Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus

"I don't like what you like and that's amazing." - On diverging tastes in videogames

This happens to me WAY more than it probably should but I figure I can't be completely alone and maybe I'm just missing something - so I thought I'd start this thread hoping that people will

a - share their similar experiences in other games
    b - offer guidance on where we're going wrong if possible OR
    c - commiserate with us that they too found the suck

I'll start with!

Witcher 2
    I mostly enjoyed Witcher 1, tho never completed it (too much fetch questy shit). I knew there was a reason I'd not gotten past the tutorial in Witcher 2 but couldn't remember what it was - so I replayed it tonight and my GOD do the controls STINK!

I think they're the worst controls I've used in a game in a decade - even if we ignore the fact that the game twice stopped responsing to ANY inputs whatsoever (and frequently ignored others), they're awful even when they're working!?

Keyboard and Mouse - WASD movement and the whole number bar for skills - really? REALLY?

It's pretty obvious they'd rather you use controller - but that's really no better because the "quick wheel" menu is clumsy-as-hell - to the point of being almost unusable!?

Both control systems feel laggy and unresponsive - character control is woolly - targetting is absolutely tragic - it's like controlling a puppet-show when you're pissed?

I'd kinda assumed I'd pickup Witcher 3 at some point but after this I'm thinking "actually no"??

I didn't hate The Witcher 2, but I wasn't crazy about it either.

It wasn't the controls for me. They've got some heft to them, which I think is fine. CDPR just didn't present the controls as well as Dark Souls, which has a much more diverse range of attack speeds and damage rates (and admittedly, has a bit tighter acceleration).

The biggest thing for me was the hit detection being inconsistent, particularly for the more unique enemies. If you're going to be one of those "getting hit really counts" games, every hit has to feel earned. The other thing that wore on me was how hit sponge-y the enemies were. It's like when CDPR couldn't find a good way to make an enemy put up a fight, they just gave it more HP.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    I had this exact experience with the Witcher 2, and I do mean this exact experience. In retrospect it was a terrible waste of money (I bought it new when it came out) but at least it's a reliable way to talk myself out of picking up the Witcher 3. All I have to do is play ten minutes of 2 and any interest is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    Both control systems feel laggy and unresponsive - character control is woolly - targetting is absolutely tragic - it's like controlling a puppet-show when you're pissed?
    I have noticed, when I've gone back to the game, that since they introduced the "tutorial" arena and made a few other "fixes" that the combat is much more laggy and unresponsive than it was when I first played it. My brother confirmed that this is true for him as well. I'm not sure what the cause was, but I swear that when I played through the first time, the combat was reasonably fluid.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BillButNotBen's Avatar
    Haven't played that game, but this seems to be a case of one specific part of the game annoying you.

Of all the things I've heard praised about The Witcher 2, the combat was never ones of them. For some people, if one (or more) elements are great, they'll overlook flaws in other areas. For other people the one (or more) flaws will ruin the experience, no matter how good other elements are.

And different things bug different people.

I find that people's disagreements about a game often boil down to different priorities leading to different impact of one small point.

For me, recently, it tends to be making me replay things. Even if the game is amazing, if it's structure makes me endlessly replay a section then I'm going to hate it.
    I might understand why others like it, but that one thing is enough to make the rest of the game irrelevant.
    Last edited by BillButNotBen; 21-05-2016 at 08:46 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The level design in Witcher 2 was also extremely not great. It was a bunch of small arenas that never let you get distance from your enemy; especially kludgy in the kracken fight.

I felt this way about Gratuitous Space Battles, Sanctum, Terraria and Organ Trail.
    Last edited by Internet; 21-05-2016 at 06:47 AM.

I wouldn't say TW2 was widely loved, that's more TW3's thing. Best thing TW2 had going for it was the graphics, and it does still look fantastic.
    ~

@op usually it's shooters.

I suggest you develop a healthy suspicion of the people who keep recommending games you dislike.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    I seem to recall I played The Witcher 2 on the easiest difficulty because of similar issues.

I've also had this experience with Europa Universalis IV. I played a couple of games of it, but more often than not felt I barely had any agency while arbitrary numbers had to go up one or two per turn before I could do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Xzi View Post
    I wouldn't say TW2 was widely loved, that's more TW3's thing.
    The Witcher 2 jumped right on the 'Bioware did what?!'-train by being released mere weeks after Dragon Age II. All throughout the next year these two games were constantly compared, mostly in favour of The Witcher.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Eight Rooks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tritagonist View Post
    The Witcher 2 jumped right on the 'Bioware did what?!'-train by being released mere weeks after Dragon Age II. All throughout the next year these two games were constantly compared, mostly in favour of The Witcher.
    Oh, so much this. I still remember the NeoGAF thread with people gleefully posting screenshots from each game in the run-up to TW2's release. To be fair to them, they had good cause, arguably (and Dragon Age II is one of my favourite games of all time), but jeez, the smug PC Master Race back-slapping was nigh-on unbearable.

But TW2 was always a fairly simple hack'n'slash under the admittedly very pretty visuals and storytelling, and TW3 wasn't that different. It's as if CDP wanted to mix straightforward button-mashing with more "realistic", weighty movement (because grimdark medievalism) and didn't really understand how to go about it. Calling it unplayable is, well, stretching it somewhat, but that part of the game certainly wasn't a selling point, and I don't remember even the hardcore fans rhapsodising about it. I beat TW2 before it was patched (bought it day one) and never had any real problems with TW3, but I can totally understand someone being driven away by the combat, even so.
    Smashwords (free stories I wrote) | Steam | Tumblr (reviews, games crit etc.)

After playing tw2's demo I simply ignored the series, I guess it will keep me away from C77 as well.
    Last edited by Wenz; 21-05-2016 at 12:02 PM.

Alpha Protocol: it's not universally liked, but some people rave about it. I played it for a few hours but couldn't make it stick. It might have been better in first-person... since it would basically be Deus Ex. As it was, it felt like Mass Effect (the first) with even worse controls (for mouse and keyboard) and messier combat.

Oh, and The Witcher 2 is one of the best games that I've played this year (in preparation for embarking on The Witcher 3). The combat was mostly pants though. I played in on the easiest setting, since that wasn't what I was playing it for, which meant that all combat against a single opponent involved backing them into a corner and slashing them until they died or gave up.
    Last edited by rsherhod; 21-05-2016 at 10:40 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BillButNotBen's Avatar
    Maybe because I've never played an RPG with decent combat, I don't tend to expect them to have decent combat and I don't get disappointed when they have bad combat.

maybe you'll like undertale, much like deus ex you play a parent and befriend things to avoid rpg progression crap in favour of bullet hell stuff. Obscure items are literal so throwing dog feces and brandishing plastic knives doesn't actually help in combat....I think. Didn't work in late game for me. Against bosses. Equips are ridiculous as ever but yeah you don't actually need them if you choose to have self respect and go do some mercy.
    Last edited by Wenz; 21-05-2016 at 12:03 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Fallout, Metro and most, if not all, post-apocalyptic games. The dull, depressing setting just isn't for me. If you're presenting me a downer of story, don't do it by looking just as awful. Better do it like Life Is Strange, otherwise it's too much to swallow for me, I've come to learn about myself. There might be a great game underneath (which there often isn't actually), but it's unbearable to me, and sucks the enjoyment right out of it.

I gave up playing Fallout 3 while roaming the wasteland with nothing really to do, and was asking myself: "Why even bother?". I tried to stick with Metro 2033, but pretty early on you go down the all-brown, muddy sewers (how imaginative) fighting monster dogs. So then I got just a tiny little bit stuck on a forced objective, ran out of ammo, and again I was asking myself: "Why bother with this?".
    Last edited by DanMan; 21-05-2016 at 11:40 AM.
    Resident graphics snob.

And remember: Bad practices often become a trend, if not dealt with promptly.

^have you tried oxenfree? Not so great to play just like LiS tho

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Wenz View Post
    ^have you tried oxenfree? Not so great to play just like LiS tho
    First time I've heard of it. It's not that I'm on the lookout for Walk'N'Talk games, but it looks intriguing, thanks.
    Resident graphics snob.

And remember: Bad practices often become a trend, if not dealt with promptly.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by BillButNotBen View Post
    Haven't played that game, but this seems to be a case of one specific part of the game annoying you. .
    Control of movement and combat is a fairly big - and absolutely unavoidable - part of a game!?

Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    I felt this way about Gratuitous Space Battles, Sanctum, Terraria and Organ Trail.
    I tried SO hard to get into GSB - the idea really appealed but the game never clicked.

I actually bought-into it's Beta and I think that might be the issue - the game was BALLS HARD in Beta, as-in you'd be mercilessly murdered even on the first level, over and over.

The released game was SO easy by comparison that I kinda bounced-off it at that point.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    much like deus ex
    Deus Ex, yeah. I've absolutely loathed that I'm special agent that sucks at everything unless agumented.

Every Infinity Engine game. Baldur is just boring and playing it back then when you had to swap CDs everytime... ughhhhh, no.
    I've played some Torment and I couldn't stand bullshit quests.