Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Obscure Node

Pokemon GO for Horace the Infinite Bear Cultists

Managed to run it on Bluestacks but since I have to fake GPS location to play it I want to fake it better than Bluestacks allows.

It also works on emulators from google sdk but they are too slow to be usable.
    Tried few other emulators but looks like most of them are for intel x86 atom and game is only for arm architecture.
    Can anybody confirm it works on other emulator?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    Can't you just emulate a proper Pokémon game instead?

Quote Originally Posted by Malawi Frontier Guard View Post
    Yeah, I have to say that Go is only really fun when you're actually...going places. No point sitting at home playing it on an emulator, especially since you're likely to just get banned anyway.

Obscure Node
    I just gotta catch em' all
    with a bot
    It's a research project

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EPICTHEFAIL's Avatar
    Or play that Minecraft mod which is just like real Pokemon but doesn't look like it pre-dates Bovril?

Last time I checked almost all Pokemon games were available for emulators, so it shouldn't be too difficult. I struggle to see the appeal in Pokemon go when you don't actually, you know, go.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Throatwobbler Mangrove

Guild Wars 2 characters: Norgothus (Norn Necromancer), Maggrivo (Charr Warrior)

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    Never go full Wulf.

Network Hub
    Remove the hide and seek portion of the game, social interaction and actual walking to places and you have one very shallow shell of a game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Playing an ARG/real-world game on a PC in a house using faked GPS is the most retarded thing I've heard in eons - it's a sign technology has long-since overtaken common-sense.

Now, if you'll excuse me it's a sunny evening, there are Pokestops and Pokemon to collect and my dogs get a walk and - well - it's better than hoovering...
    Last edited by trjp; 14-07-2016 at 08:44 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    While the game itself is a shallow mobile waste of time like almost every mobile game ever, I do like the surrounding hype, memes and the funny looks people get for playing it. An interesting phenomenon.

Also, I always liked the idea of games engaging real world locations. Surely it was already done, can anyone recommend a mobile game that has you go places?

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    the most retarded thing I've heard in eons
    Why such unexcellence why!
    Last edited by mouton; 14-07-2016 at 10:50 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    Pokémon Go was made for mind control and surveillance!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mouton View Post
    Why such unexcellence why!
    Attempts to reclaim that word seem misguided, at best. Let it go the way of "lame," "dumb," and "idiot."

Pokémon Go was made for mind control and surveillance!
    xD

VR didn't get my mind so I don't think Pokemon Go has a great chance to, either. Else it would've had it at 10 or 12 when I started playing Red and Blue. Not to say that Pokemon overall hasn't taken away a ton of my time, but that's time control, not mind control.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Eight Rooks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    Playing an ARG/real-world game on a PC in a house using faked GPS is the most retarded thing I've heard in eons - it's a sign technology has long-since overtaken common-sense.

Now, if you'll excuse me it's a sunny evening, there are Pokestops and Pokemon to collect and my dogs get a walk and - well - it's better than hoovering...

Funnily enough it's partly disabled people who are resorting to it.

(Unfortunate choice of words aside, I'm in two minds about that article; yeah, accessibility is great, but when it's a game where the objective is going outside, then obviously there are going to be some people who... flatly can't go outside, and if you were to give them some way to play then surely you would in this case be taking away the whole point? Sure, I agree there are things Niantic could do - more/a mandatory number of more easily accessible locations etc. - but at some point it's kind of defeating the purpose of the exercise, no? It's Pokemon Go as in get out into the wild, not wander down to the nearest public park every time. But hey, Not A PC Game, so I'll leave it at that, perhaps.)
    Smashwords (free stories I wrote) | Steam | Tumblr (reviews, games crit etc.)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post

Funnily enough it's partly disabled people who are resorting to it.

(Unfortunate choice of words aside, I'm in two minds about that article; yeah, accessibility is great, but when it's a game where the objective is going outside, then obviously there are going to be some people who... flatly can't go outside, and if you were to give them some way to play then surely you would in this case be taking away the whole point? Sure, I agree there are things Niantic could do - more/a mandatory number of more easily accessible locations etc. - but at some point it's kind of defeating the purpose of the exercise, no? It's Pokemon Go as in get out into the wild, not wander down to the nearest public park every time. But hey, Not A PC Game, so I'll leave it at that, perhaps.)
    The premise of that article seems to be "Da Vinci was a prick, painting beautiful pictures. Won't anyone think of the blind?"

Why would a disabled person play Pokemon GO when they can play Assassin's Creed and ride Leonardo's machine in the skies of Venice? Or other, less interesting cities like London. Or play Volo Airsport and skydive with abandon. Or Grow Home, if you're in a sad mood.
    Of all the liberating experiences one can have with games, why play an Ingress skin? If you're not disabled, if you want to go outside visit places, the app to use is OSMAnd(or Google Maps), and enable nearest POI.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wenz View Post
    Bin the .exes to get it high.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    As a former Ingress player (who finds all this Pokemon Go talk slightly twee as we've been there and done it years ago already) my hackles are raised at any talk of cheating/spoofing.

Example: someone once setup a pan-European field using a portal based in a ski-resort which was, at the time, completely inaccessible - they basically advertised to the world that they were cheats - they were far from alone.

The downsides of people 'cheating' in Pokemon Go are less harmful (mainly because the game is less interesting/challenging) but they still exist - your ability to cover ground is "the game"

Niantic are also adept at spotting people who cheat (based on movement speed/patterns) and ban both your Google account (under which progress is saved) AND sometimes your device (tho I imagine the 'id' of a Bluestacks-style device might be easily changed?)

Bottom line - get out there, people are having a tonne of fun - I caught a Ponyta and managed to upset teenagers by doing so - my work is done for today!

p.s. as you're walking, try WalkR too - it's an interesting exploration/RTS with 'walking' as it's currency

p.p.s if you're running, Zombies RUN is also excellent (and actually works even if you're walking)

p.p.p.s. and if you want a similar solo experience, SpecTrek is decent

Play em all - kill your battery - get fit!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Well that was a fun day - loads of time between jobs, sun, dogs, pokemons...

and EVERYONE is doing it, if I'd yelled 'Pikachu' in the park this morning, I'd have died in a surge of teenagers ;0

It's clearly a bit overloaded and a bit ropey in some areas - the fact you have to keep the app open to register walking (to hatch eggs) is retarded in particular but my other half plays it too and it's outside and it's summer and - why not?

Had to come home, it's just too bloody hot out there today, and the nearby system being completely borked doesn't help much. Hope they get that sorted in the next couple of days.
    Steam ID: Sp4rkR4t
    Origin ID: Sp4rkR4t
    Battle.net ID : Sp4rkR4t#1773
    uPlay: Sp4rkR4t

One Man's Sky - My journey through the world on No Man's Sky

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    They MUST solve the 'walk distance' problem ASAP - I walk about 4-5 miles a day, it's registering maybe 1 of those at most.

That means a 10km egg requires 100km of walking - not gonna happen!!

Certainly caught the public attention tho - stores are promoting it, the local Police Station even has a joke warning notice in the window. It's best played (here in the UK) in the morning (whilst the land of plastic cheese is asleep) - after that it just goes into borked mode for the rest of the day (upto and including the early hours, picked-up the missus after 1am last night and it was still borked!!)

No GAME in it of course, but I caught a Psyduck so I can rest easy ;0

Walk distance registers fine for me even if I'm on my bike provided I'm not racing along, you do have to have the app open and screen on for it to register though which is silly.
    Steam ID: Sp4rkR4t
    Origin ID: Sp4rkR4t
    Battle.net ID : Sp4rkR4t#1773
    uPlay: Sp4rkR4t

One Man's Sky - My journey through the world on No Man's Sky

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Sp4rkR4t View Post
    Walk distance registers fine for me even if I'm on my bike provided I'm not racing along, you do have to have the app open and screen on for it to register though which is silly.
    It's actually not supposed to work on a bike - they've said that bikes are fine for getting between pokestops but they only want WALKING to hatch eggs (Ingress's systems for this were totally borked too but it didn't register 'distance' in this way anyway)

It's not that hard - they simply give you credit for the distance between 'check ins' (stops, gyms, pokemon) so long as you don't get there faster than Xmph - maybe add the concept of 'check in' to start/stop each walk for the bits either end and - job done!?

If we didn't have to deal with iOS they could just throw a background service up - but iOS doesn't have clever things like that, it's a single-tasking dinosaur in that respect...