Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus TheDreamlord's Avatar

No Man's Sky - gameplay

I have to say I really can't stand the discussions going on at the other NMS thread. I am not interested in what could have beens. I quite like the game and I want to be able to discuss about it, ask questions, share experiences etc. Can I please ask everyone to keep any "this is not what I wanted" and "I don't like it" posts to that other thread and use this only if you play the game, want to play the game, or in general want to discuss your experiences with the game. Thank you.

I also plan to post quite a few screenshots here, so I don't cram the main screenshots thread with NMS ones.

To start with, can someone tell me how I can navigate the map? It confuses the hell out of me.

Banned
    The planetary navigation or the galactic one?

Also for easier screenshot taking try this No hud toggle mod: -

http://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/11/?

You need to install the NMS script extender firstly, though: -

http://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/9/?

And you launch the game using the NMSElauncher.exe (just create a desktop shortcut) just ensure Steam is open beforehand if that is your weapon of choice. Steam overlay/broadcast still works as far as I can tell.

Early days with the script extender etc on the modding scene, but I dare say in time an easier system will be put into place.
    Last edited by Kadayi; 21-08-2016 at 06:07 PM.

I'm still stuck in my second system, 16 hours in. I've been exploring the four-planet system, upgraded to a new ship a few times, and now I'm looking for a shop that sells antimatter so I can move on. Or I may fill out the critter charts of the planets first. We'll see. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    The planetary navigation or the galactic one?
    The galactic one. Planets have no maps, do they??

Quote Originally Posted by Syt View Post
    I'm still stuck in my second system, 16 hours in. I've been exploring the four-planet system, upgraded to a new ship a few times, and now I'm looking for a shop that sells antimatter so I can move on. Or I may fill out the critter charts of the planets first. We'll see. :)
    It's probably easier to build Antimatter.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDreamlord View Post
    The galactic one. Planets have no maps, do they??
    No, they don't, but if you want to mark a particular location for yourself (like a trading post for instance) so you can always find it, then scan the building. You'll always be able to find it on the ships navigation screen and visually as a white horizontal line on the horizon. You can do this for up to 3 locations I believe (to clear scan from space I've heard). Handy for if you are spending a lot of time on a planet and going far a field.

As for the galactic map, well you can either follow the waypoints that will lead you towards the centre, or you can use free view which will allow you to navigate to any planet, though whether you can warp there is another matter entirely.

It's probably easier to build Antimatter.
    Yep. If you don't have the formula then go to a signal tower and use a bypass chip to scan for colonial outposts, this should reveal manufacturing plants , and you'll get material formulas when you bust in and sort out the issues. just don't get killed by sentinels and save before you do go in so you can roll back in the event you don't get the commands right.

Personally I'm a huge fan of getting monoliths etc done first. Being able to understand what the Aliens say is a massive bonus. I know about 400+ words of Korvax now and it's paid dividends with all the interactions in terms of figuring out what needs to be done.
    Last edited by Kadayi; 21-08-2016 at 06:24 PM.

Blimey! I only know 40 or so words so far!
    Thanks for the map info. I didn't know you can actually scan the buildings.

Banned
    Current Planet, so pretty. Pity I'm almost done with it (just a couple of creatures to find).

Maxed out my Exo suit & Multitool now. The ship is 23 slot, but I'm thinking I might just stick with it for now.

One thing I quite like doing is taking screens using the jetpack to gain some height. Hasn't quite retained the symmetry I was going for there

Banned
    Oh yeah, when mob hunting, for that elusive last creature. Find some height and use your Analysis visor and look out for the popping white specs. Much like Superman the analysis visor can see through terrain. It won't scan them if they are hidden, but it will tell you were to look.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The ship has a navigation screen? What where huh?

Also, is anyone able to scan birds (and their relatives)? I get white/red dots on them confirming the scanner knows they are there, but no results. I don't know if I need to be closer, or if they are just not included in scans (similar to how grass is ignored).

[Edit] Seems I can only scan the ButterLizardFlys if I shoot them out of the sky first... What, why are you all looking at me like that?
    Last edited by TechnicalBen; 21-08-2016 at 10:10 PM.
    It is a technical difference, but's there none the less.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Procrastination Giant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnicalBen View Post
    Also, is anyone able to scan birds (and their relatives)? I get white/red dots on them confirming the scanner knows they are there, but no results. I don't know if I need to be closer, or if they are just not included in scans (similar to how grass is ignored).
    Scanning flying creatures is definitely possible, so it's a matter of distance. Zooming in might do the trick and if it doesn't... I think the fastest way is to simply shoot one out of the sky.
    Bullshit makes the flowers grow and that's beautiful!
    Poke me on Steam, if you must.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The screen in the middle of your dashboard shows planets n stations n stuff in a forward arc. Not sure if that's what Kadayi was referring to.

Scanning birds doesn't seem to work while they are in the air. Bigger airborne creatures aren't a problem but I've never succeeded in scanning something bird sized. So you have to encourage them to come to ground with your multitool, if you know what I mean, cough cough shoot them.

Only just discovered you can boost with shift while flying. Previously used the jump drive to get everywhere, entering a planet's atmosphere manually is so much more impressive.
    Last edited by Rizlar; 21-08-2016 at 10:01 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    not played NMS yet, but I wanted to ask about the animals, other than taking selfies with them is there a point to them? Can you hunt them for materials, or capture and release etc?
    I am once again writing a blog, vaguely about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

In case of forum degradation pull cord.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Animals are pretty limited, although you can kill them for material or feed them stuff to make them friendlier. Apparently they also crap out materials if you feed them, yet to try it out though. Scanning every species of animal on a planet gives you a bunch of money, which seems to be the main thing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizlar View Post
    Animals are pretty limited, although you can kill them for material or feed them stuff to make them friendlier. Apparently they also crap out materials if you feed them, yet to try it out though. Scanning every species of animal on a planet gives you a bunch of money, which seems to be the main thing.
    I was hoping for some pokemon snap shit where you could check out the animals interactions, photographing "X hunting Y" gives bonus cash. Hmm.. Food for thought, thanks.
    I am once again writing a blog, vaguely about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

In case of forum degradation pull cord.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnicalBen View Post
    Flying things are like Pokemon, gotta shoot them all. One planet had these tiny butterfly type things that were super fast and flew quite erratically. I had to use homing bullets to take em down...

The screen in the middle of your dashboard shows planets n stations n stuff in a forward arc. Not sure if that's what Kadayi was referring to.
    In the cockpit you have the planetary display. Any scanned building will show up as a line on that (up to about 3).

Only just discovered you can boost with shift while flying. Previously used the jump drive to get everywhere, entering a planet's atmosphere manually is so much more impressive.
    Useful for if a location is distant for sure, though if it's 10 minutes or so then you're as well to go into orbit and dive bomb it.

Yeah you can make friends if you feed them stuff, and they'll crap minerals/find things for you, however it can be a bit like this: -

And after a while you'll be glad to get in your ship and get away from the animal sounds and attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    I was hoping for some pokemon snap shit where you could check out the animals interactions, photographing "X hunting Y" gives bonus cash. Hmm.. Food for thought, thanks.
    I dare say more can be added over time. Personally I want a free camera so I can get some decent animal shots. Most are quite skittish as a rule so it's hard to get good captures.
    Last edited by Kadayi; 21-08-2016 at 10:37 PM.

Banned
    Interesting: -

I recall some talk about this, but it's good to see a visual example to demonstrate it. Basically, the creatures are assigned to locations types dependent on where they feature in the list.

Obviously, not all worlds have water, but if for instance, the missing name is in the top couple of lines then you know it's probably a plains creature.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    Personally I want a free camera so I can get some decent animal shots. Most are quite skittish as a rule so it's hard to get good captures.
    Nvidia Ansel support is hopefully on its way (it was promised as a release feature but that didn't happen unfortunately). I came across a large wolf-like animal that was so shy it literally would not see me eye to eye. However much strafing I did, it always managed to just present its arse to me!

(the one on the right)

This one sure as hell looks like the one in the cutest bear attack video above!

And one that has no animals, but I like quite a lot

Banned
    Over at GAF one of the more regular screenshot whores was going on about using Cheat engine to take screens with. Apparently, the guy who does Deadendthrills uses it a lot. I think you can use it do actual game tweaks, but he uses it to create free cameras in game etc.

bit late in the evening, but I'll probably look into it over the next couple of evenings.

These are the sort of insane screenshots they take (open in a seperate tab to enjoy fully): -

And yeah they're generally running the games using SLI'd rigs and downsampling to boot. :(
    Last edited by Kadayi; 21-08-2016 at 11:46 PM.

Network Hub
    found a planet full of albumen pearls. best place to harvest them is in caves, because the elite sentinels cant get in (those mechwarrior ones). sometimes there spawns one crawler but thats it, kill those off and wait for the sentinels alarm to wear off.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDreamlord View Post
    Looks nice. What settings to get those screenshots? :)
    It is a technical difference, but's there none the less.