Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Installed games

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar

Installed games

Just curious to know, now many games do people have installed at any one time?

A quick look at Steam tells me that I have 138 games presently installed (out of about 480) but I've been pondering purging my entire installed folder and just keeping a few regular mainstays on there (CK2, XCOM2 etc) and just the game I'm presently into. I feel too many immediately available choices can be a bit stultifying and that perhaps, limiting what's installed will be beneficial in that regard.

Curious to know where other people stand?
    2017 Yay!!!!
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil. Tradition is the tyranny of dead men
    Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi
    Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes....
    The Conclave beckons ... PM for details

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    32 games, 9 apps.

On Steam, 37. GOG, 3. One or two are installed that aren't tied to any application. I actually don't play more than five per month or so, but which five can vary a bit.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    About 40 or so. It varies though, because I mostly just go 'oh no I'm out of space' and uninstall half my library and then let it fill back up again slowly. Right now I'm close to what I'd consider purging point. But if I for example was on a bigger indie kick, with smaller game sizes, it could easily get much higher than that. It's purely a factor of storage, not tidiness.
    I wrote a fantasy novel, called Lavender! Perhaps you'd like to read it.

On Steam, 22. Next to that, Guild Wars 2, Minecraft, Dwarf Fortress and Hearthstone. That's it. Apart from a few games I play regularly, I usually uninstall something when I'm done with it. I'm lucky enough to have a pretty fast internet connection, so re-downloading something isn't too big of a deal (apart from my Flight Simulator X install, which is almost 40 GB and features some mods I'd have to search very hard for).
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. G3rt

Guild Wars 2 characters: Norgothus (Norn Necromancer), Maggrivo (Charr Warrior)

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    Never go full Wulf.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I have 71 games installed on Steam. I probably have another 20-30 installed via other methods or directly (mostly Origin games or MMOs). The majority of Steam ones are smaller Indie, retro or semi-Indie games.

I'm currently at less then 30 games installed, but getting rather close to the storage drive being full again. I tend not to care too much about installed games and remove and install games quite a bit though! I have a lot of simulation games pre-installed since they have modular addons and because I play those online a lot, but otherwise I tend to remove and add games at a regular rate, mainly becuase I have limited storage space (or, well, 1tb, but I hear that's limited now), and very fast internet and no bandwith caps. In short, my games installed are defined by my storage space considerations and the ease of re-installing those games.

Thanks for the feedback ppl. Seems like most people have a more sensible number of games installed by all accounts. Albeit I have a couple of modest sized SSD's I have quite a lot of HDD storage as well (12 TB or so), and I've gotten into the habit of keeping games installed on those and using Steam mover to transfer them to an SSD as and when necessary for the extra boost.

I'm planning a full system reinstall soon, due to some BSOD issues. I think I'll have a purge and reduce my installed games down to something a tad more manageable when I do. Too much choice leads to decision paralysis.
    2017 Yay!!!!

On Steam I have 28 games, and on Origin 5 games. Not that much, but I sometimes delete the games that I don't play in a while.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    I think I'll have a purge and reduce my installed games down to something a tad more manageable when I do. Too much choice leads to decision paralysis.
    Does not having them installed really cure that, though? Or does it just mean that you wait for them to download, or play nothing at all because what you wanted isn't installed? :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    On Steam 42 out of 364 installed. Maybe three or four non-Steam games aside from that. And I can attest that having things uninstalled doesn't help with decision paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by LexW View Post
    Does not having them installed really cure that, though? Or does it just mean that you wait for them to download, or play nothing at all because what you wanted isn't installed? :)
    I'm not going to get rid of all of them. CK2 is a game I dip into every few months or so, so I'm going to keep that and a few others around. But there's no point having endless titles installed that don't really grab my attention. I figure if I just have a few installed then I'm more likely to concentrate on those and finish them, versus drift off and play others instead (as I'm want to do). My internet is reasonable enough, but a big AAA titles definitely not a fast download.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkFenix View Post
    Maybe three or four non-Steam games aside from that. And I can attest that having things uninstalled doesn't help with decision paralysis.
    I do use catagories with steam, and I only ever have it set to show installed games.
    Last edited by Kadayi; 08-02-2017 at 12:21 AM.
    2017 Yay!!!!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    44 games installed atm, though I haven't actually played anything in the last couple of weeks and could probably nuke all but five or so that have mods that'd be annoying to reinstall. I've mostly been just dipping into things for a couple of hours lately and the last game I played through in full was a replay of Dark Souls.

I don't think having things installed or not is a big factor, though I sometimes feel a bit daunted when scrolling through my libraries on Steam and GOG.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    28 Steam games installed, 3 GOG games, and a handful of non-client games. Many of those are mainstays - stuff I keep installed all the time like Rise of Nations, AI War, ToME, and Sword of the Stars. When it's time to play something genuinely new I often have to install it, so this all does little to resolve that paralysis.

Lesser Hivemind Node LordShadoko's Avatar
    33 steam games installed out of around 80, 2 Origin games (Dragon Age 2 + Mass Effect 3), 5 non-origin games (Mass Effect 1 and 2, Cities XL, Thea : The Awakening and Medieval 2 : Total War). I tend to accumulate games a lot and never purging them. It's partly due to my shitty internet which means I don't necessarily want to spend hours and hours downloading a 10 GB game ; so it means my mainstays are mostly digital games, while I uninstall the boxed games first.
    Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Steam: 25 (out 381)
    Origin: 4 (out of 31)
    Uplay: 4 (out of 33)
    GOG: 3 (out of 3)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    GOG: 28 (machine 1), 16 (machine 2) (i have a library of around 130)

Other (non digital): 4 (machine 1), 22 (machine 2) (these are CD/DVD based games).

Other (digital, but non 'store' affiliated): 6 (machine 1), 14 (machine 2) - basically Minecraft+Elite Dangerous plus a bunch of humble-bundle games.

I usually only play 3-4 games over any given period, if i'm well into a particular title that might be all i play for a good while.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    There was a time when I had nearly all of my 600 games (at the time) installed, but that was on a Seagate drive so when it died a month out of warranty I didn't bother replacing it. Now I've got 2TB of SSD storage across five drives because I have an annoying compulsion to fill empty slots for no real reason so the number has slowly crept back up to over 100, if I sat down and thought about it I could remove a lot but as I don't need to, I haven't.

I've got a mixture of favourites I'm likely to pick up on a whim, games I'm currently playing through, multiplayer games that I'm likely to be invited/invite others to play at short notice and huge games that'd just take too long to download installed, hence the large number.
    :emofdr:

Secondary Hivemind Nexus TheDreamlord's Avatar
    125 installed out of 454 (in steam). Blimey....

I have a puny SSD, so I only have 5 Steam games installed and 1 GoG game (Fallout).

I do have all 189 of my older (non-Steam) games installed on an external hard drive, with no-CD patches applied for maximum laziness. I hardly ever plug that in though. In fact, I'm not sure how many of those work now that I've upgraded to Windows 10.