Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Grow Up: Sequel to Grow Home released

And it's a budget priced title on steam again, 7.99, lower than many Indies dare start.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/426790/

You an skim a little more off the price if you shop around though. Has anyone picked it up?

A month old E3 trailer.
    Last edited by Heliocentric; 17-08-2016 at 10:26 PM.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

I've got some other games to play first but I'll eventually pick it up if it doesn't require Uplay. I'm curious to see how the climbing expands. Grow Home was supposedly a test for the bigger Ubisoft game but I figured there was no way we'd ever see the climbing outside smaller things like this. Taking up 2 shoulder buttons is a no no.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by gordianblot View Post
    I've got some other games to play first but I'll eventually pick it up if it doesn't require Uplay.
    It doesn't, so I've put it on my wishlist. At the bottom though.
    Resident graphics snob.

And remember: Bad practices often become a trend, if not dealt with promptly.

I've added it to my wishlist, but I'm waiting for a WIT to get a better idea of what to expect. I haven't read yet the Hands On RPS published earlier this month, however it's from the same person who wrote the Starbound WIT which, coming from first-hand experience of the game, I didn't appreciate particularly.

I've got some other games to play first but I'll eventually pick it up if it doesn't require Uplay.
    The first game didn't, I can see no indication of 3rd party DRM on the store page of Grow Up either.
    The Onward March of Bundles - filling your backlog since 1911. For a list of active deals, and more, click here.
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EPICTHEFAIL's Avatar
    That was quick, usually these things take months to go from announcement to launch. I remember liking the original and yet being opposed to a sequel, mostly because I liked the original for its beautiful simplicity and brevity and couldn't imagine Ubisoft making it bigger and better (as a sequel must be, in order to avoid getting laughed out of the room) without just making it bloated and unwieldy like they've done with all of their other properties. Was I right? Dunno, waiting for reviews.

Since the games are made by Reflections, in what seems a relative independence from Ubi, I'd be more concerned that the game might not actually go much past more of the same. For the asking price and considering how lovely the experience of the first game was, that may actually be enough though.

The Hands On is titled "a edit: confident sequel" FWIW.
    Last edited by alms; 18-08-2016 at 12:08 AM.
    The Onward March of Bundles - filling your backlog since 1911. For a list of active deals, and more, click here.
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Thanks for the heads-up, Helio. The first was lovely, I'll grab this as soon as I've got a few minutes to give it.

Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    Thanks for the heads-up, Helio. The first was lovely, I'll grab this as soon as I've got a few minutes to give it.
    *tips cap* NMS soaked up all the coverage juice lately, I'm currently on a self imposed buy ban, but I might break it to spend some more time with Bud.
    Taking up 2 shoulder buttons is a no no.
    I wish the climbing was this well developed elsewhere, maybe with a Shadow of the Colossus/Dragon's Dogma/I am Bread style grip meter should be the status quo.
    Last edited by Heliocentric; 18-08-2016 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    *tips cap* NMS soaked up all the coverage juice lately, I'm currently on a self imposed buy ban, but I might break it to spend some more tie with Bud.
    Yup, I think I'm just going to go ahead and get it. I had a ton of fun with the first, it's the kind of relaxing light exploration game that's exactly what I need right now.

Well, if you haven't read the Hands on already, then don't.

There does seem to be more of the same, but you probably will want to find out for yourself, instead of having the pleasure of discovery butchered.

I wish the climbing was this well developed elsewhere, maybe with a Shadow of the Colossus/Dragon's Dogma/I am Bread style grip meter should be the status quo.
    I think the climbing in Grow Home is great. It's just that Ubisoft designs games around gamepads and shoulder buttons are valuable real estate: killing things, gas pedals and turbo boosts.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I think I should finally finish Grow Home. I've stopped playing because I've feared I would finish it too fast. It worked I guess.

I think the climbing in Grow Home is great. It's just that Ubisoft designs games around gamepads and shoulder buttons are valuable real estate: killing things, gas pedals and turbo boosts.
    Designing control scheme for gamepad is such a joy.

Ok, I'll leave right now.

As long as there's no targeting/shooting involved i'm absolutely fine with using a gamepad.
    Got Grow Home in my library, never played it - once i come around to play and finish it
    it's very likely i can and will pick up Grow Up on discount :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...-up-pc-review/

Hrm, I don't disagree on many points, the new game feels rather unfocused and some of the additions seem useless/annoying. Regardless, it is still a game about a little robot climbing and falling in a charming environment, so while the game is not taking him anywhere too interesting, it is hardly unpleasant experience either.

Anybody heard from Mr Centric? I'm slightly concerned for John's well-being.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    Anybody heard from Mr Centric? I'm slightly concerned for John's well-being.
    He's not posting, so not carefully providing us with a credible alibi. I think that means John gets to live. This time.

Yes, I have​ seen too many episodes of Midsommer Murders lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Jurple View Post
    Yes, I have​ seen too many episodes of Midsommer Murders lately.
    In most episodes of Midsomer Murders there is more than one murder, so after John, who's next....?
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Throatwobbler Mangrove

Guild Wars 2 characters: Norgothus (Norn Necromancer), Maggrivo (Charr Warrior)

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    Never go full Wulf.

I assumed John Walker being wrong was the accepted logic?

I'm currently trying to figure out a 'hard mode' for GU, I think it revolves around picking up no upgrades, no crystals and curtailing certain plants.

He's not really all that wrong, though. It's more Grow Home, which is great, but it's pretty slight from a content standpoint and there isn't much new about it. The challenges are kind of awful, thanks to the still-wonky camera, and it's entirely too easy to accidentally blow past huge swaths of challenge with the very powerful, very early upgrades.

Mind you, it's still lovely, and still a lot of fun, but there's plenty to criticize here.

I assumed John Walker being wrong was the accepted logic?
    Only in R'lyeh?

Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    Mind you, it's still lovely, and still a lot of fun, but there's plenty to criticize here.
    That's the theme of the WIT - I love this / I hate to be saying this but... Pretty "ouch!" though:

It is, ostensibly, exactly the same game but with Ubisoft Disease – the condition that causes a game to come with a map covered in icons. And more of the lovely Grow Home is really no bad thing! But I struggle to get past how there’s not a glimmer of further inspiration or innovation on display.