Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Activated Node

Tragic news about a guildmate

I'm sad to be the bearer of bad news, but unfortunately our friend and guildmate Mark, whom you all know as Thrazz, died 2 weeks ago. He was diagnosed with cancer in December after being hospitalised, and his doctors soon concluded that it was already too late stage for the tumour to be removed. He was released from hospital on Christmas Eve and spent his last few weeks at home with his family.

I met Mark 15 years ago, when we were both at university, and we became good friends after we realised just how many geeky interests we had in common. Although we only saw each other a couple times a year lately, due to living at opposite ends of the country, we chatted every day over the internet, and gamed online frequently. The first MMO we played together was Guild Wars, 11 years ago now (although he had also played WoW before that, which I never got into), and since then we toured many virtual worlds together, kicking ass and sharing lots of laughs along the way. We also dabbled in RTSs, RPGs, games like Blood Bowl, and even old emulated arcade games with co-op modes when we could get in the same room together, but, frankly, it didn't matter what game we were actually playing, because we were mates and it was each other's company that we enjoyed, more than the game.

We were both in this guild since GW2 launched (him a couple days before me actually: it was Mark who got me to join) and both this game and you lovely folks were definitely special to him, as for me. I don't know if any of you got particularly close to him, but I know that some of you spent hundreds of hours with him in PvP and WvW in particular, so I thought you would appreciate being told about his death. He was way too young to have gotten such a horrible disease, and the thought of not having him around anymore makes all the things that we used to enjoy together feel dry and joyless. This is why I haven't been in-game lately, but I promise I'll log in a few times in the next few days to talk to any of you who want to know more details or just need to chat. I'll also be responding to this thread of course.

This is difficult to write about, so I'm going to sign off now, but I promise I'll write more soon, and I'll reply to anyone who wants to ask anything.

Michael (Corn)

So sorry to hear that

I didn't know him as I only joined in September but it sounds like he was a top man, and I miss him anyway. Sorry for you and the family's loss, and indeed everyone here who knew him.

Emmet

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Thanks for letting us know Michael, forgive the brevity of my message to this shocking news, kinda of at a loss for words, he will be sorely missed by everyone in the Guild. My deepest condolences, to you as a close friend of his and to his family and friends.
    Last edited by fersumengin; 18-02-2016 at 10:32 AM.
    GW2: fersumengin, Ulstermen, Hera Tempastatis
    Planetside 2: Fersumengin, (VS) Fersumengine (NC)
    Steam and UPLAY: Fersumengin
    Battlenet: rnc100#1317

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MonkeyMonster's Avatar
    Always hard to write a reply to such news let alone pen the notice yourself. He was a great guy and will indeed be missed by those who knew him just online let alone as a great buddy irl. It's crap, totally crap and I am sad for your loss.

We're here should it help, just ask.
    Iain
    Monksbjornsson, a glass cannon of nordic origins and gleeful slaughterer of rabbits
    Monksbane, hardcore spectre of ghastly damage
    Monksgaard, hunter of dragons with bow and trap
    Monkscourge, provider of bonus conditions you didn't know you needed
    Monksfenrisson, a burning scandinavian who can support his friends at party time
    Monksderwydd, an irish chap who can wield staffs, bows and pets

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jha4ceb's Avatar
    That's terrible news. My thoughts and condolences both to you and to his family.
    GW2: Saphnabylni & co.

My condolences along with all the others. Losing someone close is horrible especially when it's so sudden. As Monkey said, we're here if it helps.

Sorry to hear that, I remember seeing him in Heart of the Mists occasionally. My condolences to his family and friends.

That's terrible news. My condolences to his family and friends alike.

I remember seeing him run around in WvW since the early days of the game. I always thought of him as a most central part of both RPS and GH.
    Last edited by Squiz; 18-02-2016 at 06:09 PM.
    Forum janitor in training.

Activated Node
    My condolences to everyone close to him. I definitely remember him, although I hadn't known him very well, he will be missed.

Very sorry to hear about Thrazz, he was a cool guy and will be sorely missed. My thoughts are with you and his family. You and Thrazz were the ones who helped me to enjoy Pvp in the first place.
    "Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so"

Activated Node
    So sorry to hear, and as other people have said please know that we're here if you need us.

I've pinned the thread for the while being so people have a chance to spot it.
    Last edited by Squiz; 19-02-2016 at 07:05 AM.
    Forum janitor in training.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MonkeyMonster's Avatar
    Thanks Squiz, it's been popping around in my head all day - thrazz/sendmark. As Rebs has said - was a key bringer of levity and skill to pvp and partnering up with him always made for a good time, when he wasn't off solo winning all the time, the git.

Sorely sorely missed.
    Monksbjornsson, a glass cannon of nordic origins and gleeful slaughterer of rabbits
    Monksbane, hardcore spectre of ghastly damage
    Monksgaard, hunter of dragons with bow and trap
    Monkscourge, provider of bonus conditions you didn't know you needed
    Monksfenrisson, a burning scandinavian who can support his friends at party time
    Monksderwydd, an irish chap who can wield staffs, bows and pets

Well this fucking sucks. Sorry for your loss. My thoughts go to you and his family.

I only sorta knew Thrazz as the guy who knew how to warrior PVP and as a warrior PVP scrub I did kinda look up to him. I'll never get to test my blade against his again. :c

Fucking cancer.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    This is very sad to hear, but thank you for letting us know.

Absolutely terrible news, really sorry to hear it. Awful to lose someone like this.
    If it's called Vlupius or Vlupia, it's probably me.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus hawksbane's Avatar
    I remember running around in WvW with Thrazz back in the early days and later in PvP.
    He will be missed.
    Hawksbane | Ripley Hawkswind | Aconitum Hawkshood | Fuchsia Panthera
    Steam ID: Hawksbane

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tweetiti's Avatar
    Unfortunately I understand your pain and I thank you Corn for letting us know. I am happy that we gave him some joy in the game and please do keep in touch with us in game as promised . My heart goes out to you and Thrazz family.
    Tweetiti, known in GW2 also as (ex Knickers) Burlesque Galore, Melons of Steel, Liltweetie, Tweet Manstalker and Tweetfanny Adams
    Subscribe to our @RPS_GW2 Twitter

Thanks for letting us know, he's one of the guild old timers that I was unconsciously missing from RPS. He was a good lad and we had a fun in WvW and we might even have played some sPvP (yeah, I know, right) some ages ago together.

You might think that online gaming comes and goes, but I like to believe that RPS is more than that and the replies to this thread prove it - so writing about it is much appreciated Michael.
    [GW2] The Blackfyre clan: Aliss (Guardian) Alyss (Mesmer) Lyss (Engineer) and others.

My condolances. I don't think I've met him, but it's obvious that he meant a lot to you all.

If you want, I can contact the site's owners about this, and ask if they can put up a memorial post on the main site, like we did when Sophia passed. I can't promise anything, but just let me know if you feel something of this kind to be appropriate.
    Dirt Rally: The League!
    "Having a creative vision doesn’t mean rejecting good ideas when you recognize them. In fact stubbornly sticking to the original vision in the face of better ideas is a sign of an insecure or egotistical artist, and is the kind of thinking that got us Daikatana." - KillahMate