a smile on my face, and the beautiful Secrets of Raetikon, but really all the games on offer have consistently high ratings, and cover a wide spread of genres. On the downside not a single one is new to bundles, some a lot more than others, so it's mainly a matter of what strikes your fancy VS what you already own. I'd apply more or less the same remark to today's Strategy Heroes only with less enthusiasm about the line-up.

Build a Greenlight Bundle 39: Atriage, Totem Troubles, Amaranthine, Varenje, CounterAttack, DAMAGE CONTROL, Spectrubes, Cubic complex
    Bonus: Land it Rocket, and one more.

2 games, $1 min, $3 for the lot.

https://groupees.com/bagb39
    This one comes with not just one but two sh'mups: Amaranthine an endless affair with crispy pixelated art and chiptunes (TIGSource devlog) and Counterattack, which instead goes for a more modern look and has a rather extensive collection of bullet points, suggesting it may be closer to completion. Russian-made Varenje is very reminiscent of The Tiny Bang Story as far as gameplay and gorgeous art go, down to the use of pictograms in stead of dialog, though I'm not sure why the trailers feature a Monkey homage tune, take a looksie. Damage Control looks like someone took the disaster management part out of FTL and tried to redistill it as a platformer, losing the pause button in the process. A SF-themed TBS, Atriage, rhythm-based? fighting game Totem Troubles, Marble Madness lookalike Cubic Complex and puzzler Spectrubes complete the line-up. The first bonus game, Land It Rocket, oddly reminds me of Nimbus ...with an engine.

BeMine Anniversary 3 now available for preorder: 8 games, $2.5. 21h on the clock.

A series of puzzles has been set up to give hints, and apparently nobody has solved it yet. From the background image, the following guesses have been suggested: Zanzarah: The Hidden Portal and Shadow Blade: Reload seem close enough to me, and one game from Greenlight Major Contract, somehow I find that less convincing. If Zanzarah is in there, then it'll be by far the best price for the game thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by Jurple View Post
    BTW, when the revolution comes, whoever set up the authentication for Indiegala will be first against the wall. Multiple captchas? Vague photos of streetnames? Locked out of account? Bah.
    Last time I bought from them they had the same CAPTCHA as Humble. Whatever happened, their support is widely reported as very responsive.
    The Onward March of Bundles - filling your backlog since 1911. For a list of active deals, and more, click here.
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

Activated Node

A series of puzzles has been set up to give hints, and apparently nobody has solved it yet. From the background image, the following guesses have been suggested: Zanzarah: The Hidden Portal and Shadow Blade: Reload seem close enough to me, and one game from Greenlight Major Contract, somehow I find that less convincing. If Zanzarah is in there, then it'll be by far the best price for the game thus far.
    The game from that screenshot on the page you linked to is The Room, though I'm not sure if that's the "background image" you're talking about.

A third game from BMA3 has seemingly been identified: it's The Hive.

New Steam keys are available for: Fractal Space and Worlds of Chaos: Corruption on Groupees. DROD RPG: Tendry's Tale and DROD: Gunthro and the Epic Blunder on IGS.

WinGameStore is offering a Kalypso Build a Bundle, the selection isn't terribly compelling, with several games that have been bundled before and/or on sale at far better prices:

• Airline Tycoon 2: Gold
    • Alien Spidy
    • Anna - Extended Edition
    • Crookz - The Big Heist
    • Dungeons 2
    • Dungeons Gold
    • Grand Ages: Medieval
    • Jagged Alliance - Back in Action
    • Omerta - City of Gangsters - GOLD EDITION
    • Patrician IV Gold
    • Pole Position 2012
    • Racing Manager 2014
    • Tropico 4 Collector's Bundle
    • Tropico 5

http://www.wingamestore.com/build-a-bundle/5220/

Quote Originally Posted by Dare_Wreck View Post
    The game from that screenshot on the page you linked to is The Room, though I'm not sure if that's the "background image" you're talking about.
    The first three puzzles have already been solved, but there's at least a fourth which stands in the way. Groupees feature clues in the form of doodles in the background of the bundle page.

You can view the current clues by going there, or using this direct link (word of warning, last time I did this, the link died after not long)

Lesser Hivemind Node
    New Steam keys are available for: Fractal Space and Worlds of Chaos: Corruption on Groupees. DROD RPG: Tendry's Tale and DROD: Gunthro and the Epic Blunder on IGS.
    Weird. I was able to activate both Tendry's and Gunthro's, but Gunthro does not actually show up in my collection. Or in the store, even.

Last time I bought from them they had the same CAPTCHA as Humble. Whatever happened, their support is widely reported as very responsive.
    Sorted now, but I had some trouble getting past the captchas. Whew.

Also, a new IGS deal: Megatect Alpha 'Mario Maker meets Quake 3'. BTA for Attack of the Labyrinth.

Be Mine Anniversary 3 is live and the guesses were all spot on:

$1+: Vektor Wars, Shadow Blade: Reload, Kunoi
    $4+: The Hive, Tempest, Zanzarah: The Hidden Portal, Corrosion: Cold Winter Waiting - Enhanced, Major Contract

Second bonus is The Cloud Dungeon, a "a DIY Adventure Game with paper craft, coloring, co-op and competitive mini games, and difficult decisions with permanent (often hilarious) consequence"

Marsh seemed pretty positive about pirate simulator made by the one guy Tempest. Having known in advance it was featured I might have got this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jurple View Post
    Also, a new IGS deal: Megatect Alpha 'Mario Maker meets Quake 3'. BTA for Attack of the Labyrinth.
    Well, that's a good line.

https://www.indiegamestand.com/deal

Secondary Hivemind Nexus

$4+: The Hive, Tempest, Zanzarah: The Hidden Portal, Corrosion: Cold Winter Waiting - Enhanced, Major Contract

Second bonus is The Cloud Dungeon, a "a DIY Adventure Game with paper craft, coloring, co-op and competitive mini games, and difficult decisions with permanent (often hilarious) consequence"

Marsh seemed pretty positive about pirate simulator made by the one guy Tempest. Having known in advance it was featured I might have got this one.

I am quite glad I went in for the pre order now. I had had my eye on The Hive so once that was revealed I went for it, Tempest is a nice bonus.

Still do not understand early access games going in for bundles that are basically more than 75% off. The Hive is €20 and Tempest is €12 and they are in a $4 tier. I know that it is a competitive market and they are need players but surely it can't be a viable business model. On the other hand Tempest is 1 guy so the money from a bundle could go a long way but still it has to hurt overall.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
    Still do not understand early access games going in for bundles that are basically more than 75% off. The Hive is €20 and Tempest is €12 and they are in a $4 tier. I know that it is a competitive market and they are need players but surely it can't be a viable business model. On the other hand Tempest is 1 guy so the money from a bundle could go a long way but still it has to hurt overall.
    Before, people bundled and even gave away their games just to get them onto Steam, figuring that being on Steam was the only way to really have a chance to sell their title to a sizable audience.

I'd guess some of that same issue is present today even with having your game listed on Steam. It is still difficult to get a large audience to even consider looking at your game. Many don't pay attention to Early Access titles, and even those that do can be too cautious to pay much for an unfinished title by an unknown developer. You can't even rely on Steam sales to draw attention these days, because everyone else goes on sale as well. So you still resort to bundling your game for a significantly lower take. Sure, you risk costing yourself some future sales, but you presumably need money now (which is why you are in Early Access in the first place) and most people who buy your game in a bundle probably weren't going to buy your game directly through Steam anyway... And hopefully you will at least draw some more attention to your title.

Which would you rather do?
    1) Not be in the bundle. You sell your game to three people that month at full price.
    2) Be in a bundle. 4000 copies sell, and you get 30 cents per copy. Of those 4000 buyers, 3997 wouldn't have bought your game at full price on Steam. Of the three that would, two didn't know your game existed (and thus still wouldn't have bought it) and one had yet to buy it despite knowing it existed (and thus might never have gotten around to buying it anyway.) Also, you still sell three full price copies to people, because they didn't know the bundle existed.
    Last edited by Baines; 14-02-2016 at 12:41 AM.

This one is a winner here, Hive looks to have a taste of expanding a home Dungeon Keeper, if little of the charm.

If any of the others are worth a damn its a bonus.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
    I had had my eye on The Hive so once that was revealed I went for it, Tempest is a nice bonus.
    Tell me something about The Hive?

Quote Originally Posted by Baines View Post
    Before, people bundled and even gave away their games just to get them onto Steam, figuring that being on Steam was the only way to really have a chance to sell their title to a sizable audience.

I'd guess some of that same issue is present today even with having your game listed on Steam. It is still difficult to get a large audience to even consider looking at your game.
    You could say up to a point getting on Steam meant either hitting the jackpot (or making more money than you would hardly ever be able to make otherwise), or anyway making enough money to keep making games more or less comfortably - being on Steam equated to being visible, to an extent.

Since Valve lowered barriers to entry progressively and significantly, the problem has gone back to attracting attention and the odds are now stacked against the small players.

Valve's focus on the Queue during last Winter sale seems to be communicating a focus on quality, or player satisfaction at least, rather than supporting the classic large VS small.

I wonder whether we're basically witnessing end of the indie wave proper in favor of the full establishing of the new generation of "indie publishers": not too small, not too big, with the right connections, a reputation for good games and doing the right thing for devs and customers alike. Firms like Devolver, maybe Paradox?, but smaller ones like Wadjet Eye too.
    Last edited by alms; 14-02-2016 at 02:42 AM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I don't know about that. Steam recommended Grass Simulator to me tonight, despite universal extremely negative reviews on Steam.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarfrin View Post
    I don't know about that. Steam recommended Grass Simulator to me tonight, despite universal extremely negative reviews on Steam.
    What was the reason, BTW?

No tool is ever perfect, however, I think it matters that Valve would rather have you buy what they think you might like, rather than simply let the marketing departments hype players up and fight over who has the biggest budget. That would be basically the simplest solution to the "bandwidth" approach, no?

Regarding the wretched sign/food captchas, I find switching to the audible captcha can get me past them. I can never solve the sign captchas, or the food captchas in under three tries and I'm pretty sure it's just luck when I do. They are incredibly broken. I can tell what a waffle and a road sign are; they are quite simply incorrect.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    What was the reason, BTW?

No tool is ever perfect, however, I think it matters that Valve would rather have you buy what they think you might like, rather than simply let the marketing departments hype players up and fight over who has the biggest budget. That would be basically the simplest solution to the "bandwidth" approach, no?
    I didn't notice, but it doesn't tally with a focus on quality or player satisfaction as it seems to be an incredibly lazy unity asset flip panned by everyone who's played it. I do agree that Valve's approach is better than just shoving popular titles in front of your face though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Tell me something about The Hive?
    The Hive is a single player RTS about leading an instectoid army on an alien underworld. Its a story driven game, there are meant to be skirmish maps too but the main thrust is a story with puzzles.

It looks good, the trailers are interesting and it has good reviews. I was waiting to see how updates come a long and they seem to be big updates coming every few months which is good to see.

I agree with you Baines, better to be in a bundle and get a few thousand more eyes on your game. I think my confusion is more to do with the discount bundles bring, and how as a dev you can account for that. Maybe their prices on Steam are inflated.

From The Hive on steam
    We are pricing the Early Access version of the game at $19.99 USD, to reflect the unfinished, work-in-progress state of the game. Early Access version will be cheaper than the full game. This is our way to reward the people, that want to help us early on.
    A game being cheap in Early Access is a good incentive to try it but $19.99 is not cheap for a game. Its basically average price. Yes there are more expensive games but mainly AAA games. For indies $19.99 is the top end of their go to range usually. I find it weird if you are pitching $19.99 as a cheap option of your game and then discount by for 80%. 80% is a massive discount.

I do feel for indie devs, especially the likes of Tempest and The Hive that make interesting looking games and seem quite competent but get no coverage, while there are some chancers and crap that gets huge amount of coverage because "Oh Early Access is crap look at how awful this is"

About the discovery queue, sometimes they will put up a game "Just to see if you like it"

Horror First Person Keep the Lights Going Sophie's Curse is the next BaGB39 unlock, it's already greenlit.

Steam keys are now available for Pirates Deck and Huenison (DIG) and CortexGear: AngryDroids (dropped itch.io in favor of Groupees).

Sifting through the BundleStars bundle page, I've noticed there's a bunch of stuff that is still unlisted in the main posts as it's nearly impossible for me to keep track of all the activity there. Among the others, Sims Mega has come back from the dead for a while, for 2 cu. It's technically a joke bundle to me, but the tongue-in-cheek coverage of Woodcutter Simulator is worth checking.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarfrin View Post
    I didn't notice, but it doesn't tally with a focus on quality or player satisfaction as it seems to be an incredibly lazy unity asset flip panned by everyone who's played it. I do agree that Valve's approach is better than just shoving popular titles in front of your face though.
    Popularity is one of the possible reasons for the Queue though, and that seems logical as something being popular on Steam doesn't translate directly to real popular.

Maybe Grass Simulator being so bad makes it popular as a prank gift ? Some joke games even come complete with completely unrealistic positive scores; their forefather(?), Bad Rats, is 74% positive.
    Last edited by alms; 15-02-2016 at 01:03 AM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Maybe Grass Simulator being so bad makes it popular as a prank gift ? Some joke games even come complete with completely unrealistic positive scores; their forefather(?), Bad Rats, is 74% positive.
    I think you're right, but this one is much worse than Bad Rats. About 50% positive. Lots of the negative reviews are "Someone bought this as a prank gift and it's too bad to even be funny." I urge anyone reading this to go and watch the trailer. It has to be seen (and heard) to be believed.