Thread: A Ghost Story?

Obscure Node

A Ghost Story?

Hi I'm new to forums, I'll see if I can find the "Introduce Yourself" thing later. I was just after a recommendation for a game. I'm looking for something that tells a clever and mature ghost story for PC or PS4. I'm not looking for silly jump scares like Outlast, I am also not looking for point and click type things although I have really enjoyed a few of those, or anything with frustrating resource management like Amnesia. I don't mind if it is first or third person. I really enjoyed the P.T. Silent Hills thing on PS4 and often revisit that - looking forward to Allison Road and other clones that are proposed. I loved and completed all of the Silent Hill games - even the ones more recently that have been slated. I also thoroughly enjoyed the older Resident Evils up to Resi3, but the more recent ones are too fighty and arcadey for me and not enough focussed on puzzles. Another game that I found intriguing recently was The Secret World and I still dip into that sometimes, although I find the community difficult to get into at times. I have tried a lot of things on Steam, some quite decent like "The Cat Lady", "Among the Sleep" and "Obscure". To boil that all down:

Not looking for:

Jump scares (at least not a game that is completely based on jump scares)
    Running round in the dark worried in case my lamp oil runs out
    Arcadey games where graphics are the most important thing
    Games that are necessarily very new, although anything might be good
    Games that are completely set up around impressing little kids with online multiplayer modes where they can swear at each other without getting in trouble.
    Point and click adventures
    Getting killed and finding myself having to go over tons of old ground because of checkpoints
    A necessarily long game - I really enjoyed "Dear Esther" and "Everybody's Gone to the Rapture" and short games can be great.

Looking for:

Slow burn psychological horror/spooky with plenty of back story and lore
    Preferably open world, or at least the sense that its open world
    Fairly casual difficulty
    First or Third person, not fussy
    Split screen 2 player couch co-op drop-in main story (I'm showing my age here) - although not important would be great.

Any recommendations would be gratefully accepted. If anyone plays SWTOR look me up (Torrne, Szamaell, Belpheggor - The Red Eclipse).

Hey Ripp, welcome to the forum. You couldn't see your initial thread because it was moderated. New accounts need to reach a certain threshold of posts before threads don't get auto-moderated and show up directly. If you just keep on posting/commenting in other people's threads, you should reach that threshold in no time.

I've deleted the other (shorter) version of your post and approved this one instead. Hope that's fine with you.
    Last edited by Squiz; Yesterday at 03:02 PM.
    Forum janitor in training.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripp View Post
    Looking for:

Slow burn psychological horror/spooky with plenty of back story and lore
    Preferably open world, or at least the sense that its open world
    Fairly casual difficulty
    First or Third person, not fussy
    Split screen 2 player couch co-op drop-in main story (I'm showing my age here) - although not important would be great.
    Hi! wecome.

Have you tried Lone Survivor? Its a brilliant little psychological horror.
    - Do you have any debts?

- I owe some people a few apologies.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Eh, it's not on your platforms, but you really should play Silent Hill: Shattered Memories.
    It's probably the most clever horror game ever (yes, it's even better than SH2).
    You would need to play SH1 first though as SH: SM is sort of remake and it gets even better when you know the first game.

If you don't mind RPG Maker, play Desert Nightmare. https://rpgmaker.net/games/917/images/4111/
    It's really good, athough I don't remember if it have literal ghosts in it. I hope it's not a problem.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus zanchito's Avatar
    Layers of fear is pretty much PT Silent Hills in victorian London.
    Steam: Zanchito || Guild Wars 2: Gatonegro || The Secret World: Mescalitoh || Elite Dangerous: CMDR Zanchito

I searched a little about horror games through the years because I'm not big in the topic, since you like pt and I read Ito was working with the devs I'll just give you ito stuff, like an actual story about a spiral akin to pt's L shaped map descend into shit.
    https://mercurialblonde.wordpress.co...-itos-uzumaki/

gamecat probably covered the best but I never played shattered memories so....
    http://horror.dreamdawn.com/?p=54891
    To me they are all kind of morbid more than anything though.
    I wish f.e.a.r. was good but I'll just recommend you oxenfree which isn't really scary and it's more of a nostalgic thing with puzzles.
    Also in defence of jump scares just watch the descend it's great. You'd think because of sound cues they get predictable but all the sounds are diegetic and some come when you wish they didn't right because you can predict them, be it camera angle addiction or empty space.
    Also this

Ofc there's more than this but the hidden/the faded are just about the only things not inspired from mangas/movies coming to my mind, even though the faded has an alien vibe to it because of ns2 and alien dhu.

more ghost story stuff
    http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/cos...ogyofkyoto.htm

ot: I never actually explored the blog but since I opened it....these don't help that much but I think the can give me an idea of what to expect from a lot of horror games and not.
    http://horror.dreamdawn.com/?p=202230
    http://horror.dreamdawn.com/?p=14800045
    /ot
    Last edited by Wenz; Yesterday at 07:17 PM.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by zanchito View Post
    Layers of fear is pretty much PT Silent Hills in victorian London.
    Yeah I've started this one and played an hour or so, quite enjoy. Ill keep going.

Obscure Node
    Thanks for all the replies. Keep them coming if you think of any more.

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter is on both platforms (I think it's on PS4 anyway but I know it's on PC). It's somewhere between a horror game and an adventure game (no point & click though, as demanded). It's got puzzles. It's got a creepy part here and there. You can explore the whole map right from the start. It's an investigation so it's story focused. I think it checks enough of your boxes. It's real good too.