Obscure Node

Android Tablet Games suggestions

I was wondering if anyone has some suggestions for good Android games that do not require an internet connection or a particularly high spec Tablet?

The reason for the question - I travel by train every day (an hour each way) and I usually put on an audio book and play away on my tablet. But frankly my current selection of jigsaw puzzles, sudoku, and piccross and boring the hell out of me. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I have a relatively old Kindle Fire so unfortunately I cant take anything to involved (Blood Bowl doesnt work, and even Hearthstone crashes at regular intervals). But if anyone has suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it! :)

Cheers

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Gus_Smedstad's Avatar
    I have a Nexus 7, which is a bit beefier than a Kindle Fire. I don't know what will or won't run on your tablet.

I'd check out Kairosoft's catalog. In particular, I liked Gran Prix Story and Epic Astro Story.

Other suggestions:

Monument Valley
    Out There
    LeHavre
    Ticket To Ride
    Dungeon Raid

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    The only one I really enjoyed or played was Monument Valley which Gus mentioned. It's really one of the best looking games around. Very fun and relaxing to play too.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BillButNotBen's Avatar
    I don't really use my nexus 7 for gaming very much.
    I have a few choose-your-own-adventure style gamebooks, mostly that I got in humble android bundles. They're ok, if you like that kind of thing). (tin man games remakes of final fantasy).
    The Sorcery games are also supposed to be good.

If you don't have it already, get the Amazon Underground app... that has some games free such as Monument Valley.

The Trese Brothers games are low-fi remakes of classic games such as Space Hulk, Star Control, etc.. which should run on pretty much anything. They have huge free versions, plus one time payments to get the entire game.

I did play NightSky on my tablet and it was mostly pretty good, except a few fiddly control issues at points.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Year Walk
    Machinarium
    Sword & Sworcery
    Waking Mars

Obscure Node
    Cheers for all the suggestions!

I'm downloading Mounment Valley now. It sounds like a good one for me!

I have already finished the Sourcery games (well 1-3) and they worked quite well, so I should probably look into some of the other ones that are like that.

But thanks for the advice, I will start looking into all of them now. :)

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Also look at the Hitman/Lara Croft/Deus Ex Go games. They're fun little puzzle games and I can't imagine they require a high spec.

Hoplite, Minecraft (still legit), Hitman Go, Lara Croft Go, 80 days, King of Dragon Pass, Waking Mars.

Hoplite is actually free, so you have no excuse not to check it out, you can pay to unlock different modes and cheevoes but the game is properly free to play regularly.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Cell Lab: Evolution Sandbox is absolutely glorious. It ranks with KSP as one of the best 'educational' games of all time. It's easily the best mobile game I've ever played.

So, in Cell Lab, you get a petri dish and a cell genome to modify. The petri dish can have a wide variety of environmental conditions placed on it: sunlight intensity and direction, gravity, viscosity, nutrient density, etc etc. The cell genome has a bunch of parameters also. The cell can have many different 'modes', and when a cell splits, you can choose which mode each daughter cell will be in. Each mode has several adjustable parameters: cell type (photocell, phagocyte, flagellocyte, etc), whether it adheres to its daughter cells, its split direction, nutrient priority among attached cells, how big it must be before it splits, etc.

Your goal is to create genomes that solve a variety of challenges from simple ("grow a population of 150 cells") to more complex ("grow a population of cells that keeps its population above 150 in this harsh environment for more than 50 hours"). You build the genome, then seed the petri dish with your cells, then unfreeze time (there are "Freeze" - paused, "Observe" - normal, and "Incubate" - fast settings) The challenges are all well conceived and range from fairly easy to very difficult.

There's also an experiment tab where you can create environments of your choice and throw cell genomes in there to see what happens. Crucially, you can add radiation to the environment, which causes your cells to mutate: randomly change their parameters slightly.

A tale: I was trying to complete a challenge that has you keep a population of cells alive in a petri dish where the sides of the dish kill any cell that touches them. I had a population of flagellates (cells that can move around to eat by whipping a flagellum), but they kept hitting the sides of the dish and I couldn't keep the population high enough. I tried making the flagellate organisms heavier by adding attached cells, hoping they'd slow down enough to give me more population density, but this didn't work either. So I imported my heavy cells into the experiment tab, set the petri dish there to have deadly sides, and turned the radiation up to high. I let this run for several minutes to introduce a wide variety of mutant variants, then I turned the radiation off to stop mutations and dropped the nutrient density to produce a competitive environment. After a couple of minutes I noticed that most of the remaining cells were flagellates that had attached cells arranged in a boomerang shape so that they spun in circles as they swam. I imported these to the challenge and immediately completed it. This blew my fucking mind. This 'game' is able to simulate natural selection. Through random mutation and then differential success, it produced a solution that is retrospectively obvious, but that I certainly didn't think of; a masterful demonstration of Orgel's second rule: "Evolution is cleverer than you are."