Obscure Node

Steam starts Accepting Bitcoin ... and I didn't Learn that Here? Dissappointment.

So... Other non-game major news outlets including the Toronto Star (a dead-tree paper) have released articles stating that Valve/Steam are accepting bitcoin payment. I am truly and massively disappointed that this has not yet been reported by RPS.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It's possibly because it's not really about games, and while it's an interesting story in its own right, it's not actually going to have a huge effect on RPS readers either.

Or they just haven't got around to it yet.

Also, the bitcoin dream is dead. Steam is doing this well past the point where it might have actually mattered.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Aerothorn View Post
    Also, the bitcoin dream is dead. Steam is doing this well past the point where it might have actually mattered.
    I strongly disagree. While mining Bitcoin now takes investment and significant amounts of Watts, Bitcoin as crypto currency is very pertinent. As the articles point out, many areas where gaming is emerging lack the financial infrastructure to support creditcards and/or paypal. Accepting bitcoin could lead to new Steam members where there would otherwise be few.

Yes, admittedly, Valve signs on _after_ M$, but in the fight against the Winblows 10 walled garden, this is all-the-more important.

As for the previous post: this not being about games? How you pay for your games is very much "about games" ...

Quote Originally Posted by zBeeble View Post
    As for the previous post: this not being about games? How you pay for your games is very much "about games" ...
    I cannot speak for them, I'm just another user thinking aloud here. But...

Let's look at it another way: does RPS run a post every time a store adds new payment methods ?

I know, I know: "but it's Steam not some back alley street vendor!". True. And bitcoin being a cryptocurrency, there's some key differences from traditional payment methods which indeed makes it more accessible for some audiences.

But for a lot of people who can't/won't use the established Western credit cards circuits or Paypal. Stores adding something as PaySafeCard may be even more important than Bitcoin, or if that example is not satisfying you, feel free to pick another one that is more significant, being a Westerner myself I'm not terribly knowledgeable about alternative payment methods.

Well? I don't remember RPS ever paying attention.

Finally, those same key differences mentioned above also are linked to some sensitive issues with cryptocurrencies, it's even possible that RPS has their own reasons for deciding to avoid coverage as well.

Again, just my two cents.

PS: this is just about the only post mentioning bitcoin on RPS.
    The Onward March of Bundles - filling your backlog since 1911. For a list of active deals, and more, click here.
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

In the long distant future of humans, when all currency has lost meaning and society is structured around concepts beyond our current comprehension, there will still be people running cryptocurrency farms.

This is why they will never matter.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

In my experience, the only people who still care about using bitcoin for legit transactions are those looking to cash out.

Given your first post on RPS is on this subject, I'm going to draw my own conclusions about your motivation.

Quote Originally Posted by thedosbox View Post
    In my experience, the only people who still care about using bitcoin for legit transactions are those looking to cash out.

Given your first post on RPS is on this subject, I'm going to draw my own conclusions about your motivation.
    lol. good laugh, thanks
    Rock, Pen&Paper, Shotgun

"the operator of toast is a person"

Who cares? Do you want a news article when GOG adds PayPal? Or Origin moves payment processor to Stripe? (Examples, may already exist)

Bitcoin is not news. The only people who care are the few people who bother to use it, hence an article would be of interest to very few. Ergo it isn't worth posting.
    RPS Mumble Server [mumble.rockpapershotgun.com:64738]
    ServerAdmin

He cares because bitcoin isn't real money, buying something with monopoly money would be similarly exciting.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

The question has been provided with a satisfying answer, I think, and the tones have been turning a bit hostile and needlessly so, so I'm locking this one.

OP please PM if there's anything you feel like adding.
    The Onward March of Bundles - filling your backlog since 1911. For a list of active deals, and more, click here.
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"