Can't subscribe to comments

I can't subscribe to my own comments here -- when I click 'confirm' in the subscription email, I get "Your subscription could not be activated, it may have expired."

Anyone knows how to fix this? Is it a problem with my account? It seems to be working correctly (I can comment, after all), but I had to register again to post this on the forum (which is weird, but I don't know if it's intentional or not).

Anyone? Please? This is a very urgent matter, my efficiency in contributing to flamewars is severly limited.

I've only received that message when I was already subscribed to comments and tried to subscribe again.

If you haven't checked the spam folder for your email, now it would be a good time to do so. Someone else had a similar problem recently and it turned out their notifications from RPS were simply eaten by grues, in the dark, dank spam folder.
    The Onward March of Bundles - filling your backlog since 1911. For a list of active deals, and more, click here.
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

I get the emails, the message comes up when I click the 'Confirm Follow' button and I'm redirected to the Wordpress subscriptions page. (Also, my previous comment subscriptions are gone as well.) I just can't figure out what happened, my account seems to work properly otherwise. Google searches only point me to questions by site admins, often related to a component called Jetpack, so I thought I'd ask here in case something happened with the site engine.

Have you recently installed, updated or are using any browser extension or security software that may be affecting the handling of cookies or script execution?

Also, before I escalate this issue, can you make sure there are no absolutely no emails from RPS in your spam folder?

Finally, have comment subscriptions ever worked for you before? IOW is this a recent change in the site behavior, or rather a problem you always had?

Quote Originally Posted by thelastpointer View Post
    but I had to register again to post this on the forum (which is weird, but I don't know if it's intentional or not).
    Yes, this is how it's supposed to work: forum and blog accounts are completely separate entities because RPS uses different software to run these two parts of the site. They could be made to talk to each other, however the administration don't want to use a bridge for technical reasons.

The same credentials can be safely used on the two parts of the site, as long as the username hasn't been taken.
    The Onward March of Bundles - filling your backlog since 1911. For a list of active deals, and more, click here.
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

It... seems to be working now. Just to make sure I got no RPS mail in the spam folder, I double-checked them again. Out of curiosity, I clicked on an old "confirm follow", and it worked! As well as the new ones! The thing is, I noticed that I wasn't logged in to Wordpress; when I logged back in, the "subscription expired" error came back.

So now I changed my RPS commenter account email address to that which I normally use with Wordpress, I guess that will fix it. I'll report back if it did.

Interestingly, each and every thread I tried to subscribe to is listed as "pending" now. I guess there was some Wordpress/RPS account clash...?

So.

When I'm not logged in to Wordpress, I get all the old subscriptions and all is dandy.

If I'm logged in, I only have one subscription, which I just confirmed.

Anyway, I get the emails now. So, for anyone curious: the solution was to make sure that the RPS account email address and the email address of the Wordpress account with which you're currently logged in is the same.

Glad you found a solution.