Call for votes: how do you feel about the promotion of mobile-only game projects?

As you're aware of, traditionally RPS Forum has been PC-centric, which means posting game apps for mobile was essentially forbidden in Promo, unless they also had a version for PCs.

Over time, the community has had some discussions about the PC-only approach, with an eye towards what was the attitude of RPS itself when it came to writing about mobile games, how the site has been covering mobile-only whenever the writers felt a game was worthy of a mention.

Of course mobiles are everywhere these days, and few don't have at least one game-capable mobile device, with many actually using it to play; the gaming scene has evolved and cross-pollination has taken place, so that it's increasingly frequent to see previously PC-only take on mobiles, and most importantly, games launching as mobile-only and later making their move to PC as well.

So the distinction between what is kosher PC and what isn't, has felt increasingly stiff and artificial, and may be up for re-evaluated in terms of what you would like to see and read rather, than what specific platforms a game may be running on at this very moment.

Take for instance 80 Days. If the devs had posted about their mobile launch, the traditional policy would have forced me to delete such a thread, as off-topic.

Of course, the Promotion board has its specificities, and let me remind you that mods don't apply any curation or quality-based filtering, beyond the basic "is this legit? is it not spammy?".

So, time to ask the question.

http://www.strawpoll.me/13201314
    The Onward March of Bundles - For an overview of bundle deals, and more, click here. The new Humble Monthly June comes with Paradox's latest grand strategy game set in space Stellaris, and more fab indie games. If you like what I'm doing, and are a new subscriber, please consider using this link, throw some monies at me, at no cost or inconvenience to you. Thanks! Me on Steam and HowLongToBeat.

Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Gus_Smedstad's Avatar
    I think maybe you need to share this poll somewhere a little more frequented. 9 votes (at the time of this writing) is too small a sample to draw any conclusions one way or the other.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I was mildly against because there are a lot of crummy mobile games and I'm mildly concerned they might drown out the PC ones. On the other hand, how many mobile developers would want to go to the effort of promoting their game on a PC gaiming site's forum?

I'm mildly for because I've played a number of mobile-only games that were very good, and which you'd normally expect to be indie PC games if it weren't for 10" tablets. Mostly board game adaptations like Lords of Waterdeep and Ascension. I know they're a small segment of the mobile game market as a whole, but stuff like that should be of interest to readers here.

The drawback I suppose is that the trashy free-to-play games that pretend to be strategy might show up here, not to mention the endless match-3 games my wife plays. Sure, there's no audience for that here, but that doesn't stop developers of those things from spamming every possible venue.

Quote Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad View Post
    I think maybe you need to share this poll somewhere a little more frequented. 9 votes (at the time of this writing) is too small a sample to draw any conclusions one way or the other.
    The rationale is that people who read RPS Discussion are more likely to be regulars, whereas if I started this in a more frequented area spurious votes from interested parties would be more likely.

If it doesn't get many votes, that's fine too in my book: it simply means most don't care enough to vote either way. That seems reflected in the current results which see negative votes exceed positive ones, as obviously people who feel strongly about the question have a lower activation threshold.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarfrin View Post
    On the other hand, how many mobile developers would want to go to the effort of promoting their game on a PC gaiming site's forum?
    I am regularly deleting such threads and, honestly, it doesn't seem fair to me: subjectivity apart, I do approve a lot of threads for PC games that don't look very good. OTOH I'm deleting threads for mobile games regardless of how good they may look.

Some suggestions were floated about exercising stricter QC on threads, but to paraphrase a certain bear, I'm not paid enough to do that kind of work, plus it carries a risk of opening the door to criticism.

Ideally I would crowdsource that task to the hivemind, perhaps with something like an upvoting/downvoting system.
    The Onward March of Bundles - For an overview of bundle deals, and more, click here. The new Humble Monthly June comes with Paradox's latest grand strategy game set in space Stellaris, and more fab indie games. If you like what I'm doing, and are a new subscriber, please consider using this link, throw some monies at me, at no cost or inconvenience to you. Thanks! Me on Steam and HowLongToBeat.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Some of the most PC as fuck games are on mobile, and many great games get ported to PC after mobile. I support them being posted.
    I am once again writing a blog, vaguely about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

In case of forum degradation pull cord.

Quote Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad View Post

The drawback I suppose is that the trashy free-to-play games that pretend to be strategy might show up here, not to mention the endless match-3 games my wife plays. Sure, there's no audience for that here, but that doesn't stop developers of those things from spamming every possible venue.
    This is the reason I'm mildly negative about the idea. To be fair, I hardly look at the promotions sub-board as it is, because why would I want to look at advertisements if I can avoid them, but it seems mobile games are promoted much more agressively than non-mobile games. I'd be worried that they'd drown out people honestly trying to promote an interesting pc game instead of f2p mobile crap.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. G3rt

Guild Wars 2 characters: Norgothus (Norn Necromancer), Maggrivo (Charr Warrior)

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    Never go full Wulf.

Quote Originally Posted by L_No View Post
    because why would I want to look at advertisements if I can avoid them,
    Because of the thrill of finding something new and cool nobody knows about yet? I used to follow IndieGames.com exactly for that reason.

Quote Originally Posted by L_No View Post
    but it seems mobile games are promoted much more agressively than non-mobile games. I'd be worried that they'd drown out people honestly trying to promote an interesting pc game instead of f2p mobile crap.
    Guess it won't hurt adding, since only mods see these threads if everything goes right, that the vast majority of submissions is for PC games. While there is no guarantee this won't change over time, there's no avalanche ready to roll in if or when the 'ban' is lifted.

As for the second part, there was already an avalanche of not so good games trying to get through Greenlight and, as every Steam hater won't stop repeating, Steam is actually full of them.

The solution to overcrowding is selection methods, and as far as the forum is concerned, that means curation, either from the top or the bottom.

We do have a curation from the bottom of sorts - if people are interested in a game there is a chance they will reply and bump the thread, but it's rather crude.

Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    Because of the thrill of finding something new and cool nobody knows about yet? I used to follow IndieGames.com exactly for that reason.
    I guess I rely on different sources to find out about new games :)

Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post

Guess it won't hurt adding, since only mods see these threads if everything goes right, that the vast majority of submissions is for PC games. While there is no guarantee this won't change over time, there's no avalanche ready to roll in if or when the 'ban' is lifted.
    That's good to know, especially for the mod workload.

Never go full Wulf.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    I cannot decide if that post is oddly appropriate or not.

FYI I voted no to promoting mobile games. There's enough noise in the promotion subforum as it is.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    The Red Blades, a Battle Brothers AAR

I cannot decide if that post is oddly appropriate or not.
    That's funny - I could've sworn there was a remotely relevant post there before. It has been edited...to retroactively insert spam? What a time to be alive.

Never go full Wulf.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Some of the most PC as fuck games are on mobile,
    Color me deeply skeptical. Care to cite a few examples?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    Color me deeply skeptical. Care to cite a few examples?
    If I stick to Android (never had an Tele-apple) and games never ported to PC?
    Hoplite hexgrid turn based Dungeon crawler with huge build diversity.
    Sure some of them got ported but Eidos' Go! Games are perfectly interesting puzzlers that could easily have been indie releases on PC.
    Monument Valley

Bridge Constructor, was that ported damn, this harder than I thought nearly all the best PCesque games are ported back or forth from phones and PC.
    I am once again writing a blog, vaguely about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

In case of forum degradation pull cord.

Hunters / Hunters 2.

All those board game adaptations that really ought to be on PC:

Lords of Waterdeep.
    Agricola
    LeHavre
    Stone Age
    Tigris and Euphrates
    Tikal
    Puerto Rico
    Titan HD
    Caylus
    Dominant Species.

Some mobile games have made the leap to PC, and you wouldn't know they were mobile games first.

Sentinels of the Multiverse.
    Out There.
    Ascension (the deck building game, there are a fair number of games with "ascension" in the name on Steam).
    Ticket to Ride.

I think of my Android tablet as my gaming PC's little sister. I'm all for the idea that TRULY GOOD mobile games might get highlighted here, the same way that truly good PC games do.