Obscure Node

Supporter articles blocking regular content

Hey guys,

I mentioned that some time in the past in comments under one article, but it seems noone seen that there, so let's try here.

Since a few weeks there are occasionally problems with RPS showing supporter-only articles links or banners to me, even though I don't have supporter status. Of course I would understand if this was just a way of promoting the subscription, but I'm not sure it is. It looks more like an error.

Right now, for example, I cannot use RPS features link, because it forwards me to the 'only for supporters' page. And that's basically the only easy way to get the real meat of RPS. All the best articles are extremely quickly disappearing from the mainpage, pushed out by news or basically PR mailings with some funny comments (yeah, they are funny, but how many one can read, especially about games that are not even released yet). But that is another topic (and I saw there is already a discussion here about redesigning the website).

Back to topic - another example is that I can see an article in the top menu (the banners) and there is no indication it's supporters-only. For example right now it is this one about Mass Effect. This sometimes happen on the right side of the page (below the news) as well.

So, is this on purpose or a bug? If it's on purpose, I think it's not done well. If it's a bug, I hope it can be fixed. Thanks.
    Last edited by froz; 27-03-2017 at 10:07 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    There's some weirdness at the moment. If I search for "Mass Effect" in the search block I get the supporter redirect...

It does the same for me with the Mass Effect Andromeda tag. This is very strange, I tried to check whether there was any way to list the supporter articles that have gone public, but that's impossible too. I e-mailed RPS about this, hopefully they look into it.

Obscure Node
    Looks like it was fixed. I don't get that anymore. Thanks.

Well, not quite. I can now browse the first two pages (1) (2) of RPS features, but the third (3) is supporter-only again. At least there are unlocked features in this list, like "I wish Mass Effect was like The Expanse", but then "I have made my peace with third-party game clients" is also in the list, and it's supporter-only. And the supporter tag remains inaccessible to non-supporters.

Edit: Looks like fixes are in progress because features from page 3 and onward are now accessible to me, as is the supporter tag page, but many articles listed are still locked away in spite of appearing in the results.

Edit2: Okay, now the supporter tag page is back to being locked off. What the hell is going on?
    Last edited by LTK; 11-04-2017 at 12:21 AM.

Having the same issue (unless this is intentional), the sidebar recommends me articles I'm not allowed to read. On the front page right now, there's a link to the Pipwick Papers: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...ick-papers-21/ but after clicking it I actually get https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/supporter-redirect/

The most frustrating part is that I open links in background tabs, and the URL is rewritten when this happens. By the time I get to the background tab, I no longer remember what article it was that I clicked on, and I can't bookmark it to check back on in a month or so either.

EDIT: A similar thing is also happening to links articles appearing in the RSS feed. If I click on the article "I have made my peace with third-party game clients - Alec Meer", I get sent to http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/RockP...3/L3EYE_HvPpY/ (Note, this is not the actual URL of the article, but some click tracking stuff). It eventually redirects to that https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/supporter-redirect/ page.

So maybe it's this intermediate click tracking stuff that's redirecting incorrectly?
    Last edited by charlesg; 13-04-2017 at 10:33 AM.

For reporting problems with the supporter program, please check this post!
    The Onward March of Bundles - For an overview of bundle deals, and more, click here. The new Humble Monthly June comes with Paradox's latest grand strategy game set in space Stellaris, and more fab indie games. If you like what I'm doing, and are a new subscriber, please consider using this link, throw some monies at me, at no cost or inconvenience to you. Thanks! Me on Steam and HowLongToBeat.

"I'm too big of a hothead, I've got a history, I've got implants...take your pick."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Redirect on the main page now... I guess the fix made it worse?
    It is a technical difference, but's there none the less.

Activated Node
    I just searched for "Tölva" (and "Tolva") on the main page and got redirected to the "sorry, only for supporters"-page. That's not working as intended, is it?

Obscure Node
    I'm also getting "supporter only" redirects on various attempts to read the Featured Articles posts.
    Sometimes it's whenever I clock the Features menu item (especially on Mobile), sometime when I click the "older articles" link at the bottom of one of the Featured Articles tag pages.
    At the moment, I get it when trying to access page 5 of features: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/cat...ticles/page/5/

Any idea if this is intentional?