Obscure Node

What should I play?

I really liked Dominions 4 and Conquest of Elysium 4, but I cannot dedicate time to them anymore I feel like I'm missing out on other games. I loved their deepness, in particular that of Dominions 4, which seemed like a bottomless pit sometimes. And that's what frustrates me; I loved Dominions' fluff, but there's so much of it, that not being able to take it all in just makes me go mad, as I'm kind of a completionist and want to learn everything of a game. As I get older, free-time is becoming more and more a luxury item so I must choose my games wisely.

What do I want from the game I'm looking for?

- Deepness in mechanics, I like learning stuff and be surprised by the game even after some time I got acquainted with it.
    - To have some kind of background fluff that can make me immersed, but not to be bottomless, like Dominions 4.
    - I'd like it to be of fantasy genre. If it's of a dark and sinister kind I like it even more. But I like cheery stuff too.
    - If it has multiplayer, even better. I love some multiplayer shenanigans where maybe some diplomacy is involved.

Does a game like this exist or I'm forever bound to be sad?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar

Solium is a wonderful fit if you can dig into some PBEM multi-player, if you cant, I need to go a little off piste, but bare with me.

(links are steam)
    Renowned Explorers is a single player venture, a roguelike with an odd battle system which startled me with it'd depth, the "diplomacy" is extremely abstracted but that is why I like it.

Sid Meier's Railroads!, it's extremely tactile, maybe I should be recommending Off-world Trading Company which is this games obvious successor, but I haven't played that yet. You are trying to purchase your opponent, how much you overcommit to each gambit runs throughout the bout, and the world is steadily taken over by your rails.

Black Closet Hand drawn still, all girl highscool drama... wait no come back! Its actually a mad dark strategy game, but you are not battling monsters at night, or desperately trying to raise your Princesses' eligibility to marry, you are instead tackling plausible political machinations of the 1% and the schools efforts to protect it's reputation, whatever the cost.
    Last edited by Heliocentric; 25-07-2016 at 01:09 AM.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Last edited by cardinaldirection; Today at 06:57 AM.
    Rock, Pen&Paper, Shotgun

"the operator of toast is a person"

Network Hub
    What games in this genre have you played? I use sites like mobygames to help me look for titles i might have missed, you can sort by various categories etc:

https://www.mobygames.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Black Closet Hand drawn still, all girl highscool drama... wait no come back! Its actually a mad dark strategy game, but you are not battling monsters at night, or desperately trying to raise your Princesses' eligibility to marry, you are instead tackling plausible political machinations of the 1% and the schools efforts to protect it's reputation, whatever the cost.
    Whatever. The. Cost.