Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Obscure Node

Feeling disillusioned with PC gaming.

Lately I've been feeling more and more disillusioned with PC gaming, I've recently built a high end 4k gaming PC but I feel rather than enjoying pc games and finding new experiences, I've been trying to capture the enjoyment of past experiences and so far it's been a disappointment. No game has yet to give me a wow moment or offer me something completely new and unexpected, I've been going through games that are three plus year's old, the usual triple A titles but I feel like something is missing in terms of gameplay design and storytelling.

Sorry for the negative thread but I currently feel unsure of what has been my lifetime hobby.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    PC gamings best games mostly didn't "just all come out" , don't worry too much about everything being triple A glossy at 4K.

Heck, even some brand new must play titles won't take advantage of the latest technology, welcome to the bleeding edge, you spend most of your time looking at the middle.

I'd recommend getting away from the AAA if you'd liked to be surprised because that's almost literally the opposite of the design criteria of a AAA game.

That all said, there is nothing wrong with a break from gaming, whether you spend time on a different medium or hobby, or you take on something more productive like sports/exercise or volunteering, build up your skill set with maybe a language or study a topic you'd like to know more about.

Games are not a means for an ends, they are a pass time, unless you are one of the people who turn it into a job I guess.
    Last edited by Heliocentric; 12-08-2017 at 09:17 PM.
    I am once again writing a blog, vaguely about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

XCM2 LNG WAR CP Campaign Long War novices Welcome, now with 100% more laser guns!

In case of forum degradation pull cord.

Network Hub
    What I do when I find newer games boring is I go through a bunch of best of lists of past games. I then pick out whatever sounds interesting or whatever seems to have a quirk to it that other games don't have. Games have always iterated on other games that is just how this thing works. PC gaming though, has a long history and I find it IMPOSSIBLE to not find something interesting eventually. There is just way too many games to choose from. This probably isn't helping you much. OLD games at 4k supersampling sounds like a good time to me. Not only SS, but many older games can use post process effects now too. Relive the classics MAAAAAANNNNNNNN

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Explore beyond the AAA June.

Go with some more unusual games maybe. I often hop from genre to genre, it keeps things fresh. Or as Sarfrin said, try out some indie, or at least not AAA games, there's some very different concepts that can be a lot of fun.
    Steam: Mantis TobogganM.D.4
    Origin: MantisToboggan4
    Uplay: Mantis4Toboggan
    Rockstar GSC: MantisToboggan44
    Xbox: Mantis4Toboggan
    Discord: Mantis TobogganM.D.4#6965

Lesser Hivemind Node Viral Frog's Avatar
    I started to feel the same way when I first got my (at the time) top of the line gaming PC. I realized at some point that the games I enjoy are of certain styles. It has nothing to do with how great they look, or how badass a machine they require to run. I find myself having the most fun playing games that are 8, 9, 10, etc. years old. The only exceptions being some more recent indie games that are absolutely stellar. (But sure, the high end GPU and peripherals are nice as hell for movies.)

My advice is to just play what's fun to play and don't bother with keeping up with the Joneses. Sure, everything looking outstanding is nice, but that is far from what makes the gaming experience great. Also, branch out. Don't just stick with the mainstream or your typical favorite genres. Try some titles from genres you typically avoid. Try something you would have never imagined you'd be entertained with. The results may be surprising. Sure, you'll find a lot you just don't mesh with, but when you find the gems, they stay with you a long time.

Dunno, I had a real moment of homecoming thanks to Dead Cells, which broke a long stretch of staleness, ennui.

Games or otherwise, it can be hard to tell which one game will do it, you can't plan surprise. Or, delight.

Alternatively, there are other hobbies, and no obligation to play games; when you feel like coming back, if they still feel stale, then maybe it was the right time to move on.
    The Onward March of Bundles - Bundles, bundles, bundles! click on this nao! Humble Monthly September 2017 Edition instantly unlocks Killing Floor 2, and other marvelous games later, you can betcha! Like what I'm doing? new subscriber? just want me shut up? use this link, please!, some vBucks are thrown at me, no cost or inconvenience is thrown at you! Thankees! Steam - HowLongToBeat - weirdfish#2792 (HotS)

Whatever we do to the Web, we do to ourselves.

If you prefer older games, then play older games, whether they be PC or console via emulation. Absolutely nothing wrong with preferring how games used to be.

Why do you think Kickstarter got so big?

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    Why do you think Kickstarter got so big?
    Because it sells the delusion of placing the rudder in the hands of the backers, whereas, like self-publishing used to be, the backer's actually paying for the privilege of putting their name on something that nobody else but them, will ever read.

/S
    /OT
    The Onward March of Bundles - Bundles, bundles, bundles! click on this nao! Humble Monthly September 2017 Edition instantly unlocks Killing Floor 2, and other marvelous games later, you can betcha! Like what I'm doing? new subscriber? just want me shut up? use this link, please!, some vBucks are thrown at me, no cost or inconvenience is thrown at you! Thankees! Steam - HowLongToBeat - weirdfish#2792 (HotS)

Whatever we do to the Web, we do to ourselves.

Obscure Node
    I'm Just sad we don't get Nioh, Bloodborne & Demon Souls. But honestly, >> Still not enough to get me to hop over to a console :P.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I never really found PC gaming to be anything absurdly special, but I do wax and wane in various areas. If recent PC titles just aren't doing it for you, then don't worry. Go ahead and play some older stuff. As others have said, also look in the non-AAA areas.

If you feel you need to justify that high end gaming rig (Note: This isn't meant as an insult or a slight. It is entirely understandable to feel a bit put out when you spend a substantial amount of money on something, only to find either the results or lacking or your interest has waned.), then maybe you can specifically look at some of those older games that had rather high system requirements for their time, or for high-cost mods for older games. Basically, older stuff that you previously couldn't run at best performance. Or just look into other (non-game) software interests that benefit from bits of that high end rig.

Maybe your interest in PC gaming just needs a bit of time to revive. "Special" AAA titles are arguably pretty darn rare. Depending on your preferences, it can take years between them. (And, honestly, some of the "special" titles aren't even necessarily that special. They just happened to do the right things a little bit better than their competition.)

If you're an online gamer, I think it's natural for the interest to fade as the community fades. You age, you have less time, your friends have less time and you are less likely to meet people of your generation. Running dungeons with friends kept me entertained for years. If you're speaking of single player games, I was only hooked on one really...Skyrim. Bahaha, truly if they came out with another sequel, my life would be complete - for another 5 years.

I think it's normal over time to become either jaded, more discerning, or both. It's partly a result of getting older and less easily impressed, partly of having more experience and being less easily surprised.

Bear in mind that most games are pretty bad by most 'objective' criteria, and the subset of the good ones that happen to fit your personal tastes will inevitably be smaller still.

You mention storytelling and gameplay design in particular. Remember that a lot of games are carefully crafted to target the lowest common denominator of a mainstream audience.1 Add in the fact that the developers are focusing on so many other aspects aside from storytelling, and it's no surprise that even the most highly praised games are often about as interesting as mediocre Hollywood blockbusters or pulp novels. As for gameplay design, a lot of the 'progress' we've seen over the last couple of decades has been directed at exploiting the quirks of our brains in order to maximise addictiveness. In many genres profitability depends more on hooking players (by fair means or foul) than on giving them a satisfying and genuinely enjoyable experience -- let alone one that engages them intellectually in a novel way.

Then there's another aspect of the way the modern gaming economy works: so many of us admit to almost compulsively buying games we know we're unlikely to play more than once or twice, if at all. I don't know how much money is made selling games that will moulder away on a backlog forever, but my guess is it's not a trivial share of the market. And I don't know exactly how you nudge people into making that kind of purchase, but it's got to be only tenuously linked to the quality of the game. Anyway, my point is that the incentives facing developers and publishers and distributers are not particularly well aligned with the goal of producing games worth playing. So for games, Sturgeon's Law is probably lowballing it.

So it's possible that you need a break, or even that you're done with gaming and should just move on. But I think there's a fair chance that there are still a few gems waiting for you in the mountains of garbage. Maybe take a step back, think critically about why you've loved the games that you've loved in the past, and which of those elements can be recaptured and which ones can't? I'm not sure, I've been having trouble with this myself, but every now and then I'll still find something that really clicks with me and that I'm glad to have played.

1 This isn't a 'lol people are stupid' rant; I mean that there are certain basic buttons you can push that will work to some degree on most humans, whereas really engaging us in a more sophisticated/challenging/richly enjoyable way tends to require form & content tailored more specifically to our individual quirks and thinking styles and backgrounds and areas of interest and so on. If you just want to please as many people as possible sufficiently to get them to shell out $30, you're going to opt for the first strategy. (Also, in the case of gaming, the mainstream audience includes a lot of teenagers, who also aren't stupid but whose tastes will probably differ from yours if you're an adult.)
    Last edited by MD!; 14-08-2017 at 05:29 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I nearly got all cash-happy for the Ryzen, and then would have been looking for games to 'justify' the expense of a new PC. Luckily the whole crypto-currency inflating GPU prices caused me to pause, and now i'm just happily playing my usual games on my usual PC.

It is very easy to get caught up in buying new stuff (PC, phones etc) as a means to itself (often).

My suggestion to anyone feeling what the OP is, is to go play OpenXcom. You don't need the latest AAA games for the best game experiences imho.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    Dunno, I had a real moment of homecoming thanks to Dead Cells, which broke a long stretch of staleness, ennui.

Games or otherwise, it can be hard to tell which one game will do it, you can't plan surprise. Or, delight.

Alternatively, there are other hobbies, and no obligation to play games; when you feel like coming back, if they still feel stale, then maybe it was the right time to move on.
    That's really interesting alms, I had the exact same reaction to Dead Cells.

I was pretty bored of computer/video gaming and just listlessly buying the odd game, and getting bored by it more or less immediately, even when it was clearly pretty good. Then I played Dead Cells and it like a cool rain. So perfect in some strange way.

I stopped playing it after a dozen hours or so, hoping to preserve some of that experience for when I need it again, but just felt much better about gaming after that. Very strange. I couldn't put my finger on what about Dead Cells did.

Quote Originally Posted by Baines View Post
    I never really found PC gaming to be anything absurdly special, but I do wax and wane in various areas. If recent PC titles just aren't doing it for you, then don't worry. Go ahead and play some older stuff. As others have said, also look in the non-AAA areas.

If you feel you need to justify that high end gaming rig (Note: This isn't meant as an insult or a slight. It is entirely understandable to feel a bit put out when you spend a substantial amount of money on something, only to find either the results or lacking or your interest has waned.), then maybe you can specifically look at some of those older games that had rather high system requirements for their time, or for high-cost mods for older games. Basically, older stuff that you previously couldn't run at best performance. Or just look into other (non-game) software interests that benefit from bits of that high end rig.

Maybe your interest in PC gaming just needs a bit of time to revive. "Special" AAA titles are arguably pretty darn rare. Depending on your preferences, it can take years between them. (And, honestly, some of the "special" titles aren't even necessarily that special. They just happened to do the right things a little bit better than their competition.)
    I think this is spot-on.

My own feeling of ennui came after upgrading my PC and playing some games I'd been looking forward to, only to feel rather neutral towards them. There's nothing both hugely exciting and hugely demanding in the AAA sphere right now, or on the horizon, but as you suggest, you can mod the SHIT out of older games, and jam up every slider to max, and get some fairly tremendous experiences that way.

May I suggest you spin the wheel of Steam: http://www.thewheelhaus.com ?

When I'm utterly bored of AAA Far Cry clones, I like to dig a random game out of my Steam library and play that. Those random little bits of detritus you pick up with publisher packs usually make for the best fodder. I've discovered so many little gems in there like Tengami and Jazzpunk. Of course, I also ended up playing through Rogue Warrior, but hey, no system is perfect.

There is such a variety of stuff on PC these days. Just pick a genre you never thought you would like and try something in it.

Quote Originally Posted by ZakG View Post
    I nearly got all cash-happy for the Ryzen, and then would have been looking for games to 'justify' the expense of a new PC. Luckily the whole crypto-currency inflating GPU prices caused me to pause, and now i'm just happily playing my usual games on my usual PC.
    Yeah, I've been thinking about upgrading to Ryzen, but other than VR, my PC is perfectly capable of playing the games I have and I just can't justify upgrading to myself. At this point, I think I could just play Firaxis games forever and be perfectly happy.

Activated Node
    I'd argue that PC Gaming has never been more vibrant. As long as one ignores the AAA market.

As said above, you can just about bet that a AAA title is made to earn cash and, much like a big-budget movie, this means focussing on the things that earn cash (read: being GTA) and NOT on the things that earn kudos. But, just like Vimeo gives us way better stuff to watch (albeit shorter) than Hollywood does, these days, the Indie crowd is really giving us a lot. (I mean proper Indie. Not a bunch of industry vets on Kickstarter, offering undiluted nostalgia and naught else.)

I've just finished The Banner Saga. I played once through the beta of Factorio and anxiously await the release so that I can binge on it, again. A second captain of my lineage recently completed their life's ambition in Sunless Sea. I've logged close to 250 hours in Terraria and still feel like going back, one day.

No two of these games are alike in any way and ALL of them basically redefine or create an entirely new niche. Any one of these games could have failed utterly because they aren't just trying to put together a package of old and tired sure-sell features and some flashy graphics for a marketing campaign. Today, game development is accessible enough that teams can try stuff. Sometimes it works!

I have in mind a concept of a management sim riffing on the old, nostalgic concept of "walkers" from games like Pharoah and Ceaser but exploiting Q-learning to make the walkers smart. Does anyone want to play a Pharoah-like, these days? I don't know. Do properly smart walkers make for a fun time? I don't know. Point is, I can try!

Will my walker-game end up on the list of superlatives, along with Factorio and Minecraft? Probably not. What will be the next game on that list? I don't know but I am damn sure it won't be too long before we see it and it won't come with an EA, Ubisoft or Bethesda logo on the cover!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    As far as I go I've always wanted some actually exciting shooter/horror game, which are still only in my mind, any other game worthy a couple of shits is unique stuff I can find anywhere regardless of platform and genre along with smaller cute games.
    Last edited by Wenz; 15-08-2017 at 10:12 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by June4k9 View Post
    No game has yet to give me a wow moment or offer me something completely new and unexpected, I've been going through games that are three plus year's old, the usual triple A titles but I feel like something is missing in terms of gameplay design and storytelling.
    I'm guessing folks here might be able to offer some specific suggestions if the situation itself was described in a more specific way. Which games did you play, which elements disappointed?

But in any case; regardless of the money behind a game, most of them are not going to be great or genre-defining. They're going to be by the books, tied to genre conventions and story clichs. That's only normal and, on a related note, also a good reason not to buy the latest and greatest technology because chances are most games that are going to be worth your time and attention are not brand new releases and will work just fine on more reasonably priced hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by theantmeister View Post
    May I suggest you spin the wheel of Steam: http://www.thewheelhaus.com ?
    That's great!
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

If you'll excuse the dirty comment, it's a bit like having a girlfriend who says that no'ones ever done it for her in bed in a way that properly pleased her. And just as with that example, the same goes with video games. Each of us has our own likes and dislikes with games. It's about finding what you like, and then playing the hell out of that once you do to get your "ultimate" enjoyment.

Seek and yee shall find. There is plenty of games for MANY platforms out there from over 40+ years of gaming. Your not just restricted to new games. There is an absolute SEA of games out there.

Prefer games from the 90s? Go play those. Find games you never played from that decade yet, and play em in Dosbox or the emulator of your choice (if it's not from PC).

I just find it a bit annoying when people say stuff like "they don't make games like they used to". Then go play those, or games like that from the same decade for nearly endless hours of fun. That is what makes games so good. You have near endless potential at your fingertips. You just need to go find it out there.
    Last edited by icemann; 16-08-2017 at 01:02 PM.