Secondary Hivemind Nexus karaquazian's Avatar

How bloody addictive is rim world

I've not been into games much the last 18 months or so, just a blast on nuclear throne for 15 mins when I get home, maybe a bit of pixel dungeon on my phone when bored at work, the occasional game of infinifactory. But damn it I can't put this bloody thing down I'm playing 4 hours a night, staying in on my 1weekend night off etc.. It just ticks all them "1 more turn" buttons without being actually turn based and the narrative you weave for it in your head is possibly best I've experienced.

Activated Node
    Poor mans Factorio.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Nah. It is a different game to Factorio, entirely. It's a poor mans Dwarf Fortress... well, not really it's a GUI enabled DF. ;)

The only thing I'm finding right now is it feels a little "slow". I'm not sure why. But waiting for mods to catch up with .15 so I can try out the new "drugs" mechanism.
    It is a technical difference, but's there none the less.

Quote Originally Posted by TechnicalBen View Post
    Nah. It is a different game to Factorio, entirely. It's a poor mans Dwarf Fortress... well, not really it's a GUI enabled DF. ;)

The only thing I'm finding right now is it feels a little "slow". I'm not sure why. But waiting for mods to catch up with .15 so I can try out the new "drugs" mechanism.
    yeah. its different, but very slow. the drugs is helping??

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    I kind of adore it as a narrative machine, but it is incredibly annoying that the game sometimes just decides to fuck over your colony, no matter how carefully prepared and stable it is. Having put 20 hours into something and then having random maths stomp all over it isn't a very satisfying story.

I have often found in such games that once your colony/party is indefatigable much of the romance is dead. You've curated the death of entropy, many games handle that with time limits (FTL, Tropico, Pirates ATOM Zombie Smasher), others mad RNG which ruins your day (Dwarf Fortress).

Some games just accept the death of entropy is a valid goal though(Prison Architect).
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bobtree's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    once your colony/party is indefatigable much of the romance is dead
    Yep. My first RimWorld colony was an engrossing train-wreck. The second was very successful but resource starved, and I tired of waiting for random events to scrape up more steel needed for late-game construction. Alpha 15 added deep drilling, but old saves are incompatible (reportedly it's possible to update them by hand).

Tip for beginners: don't make buildings/furniture/etc out of steel, just click your selection again to pick from available materials. Otherwise you can salvage your mistakes (and rebuild) piecemeal to recover most of it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus karaquazian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    I have often found in such games that once your colony/party is indefatigable much of the romance is dead. You've curated the death of entropy, many games handle that with time limits (FTL, Tropico, Pirates ATOM Zombie Smasher), others mad RNG which ruins your day (Dwarf Fortress).

Some games just accept the death of entropy is a valid goal though(Prison Architect).
    You can choose a scenario where a doomsday weapon will wipe out the planet and you with it unless you build a ship with x days

I love Rimworld. I've been playing it for about a year, maybe more. Playing with mods installed is much more fun than without them though. I go through phases where I play a game here and there and then just leave it alone for a while.
    The same can be said for Prison Architect, but with Prison Architect I don't play with mods.

I've found building a troglodyte style colony works well. As you dig into the mountains and carve out each room your morale gets higher as each colonist gets their own bedroom. It helps when getting raided by large groups armed with mortars as the shells can't penetrate that far into a mountain side.

To the guy who said it's like a poor man's factorio ... no. You're wrong.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Even though I've owned it for a while, I've finally started playing it. Just from going through the tutorial, and then playing a little bit beyond, I can tell most of my games will be train-wrecks.

It only takes little things, like building a stove and setting meals like the tutorial states, and then realizing that none of my people can be set to cook? Or having a raider bleeding to death behind the house, and not being sure what to do with him. (I can capture him, if I build him a bed. But I'd rather just kill him and dump the body in the nearby lake, and I see no option for that approach.) Or designating a nearby pond as a dumping area, hoping to get rid of some garbage, then seeing someone lugging slate there, I guess because they see no use for slate and they felt it was in the way or something?