Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus

So these Steam Awards then...

Firstly - no Steam Sale thread!? Says quite a lot doesn't it? :)

These Awards tho, is anyone nominating any games? - does anyone want to prod others into doing so??

I struggle with this stuff - it's a novel approach they've taken but I have a feeling the end result will be the same shortlist of 'everyone loves it' games which moves us nowhere in terms of discovery or finding interesting new games??

What am I not nominating that I should be or - indeed - missing in general here?

I've tried nominating lesser known games that I love like Consortium, Sword of the Stars and the like. The only category I nominated a well known game was Monkey island for "best use of a farm animal" because it's clearly a category specifically made for the chicken with a pulley in the middle.
    I doubt it'll make any difference in the end but I guess I would've wasted those 5 minutes in another meaningless thing anyway.

I took the oportunity of the 'We didn't think of everything' category to be cheeky and nominate Deus Ex GOTY (the original) for the 'The Citizen Kane of Videogames' award. :-p

For the other categories, it was just a matter of shoehorning some of my all-time favourite games as best as I could (ie, System Shock Enhanced Edition as 'The Game Within A Game Award' even though anybody knows that the cyberspace sections are a bit meh; System Shock 2, of course, for 'The Villain Most In Need Of A Hug Award'; Little Big Adventure for 'The Best Use Of A Farm Animal Award' just because I can...).

Quote Originally Posted by Korth View Post
    I took the oportunity of the 'We didn't think of everything' category to be cheeky and nominate Deus Ex GOTY (the original) for the 'The Citizen Kane of Videogames' award. :-p
    If only had I knew of this yesterday I would've done the same

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    If only had I knew of this yesterday I would've done the same
    I believe you can go back and change your votes.

Some are using the write-in as a chance to knock various games, like nominating No Man's Sky for "Best Refund." I almost want No Man's Sky to 'win' the write-in slot, just to see what category Valve ultimately assigns it (as it won't be anything negative) while knowing that it probably got a good chunk of its write in votes for negative reasons.

I put up Owlboy for "best use of a farm animal" even though I'm not sure if an Owl qualifies as a farm animal.

Best game within a game: New Retro Arcade, duh.
    ~

saw this come up in my news feed : http://steamed.kotaku.com/the-funnie...ons-1789327396

my personal favourite from the list was the "Challenger Award" for NMS, because it had "the most catastrophic launch".

That said, I haven't voted any in myself.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    I gave witcher 3 game in game award

but i like Korth suggestion.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'm with the "Citizen Kane of games" award - but only if it reflects that massive plot issue(*) as well as the revolutionary format.

(*) Spoilered obv. The entire plot of CK revolves around a word spoken by a man before he dies and there's NO-ONE THERE TO HEAR IT!?

Oh my god, JC Rosebud!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Krathor's Avatar
    If someone posts a decently-justified list, I will likely just copy it for mine. I can't believe they've just let anyone vote for anything for all of the categories.
    Guild Wars 2:

Main character name is Seigous Bearheart. I also play on Duke Witherheart. And Lindenheart.

My GW2 blog that you can follow on Twitter.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BillButNotBen's Avatar
    It's too open and at the same time too constrained.
    If it was just the best games ever, I could come up with that pretty easily.
    If it was the best games (in categories) this year, that'd be pretty easy.
    But I can't be bothered trying to think back for what was the best game I've ever played in a specific category and then search for that game and see if it's on steam.
    Plus about 5 of my "best games ever" would go in one category, but then I can't think of anything for several other categories. And of those 5 games, some might be better games, but others might be a better fit for that category.
    meh...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by BillButNotBen View Post
    It's too open and at the same time too constrained.
    If it was just the best games ever, I could come up with that pretty easily.
    If it was the best games (in categories) this year, that'd be pretty easy.
    But I can't be bothered trying to think back for what was the best game I've ever played in a specific category and then search for that game and see if it's on steam.
    Plus about 5 of my "best games ever" would go in one category, but then I can't think of anything for several other categories. And of those 5 games, some might be better games, but others might be a better fit for that category.
    meh...
    You're supposed to browse the shop. Nothing else, really.

Some are pretty easy to find games for (like Rocksmith = Test of Time), others I'm drawing a complete blank (best use of farm animal). "Villain in most need of a hug" is intriguing, but also hard to think of something. Especially because I try to nominate stuff that I've actually played.

P.S.: Yes, you can revoke your choice.

So far, I've got these:

Could have called it "That's a first" or "Now, there's a thing you don't see every day".
    Last edited by DanMan; 26-11-2016 at 01:51 PM.
    Resident graphics snob.

And remember: Bad practices often become a trend, if not dealt with promptly.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    I haven't played many games recently, and I figured I'd nominate some games to rediscover my library somewhat.

For what it's worth, this is how I arranged them:

• The "Test of Time" Award - TrackMania 2: Stadium
    • The “I'm Not Crying, There's Something In My Eye” Award - Batman: Arkham Knight
    • The “Just 5 More Minutes” Award - Civilization V
    • The “Whoooaaaaaaa, dude!” Award - Saints Row IV
    • The “Villain Most In Need Of A Hug” Award - Hitman: Absolution
    • The “Game Within A Game” Award - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
    • The “I Thought This Game Was Cool Before It Won An Award” Award - Kerbal Space Program
    • The “Best Use Of A Farm Animal” Award - FootLOL: Epic Fail League
    • The “Katsarelis & Haber Encouragement” Award - Cities: Skylines

If play statistics are anything to go by, there should be little doubt that Valve's own stock is going to sweep the awards. Still, if they end up presenting something like the top five it could still end up giving some pointers for this year's Christmas sale.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    To be honest I'm finding it difficult to find something for the game within a game award. Also I'm guessing most people are going to put Goat Simulator for the Farm Animal Award.

It's just a bit of silly Steam sale fun, which I'm all in favour of. I also like making lists, so these are my choices. I decided to limit it to only games I have in my Steam library, with one exception.

Test of time - ADOM. First played it over 16 years ago, so this was an easy one.

I'm not crying - To The Moon. Only game that has ever put a tear in my eye.

Just 5 more minutes - Tropico 4. Always hard to leave my nice relaxing tropical paradise.

Whoooaaaaaaa, dude - Life Is Strange. There was one particular moment where I had exactly that reaction. Well, my slightly more restrained version of it.

Villain most in need of a hug - Undertale. For obvious spoilery reasons.

Game within a game - Anachronox. Not currently in my library, but I couldn't think of anything else I've played recently that has games within the game. Anachronox has standard RPG minigames and also at least 2 arcade games I can think of. Also my favouritest game of all time, so had to find a place for it.

Thought this game was cool before the award - Her Story. Not many games I get around to playing before awards season, but this was one.

Best farm animal - Worms Reloaded. Had the concrete donkey in mind.

Best way to spoil a good walking simulator - The Golf Club. Best pun I could think of, and have been playing this loads recently.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    To be honest I'm finding it difficult to find something for the game within a game award. Also I'm guessing most people are going to put Goat Simulator for the Farm Animal Award.
    It is surprisingly hard to remember those games that had an amazing game inside them.

I know that there are games where I spent more time on some minigame than the main game itself, but I just can't remember what those titles were. I think I ended up putting The Witcher 3 for Gwent, which feels kind of like cheating because I know it wouldn't be my choice if I could simply remember....

My actual, almost random, picks:
    Test of Time: Drox Operative
    I'm Not Crying: Saints Row The Third (didn't really cry, but it had some unexpected touching moments)
    Just 5 More Minutes: Infested Planet (not the best, but didn't think of better)
    Whoa, Dude: Dragon's Dogma (no amazing twist, just taking competently good to an amazing degree)
    Villain Most in Need of a Hug: Skullgirls (Marie needs a hug)
    Game Within a Game: Witcher 3 (default choice because I couldn't remember anything else)
    Cool Before It Won: Broforce
    Farm Animal: Wand Wars
    Write-In: "Better Than Anyone Expected" - DOOM
    Last edited by Baines; 26-11-2016 at 09:48 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    It is surprisingly hard to remember those games that had an amazing game inside them.
    I can think of two but they are console games...

As for my list:

Test of Time: Elder Scrolls Morrowind, the only one I can think of that I just go back to again and again so its a must.

I'm not crying: Final Fantasy 7...yeah its obvious and may not be totally true but the only other one I could think of was X which isn't on Steam.

5 more Minutes: Crusader Kings 2 I have 200 hours in that game and played it addictavly so its the only contender even though Civ is also the obvious choice.

Whooaaah Dude: Kind of a hard one since I am actually not one of those people that mindlessly does this for your FPS or "Epic Games" so I just did a game where I went oooooo thats great and so went for Portal which is kind of obvious for that.

Villain in Need of a Hug: Monkey Island 2: Lechucks Revenge. Thought it was kind of a funny choice.

(If I could choose this game for Game within a game it would be Shenmue, that arcade was a lot of fun)

I thought this game was cool: Another tough one, but I chose LOTRO cause I remember being on it a bit before a lot of people came on it and it became FTP.

Best Use of a Farm Animal: Monky Island, couldn't think of anything so stole the person up top.

My award is: ​Underrated Multiplayer Game that died before its Time: ​Brink - I loved the 4 months I got out of the multiplayer of this game and feel sad that you can't play it anymore.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Spacewalk's Avatar
    Here's mine:

Test of Time — Ultimate Doom
    I'm Not Crying, There's Something In My Eye — Saints Row IV
    Just 5 More Minutes — Broforce
    Whoooaaaaaaa, dude! — Antichamber
    Villain Most In Need Of A Hug — Vampire: The Masquerade
    Game Within A Game — Day of the Tentacle Remastered (stealth Maniac Mansion nomination)
    I Thought This Game Was Cool Before It Won An Award — CONSORTIUM
    Best Use Of A Farm Animal — HeXen II
    Best 4th July Ever — EARTH DEFENSE FORCE 4.1

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Test of time - Deus Ex
    I'm not crying, there's something in my eye - The Walking Dead Season 1
    Just 5 more minutes - Civ 5
    Whoooaaaaaaa, dude! - Dark Souls 3
    Villain most in need of a hug - Borderlands 2
    Best use of a farm animal - Goat Simulator

Didn't vote on any other category as yet because I can't think of anything.