Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Overwatch Hype

Overwatch Hype

Anyone else excited about the release of Overwatch in December?

The game so far seems quite shallow, but a lot of fun and if they add more heroes to it, it might actually become pretty deep in terms of competitive play. The time to kill seems to be soewhere between 2 and 6 seconds, which should allow for some pretty skill-based gameplay (compared to cough cod cough)

Also tracers butt ... hmmmm.. blizzard sure knows how to model ladies bottoms^^

Anyone already in the beta?

Yup. Super hyped, but also disappointed at no beta invite yet.

It seems like an old-school beta for actually fixing bugs rather than a stress test for servers; would explain why so few have actually got in.

I'm on the lookout for a new go-to multiplayer game to fill in for Team Fortress 2 (Rocket League is temporarily filling that gap) and the candidates are down to this and Dirty Bomb.

No/1786199348

I really want to play it, but hype is not productive.

Quote Originally Posted by AlienPWNers View Post
    the release of Overwatch in December
    There is no announced release date, or business model, or concrete information about future beta plans besides the invite-only stress test weekends.

With 7 million beta signups, the odds of getting in are terrible. Blizzard's success in other genres is probably responsible for this, but how many of those players are serious about competitive team objective FPS games? I'm skeptical.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobtree View Post
    I really want to play it, but hype is not productive.

There is no announced release date, or business model, or concrete information about future beta plans besides the invite-only stress test weekends.

With 7 million beta signups, the odds of getting in are terrible. Blizzard's success in other genres is probably responsible for this, but how many of those players are serious about competitive team objective FPS games? I'm skeptical.
    Probably next to none, but then they're probably just looking to have fun, like the majority of people who play any FPS. Look at how many people play all the CS games, how many of them are serious about playing that in a competitive manner?

There'll be the competitive scene for any game that people want there to be one for, like Binding of Isaac, a roguelike that has no multiplayer at all but still has year round competitions built on simultaneous racing.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

It was a rhetorical question.

When I say competitive, I'm not talking about esports participation. I mean the core game design being knife-edge contentious and entirely dependent on player skill and team coordination with no gameplay-altering unlocks.

CS is a fine example because it's grown a huge playerbase and hasn't compromised the core competitive qualities, unlike TF2.

LOL and Dota 2 would be comparable too and they do just fine. And games in those go on much longer than a 10 minute round of an FPS.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

My point was about Blizzard's very large non-FPS playerbase. Starcraft 2 is competitive and popular, so will those players also like Overwatch? I would not assume so.

My point was about Blizzard's very large non-FPS playerbase.
    It's interesting that you mention this. I would consider myself a fairly big fan of shooters in general, and this is the first game made by Blizzard that I've paid any serious attention to.

Then again, that's probably a major reason why Blizzard decided to develop this game: there's a huge market for FPS games which up until now was a big gap on their commercial CV.

I'll give it a shot, but I don't expect much. Seems too muddled to be a good shooter, and the balance between different characters is sure to be terrible for a while.
    ~∆

My point was about Blizzard's very large non-FPS playerbase. Starcraft 2 is competitive and popular, so will those players also like Overwatch? I would not assume so.
    It's a last trend game because of some moba part or something. You'll likely won't have to be that good at shooting and learn to drop your skill thing when requested.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus apricotsoup's Avatar
    Been hearing good things from people in beta and it looks like a lot of fun so hoping we'll all be able to play soon.

Balance can always be a problem with so many different characters but hopefully they'll be un-blizzard like and fairly rapid with the changes whilst not killing certain characters completely for a while after every nerf.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sketchseven's Avatar
    Been interested in this since I heard Thurston talk about it on the Crate and Crowbar podcast - looks cool, and the idea of classes that are very tailored (no weapon switching, for example) is interesting. Got my hat in the ring for the beta, but no invite yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Xzi View Post
    I'll give it a shot, but I don't expect much. Seems too muddled to be a good shooter, and the balance between different characters is sure to be terrible for a while.
    Stole the words right out of my head.
    Give them back.

Blizzard has five games out now, Starcraft 2, World of Warcraft, Diablo 3, Heartstone and Heros of the Storm.

With the exception of Heartstone taking lore from WoW, and Heros being a mix up of the characters from all their games there's next to nothing in common with how you play them. SC2, WoW and D3 all play incredibly differently. The one link to them is they all have the same amount of polish that Blizzard gives to their game. I play all Blizzards games expect for Heartstone - I'm not getting into a money pit again.

Blizzard fans will try Blizzard games. And fps fans will probably give it a shot too because it's a Blizzard game and there's a certain level of polish you can expect from their games.

Also how do you determine that Blizzards fan base are a non-FPS player base? There's nothing stopping someone who enjoys WoW from playing a few rounds of TF2 or CoD or CS:GO or Battlefield.

You said it already, there's 7 million people trying to get into the beta, that's a pretty big number of people showing interest in an fps from a company that's never put out an fps.

Steam ID

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    how do you determine that Blizzards fan base are a non-FPS player base?
    It's just a description. Players of non-FPS games, ergo non-FPS players. Don't overthink it.

There's nothing stopping someone who enjoys WoW from playing a few rounds of TF2 or CoD or CS:GO or Battlefield.
    I see Overwatch as being in a much more niche genre than those. IMHO the most appropriate comparisons are games by Splash Damage. It would be great if they had more mass appeal, but were they casualized I would be disappointed. That's the line Overwatch has to walk.

that's a pretty big number of people showing interest
    Which does not tell us what the actual Overwatch playerbase will be like. I'd be interested to see some charts of how many and which Blizzard players own how many games in which genres, but they don't share this kind of info.

Activated Node
    Well, as someone who's neither a FPS player, or particularly a Blizz fanboy, and having played a bit of Overwatch, it feels like it's going to do well. It didn't blow me away, but there was little chance it ever would. It does what it does, and does it well.

Latest news is that it's also coming to PS4 and Xbox One in mid-2016 at regular retail price, which should curb the worst monetisation tendencies.
    "I still havenít forgiven C. S. Lewis for going on all those long walks with J. R. R. Tolkien -- and failing to strangle him." (Clive James)

I see Overwatch as being in a much more niche genre than those. IMHO the most appropriate comparisons are games by Splash Damage. It would be great if they had more mass appeal, but were they casualized I would be disappointed. That's the line Overwatch has to walk.
    Seems to me that something like Overwatch should be much less niche than pseudo-military FPS games. The variety of heroes caters to any number of fantasies, whereas CS:GO caters to just two. Then you've got the colourful and inviting aesthetic, again more approachable than pseudo-military FPS games.

Overwatch has the potential -- potential -- to do for the parochial and demographically stagnant multiplayer FPS genre what WoW did for MMOs. Whether it'll actually achieve those lofty heights is anyone's guess, but I wouldn't bet against Blizzard. They've identified a gap in the market (one also identified by EA with Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare and Nintendo with Splatoon) and are going for it. And it's the same gap that WoW aimed for in the MMO space and Hearthstone in the CCG space, two genres with equally hardcore and parochial playerbases and in which Blizzard's efforts have been rather successful.
    Last edited by Lethe; 06-11-2015 at 09:09 AM.
    "I still havenít forgiven C. S. Lewis for going on all those long walks with J. R. R. Tolkien -- and failing to strangle him." (Clive James)

It's just a description. Players of non-FPS games, ergo non-FPS players. Don't overthink it.
    But it's silly to say their player-base is built up of people who don't play FPS games. Their player base might not play Blizzard FPS games, because until Overwatch such a thing didn't exist, but you can't say it as some sort of fact.

The closest comparison is TF2, which on an average day has more players than any other shooter on Steam bar CS:Go, which is also usually second place to DOTA 2. DOTA 2 and CS:GO can be played to a very high skill ceiling but they're obviously not just being played by very highly skilled players, they attract players of all skill levels - like every Blizzard game strives to do. Overwatch will be pushed into the eSports scene, because everything is now days, but it'll also be accessible to casuals because that's how you make a very successful game. There's a reason games like ARMA are enjoyed by a niche audience and it's because it's a dense game to penetrate.

Based on Blizzards history of make content available to everyone regardless of skill level I don't know why you'd think they'd suddenly decide they're making some sort of hardcore niche shooter. That's what the Turbomania guys tried to do and look how well that turned out.

This is what Blizzard do. They've never actually made an original concept in their history. They didn't invent the MMO or the RTS or the aRPG but they cemented themselves in place as big players in those genres with the games they released.

And while Splash Damage games might be more appropriate a comparison tonally to what Overwatch will end up being, the problem with their games, Brink being the obvious comparison is that Brink was a steaming broken mess on release by a studio without much of a pedigree.

Which does not tell us what the actual Overwatch playerbase will be like. I'd be interested to see some charts of how many and which Blizzard players own how many games in which genres, but they don't share this kind of info.
    No but if seven million people are clambering to try get into your beta that's only running on PC then that's a pretty good indication that people are interested in the game. Obviously it doesn't say what the playerbase will be, but nothing ever will. WoW had a beta player base of less than 500,000 or something and it grew to having 12,000,000 players at it's peak. I think Diablo 3 eventually sold 30,000,000 copies, plenty of those on console.

Steam ID