Page 627 of 627 FirstFirst ... 127527577617625626627
Results 12,521 to 12,532 of 12532
    I loved the first Stealth Bastard, the first time you play a level it's a puzzle, the second it's a dance, great character (if it didn't invent the snarky, writings on the walls, narrator, it's probably popularized it), great mechanics and level design, supported by a meaty synth track. The sequel (renamed to the bland Stealth Inc., thanks to the goody two shoes, I mean, family friendly street-smarts MBA console industrialists at Nintendo) I had to shelve because of technical issues, that used to be rather widespread, resulting in the game not working smoothly at the panel's native resolution (it's still playable at the minimum supported resolution, which should be 800x600, but it's kind of frustrating also because the game transitioned from pixel-art to a more painterly looking art-style). On Steam it has a decidedly lower rating than the first (76% VS 89%), so I'm guessing those problems were never given a satisfactory solution, which is a shame.

Also by Brit devs turned publishers Curve, I have Explodemon, and it may take the crown for the game I've got in a bundle and not played for the longest. IIRC that one I've got from the Little Big Bundle by GetGoGames (are they still in business?) It was the subject of some speculation, having being released around the same time as 'Splosion Man (?), a little latter possibly, some argued it was a rip-off when in truth the game devs admitted to not knowing about each other.

Puddle's fluid simulation is interesting, as a puzzle I got bored of it rather quickly though.

The Blue Flamingo is reportedly not all that great as a shooter, but it's got killer style, it's by Might and Delight, them of the Shelter games and Pid. There's a few others that look worth a second look, though, these are just the ones I'm more familiar with.

A left-over from before the week-end - I seem to recall people here liked Perimeter? the rest of the bundle doesn't look like anything to write home about.

DIG Super Bundle 100 - until 19/05/2017
    http://dailyindiegame.com/superbundle_100.html

• $1.49 or beat the average (currently $1.53) for an extra copy.
    • BorderZone
    • Freight Tycoon Inc.
    • Off-Road Drive
    • Parkan 2
    • Perimeter
    • Real Warfare 1242
    Last edited by alms; 22-04-2017 at 11:53 PM.
    The Onward March of Bundles - For an overview of bundle deals, and more, click here. The new Humble Monthly May comes with Grizzly's-paw-of-approval Dirt Rally, Playdead's of LIMBO's fame INSIDE, and more fab indie games. If you like what I'm doing, and are a new subscriber, please consider using this link, throw some monies at me, at no cost or inconvenience to you. Thanks! Me on Steam and HowLongToBeat.

"I'm too big of a hothead, I've got a history, I've got implants...take your pick."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    I seem to recall people here liked Perimeter?
    You probably are thinking of me. I admired how bat shit crazy it was, both narratively and systematically, but it is rather terrible too. Waves of enemies that spawn on timers, AI that both cheats and doesn't understand the core of the game, a camera eternally trapped a neck craning 50 degrees from the ground, bizarrely illogical unit relationships, simultaneously too much personality (like bad stand up) and not enough personality (like a news reader) with its units without barks and five minute long narrated interludes between missions which are complete word spaghetti. It's also brilliant and startling in it's design, mostly redundant too because of Perimeter being usurped by Creeper World, after making the series peak Perimeter: Emperor's Testament they went on to make the sequel to Perimeter and the spiritual sequel Maelstrom and tried to push terrible fluid mechanics (perhaps stealing back from Creeper World?) and were wantonly terrible games.

To complete the circle of tragic strategy game design life after making 3 increasingly brilliant Creeper World games the Creeper World devs Knuckle Cracker went on to develop the systematically terrible game Particle Fleet which obstencibly uses simular mechanics but untethers them from either creativity or rational resource management depending on which way a setting is flipped and results in a game trapped between two posts with only terrible options.

Partical Fleet doesn't even have a Wikipedia page... Even Bad Rats has a Wikipedia page.
    I am once again writing a blog, vaguely about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus GameCat's Avatar
    It's better to be terribly bad than slip into medicore obscurity.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    The Blue Flamingo is reportedly not all that great as a shooter, but it's got killer style, it's by Might and Delight, them of the Shelter games and Pid. There's a few others that look worth a second look, though, these are just the ones I'm more familiar with.
    I love the art style of The Blue Flamingo, but the excellence of its art is inversely proportional to how fun the game is. It's incredibly, drearily basic. I never went back after playing it for about 5 minutes.

I can only speculate that the amount of effort that must have gone into making its handcrafted models had to have taken away from the time that should have been spent on developing the actual gameplay. I found it just plain boring - you're stuck with the same basic gun the entire game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Someone sell me for/against Dirt Rally (trying to decide whether to pause my monthly subscription). Context: I only have a controller, will not be picking up a wheel at any point in the forseeable future. Have historically enjoyed light rally games (Sega Rally was a particular favorite back in the day). Also played and enjoyed one of the early WRC titles. Historically I've been very hot/cold with racing sims - I often find them frustrating and mostly enjoy racing games as a visceral speed/reflex thing rather than a simmy experience. I have little to no interest in vehicle tuning.

Dirt Rally is tiring. It's about wrestling something on the very edge of it's capacity, it has vehicles from every era of Rally driving if you have any nostalgia at all.

I only play on the pad, specifically I stick to the most volatile cars and in the worst conditions, so I might have accidentally engineered a situation where the violence of the control mechanism is the best tool.

I'll be damned if the reviews on ORCS aren't manipulated. Running Dead also looks suspicious, could be one of those devs that gave away Steam gifts to fool Valve, maybe? Toast Time is very cute, though.

IndieGala Monday Motivation 21 - until 08/05/2017
    https://www.indiegala.com/monday

• Tier 1, $1.0 minimum:
      • Trianguluv
      • ORCS
      • Unalive

• Tier 2, $2.99 for the first 24h:
      • City Siege: Faction Island
      • Cards of Chaos
      • RunningDead
      • Vecitas
      • Toast Time
      • Brave Furries
      • Z-Exemplar
      • Tiles

BundleStars Dollar Forever - until 22/05/2017
    https://www.bundlestars.com/en/bundl...forever-bundle

• 1 cu.
    • The Dweller
    • Surfingers
    • BlackSmith HIT
    • Fly O'Clock
    • Timberman
    • Risky Rescue
    • Roll'd
    • Cat on a Diet
    • Frederic: Resurrection of Music
    • Frederic: Evil Strikes Back
    • Frederic: Resurrection of Music Director's Cut
    • Teddy Floppy Ear - Mountain Adventure
    • Teddy Floppy Ear - Kayaking
    • Teddy Floppy Ear - The Race
    • Sinless + OST
    • Millie
    • 8infinity
    • Sparkle 2 Evo
    • Sparkle 3 Genesis
    • Sparkle ZERO
    • Shut Eye
    • The Mahjong Huntress
    • The Final Take
    • The Dolls: Reborn
    • 16bit Trader
    • Iesabel
    The Onward March of Bundles - For an overview of bundle deals, and more, click here. The new Humble Monthly May comes with Grizzly's-paw-of-approval Dirt Rally, Playdead's of LIMBO's fame INSIDE, and more fab indie games. If you like what I'm doing, and are a new subscriber, please consider using this link, throw some monies at me, at no cost or inconvenience to you. Thanks! Me on Steam and HowLongToBeat.

"I'm too big of a hothead, I've got a history, I've got implants...take your pick."

Toast Time is legit.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Toast Time is legit.
    Also available for free over in the Kindness Club thread.

Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    Someone sell me for/against Dirt Rally (trying to decide whether to pause my monthly subscription). Context: I only have a controller, will not be picking up a wheel at any point in the forseeable future. Have historically enjoyed light rally games (Sega Rally was a particular favorite back in the day). Also played and enjoyed one of the early WRC titles. Historically I've been very hot/cold with racing sims - I often find them frustrating and mostly enjoy racing games as a visceral speed/reflex thing rather than a simmy experience. I have little to no interest in vehicle tuning.
    Dirt Rally is significantly more realistic then it's predeccesors, in no small part because the producer of Dirt Rally (who is also your co driver in the game) did some real rallying after helping to make Dirt 3 and found out that they were misrepresenting the sport. In that sense, it's actually quite a lot like the WRC titles. It features real life stages, which are the kind of tight and somewhat treacherous roads that require a speed/reflex approach. That alone makes it worthwhile in my opinion.

On the other hand it doesn't try super hard to be a sim. Yes, you can tune your vehicle and you have a lot of options there, but it's not at all neccesary: The default setups are good (I personally run only a few adjustments, mainly in gearing which is a matter of preference anyway), and the game offers sharing car setups via the steam workshop. It's very much a pad game: Although wheel support is the best it has ever been in a codemasters game, it's still a codemasters game: It relies on mass market appeal, and it was a pad game before it was a wheel game. There's also plenty of traction control, abs, and other assists available and although your car can and will pick up damage, it's actually really difficult to get a race ending crash unless you drive yourself off a cliff (it is actually more forgiving then either GRID or Dirt!). it has a career mode that starts off very easy and then progressively becomes more difficult. It's a game that doesn't realy mind you not coming first: If you finish in the top three of the championship it bumps you up a level, if you finish bottom three it bumps you down a level.

I'd recommend it. I've bought Dirt Rally in Early Acces where it quickly became my favorite racing game, and the buzz on these forums has been very positive (also from people who normally aren't into this sort of thing). It does have some flaws: The handcrafted content is beautifull and true to life but there isn't all that much of it, but that is not a big problem for a 12 dollar game.

It also allows you to finally settle that question whether or not everything was better in the 80s.

Thanks for chiming in. Personally I didn't like any of the DiRT title I've tried on a pad, and I'm likely skipping it, but as you say, the buzz here has certainly been very positive.

Still, the package at this price it's undeniably very, very tempting. All it would take for me is a couple of solid names among the reveals to tip the scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Dirt Rally is tiring. It's about wrestling something on the very edge of it's capacity, it has vehicles from every era of Rally driving if you have any nostalgia at all.

I only play on the pad, specifically I stick to the most volatile cars and in the worst conditions, so I might have accidentally engineered a situation where the violence of the control mechanism is the best tool.
    I agree with the 'tiring' descriptor- I'm currently learning my way up from 60s cars to 70s cars, which is keeping me in the Opens for another season, and.. While I find my learning curve rewarding, I wouldn't say that I find playing relaxing- it's verymuch strenuous. Maybe if I turned the HUD on it might reduce that a little, but the core of it is the game is a lot more 'wrestling against physics and knowing how to win under various conditions' than any racing game I've ever played.
    Steam: Dilapinated