Secondary Hivemind Nexus

When computer games and real life objects collide...

So, I got a new toaster - and it looks like it was the lovechild of Deus Ex: Human Resources and Fallout 4:

CTJ4003W-left-brillante.jpg

I mean seriously, what was going on in the designer's mind? But I like it. It actually looks really good in person. It's still very bizarre and makes me think of DE:HR particularly every time I see it (this sort of styling was not uncommon there - the tri-poly thing).

What was even weirder was every other toaster that cost more than it just looked straight Fallout. I mean no fucking around maximum "re-imagined 1950s". I mean look at this shit:

http://www.johnlewis.com/browse/elec...asters/_/N-aic

Just dent any one of those up and it could be in a Fallout game instantly. You could even have different toasters for different factions. Which is interesting because it does suggest that maybe the decision to double-down on 1950s-ness in FO4 might have actually been more complex than simple design conservatism - maybe they felt it was en vogue? It's still incompetent but...

(As an aside I felt like I 40 for a toaster was pretty steep but it was the fourth-cheapest toaster they had at the store and I had a gift card! It does make very good toast at least... and fuck me but who spends 160 on a two-slice toaster jesus?)

Anyway, have you seen any real-world objects which seem like they'd fit right into stylized computer games?

There is a current trend in product design involving this kind of suracing. I think it's got to do with the advancements in generative and parametric design that makes it easier to get these results. Like during the 90's when the advancements in CAD meant that designers suddenly could make all kinds of organic and curved shapes that were really difficult to achieve before.

Our toaster is a British-made 3-slicer that looks like it could have been made from bakelite in the '50s, so yeah, could fit into Fallout.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Gus_Smedstad's Avatar
    The toasters on Amazon generally look a bit more modern than that, but the one that leaped out at me was this $150 monstrosity:

If it weren't an actual product I'd think it was parody. The label says "this toaster is smeg." Haven't they seen Red Dwarf?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BillButNotBen's Avatar
    I hope this is the right video. I don't have sound right now...

Quote Originally Posted by LexW View Post

Anyway, have you seen any real-world objects which seem like they'd fit right into stylized computer games?
    Oh, definitely. I have a thing for modern design furniture, and there are many Mirror's Edge-lookalike chairs and sofas out there (sleek, minimalist). I love ME too, so I don't consider that to be a bad thing.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. G3rt

Guild Wars 2 characters: Norgothus (Norn Necromancer), Maggrivo (Charr Warrior)

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    Never go full Wulf.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BillButNotBen's Avatar
    You need some Nike Air Rifts and to paint long red lines around your house. ;-)