Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar

Oh Crap, Some Gamers Tried to Report Steam To Get It Banned Here

An international trade dispute in civilian sector may result in Steam getting officially banned here.

Okay I know the above statement is very confusing (forgive my poor English :P), and there is no English source on this news I could find, so let me try to give a brief report on WTF is going on over here. Oh, by here, I mean China.

Koei has a very popular series "the Romance of the Three Kingdoms", a turn-based strategy game. On the other hand, I bet you guys know 3DM, one of the well-known warez group here specializing in cracking PC games' DRM and offer free BT download (please don't give me an innocent look and tell us that you don't know 3DM as you don't know what are warez groups). Koei finally decided to act against piracy high-handedly and threaten to take legal action against 3DM for releasing 3DM cracked version of recently published Romance of the Three Kingdoms 13. 3DM refused to succumb to the threat, and justified its release by citing the very plain "fact" that the game, not available over here through official distribution, simply should be opened to any form of free transfer by whatever means, including, of course, the Internet. 3DM went on to declare that it would be continuing to crack and release any game software which is not officially distributed here.

My personal opinion, is that 3DM simply failed to justify its action:
    1. Com'n, you've cracked thousands of games, how many of them have not had retail release here?
    2. Romance of the Three Kingdoms 13 is released here through Steam. According to 3DM, Steam is not a licensed store. I mean, com'n, I don't use Steam, but I do know that Steam has a very solid customer base here. Plus, since when an online software store needs to apply for a license?

So here is the climax, some fans of 3DM, claiming themselves to be patriotic, declared that they will report Steam to the censorship department for selling game software here without proper business license. What the...... If you are a pirated gamer, that you download, install and go ahead to play the installed pirate game programmes, you are a theft. As simply as that. What the hell the moral high ground are you theft claiming?

And if you are truly patriotic, stop playing foreign developed games, start playing Chinese developed. Fact is, I know they won't. They are just using excuse to "legitimatize" piracy. According to their logic, if a computer programme is not offered here officially, it is not protected by any intellectual property right and is therefore opened to anyone's free access. I mean, their logic doesn't fit my common sense.

And of course, I feel for Valve, for not doing anything in the incident (except, of course, that it offers webspace for selling the Koei game). In Chinese Internet Slang, Valve "Gets Shot Even When Lying Down".

Eh, some countries fiercely guard their pirates. China has some brilliant protectionist laws, and the consequences of this are that you generate a resentment and contempt for foreign firms.

This is just the dogs barking.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    This is just the dogs barking.
    I hope that has an extra derogatory meaning to the Chinese. These people claim to be patriots, but all they're doing is confirming the worst stereotypes of China.

Hmm? More, the people complaining have been conditioned to complain. It's like America and people who protest Assault weapon bans, one of the corner stones of American law was to allow people personal weapons, because people hadn't forseen how remarkable personal weaponry would become, when England forced the mills into industry, or cut and run on slavery while still soaking profits or Rome redistributed their statemindedness or the cold war duo weaponised the entire world out of fear their ideology would be less popular.

These things all had clear and obvious repercussions, and breeding in a kind of casual racism and contempt for market forces was always going to kick off like this, and will continue to segregate China from 'RoW' .

Well, most gamers here play only games they have true legitimate access to. I for one do not play pirated game, so as most of my friends.

Problem is those thieves, though minority, can "persuade" the authority to ban Steam. Yes, I am not aware of any legal foundation to require licensing for running online software store, but then our authority doesn't need to have so to ban one. It says your business is illegal, then it is illegal. Our Culture Ministry is powerful enough to act like the Judge Dredd, "I am, THE LAW!!"

Banning of the Steam has very profound effect on game market here. Even I don't buy game directly from Steam, there are enough games in disc version protected by Steam. Say, you would see a sudden disappearance of thousands of Call of Duty players for those COD titles protected by Steam, and if my information is correct, CODs since Modern Warfare 2 are Steam protected.

And yes, this obviously is by nature a protectionist move. I wonder what WTO would rule on this anticipated ban. Right now the government hasn't made any comment, but, I know this government well that those pig-like bureaucrats rarely surprise me.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    So here is the climax, some fans of 3DM, claiming themselves to be patriotic, declared that they will report Steam to the censorship department for selling game software here without proper business license.
    Ok, but are Steam doing that? My guess is no.

So, a bunch of people doing illegal stuff, are reporting a company who may or may not be doing illegal stuff.

It might be a warped Western view, but if China wanted to ban Steam for "selling without a license" wouldn't they have done it a long time ago? Aren't they pretty up to date on banning websites they don't want their citizens using?
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

I only have one question: how does one become a pirated gamer? I imagine it involves illegally acquiring biological material containing a full copy of the DNA?

(sorry couldn't resist :P)
    The Onward March of Bundles - filling your backlog since 1911
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    I find it more bizarre that there's 13 games on the Romance of the Three Kingdoms series that keep on selling. Do they have the same plot, just with updated graphics like sports games?
    Hell, that's like making a game about shooting people over and over again, and releasing 12 versions...
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wenz View Post
    Bin the .exes to get it high.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
    According to their logic, if a computer programme is not offered here officially, it is not protected by any intellectual property right and is therefore opened to anyone's free access. I mean, their logic doesn't fit my common sense.
    I think the argument is that if you have no way to legally buy the game then you're not depriving the company of any income by pirating it. In other words, if you won't let me buy your game, don't complain if I get it some other way.

Activated Node
    I may know a friend who pirated FFVII when the only other way to play it was spending around 80USD on a secondhand copy that wouldn't have benefited the developer anyway (he later bought a copy when it became widely available). So I guess I could understand pirating a game if that's just the most simple and reasonable way, but I don't really see it if it's on Steam and in the local languages.

please don't give me an innocent look and tell us that you don't know 3DM
    I don't know 3DM.

Those thieves tried to bring the issue to controversy, only that they have failed to. Yes, if a software cannot be bought in a country legal, there may or may not be pirating to begin with. That line is fuzzy and I am no legal expert to lead a serious discussion on that.

Except that in this case, there is absolutely no such controversy to begin with. Steam is doing business here LEGAL AND SOUND, as simple as that. Any attempt to crack Steam exclusives (in the sense that those titles are only available with Steam DRM no matter which versions they are in) are outright thievery, right here in China. But as I said, the Culture Ministry is the Judge Dredd. When it says your act is illegal, your act is illegal, there is no need for support from any legislation because "I am, THE LAW!"

In their perception of rule of law, if they want to enslave you, they simply write into the law that you are their slaves so then you are legally their slaves. So don't try to communicate with them, at least not in language of civilized human beings. They speak in different channel and belong to a different universe from us.

And for the record, they don't represent most Chinese. Otherwise, why would I, a common Chinese be complaining against them? It's just damn pathetic that they are the one in power and may lead the country in their favor.

Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    I only have one question: how does one become a pirated gamer? I imagine it involves illegally acquiring biological material containing a full copy of the DNA?

(sorry couldn't resist :P)
    Oh my friends in the British Navy who have just returned from their tours in Caribbean told me that they had witnessed some pirates who seemed to be immortal, so it sounds cool to be pirated beings?

No wait, what year is now? 2016? Isn't now 1710?...

Okay seriously, forgive my poor English please, I don't have good habit of proof reading my writings. My bosses are always mad at me about this.

Don't change Squirrel.

Your final three sentences in that previous post are remarkably entertaining to read, Squirrel. Thank you. :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Eight Rooks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    I find it more bizarre that there's 13 games on the Romance of the Three Kingdoms series that keep on selling. Do they have the same plot, just with updated graphics like sports games?
    Hell, that's like making a game about shooting people over and over again, and releasing 12 versions...
    Dynasty Warriors must be well past 13 games now, if you count the spin-offs. RoTK is actually a pretty fun read, though, and with the historical and cultural significance and how easy the games are to get into it's not hard to see why they keep selling. I'd buy more of Tecmo Koei's games if they didn't treat the PC with such contempt most of the time (DQH is a good port, mind you). Anyway, O/T.
    Smashwords (my stories) | Steam | Twitter | Wattpad (my stories)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    And for the record, they don't represent most Chinese.
    Don't worry, it's like every single government in the world.

This confirms my suspicion: That pirates think through the goal first, and the justification second. Rather than "There's no official release, I guess I'll pirate it", it's "I'll pirate it, and once I discover no easy way to buy it that forms an easy justification." Attempting to blacklist Steam makes it easier to think that way. It's like an ISP starving an area of the market of alternative internet providers, and then when accused of being a monopoly, claiming "You should be thankful we're willing to provide service here when no one else is."

Okay seriously, forgive my poor English please, I don't have good habit of proof reading my writings. My bosses are always mad at me about this.
    Not so much poor English, in my eyes, rather one of those entertaining typos!
    The Onward March of Bundles - filling your backlog since 1911
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    So apparently now 3DM are calling it quits after failing to crack Just Cause 3.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    So apparently now 3DM are calling it quits after failing to crack Just Cause 3.
    I dont know if this is really the reason, but 3DM did announced that they would cease pirating the singleplayer games for a year, saying they would be showing the world that drop in sales of PC games have nothing to do with pirating.

And for now they offer no comment on their fanboys' action against Steam, and stressed that they are targeting Koei for selling unfinished products and recycled stuffs with inflated prices. Yes, as you guys have pointed out, Romance of Three Kingdoms have no new elements throughout the series yet Koei keeps making new titles with recycled materials.

I look down on Koei too, so I simply quit playing Koei's game for long.

Speaking of which, is it a coincidence that warez groups like Reloaded and Skidrow have been pretty less active since last year?