Dice, Cardboard, Tokens - Online Boardgaming

I'm a sort of mild board game geek. I enjoy playing board games fairly regularly but haven't gotten to the point that I'm renovating my apartment to add closet space for my burgeoning collection. In fact, though I have a couple of local meetups I attend every couple of weeks or so to play board games, and I play some solo or with my young kids, most of my board gaming is online. Playing online works, but it's usually against strangers, and many times -- since board gaming is very popular in non-English speaking countries -- a language barrier prevents banter. Most of my most memorable online play sessions involve lively chatter across the board.

To that end, I'm curious whether any RPSers are interested in organizing online play sessions. There are several sites that host board games, and all of them offer nearly complete functionality for free.

The three big online board game sites and a sampling of some notable games they host:
    • Board Game Arena - Through the Ages, Keyflower, Race for the Galaxy, Seasons, Caylus
    • Boiteajeux - Dungeon Lords, Agricola, Kanban, Castles of Burgundy
    • Yucata - Marco Polo, Russian Railroads, At the Gates of Loyang

Sites that specialize in a single game:

All of these sites offer asynchronous play where players make moves one at a time and notifications are sent via email or site messaging when it's a player's turn. Most commonly, asynchronous games run at about 1-2 turns per day. Board Game Arena offers live play. There are also board games that can be played through dedicated apps on Steam or tablet/phone, including Ticket To Ride, Carcassonne, Catan, Small World, Space Hulk: Ascension, and Twilight Struggle.

Personally, I'm a big fan of map-based high-strategy games like Brass, Terra Mystica, and Twilight Stuggle. But I'd enjoy playing just about anything. Post here if you're interested too. I'm happy to teach while playing and am really looking for good conversation in the chat channel.

Network Hub
    I would definitely be up for this at some point if you are using the mumble server.

The problem I have is I'm bad at organising these things, I tried once before and it never went anywhere. I need someone else to start them up.

I'm maxed out with work this week but perhaps at the weekend or sometime next week, add me on steam as that tends to be the best way to get hold of me, I'm "Jersey SpuD"

Edit: rambling cut down
    Last edited by jerseyspud; 02-06-2016 at 10:47 AM.

I'm also interested!

Along similar lines: you can play X-wing for free online in a quasi-legal state (as with Netrunner, FFG gives it tacit approval by pretending to not know it exists, because it's really necessary for organized play until the day FFG makes their own official online thing), so if anyone ever wants to learn the game I'm happy to do online matches!

http://s93768914.onlinehome.us/xwing/

I am interested in learning X-Wing at some point, but not sure I want to take the time to learn a new Vassal module right now. Maybe in July, it would fun to organize a training session and then try to play through a game or two.

If either or both of you are interested in learning Terra Mystica, I'd be happy to set up a private game. The Snellman interface (linked above) is pretty bare bones, with a highly abstracted board, but it works really well for playing the game (as attested by the many tens of thousands of games that are played there every month.) There is a site with an AI here, which uses an interface very similar to Snellman's and is very useful for learning the game.

Terra Mystica is a high strategy game; there are no dice, no cards, and the only luck is who plays first, with some features to mitigate even that. There are 14 factions (plus 6 with the expansion) to choose from, and they all play differently, but are reasonably well balanced against each other. I think of it as kind of a board game version of a MOBA, with asymmetric abilities and tight conflict in every aspect. Here's a recent game I played, where I was able to eke out a second place finish despite choosing a terrible faction for the available bonuses. (Bonuses are determined randomly when you set up the game, and faction selection happens afterward.) You can get a sense from the map how tightly bunched all the players were as we developed our economies and scrabbled for points.

Network Hub
    Colour me interested for netrunner, xwing or terramystica. Just let me know when you are planning on doing it, later in the evenings is best for me but I don't know about your schedules.

I've played netrunner and xwing briefly many moons ago

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    I can't enjoy Netrunner on Jinteki (or previously OCTGN). The game loses too much when you're not across from your opponent.

If you want a quick and easy way to futz around with X-wing by yourself there's https://xws-bench.github.io/bench/#
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID