Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Legends of Dawn - another developer shafting it's backers?

Legends of Dawn appears to be an ARPG - it ran a successful Kickstarter and Greenlight campaign - and released on Steam today (although it's dated as yesterday for some reason).

I mention this because people who backed it on Kickstarter are surprised by this, given that people buying it on Steam today can install and play it but they've heard nothing from the developer.

Indeed, aside from running 2 successful campaigns, the developer's communications appear to be pretty poor - there are no reviews, no previews, the trailers are stulted and dull - I'm AMAZED anyone backed it or Greenlighted it based on the information available.

It really reflects badly on you when you ask people for money WAY ahead of release and then just release it at a lower price without so much as a 'thanks'

and yes, I know KS is more than a pre-ordering system - but in this case I'm not sure it was even that??

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    That is really shitty. They also only released updates once a month, one of which was just to get people to vote on Greenlight. While that isn't Wasteland 2 bad (all the updates are on a separate blog, so KS updates come every few months), it's certainly not Project Eternity good. If I had to guess I'd say that they probably viewed Kickstarter as a pitch, not an open development process, and they'll have a much harder time getting the funds they need for the next one.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I get what you're saying but it's a small team and they HAVE issued an apology.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/234980...1765397176312/

I didn't back it, only found out about it this morning while perusing Steam so I'm mainly curious to know if it's any good. Anyone playing it?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by frightlever View Post
    I get what you're saying but it's a small team and they HAVE issued an apology.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/234980...1765397176312/

I didn't back it, only found out about it this morning while perusing Steam so I'm mainly curious to know if it's any good. Anyone playing it?
    They didn't really have any other choice and I don't buy the "we're only a small team" bullshit - you ask people for money to finish your game and in return you ignore what you promised them!? You ask people to back your game to get on Steam - it gets on Steam - you can't even be bothered to communicate with people!?

I only found all this whilst I was trying to find-out about the game - early reports I've seen since aren't promising, frankly.

Reports are of limited options, frequent crashes and an overall slow pace. I'm waiting for more feedback, to see if the developers continue to work on it and - well - I've not played Van Helsing yet and that looks a million times better.

p.s. there are other Greenlight 'black hole' games out there - Kingdom Rush was Greenlit and hasn't been heard of since - not a peep from the developer on the PC version in months....

Lessons in how NOT to use Greenlight (and KS) seem plentiful.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Happened to Botanicula, where it got a release day Humble Bundle and people had pre-ordered it on GoG.com for full price ($10).

Strike Suit Zero's post mortrem on pricing:
    7- Pricing. When planning the campaign, we knew the retail price was going to be about $20 and we thought we had prepared that way. We offered the game at $15 for the early bird backers (limited to 1,000) and at $20 as the first price point where you can get the game otherwise, with a few, very anecdotal perks. BUT – when launching on Steam, you usually do a discount, in our case this was 20% off, meaning the game was at $16 at launch… That went way over our heads back when planning (and while we did research what other projects have done, very few had launched and encountered this issue – I now know that others ran into the same problem) and we got criticized by some backers, who were feeling that they were being punished when they had backed the project before anyone and should been treated better. It felt even more painful as they felt the game was almost ready before the campaign and would have launched without their support (they were wrong on this, but that was their perception).
    There was also strong support from another part of the backer community which answered the criticism better than the studio could have and basically said they were fine with what happened with the pricing as “Kickstarter is about crowdfunding, not about pre-ordering projects on the cheap”. The plan had always been to be generous and to go beyond what had been promised as rewards, and hopefully it has shown, at least in a small way, with the studio offering discount codes for the new content to the backers for instance. The idea was always to keep backers happy – and the studio has this very much in mind.
    If its a Kickstarter, you are paying to help fund the development of the game, not snag a snazzy cheap pre-order price, which a lot of people are putting in the Kickstarter for. I think its the fault that its become standard to offer a limited cheaper KS tier and to discount on release. Discounting on release is rewarding your first buyers for a cheaper price and I think is a great idea. Its better than releasing at full price and discounting 1-2 months later, shafting the people who took that early leap before much feedback or reviews.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    Happened to Botanicula, where it got a release day Humble Bundle and people had pre-ordered it on GoG.com for full price ($10).

Strike Suit Zero's post mortrem on pricing:

If its a Kickstarter, you are paying to help fund the development of the game, not snag a snazzy cheap pre-order price, which a lot of people are putting in the Kickstarter for. I think its the fault that its become standard to offer a limited cheaper KS tier and to discount on release. Discounting on release is rewarding your first buyers for a cheaper price and I think is a great idea. Its better than releasing at full price and discounting 1-2 months later, shafting the people who took that early leap before much feedback or reviews.
    Discounting before release is rewarding your even earlier buyers. That's better than offering a full price, shafting the people who took that early leap before the game was released.

If everyone released their projects at a lower price then their lowest backer tier, Kickstarter wouldn't work that well. It's basically asking buyers to take on an increased risk at an increased price, especially if Beta access is a reward tier. If everyone who just got a copy of the game waited until release, Strike Suit Zero would have lost over a quarter of its funding. Same for PE. That's before the inevitable loss in and excitement from losing 60% of your backers. So the devs get less money to make the game, everyone gets a worse game, and several marginal projects do not get funded.

It was a dick move, and instead of apologizing for it they justified themselves by assuming that fans should be eternally grateful that their allowed to fund them, and then trying to mollify them with coupons. That's shitty. You don't treat the people who believe in you worse than generic customers.