Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar

What is your favourite brain switched off game?

I keep going back to certain games because I can play them while running on fumes.

But I realise it's not just a familiarity thing, some games I have just started qualify just as much even while new to me like Steamworld Heist, When I was doing my Grow Up no upgrades run I'd go explore for routes to higher land drowsy. Dark Souls (&2) invasions and summon marking took on a similar complexion, so too my mindful refinement of my highscore technique in Orcs Must Die (2 mostly). I actually need to be careful because some games like EuroTruck Driving Simulator (2) and Atom Zombie Smasher will see me still playing them when the sun comes up unless I am very careful. I actually found myself restfully playing MGSV (not Ground Zeroes, too stressful) frequently, clear out on side op, send my units on patrols, then bed.

Looking at my all time top games, it's hard to ignore the prevalence of my dozy games, what are yours?
    I am once again writing a blog, vaguely about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Obscure Node
    I play some GWENT.

Used to be Hearthstone. Although I have basically stopped playing it at the moment, since the current meta is awful (and I am not optimistic when it comes to the designers' decisions). I am waiting for the next expansion so I can decide if it gets uninstalled.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Currently I favour Rebel Galaxy and Final Liberation as games to play when I don't want to tax myself too much... both games do require concentration though. I don't play an awful lot of games that don't require a certain amount of care. Perhaps Stardew Valley will turn out to be that sort of game.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EPICTHEFAIL's Avatar
    Says a lot about me that my most-played game is also my favourite game of this type (I think Errant Signal referred to these as comfort food games, might have been someone else though) - Elite Dangerous. It's not really something I play with any specific goal in mind other than a vague list of things I eventually want to accomplish and may or may not feel like progressing towards right now. Head into an asteroid ring, murder some pirates in a completely overpowered ship (current favourite: Fer-de-Lance with a corrosive ammo multicannon and quad beam lasers), grab a couple of random missions (go here and salvage some stuff, vandalise this military outpost, go murder a televangelist in this system...), do the odd bit of specific task grinding for an Engineer, all of them tasks that can be accomplished without requiring any serious thinking. Elite's not that great if you're looking for really deep systems or complex scenarios and the like, but it's unmatched as a sort of unusually violent (you should see me on Welsh B-roads...) Euro Truck Simulator 2 in space, where it requires just enough concentration that you don't doze off, but isn't so demanding as to be actually stressful, so you can just sit back, relax and not think about anything for a while.
    Also known as ATrifleMiffed

My go-to choices are Osmos, DOTA2 and The Binding of Isaac.

j/k
    The Onward March of Bundles - filling your backlog since 1911. For a list of active deals, and more, click here.
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"I'm too big of a hothead, I've got a history, I've got implants...take your pick."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BillButNotBen's Avatar
    I don't really go back to games very much, so I don't tend to have familiar favorites. Chilled out is a little different to brain-switched-off, but games like Proteus kinda work.

King's Bounty was this kind of game for me for a while. I haven't played Rebel Galaxy but I almost get the impression that it'd invoke the same feelings.

TBH though, probably single player FPS. Moving forward and shooting things is pretty brain-off and relaxing. Even when the game involves some fast reflexes or small amount of tactics it tends to be automatic. Multiplayer FPS is a different ballgame.

My go-to games if I just want to switch my brain off and mash some buttons used to be the Tony Hawk's Pro Skater games, because I know all of them by heart and I can play them with zero effort. Same goes for GTA San Andreas. I see you mentioned Euro Truck Simulator 2 as a switch-off game, but for me ETS2 doesn't work that way. I'll usually get distracted and run into another car or a wall or something, and the shock of that kills my "brain switched off mood".
    Guild Wars 2 is a good game for chilling out, since you can do some simple quests or go exploring without effort or serious risks. The gameworld is simply nice to be in when you need to get away from it all.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. G3rt

Guild Wars 2 characters: Norgothus (Norn Necromancer), Maggrivo (Charr Warrior)

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    Never go full Wulf.

Quote Originally Posted by EPICTHEFAIL View Post
    Elite's [...] ,l unmatched as a sort of unusually violent (you should see me on Welsh B-roads...) Euro Truck Simulator 2 in space,
    We don't go to Ravenholm.

At the moment: Rebel Galaxy. I don't exactly switch my brain off, but it is very low maintenance. Only really have to wake up if I blunder into an "easy" mission that involves a swarm of fighters. They will rip me to shreds if I'm not careful.

Flak/EMP Flak cannons, that and some tape to press that key/trigger down. Fighters will never bother you again.

Lesser Hivemind Node LordShadoko's Avatar
    Anno 2070 and Anno 1404, without enemies. It's just lovely to look at, very relaxing and quite hard to screw up. Skyrim for wandering around in a place that feels like home. Ace Combat Assault Horizon for some mindless button smashing with good looking planes, or a Saints Row game. I also like to enjoy small, easy sessions of Borderlands 2.
    Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.

Diablo 3 or BOI do it for me

or some MtG in Forge

Cursed Treasure: Don't Touch My Gems.

Was Tetris or Doom before that.

Diablo III. Played it a lot over year end/early January while listening to audio books.

To relax I like to gilde over the Swiss Alps in Aerofly FS, and do jumps with (offroad) RC-cars in VRC Pro.