Looking for a 2nd hand mobile phone

To my own surprise I think I might want to get a new phone. However, because I bought my current phone over 10 years ago I have absolutely no idea what to get. What would you knowledgeable folks happen to recommend?

Criteria: 2nd hand (unlocked as well?), not expensive, not burdened with useless proprietary apps, a battery that lasts at least 24 hours with reasonable use, android, expandable memory.

I do not want a magic screen that farts rainbows, I don't need an incredible selfie camera to share my boring lifestyle with everybody, and I couldn't give two shits about 4G.

Bonus features: not a terrible camera, replaceable battery.

Moto E or G look like options at the moment; does anyone have experience with either?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    If you want second hand phone then prepare to buy a new battery immediately.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Gus_Smedstad's Avatar
    I bought a used Galaxy Note 5, and the only battery problem I've had is Samsung's battery-eating indexing software running in the background. On an irregular basis, so normally battery life is fine, except when it isn't. The actual physical battery has been healthy.

One thing I discovered with my prior phone (an entry-level Samsung Core) is that a micro SDHC card slot is not a substitute for main storage. Leaving aside the speed issues, installing apps on the SD card is problematic. Even things like Kindle don't want to store the books on the SD card. It's fine for things like music, but I primarily use my phone as a small tablet - for years in fact I ran around with a Nexus 7 and a flip-phone, since the phone part isn't so important to me.

I'm afraid I'm not of much help otherwise, though. The last time I was researching phones, I was obviously looking at something more expensive than your target. My criteria were battery life, which led me to looking only at 6"-ish phones, wireless charging, significant main storage (64 GB), and enough CPU to run games (which I still don't really do, my tablet gaming is 90% iPad now).

Going with the Note 5 for the stylus was a bit of a flyer, but it actually has been handy as a virtual notepad. It's handy to be able to quickly draw out a note or especially a diagram. You're supposed to be able to do other stuff with it, but that's what I've actually found useful.

Where are you located, and are you tied to any particular network provider? You will want to make sure your new phone is compatible with local networks. Of course that should be the case for anything sold at retail...
    Brief and powerless is Man's life; on him and all his race the slow, sure doom falls pitiless and dark.

I'm in the UK. I'll probably have to change my sim anyway because it's that old.

I'm looking at a Moto G 3rd gen. It doesn't look like the battery is easily replaceable (though it is with a few tools), but there's a 30 day warranty on it so I could return it if the battery's shite. Anything to note against that phone?

Daughter had a 3rd gen G and it was more than good enough.
    Steam ID: Sp4rkR4t
    Origin ID: Sp4rkR4t
    Battle.net ID : Sp4rkR4t#1773
    uPlay: Sp4rkR4t
    Nintendo friend code: 2638-4485-2926

Quote Originally Posted by Sp4rkR4t View Post
    Daughter had a 3rd gen G and it was more than good enough.
    Why had? Broken?

She got my Nexus 6 when I went Pixel XL.
    Steam ID: Sp4rkR4t
    Origin ID: Sp4rkR4t
    Battle.net ID : Sp4rkR4t#1773
    uPlay: Sp4rkR4t
    Nintendo friend code: 2638-4485-2926

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GameCat View Post
    this is a must option. Since you have been away :) phones began to eat batteries like crazy. 3 years is the limit for a new battery these days. Do not buy second hand phone without cheaply and easily replaceable battery. Check ebay for new batteries for the model you want before actually buying it.

Noted. Would it be worth keeping a couple of batteries in stock? I don't know what their shelf lives are like.

Quote Originally Posted by GameCat View Post
    Can't stress this enough.

Quote Originally Posted by theclockworkrat View Post
    Noted. Would it be worth keeping a couple of batteries in stock? I don't know what their shelf lives are like.
    Probably not. I'm not saying that their shelf lives are terrible, but in all honesty, most users would already be looking at new phones by the time they'd consider putting in a new battery. I realize that you might be the exception to that rule, since you've used your current Phone for over ten years already.
    Personally, I couldn't care less about phones, but when the battery on my current phone dies, I'm definitely getting a new (cheap) phone, not just a new battery. What was acceptable in terms of performance a few years ago definitely isn't now, and certainly won't be in a few years time. These phones are not like computers - there's usually no easy way to clean it up and start over from scratch.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. G3rt

Guild Wars 2 characters: Norgothus (Norn Necromancer), Maggrivo (Charr Warrior)

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    Never go full Wulf.