Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Would you eat insects?

The thought is revolting of course, but then I ask myself: I have no trouble eating many kinds of crustaceans, having been exposed to their brutal killing and dismemberment process from an early age, and they're not much unlike water insects, right? of course the difference is very rarely the thing is eaten whole, which is the disgusting part.

But you can roast crickets and turn them into a flour, a food containing a lot of high-quality proteins and an excellent micronutrient profile, and if that still sounds disgusting to you, I'll mention that the metrics for, respectively, the cleanliness of grain and rice are amount of rat feces and number of insect segments per unit of weight, so yeah, when you're eating delicious cookies you're actually eating rat turds (don't worry, you can thank me later for this reveal)

Besides their desirable nutritional properties, they're vastly more efficient than traditional livestock thus reducing the load on the environment, which is widely(?) regarded as unsustainable.

I love eating meat, and whenever a cricket slips in the house, I trap it in a box and free it outside, but I don't think I'd mind eating cricket too much ...truth to be told, I love chickens to bits and eat chicken meat anyway (just try not to think about it and focus on the deliciousness).

A startup is making protein bars out of cricket flour (something I'm not too interested in, protein bars are usually full of stuff I don't want to eat and vastly overpriced anyway), but I read cricket flour is beginning to be commercially available which may be more interesting to me.
    The Onward March of Bundles - filling your backlog since 1911
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'm fine to eat them as long as they're tasty and rendered in a way that I can't tell what it used to be. I'd have reservations about just biting into the front of a dead pig's face, too, but pork chops are quite nice. I've no problem with the idea beyond the visual.

Possibly. If they were covered in chocolate.. and I was high on cannabis.
    Steam: dead moms walking
    also check out
    the Game Orphanage and RPS/NA

How much did they pay bear grills?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    If tasty and good for me? Sure.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Eww, almost certainly sure I would not eat any insect.
    I'm too picky eater to try such a things.

Quote Originally Posted by Alms
    Besides their desirable nutritional properties, they're vastly more efficient than traditional livestock thus reducing the load on the environment, which is widely(?) regarded as unsustainable.
    That does depend on which particular technique is being used. I found this forbes article that explains matters rather richly, but basically: There's quite a bit of traditional livestock practices which are more effecient then is usually advertised - That being said, insects are still an extremely effecient source nevertheless.

I'm fine to eat them as long as they're tasty and rendered in a way that I can't tell what it used to be. I'd have reservations about just biting into the front of a dead pig's face, too, but pork chops are quite nice. I've no problem with the idea beyond the visual.
    Hmm, I always wondered at this idea - quite a lot of people I know have trouble eating animals when they are reminded of the fact that they are indeed eating animals. But if that bothers you... Why not eat less meat? sorry for making a bit of a baseless assumption on you, Serene, but the aforementioned people do still eat meat on a daily basis even though they feel uneasy when imagining that what they are eating used to be a living being.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    Hmm, I always wondered at this idea - quite a lot of people I know have trouble eating animals when they are reminded of the fact that they are indeed eating animals. But if that bothers you... Why not eat less meat? sorry for making a bit of a baseless assumption on you, Serene, but the aforementioned people do still eat meat on a daily basis even though they feel uneasy when imagining that what they are eating used to be a living being.
    It is very easy not to imagine it. So I feel uneasy very rarely. My feelings regarding meat eating are actually kind of complex so I might not be the best person to answer on behalf of everyone else, as it were, but I tend to most often consider it when I'm not eating, and whether a momentary convenience or experience of pleasure for me is worth the entire experience of sending a creature to an abattoir. But since so few things remind me of animals when I'm eating them, and since the few that do (eg fish, or lobster) have become so familiar that the dissonance has been blunted, I don't experience much unease whilst consuming meat for that to be the reason why I might wish to consume less of it.

My understanding is that they're actually fairly good eatin' after you get over the ick factor. A nice crunch and decent flavor. And that they're particularly good fried. And honestly, if you're fine with eating things like shrimp and crab, who live off of other creatures' filth and excrement, I'm pretty sure you could get over the insect ick.

That said I'm vegetarian, so the only insects I need to worry about eating are the ones that fly into my mouth while I'm cycling. Phew, eh?

And the spiders that crawl into your mouth each night.

And the botflies under your skin

Btw I can't really look at shrimps and eat them unless they are babies. *shrugs*

And I wonder what kind of insect I could eat around here.
    Last edited by Wenz; 23-07-2015 at 10:11 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    Nope, I stay away from food with an exoskeleton, so arthropods are out of the question. I don't mind of others want to stuff themselves with the little monsters though, and if I had to I think I'd rather eat crickets bred in a controlled environment than crustaceans as the latter tend to feed on rotten dead things.

I don't eat much meat in any case and am pretty picky about the origins of what I buy, so I don't feel much guilt about environmental impact or the morality of the meat industry.

And I just found out some flowers are good once fried.
    Specifically pumpkin flowers.

Quote Originally Posted by Skalpadda View Post
    Nope, I stay away from food with an exoskeleton
    Screw you, crab and lobster are awesome.

Ants don't look that revolting though. Once fried (?).

Would try locust, seeing their diet is common crops. Would avoid scavenger insects like ants, they eat anything and that could be dangerous to health.

As far as I understand it you grow ants youself, giant ones, and eat their asses. Which are the size of nuts and taste like acid nuts. Yeah I'm fine with my rabbit legs and stuff.

Honey wins I guess

Honey wins I guess
    Oh god yes.

Internet says bees eating candies make blue-ish/rainbow coloured honey.
    Not sure if toxic or just very sweet.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus TheDreamlord's Avatar
    I have eaten crickets in Thailand (they were meh), ants in Vietnam (in a salad, they were just some crunchy bits like deep fried onion skin), and deep fried spiders in Cambodia, but only the legs of the spider, I could not bring myself to bite into the body. I am arachnophobic and that took quite some time to muster the courage to bite on a leg. I doubt I'll do it again.

Insects can be ground to form pastes that can be used more extensively for cooking. They are unappetising of course, but a great source of protein. Having said that, I'd rather not encounter a future where we would have to use insects as a primary source for protein. I like my beef thankyouverymuch!