Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar

Miniatures Gaming (GW + Others)

I know we have the board game thread but as we happen to to chat shit about 40K/Warhammer a lot in other threads I thought there might be enough interest in another thread.

So what games are people playing? What models are you painting? Have you moved to a city where you can only afford small flats so can't play much anymore?

Anyway Blood Bowl has been re-released. Which basically has the same rules as the Living Rule Book edition but with nicer miniatures! Slightly annoyingly it got up scaled a smidge from 25mm bases to 32mm bases so the board doesn't fit on my coffee table anymore. Anyway here's the first thing I painted in years:

Wissenland Academical painted in roughly the colours of Glasgow Warriors, I am in the process of Warhammering up some names, like Johan Grau.

Next up I'm Emperor's Childrening up my half of a Betrayal at Calth boxset.
    Last edited by Zephro; 18-02-2017 at 01:32 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    I used to do this but find GW overpriced for what it really is. Have thought about the other miniture games like X Wing(which I've played and thought was pretty good) or Infinity.

The problem I have is that you really have to get into it and the meta of it, there isn't that many people playing these other games and from my experiences of netrunner I found the focus on one game to much kind of a bit stymying

I know all that and yet I get a hankering every few months to start collecting again and I have no idea why.

Lesser Hivemind Node LordShadoko's Avatar
    I used to do this but find GW overpriced for what it really is.
    Same thing here. Now, if you just want to be a modeller, it's possible to find some very decent replacement at a good price - the Victoria Lamb miniatures for example are very good, and I they even have some amazing female models for space fantasy soldiers. But an entire army, for "real" play ? GW can go to hell with its ridiculous prices.
    Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.

Yeah I've not done fulltime 40K or Warhammer since I went to Uni as I couldn't afford it. There are some cheaper alternatives mind, Blood Bowl for one it's 20 a team which is very reasonable.

Here's a bad picture of some French 100 days campaign troops I painted a few years back:

So it's Blackpowder by Warlord games, rules are based on Warmaster and written by Rick Priestly. They also do ancient or medieval, models are in plastic. These ones are designed by the Perry Brothers who did most of the old GW ones, except it was 15 for 40. Good thing about historical games is that there's no IP to charge for.

They also do a scifi game called Beyond the Gates of Antares which is old school 40K scale of maybe a platoon of troops, or Bolt Action their WW2 rules.

Historic is the way to go.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Bloodbowl, Necromunda, Gorkamorka. These are my games workshop games, I only own a working Bloodbowl set these days but would leap at the chance to meaningfully play either of the other games again, but you need to understand, it wouldn't be for the actual games which are fairly trivial things, but the overrunning interpersonal drama. Because of things happening several matches/battles/races before, there are consequences, and people will do things for long term consequences, like retreating earlier to avoid harm or easing up off the throttle because it's not worth it.
    I am once again writing a blog, vaguely about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Anyone who eases off the throttle in a Gorkamorka game is failing. You've got to RP that shit as an Ork.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephro View Post
    Anyone who eases off the throttle in a Gorkamorka game is failing. You've got to RP that shit as an Ork.
    Even if your horde is human?

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Even if your horde is human?
    The digganobs so want to be orks though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BillButNotBen's Avatar
    They look cool... good painting. (Especially if you haven't done it for ages).
    they changed the size so old bloodbowl figures don't work anymore?

I'm still miffed that Cyanide's BB game made the humans look dumb by dressing them in plate armor... :-(

I haven't painted anything in decades, so I doubt I could do it now. I have a big box full of 40k and Bloodbowl miniatures stored away in the UK, but I don't have access to them anymore. I imagine if I looked at them now I'd think the painting was crap.

I was always terrible at painting minitures could never really get it right. Was even chucked out of playing with my GW minitures because they weren't very good(yeah that happened)

Quote Originally Posted by Zephro View Post
    The digganobs so want to be orks though.
    Gosh, I forgot all about the Gretchin Revolutionary Committee

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Spacewalk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    I was always terrible at painting minitures could never really get it right. Was even chucked out of playing with my GW minitures because they weren't very good(yeah that happened)
    Didn't consider trying The Dip Method?

Quote Originally Posted by Spacewalk View Post
    Didn't consider trying The Dip Method?
    Properly diluted and properly drained its a reasonable way to undercoat, inferior to aerosol and redundant with the newer micropitted plastics they have now.

It's not used as an undercoat it's used to shade and seal you models. It's a shortcut. It's probably better to use quickshade which is designed for that purpose but for a while it was the method for people lacking painting skill to get acceptable looking minis.

Lesser Hivemind Node LordShadoko's Avatar
    I remember trying to create 40K armored vehicles from scratch instead of buying the overpriced ones from GW or Forge World (come on, for the price of a Tau Manta, I can have four 1/16 Tiger tanks from Trumpeter !). A WWI british MKV tank chassis and a KV-1 turret make for a very decent Leman Russ ersatz. I even managed to make it fit in the fluff, a different pattern from a backwards forge world, IIRC.
    Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.

I made what I thought was going to be some cool scenery for Necromunda but it was ultimately rendered unusable due to going a bit overboard with the fire damage.

Quote Originally Posted by BillButNotBen View Post
    They look cool... good painting. (Especially if you haven't done it for ages).
    they changed the size so old bloodbowl figures don't work anymore?

I'm still miffed that Cyanide's BB game made the humans look dumb by dressing them in plate armor... :-(

I haven't painted anything in decades, so I doubt I could do it now. I have a big box full of 40k and Bloodbowl miniatures stored away in the UK, but I don't have access to them anymore. I imagine if I looked at them now I'd think the painting was crap.
    Nope they still work. Just the squares on the board are 5-6mm wider and the pass ruler thing is a bit longer to compensate, otherwise all the old BB stuff works. They will look a tiny bit short though.

The dip solution is this stuff:
    https://store.warlordgames.com/colle...uick-shade-dip

The French I did above are done with this method. Basically you block out the colours of the uniforms etc. Then dip the models in the can of quick shade, which will settle in recesses and leave a thing tinting layer. Leave them to dry for a couple of days then touch up any details. It's a godsend if you're doing something where the blocks of units are like 40 models and all you care about is getting them out the door. I think it's deeply frowned upon in the GW community.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BillButNotBen's Avatar
    I never really was part of the GW community... I just played with my mates. I used to kinda enjoy painting the miniatures though.. but I'd tend to get half way through a squad and get bored... so I had a lot of units that were half painted well* and half unpainted.

*at least I thought so at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by LordShadoko View Post
    I remember trying to create 40K armored vehicles from scratch instead of buying the overpriced ones from GW or Forge World (come on, for the price of a Tau Manta, I can have four 1/16 Tiger tanks from Trumpeter !). A WWI british MKV tank chassis and a KV-1 turret make for a very decent Leman Russ ersatz. I even managed to make it fit in the fluff, a different pattern from a backwards forge world, IIRC.
    I used to do this all the time... but then back in the day White Dwarf used to encourage you to mod together your own units and mash them into the fiction. I'd also modify loads of the figures and use a bunch of non-GW miniatures.I don't even know where I found them or who made them or what they were supposed to be... but my chapter had some pretty cool half-bionic terminators because of it.
    And some bloody big tanks with bloody big guns.

I kinda lost interest in the game when they made everything much more prescribed and official.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I never really was part of the GW community... I just played with my mates. I used to kinda enjoy painting the miniatures though.. but I'd tend to get half way through a squad and get bored... so I had a lot of units that were half painted well* and half unpainted.

*at least I thought so at the time.
    Same here. Only the better units in my Eldar army and my Titans in Epic really got fully painted. There was no GW particularly near me (despite/because I lived in Hackney) and the people in the stores we did visit seemed kind of jerky (yeah I'm talking about you, guys running the GW in the Plaza on Oxford Street - sadly gone now), so the idea of having to fully paint all our miniatures, even the boring ones, just to play with them, seemed awful

I used to do this all the time... but then back in the day White Dwarf used to encourage you to mod together your own units and mash them into the fiction. I'd also modify loads of the figures and use a bunch of non-GW miniatures.I don't even know where I found them or who made them or what they were supposed to be... but my chapter had some pretty cool half-bionic terminators because of it.
    And some bloody big tanks with bloody big guns.

I kinda lost interest in the game when they made everything much more prescribed and official.
    I used to have the tank from Aliens rolling around with our Imperial Guard back in the RT days, only, my friend had tried to "help me out" after I'd painted it and pointed a light at it to dry it faster, and that'd partially melted the roof, so we said it had been damaged by genestealers.

Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    Wow, that's really shitty of them. I'd be one thing if you hadn't painted them, that was always clear, but just bad painting? Fuck those guys.

Wow, that's really shitty of them. I'd be one thing if you hadn't painted them, that was always clear, but just bad painting? Fuck those guys.
    Yeah that really soured me on the whole warhammer experience even though I know its an isolated experience. To be honest though I sometimes pass Warhammer shops and realise I'm not that kind of nerd anymore, totally judging but if I'm honest it gives me a positive feeling that somehow I've grown a little bit.

Also lets be frank the actual game attached to it, especially playing some of these newer miniture games is a bit shite.