Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar

American Truck Simulator Mods AKA Real brands in your games

A quick question for those in the know: I've played ETS2 pretty extensively, and I've always used the ETS2 Essentials mod and Jazzycat's various traffic and trailer mods (thanks to suggestions from Faldrath way back when).

I just picked up ATS and was looking at my options. It appears that Jazzycat has an equivalent set of ATS mods, which is great news, but I haven't turned up anything equivalent to Essentials. Can anyone recommend a good general QOL mod for ATS? Does it need one?

Looking at Steam's own Community Hub does not highlight anything relevant, I would guess SCS's own forum is probably the best next stop, assuming nobody else chimes in.
    The Onward March of Bundles - Bundles, bundles, bundles! click on this nao! Humble Monthly September 2017 Edition instantly unlocks Killing Floor 2, and other marvelous games later, you can betcha! Like what I'm doing? new subscriber? just want me shut up? use this link, please!, some vBucks are thrown at me, no cost or inconvenience is thrown at you! Thankees! Steam - HowLongToBeat - weirdfish#2792 (HotS)

Whatever we do to the Web, we do to ourselves.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Surely you need a truck nuts mod for authenticity?
    I am once again writing a blog, vaguely about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

XCM2 LNG WAR CP Campaign Long War novices Welcome, now with 100% more laser guns!

In case of forum degradation pull cord.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I use the real.company logos.

Its funny. Back when DXHR talked about adds in the game from all companies people threw a fit. Now, I WANT real-world logos.in my Truck.sim, since it really adds to the immersion factor.

Also, on the lookout for a good Bay and Creek logo trailer. Alice Isn't Dead (podcast) is a big part of my ATS time, and I would love to see their trailer logo in this game.

Other than real logos though...the game is solid enough that I can't think of a must have mod. Just good stand alone trailers for maximum variety.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcompany View Post
    Its funny. Back when DXHR talked about adds in the game from all companies people threw a fit. Now, I WANT real-world logos.in my Truck.sim, since it really adds to the immersion factor.
    It all depends on the context though doesn't it? In a game set in a fictional dystopian future, having real world present day contemporary ads just wouldn't fit and would be quite jarring. In a game set in the present day where you are basically spending all your time driving products around recreations of real world locations, then obviously real world ads are a much better fit.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    It all depends on the context though doesn't it? In a game set in a fictional dystopian future, having real world present day contemporary ads just wouldn't fit and would be quite jarring. In a game set in the present day where you are basically spending all your time driving products around recreations of real world locations, then obviously real world ads are a much better fit.
    Absolutely. Context matters.

Still, I think a futuristic Pepsi or Coke ad in DXHR might have suited.

In Mankind Divided...not so much. The world's a bit far gone, at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Definitely. The flight sim scene is full of people who recreate the livery of existing airlines to use in their sims. Usually the default livery is one of a fictional airline, which breaks immersion if you're really into aviation.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. G3rt

Guild Wars 2 characters: Norgothus (Norn Necromancer), Maggrivo (Charr Warrior)

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    Never go full Wulf.

How people can be fixated on reproducing actual brands inside their game worlds, but at the same time don't want ads in their browsing experience is befuddling.

RPS can eat shit or join the AdBlock racket, but big firms, please advertise for free inside my game world. Seriously.

edit: no wait, it's worse, it's creating an incentive for game devs to pay licenses to have the damn brands featured.

Yours,
    Ford Prefect
    Last edited by alms; 03-08-2017 at 03:27 PM.
    The Onward March of Bundles - Bundles, bundles, bundles! click on this nao! Humble Monthly September 2017 Edition instantly unlocks Killing Floor 2, and other marvelous games later, you can betcha! Like what I'm doing? new subscriber? just want me shut up? use this link, please!, some vBucks are thrown at me, no cost or inconvenience is thrown at you! Thankees! Steam - HowLongToBeat - weirdfish#2792 (HotS)

Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    How people can be fixated on reproducing actual brands inside their game worlds, but at the same time don't want ads in their browsing experience is befuddling.
    Simple: Having real-world trailers in Euro Truck has never given my computer a virus.

Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    Simple: Having real-world trailers in Euro Truck has never given my computer a virus.
    If that's your angle, be my guest: not that you know it yet, and certainly your browser is under more scrutiny, and more secure, than the mod you downloaded from a Czech site.

If that's your angle, be my guest: not that you know it yet, and certainly your browser is under more scrutiny, and more secure, than the mod you downloaded from a Czech site.
    Which is why I carefully screen mods before I install them. Would that I had that option with browser ads.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I actually never stuck with any mods in ETS2 but I find them essential for ATS because the base game is, frankly, somewhat lacking...

I STRONGLY recommend (all Workshop items)

Longer Yellow Lights (you really need this - the stock delay is silly)
    Coyote's Air and Parking Brake Sounds (p-tssshhhh)
    ATS engine sound pack 2.5 + New Indicator Sound (Kriechbaums sounds with permission)
    Aradeth's Volvo VNL670 (easily good enough quality to be in the original game - where IS the Volvo SCS??)

I tried some of the physics and graphics mods but didn't really dig what they did so chucked-em and I don't do map mods because every patch is a pain in the ass (ETS2 Pro Mods also take a week to load!!)

One other thing which GREATLY improves ATS (ETS to a lesser degree) is reducing Brake Sensitivity/Assist (Game Options) - US trucks are far more reliant on Jakes and Retarders than Euro ones so this feels more authentic (enable realistic Air Brakes is optional but adds some challenge too!!)

Other trucks worth a look (again all on Workshop) are

Scot A2HD
    Freightliner Argosy
    Freightliner FLB
    Western Star

With that lot it's almost a game worth playing (the base game really is laughably empty tho)

Totally different thing. If your goal is to simulate reality as closely as possible, ads (or decals on a vehicle) are most certainly a part of that. Ads that I didn't ask for while browsing the internet are just obtrusive and annoying. Airplane or truck liveries are a key part of aviation or trucking. Ads in my browser most certainly aren't a key part of the internet experience I want to have.

Mind you, I'd hate a flight sim that would put random ads on my plane instead of genre-appropriate decals.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. G3rt

Guild Wars 2 characters: Norgothus (Norn Necromancer), Maggrivo (Charr Warrior)

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    Never go full Wulf.

Which is why I carefully screen mods before I install them.
    Computer security has just become too complex these days.

The real dangerous stuff is the one that wants and manages to be undetectable.

Quote Originally Posted by L_No View Post
    Totally different thing. If your goal is to simulate reality as closely as possible, ads (or decals on a vehicle) are most certainly a part of that.
    Oh, the "ultimate realism" argument. Let me dismantle that again, real quick:

First, simulation is constantly compromising realism for the sake of convenience. In most racing sims, you don't simulate the boring parts of racing, like, say, driving the car to the circuit, (self-counter: however there is an art that is making interesting games out of stuff that is boring IRL; Viscera Clean-up Detail says hi), you mostly focus on the stuff people really want.

And second, advertising IRL is just something you cannot avoid, not until augmented reality glasses cease being a cyberpunk fantasy. Exactly like driving your car to the track is something you need to put up with, if you want to race.

In truck sims, look at parking: using a wheel, docking the truck is one of the most engaging parts, requiring some skill because of the nature of the vehicle. For most other controllers, it's an exercise in frustration and a Press-to-Park button is provided.

The reason people want brands in their truck sims is because we live in a culture that has successfully legitimized the notion of Brands being A Good Thing(tm).

A huge part of marketing has to do with projecting a desirable image and positive values on brands, so that people want to acquire the branded product in order to achieve a perceived status and transfer said values onto themselves.

[ugly truth: driving a car of that brand simply makes you look like a pimp or an idiot to anyone who's not drunk the kool-aid; Shotglass once beautifully put it this way: "I don't want to drive a car that comes with prejudices about my own personality"; he eventually bought a Toyota MR2, guess one could see an irony in that, in a certain perspective.

And car advertising has really devolved into some ugly cesspool, so many ads focused on "breaking the rules" (I guess safety no longer is in), being the alpha dick that dominates the urban jungle (parking on sidewalks is just so manly, it makes me want to become a woman every time), and generally concentrate of the idea of being superior (like they don't all already have a superiority complex; ugly truth: you're a mediocre driver on your best day), or faster than everyone else (speed limits are for wimps who cannot drive), but I digress...]

The difference is purely in perception: Brands are Good, but Advertising is Bad; and on the web, it's certainly true, it's far less tasteful, less engaging and more pedestrian, than the best other media have to offer.

Manipulate the perception so that Advertising is now Good (as in: "PURE, UNADULTERATED REALISM!"). Trick done, now players value having advertising inside their games.

BTW, connection, about the huge power of brands; in the LFS scene you can see that stuff all day long, day in, day out. Some find absolutely intolerable, insufferable that the cars are not licensed; which reveals two things about how their minds work:

1) whether the car handles as a faithful reproduction of a certain real life car is at best of secondary importance: most likely they can't tell the difference anyway.
    2) that the car carries a coveted badge is of primary importance; failling that, their enjoyment is impaired.

This is what some would refer to as a "poser" mindset, in a different context: looks over function. I wouldn't go as far as to call it that: ultimately, everybody is driving the same car and there is no status or brand value being transferred onto the sim player - the basic psychological mechanism, however, is still at work even though the reward is missing.

Unfortunately, I think that's exactly what is called conditioning.

Also in football managers you see something similar with people who cannot enjoy a game, unless an arbitrary set of stats is called Cristiano Ronaldo or whoever's hot these days.

Is it the pleasure of owning stuff rather than the pleasure of doing stuff that is fun in itself? the football sim is only fun to them, if it's real team names and real players?

While it's obvious why a history buff would value the recreation of a certain setting in a strategy game, the same thing cannot be said about football. While on paper the idea of leading your favorite or home team, or assembling your dream team of stars can seem appealing, ultimately players cannot be faithfully reproduced in a football sim, it's just a hollow fantasy.
    Last edited by alms; 06-08-2017 at 10:35 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    You're over-analysing. People like pretending to drive real trucks and part of that is the environment looking real. Wanting real life brands in there is no different from wanting the fields to be full of sunflowers rather than "sunshineflowers" that look very similar but not quite the same.

This is me, politely asking that the title of the thread be returned to its original form, or at least updated in a less one-sided way. If you want to call it "Discussion of real brands in gaming" or the like that's fine.

Agreed, warping thread titles like that is just dickery.

XCM2 LNG WAR CP Campaign Long War novices Welcome, now with 100% more laser guns!

Quote Originally Posted by Sarfrin View Post
    You're over-analysing. People like pretending to drive real trucks and part of that is the environment looking real. Wanting real life brands in there is no different from wanting the fields to be full of sunflowers rather than "sunshineflowers" that look very similar but not quite the same.
    Sorry, but the environment and trucks, and cars too, already look like the real thing. You don't need specific names over objects that otherwise look and function the same, to sell that illusion.

People enjoyed ETS2 just as well, when the trucks were unlicensed. Not all of them though.

Marketing has shaped the collective conscience into making common sense out of the idea that prestigious brands must be "worth the money", and hefty premiums are readily paid no questions asked, and at the same time, otherwise functionally equivalent (as is patently obvious in this case) products that do not carry a cool logo and/or are priced according to a bang-for-buck strategy, are seen are inferior quality, knock-offs, stuff one should not buy.

That was the problem SCS was facing, people complaining that not having brands on their trucks somehow diminished their experience.
    Last edited by alms; 07-08-2017 at 12:07 AM.

This is me, politely asking that the title of the thread be returned to its original form, or at least updated in a less one-sided way. If you want to call it "Discussion of real brands in gaming" or the like that's fine.
    Honestly, I don't see anything wrong with this title. The change was motivated by the original topic running out of steam very quickly so that most of it is almost a different topic entirely.

Note, too, that that concept wasn't even floated by me in the first place:

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcompany View Post
    Its funny. Back when DXHR talked about adds in the game from all companies people threw a fit. Now, I WANT real-world logos.in my Truck.sim
    I'm changing it anyway, but I'm genuinely perplexed. edit: for the sake of those who may read this after the fact, and wonder, the title change added to "American Truck Simulator Mods" the following text "How advertising inside your games has become cool"

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Agreed, warping thread titles like that is just dickery.
    Are you even serious?
    Last edited by alms; 07-08-2017 at 12:04 AM.

Are you even serious?
    I get that a lot, deadly.