Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus

PlayStation Now comes to PC; play (remotely) PS3 games; Dualshock wireless adapter

PlayStation Now is a streaming service where you can remotely play PS3 games. Early on before the PS4 was released, it was pretty poor. Nowadays it is actually pretty robust and works surprisingly well when I tried it again a few months back.

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2016...eless-adaptor/

7-Day free Trial
    $19.99/12.99 per month
    (NA does have a $44.99 3 month option).

$24.99 (N/A ) for the wireless adapter. Which might not be necessarily better than a cheaper Bluetooth adapter that a Dualshock 4 works with already.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EPICTHEFAIL's Avatar
    Goodness' sake man, make a snarky comment in the title or something, I nearly hit the report button on instinct.

Ahem. Yeah, so you can now play console games even blurrier than usual. I kid, I kid, that's actually pretty cool. Wonder if they're going to have some PS2 stuff on there as well? Maybe even something from the Pisspoor, perhaps. And I'm not just saying that because I really want to play Bloodborne but don't want to buy a console for just one game.

Bayonetta+100ms ping? No ta mate, you'd be better with a second hand PS3.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Bayonetta+100ms ping? No ta mate, you'd be better with a second hand PS3.
    You are better off not playing Bayonetta on the PS3 to begin with, as it was one of many to suffer from CELL development.

Wii U version is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    You are better off not playing Bayonetta on the PS3 to begin with, as it was one of many to suffer from CELL development.

Wii U version is great.
    wtf:/1111111111

I am sure that the WiiU version is fine, but that is a box that will not be coming into my house. The PS3 version does clearly fall from it's obvious artistic intent and sure, fixing that would be great.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    And on Wii U you get two Bayonetta games in price of one.

Seems like it will be only for last gen (PS3, maybe PS2), no PS4 games on PC for you.

This was bad plan when it was called OnLive.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It would be interesting to see if Microsoft would be able to push licensing of 360 backwards compatibility on the One to PC. Or if its even worth their time (and money). I bet a ton of Red Dead Redemption would sell.

Now has existed for 4 years and they keep adding games. Price and the ability to not just own the license (vs rent) I think keep many from buying into it.

When playing Elite solo I have to wait 5 to 30+ seconds for the mission board to load and they want to tell me it's possible to play entire games in streaming? Is it a joke or what?
    "I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
    "People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Det. Bullock View Post
    When playing Elite solo I have to wait 5 to 30+ seconds for the mission board to load and they want to tell me it's possible to play entire games in streaming? Is it a joke or what?
    Well, it's a bit like those telephone game shows we had over here in the early 2000s. You send inputs, a big server over there runs the game "properly" and effectively sends a zero-delay livestream back. So it is possible, I suppose, but then again it is also possible to circumnavigate the world in a Trabant. Doesn't mean you should though.

Quote Originally Posted by EPICTHEFAIL View Post
    Well, it's a bit like those telephone game shows we had over here in the early 2000s. You send inputs, a big server over there runs the game "properly" and effectively sends a zero-delay livestream back. So it is possible, I suppose, but then again it is also possible to circumnavigate the world in a Trabant. Doesn't mean you should though.
    It's still a relatively limited set of binary numbers like the mission board, only while using the mission board I don't usually get shot, with my connectio probably half the inputs would be either delayed or lost, and this not accounting the bandwidth taken by video and audio, I often have problems streming youtube videos as well.
    "I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
    "People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Meh... a bit on the expensive side IMO. It won't be available everywhere either, but only in select states. Curiously in mostly those countries where OnLive started out.
    Last edited by DanMan; 24-08-2016 at 07:41 AM.
    Resident graphics snob.

And remember: Bad practices often become a trend, if not dealt with promptly.

Lesser Hivemind Node Stellar Duck's Avatar
    It's still a relatively limited set of binary numbers like the mission board, only while using the mission board I don't usually get shot, with my connectio probably half the inputs would be either delayed or lost, and this not accounting the bandwidth taken by video and audio, I often have problems streming youtube videos as well.
    Have you considered that Elite may just be really badly made?

Thing is, I work with PlayStations for a living and PS Now is pretty decent, even if not widely used. I do see more and more of it though, however slow the uptake is.
    Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory since 1982.

Quote Originally Posted by Stellar Duck View Post
    Kind of. The mission screen involves roughly eighty billion different servers that all have to do Stuff for the missions to generate properly, so it takes a while even at the best of times. The worst offender is the transaction server, which is about as reliable as Star Citizen's release schedule.

Anyway, like I said, the streaming shouldn't be that laggy, in theory. It won't be as smooth as playing with a proper local system and it might end up looking like shite (compression artefacts), but you should be fine as long as you aren't playing something that involves lots of twitch-aiming (unlikely, console shooters as slow as molasses for a reason) or frame-timing (so, no Platinum stuff or fighting games).

Quote Originally Posted by Stellar Duck View Post
    Then every multiplayer game I've ever played is, the point is that people who live outside big cities and are stuck with whatever crappy internet they have are cut off from the fancy streaming services.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    It's a different situation. Elite is sending all sorts of game data back and forth, while the game itself is doing all sorts of stuff.

Game streaming is pretty much you sending controller inputs to the server, and the server sending video footage back to you. You'll get some lag depending on the connection, but the net lag shouldn't be anything like your Elite example. (Of course you'll still face whatever loading a game does naturally.)

You can probably play action games okay through net streaming. From what I recall of reviews of services like OnLive years past, the added net lag is really only a serious issue with (as you'd expect) the more timing sensitive games, the ones that routinely depend on a person being able to react within a limited number of frames. (So you wouldn't be playing any high level fighting game matches, while a turn-based RPG wouldn't have issues at all.)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Spacewalk's Avatar
    If you put your games in a stream they're just going to get wet.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    TBH, I might just buy it for a month and binge all the games I missed out on. Beats buying a used PS3 and games. I don't see me subscribing to it for longer though.
    Resident graphics snob.

And remember: Bad practices often become a trend, if not dealt with promptly.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus zanchito's Avatar
    Would a wired Thrustmaster PC controller with the same layout as a branded PS3 controller work?
    Steam: Zanchito || Guild Wars 2: Gatonegro || The Secret World: Mescalitoh || Elite Dangerous: CMDR Zanchito