Packt: One free ebook a day til the end of May - game development titles too!

Unfortunately I only got wind of this one now, unlocked titles thus far:

Learning C++ by Creating Games with UE4
    Android Programming for Beginners
    OpenCV Computer Vision with Python
    Mastering Docker
    R Deep Learning Essentials
    The Game Jam Survival Guide
    Learning Reactive Programming with Java 8
    Unity 5 Game Optimization
    Kali Linux - Assuring Security by Penetration Testing

https://www.packtpub.com/packt/offers/free-learning
    The Onward March of Bundles - For an overview of bundle deals, and more, click here. The new Humble Monthly June comes with Paradox's latest grand strategy game set in space Stellaris, and more fab indie games. If you like what I'm doing, and are a new subscriber, please consider using this link, throw some monies at me, at no cost or inconvenience to you. Thanks! Me on Steam and HowLongToBeat.

"I'm too big of a hothead, I've got a history, I've got implants...take your pick."

I'm always wary of books on development environments that change very quickly, but I guess if it's immediately-relevant it's worthwhile? I just kinda.. "But I could google a dozen forum threads on this, probably some indepth articles and tutorials too"
    Steam: Dilapinated

Today's freebie is: Procedural Content Generation for C++ Game Development.
    The Onward March of Bundles - For an overview of bundle deals, and more, click here. The new Humble Monthly June comes with Paradox's latest grand strategy game set in space Stellaris, and more fab indie games. If you like what I'm doing, and are a new subscriber, please consider using this link, throw some monies at me, at no cost or inconvenience to you. Thanks! Me on Steam and HowLongToBeat.

"I'm too big of a hothead, I've got a history, I've got implants...take your pick."

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    Today's freebie is: Procedural Content Generation for C++ Game Development.
    Tempting! Even though I'd rather use Fortran than ever get near C++ ever again. Ever.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Why is that in C++? Procedural generation isn't a language specific thing. I remain wary of books on theory that have a specific language in their title as lacking in substance, in my experience.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus TheDreamlord's Avatar
    Programming as a profession has become so incredibly convoluted the last few years, and one of the main reasons is the profiteering of so many people creating "edges" everywhere in the platforms. Instead of relying on the skill set of good basic principles, nowadays (when job hunting at least) people seem to mostly care about how much you can cram into your short term memory in order to answer interview questions. And which of the myriad of frameworks or sub-frameworks or APIs you know and have used. The fact that I can (demonstrably) learn a new programming language in less than a month and be proficient with it, means very little nowadays apparently.
    I agree with Zephro that 2,000 page books on a single language (and there are plenty that long focusing on a single API ffs) are useless nowadays, since everything is on the web now.
    Sorry, rant over.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus GameCat's Avatar
    I'm working as programmer right now and I've never touched any programming book in my life.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I think the reason its in C++ is Unreal Engine, Lumberyard and Cryengine is C++ and to people who are not programmers they don't know that first principles carry over and pick a specific language to work on and C++ is in vogue.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus TheDreamlord's Avatar
    I rarely read programming books either. And if I do, I only read the short, concise ones that explain the language/platform/api and give you the core understanding to hit the ground running in a project.

The thing with books nowadays is that they are outdated a few months after release anyway.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephro View Post
    Why is that in C++? Procedural generation isn't a language specific thing. I remain wary of books on theory that have a specific language in their title as lacking in substance, in my experience.
    It doesn't need to be. But if you want to build working examples, it pays to stick to a single language/framework. And developing a working example seems to be the main focus of this particular book.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
    I think the reason its in C++ is Unreal Engine, Lumberyard and Cryengine is C++ and to people who are not programmers they don't know that first principles carry over and pick a specific language to work on and C++ is in vogue.
    I will laugh in the face of anyone attempting to be a good C++ programmer with no understanding of basic principles honestly. That's basically inviting buffer overflows and memory leaks left right and centre.

Anyway unlike everyone else here I still use lots of books when learning new programming languages, but it's largely that I just loathe reading for too long on a computer screen and prefer making hand written notes. Though the good ones are the ones in the vein of Effective C++ or Exceptional C++.
    Books of language specs or books on specific APIs are usually a waste of space or learn to program tutorial books are normally crap as well.
    Anything that is about a CS principle should just be titled that with examples done in whatever language is suitable, but if it's part of the title then the book is probably crap. It's like the Hennessy and Patterson bibles give most their examples in MIPs with some odd x86 thrown in, but they don't have MIPs in the title, as programming languages are largely irrelevant in this context. A good book on AI isn't normally called AI in Python or AI for the Python programmer or whatever.

The books are provided in various popular eBook formats, no need to read on the computer.

I think the main reason for C++ is that the book uses a certain library and provides a game engine based on it, to guide the reader through the development of an actual game that is playable.

Network Hub
    Sorry for bringing this month-old topic back to life, but I thought it worth pointing out that Packt's free offer didn't end in April - it's actually an ongoing thing they've been doing for a couple years now. You can still grab a free ebook every day at https://www.packtpub.com/packt/offers/free-learning.

Yeah, I missed a few, otherwise am still intent on collecting them - I'll edit the topic subject to reflect the extension.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BillButNotBen's Avatar
    Yeah, I've grabbed most of them (and read none of them, but that's by the by).

Some hold no real interest for me, but I thought I'd grab them incase I ever suddenly develop the need/desire to program a Raspberry Pi or something like that.
    A couple have actually looked pretty useful/relevant. It's just a case of whether I'll get a chance to read them before they go obsolete.

Good spot Alms.

No prob, I'm glad someone has found this thread useful.