Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Revenant thread - Dissociative Identity Disorder support group

I absolutely in love with this! Great damage and sustain, lots of active defense and support, cool animations and profession specific fluff . I was planing to explore jungles on my engi at first, but then i made this and can't stop playing it!

PVE

Herald - Dps/Support (raid)

http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Herald_-_DPS/Support

Herald - S/A

Here's his updated video guide: Youtube (8m28s)

http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Herald_-_S/A
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKIaeteedbk

Might bot with crazy damage and great utility.

PVP

Power Shiro/Glint

http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Herald_-_Power_Shiro

Same idea as pve build, you do boons, you do damage. Great mobility engage/disengage, burst, sustain, many mechanisms to mitigate or avoid damage, vulnerable to condis.
    Very versatile build, great for dueling and/or +1 fights.

Herald - Celestial Mallyx

http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Her...ndition_Mallyx

A condition-based Herald build with good amounts of boon removal, mixed damage, sustain, burst, and a unique playstyle.
    One of the meta defining builds right now (some esl teams run 2 of those).
    Thanks to many defensive traits and skills it allows you to run Vipers amulet and not get oneshotted. You also don't care about conditions at all thanks to easy 100% Resistance uptime.

General thoughts:

Glint:

Facet of Light - Infuse Light - your main "Oh-Shit" button, see your HP going down fast - double click your heal (just like ol' good engi).

Facet of Darkness - Gaze of Darkness - reveal (really useful again frogs) and in general it's blind and stunbreak.

Facet of Elements - Elemental Blast - only real damaging facet, you almost always will have swiftness in fights anyway, so i just burn it when it comes off cooldown, great for cleave and area denial.

Facet of Strength - Burst of Strength - i just leave it on passive all the time, because might.

Facet of Chaos - Chaotic Release - great for keeping party alive in hard moments, don't leave it on for too long. CC part is a hefty breakbar tool (also helps in South Tarir).

Facet of Nature - One with Nature - Burst it when you need boons, good when you burn bosses. Or just use it in Shiro when you don't have other facets.

Shiro:

Enchanted Daggers - is not only a good heal, but a good burst tool. If you know you don't need heals and just want to kill your target fast you can pop it before the fight. Works great with Unrelenting Assault.

Phase Traversal - was an awesome skill to travel before nerf, i was just targeting far away mobs and ambient creatures and mistsurfing to them. You still can do that, just on 5 sec cd. Keep in mind that you still can be hit and interrupted at the beginning of animation before you disappear.

Riposting Shadows - awesome stunbreak, another "Oh-shit" button, keep in mind that your legend is also a stunbreak, so you can switch to Shiro, break stun, and then roll. Works wonders on Wyverns for example, if you got caught in their blow-off move.

Impossible Odds - DPS don't forget about super speed, quickness also can be used for channeling/gathering/stuff.

Jade Winds - The CC, you can solo brake some bosses with this if you manage your energy.

Mallyx
    is awesome for condi control and raw stats buff of Embrace the Darkness is amazing.

Jalis
    is great for staying alive, has best heal between all the legends. Vengeful Hammers + Focused Siphoning and you can stand in the middle of Chak hive with many-many green numbers appearing on your screen.

Ventari
    is a bit useless since base healing is so low, but can be used for projectile defense. Blind-spam: with traited Salvation your move tablet skill is an AoE blind, every 2 seconds

I use sword main hand and switch off-hands a lot:
    - sword for block or pull (good for running around).
    - axe for max dps and great cc that pulls mobs together (good for event farming with many mobs).
    - shield when you need more sustain for your party.

Second set is Hammer, because Coalescence of Ruin can crit for 10-15k and it has much need projectile defense.

Post your builds and tell how you feel about revenants! (pm for edits , i'll happily add your info to the OP).
    Last edited by Denso; 05-02-2016 at 06:23 PM.
    Smoldur Ripjaw Revenant
    Gar Grond Engineer
    Foxmal Mesmer
    Typhus Necro

Various things about Revenant & Herald.

Sigils:

• Sword/X with Devastation puts out a very high amount of vulnerability.
      • Go Force/Air

• Staff/Hammer don't have direct vuln application, and you have a 7% bonus against enemies with vuln as well as life steal against them.
      • Go Force/Frailty on both if you do fractals at all.
      • Staff can be Force/Air if you only do open world, but hammer will not maintain 100% vuln uptime without it.

Runes:
    When you're leveling, until you fully unlock Herald, you'll have very bad access to swiftness. I would suggest runes of speed, crappy as the stats are. Traveler are better, but too expensive for something you'll overwrite soon. If you're brave, you can go for your proper runes straight away and rely on toggling Impossible Odds for superspeed when you're at 50 energy to move in the open world.

Other than that, your options are:
    • Rage
      • Good synergy with the Invocation line, and really, really cheap. 3rd-tier damage

• Strength
      • Extremely expensive, but best for keeping that Might topped up. 2nd-tier damage in groups, 1st-tier damage when alone

• Scholar
      • The pro option as usual. Only for those who can keep that 6th bonus up aaaalll the time. 1st-tier damage in groups, 2nd-tier damage alone

The Two Playstiles:
    Revenant can be played two ways. Each build has this capability, and its up to the player to figure out the appropriate mode on an encounter-by-encounter and moment-by-moment basis.

First is the Reactive mode. Here you'll generally be camping one legend - often Glint, but sometimes Mallyx or Ventari or Jalis for their utility and group support as needed, and managing your energy to stay above 50% (so you can pop any important skill at-need) but below 100% (so you're not wasting any energy generated).

Second is Burn mode. Here you take advantage of the fact that you get 50 energy every 10 seconds for free by switching legends on cooldown or as close as you can. You forego all reactive skills, and focus on putting out utterly disgusting amounts of damage, thorough a combination of legend upkeep skills and weapon burn skills (noted below).

Every legend has certain skills that you want to use in burn mode, and these are:

Shiro - Assassin: Impossible Odds, obviously.
    • Don't touch any other skill except the autoattack, or you'll bottom out on energy before you're ready to swap.

Mallyx - Demon: Embrace the Darkness, then all of your weapon burn skills.

Glint - Dragon: Your heal and all 3 utilties, as well Facet of Nature (F2). Go ham on your weapon burn skills.
    • Make sure to totally bottom out on Energy before swapping, so that Facet of Nature can go on its short cooldown. If you switch legend with it still on, you'll then have to toggle its active putting it on a much longer cooldown.
      • This is especially true if your swap legend is Shiro, as you can't have both Facet of Nature and Impossible Odds on at the same time - there's a cap of -10 degendation and IO does that all on its own.

• If you can spare the time & attention, Facet of Elements active skill, Elemental Blast, is a decent damage increase on a short enough coldown to be back up when you're next in Glint. Toggle it when you're down to about 3-4% energy.

Jalis - Dwarf: Not a legend well-suited to burning, but if you must - toggle Vengeful Hammers on spam you weapon burn skills.
    • Do note the hammers like to despawn and toggle the skill off when coming into contact with:
      • Walls
      • Ledges
      • Holes in terrain
      • Paving stones
      • Small decorations with collision

• However, they can make big numbers against enemies with very large hitboxes if you stand inside them.

Ventari - Centaur: Also not a burn legend, but if you absolutely have to toggle Protective Solace, and use a moderate amount of weapon burn skills, as this is a -8 degen compared to the -7 Glint/Mallyx/Jalis have. You might as well try to stay inside the bubble while you're at it.

Ramblings on weapon skills:

Sword/X:
    • First things first - everything except your autoattack is a damage loss, or its not a gain. Use these reactively, or to spend energy when in full burn mode (see later)
    • Sword #2 - Precision Strike: The same dps as auto, at a slight range but costs energy. The chill can be discounted. Use to poke things from outside melee range, or to burn.
    • Sword #3 - Unrelenting Assault: The 'stab all the things' skill. Not actually a damage gain, but it does give you might, and it evades. Use to get might if you're not at 25, to evade, or to burn.
      • Do note that it takes almost half a second for your character to start the attack - and start evading - after you activate the skill. Only use it to evade attacks with a looong tell, or you'll take the attack to the face while still in pre-skill.
      • Do also note that its hard to predict the timing of when you come out of it. Its fairly typical for beginner revenants to use it at the wrong time and then come out of UA right into an attack you don't have time to dodge. This will down you and make you look like a scrub. Practice makes perfect.
      • Finally, remember that it attacks all targets within range, so it should not be used when you're trying to quickly get rid of a single enemy in a group.

• Sword #4 - Duellist's Preparation: An excellent short-cooldown 2-second block, relatively cheap energy cost. The flip skill does ok damage, but don't use it unless you absolutely need the immob.
    • Sword #5 - Grasping Shadows: A temperamental pull at a considerably energy cost for its moderate effect on breakbars. Mostly useful for separating trash mobs, against break bars it will move you out of melee range while leaving your target in place, which may or may not be desired.
    • Axe #4 - Frigid Blitz: Good gap-closer, puts you opposite the target from where you were standing on cast generally behind target) but will sometimes fail to turn you facing the target. Chill is minimal and can be discounted. Use to close ranger or burn.
    • Axe #5 - Temporal Rift: Its a delayed aoe Pull. Nothing more to say here, use against breakbars.
    • Shield #4 - Envoy of Exuberance: A small AoE heal and protection, the protection is short enough to make it significantly hard to use. Use at your feet to heal yourself, target your allies to make them feel indebted to you, or use it to burn, in a pinch.
    • Shield #5 - Crystal Hibernation: 3s block with pulsing heal, its basically a second heal skill on a 25s cooldown.

Offhand choice depends on what you're fighting. If you don't need blocks or more heal, axe is good. If you need lots of blocks, sword is good. If you need more healing, go shield.

Staff:
    • Auto is ok. Damage is behind sword, but not so low you can't still comfortably kill things. Generally taken as a swap to Sword/X in fractal & dungeon fights where you don't need a ranged option, because of superior utility of #4 & #5.
    • Staff #2 - Punishing Sweep: Pretty good damage, puts weakness on your enemies which is always nice. The daze on the flip skill is very short, so its only worth using on non-breakbar targets, except to burn.
    • Staff #3 - Warding Rift: It blocks, it blinds, and spins too! A very nice defensive skill.
    • Staff #4 - Renewing Wave: Cleanses conditions in an area, does a small heal in an area, and its a blast finisher, AND you can use it while moving. The range is small, so if you want to use to cleanse conditions from allies you'll have to basically smash it into their face.
    • Staff #5 - Surge of the Mists: A small damage increase and an evade, this skill DECIMATES breakbars, so you generally want to keep it for that purpose. Can be used to burn, if you must, but its too useful to spend at random.

Hammer:
    • Your only ranged option. Damage is heavily dependant on skill #2, which depends on range, and its also energy-intensive. Do mind the auto pierces, so its best to target enemies at the back of the pack, should that be the case.
    • Hammer #2 - Coalescence of Ruin: Frankly disgusting ranged damage, with caveats.
      • Its slow so it fails against things that move a lot
      • Its costs a lot of energy to do it on cooldown
      • It only does good damage when you're very, very far away. Close up, its a damage loss.
      • Its a weird moving-field-projectile-thing, and it sometimes behaves strangely with elevation changes.

• Hammer #3 - Phase Smash - Same damage/second as the auto, an expensive energetically, but its an evade and a blast finisher. Mainly used for blasting fields, for the evade, or to burn.
      • Since the revenant physically moves to the target location while casting, enemies will try to target and/or move to you as you do this - this can be used to fake out enemies getting too close to you, in a pinch.

• Hammer #4 - Field of the Mists: A moving projectile-block wall with ~50% uptime. As a bonus, autoattacks while this is up will lifesteal, as its a Dark field. Can be used to protect allies, but its narrow (so they need to stack right on top of you) and not very tall (so arcing projectiles can go over it).
    • Hammer #5 - Drop the Hammer: 5-target 1200-range knockdown. Very slow, hard to use against moving targets - keep it for use against breakbars.

Regarding Crowd Control:
    Because of the necessities of balancing for their short cooldowns, the CC skills on the legends are far, far more expensive energy-wise for a given amount of effect on breakbars compared to the ones on your weapons.

Shiro's Jade Winds costs a ruinous 50 energy for only a 2-second stun, and is only useful against groups of targets, while Jalis' Forced Engagement will set you back 35 energy.

Therefore, legend CC skills should not be touched unless absolutely necessary when fighting enemies with breakbars - in the typical case of being in melee with sword/X and a glint/shiro setup, its better to weapon-swap to staff and use skill #5 than it is to use your elite skills - this results in greater damage to the breakbar, and greater damage to the target's health because of the energy savings.

The only exception is Glint's Elite, Chaotic Release, as it has no cost but a considerable cooldown - but note that because of the -5 degen rating on the passive that gates it, it must be used first if going for a burn, as you won't be able to activate it once all your other facets are active - all your other facets combined will put you at -7, so you will prevented from activating it due to the -10 degen cap.
    Last edited by Taverius; 03-11-2015 at 02:45 AM.
    Steam: Taverius
    GW2: Katekk | Astrid Lissani | Eindís Starfire | Lamya Medhea | Janina Björnsdóttir | Taizo Smokerend | Ylva Blightstep | Ásleif Stormwalk | Ashken Medhea

Very well done my minions. Tav, bring your summary from the other thread in here, you have a perfect second post.

Amazing boob sharing
    Ahem.

Also you shouldn't use FoN in Shiro because it prevents you from using Impossible Odds.
    [GW2] The Blackfyre clan: Aliss (Guardian) Alyss (Mesmer) Lyss (Engineer) and others.

Welp, that's a freudian typo.

I just burst it for booNs when switching to shiro.
    Smoldur Ripjaw Revenant
    Gar Grond Engineer
    Foxmal Mesmer
    Typhus Necro

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by noaru View Post
    Also you shouldn't use FoN in Shiro because it prevents you from using Impossible Odds.
    Of course the problem with that is you're stuck with the cooldown for it and nobody gets the boon duration, assuming you started in Glint.

The solution is to bring a chronomancer so you don't need your own quickness and can buff their quickness. It's amazing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    Actually nevermind that! It's the reason you run out of energy in the first place.

When you switch to Shiro you really want to do dps, it's mostly on burn phases and such. If zerg is big enough you'll have all boons anyways. If not, you have a trait that gives you 2% damage for each boon on you, so when you use One with Nature is 10% (besides all the boons) damage increase. Then you switch to Shiro and pump Impossible Odds, so you get 6th boon on your and it's quickness. Things are still susceptible to burst especially with all those breakbars.
    Smoldur Ripjaw Revenant
    Gar Grond Engineer
    Foxmal Mesmer
    Typhus Necro

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar
    Got my revenant to 80 yesterday, after spending a few decades in the Mad King's labyrinth. Then I made an Ascended hammer and sword (couldn't afford to make an axe, not even an exotic, so I had to use the ... Varago(?) that drops from ToT bags) and exotic armor.
    And then I went to Plains of Ashford and actually had a pretty hard time. The other starter regions were much easier when I was lower level and had worse weapons (I basically just mowed everything down). There was a ghost leader, and I don't know if it was a champ or what, but it downed me twice while I couldn't do any visible damage to it at all.
    That was a tad depressing (though to be fair, I singlehandedly took the grawl champ down to 5% without problems, so the two low level guys who had been dying to it could kill it, and the veteran trolls by the vista in the NE corner were no problem either).
    Then I went to Diessa and things were suddenly easy again, so I guess it's more to do with the scaling than with my build. Particularly your crit chance getting scaled way down seems to make rather a difference.
    The labyrinth was also far easier than it had been at low levels.

Anyway, berserker armor and weapons so far (based on a Brazil video I watched. Metabattle didnt have anything useful, although it rarely does for PvE), and I spent all my laurels on a Distinguished Circle of Logic and a Ring of Red Death, which at least made a noticeable difference. The other trinkets aren't much of anything so far; a Soldier's exotic accessory (one of those from the specialization collections) and an ascended Celestial accessory I got from a guild mission, plus a rare Berserker ring.

Runes are Traveler because I couldn't stomach doing a whole world completion without a movement speed boost (and I had five of them in my bank anyway, so only had to get one).

So it's a bit half-assed so far, but should work okay until I get better stuff. Mostly I feel like a higher crit chance would be worth aiming for.

One thing that really pisses me off is that the revenant uses the same stance settings for both over- and underwater. Since you can't use two of them underwater, that doesn't work at all. I have to change them every time I go underwater and I may already be in combat before I can do that.
    I hope they fix that.

It seems to me that underwater thing is unintended and hopefully be fixed soon.
    Smoldur Ripjaw Revenant
    Gar Grond Engineer
    Foxmal Mesmer
    Typhus Necro

I enjoy having no skills when I go underwater in Glint. Makes gameplay so much easier 10/10.
    [GW2] The Blackfyre clan: Aliss (Guardian) Alyss (Mesmer) Lyss (Engineer) and others.

I rambled a bit in the second post now.
    GW2: Katekk | Astrid Lissani | Eindís Starfire | Lamya Medhea | Janina Björnsdóttir | Taizo Smokerend | Ylva Blightstep | Ásleif Stormwalk | Ashken Medhea

That was a ramble crit with 300% crit damage Will give it a read later, thanks Tav!

Thanks for pitching in, Tav!

Also, why Gaze of Darkness doesn't reveal snipers of Itsel for some reason, they only can be detected with mastery it seems? (going for that one now, too tired of being oneshoted from stealth)
    Last edited by Denso; 03-11-2015 at 06:37 PM.
    Smoldur Ripjaw Revenant
    Gar Grond Engineer
    Foxmal Mesmer
    Typhus Necro

Try revealed on any PvE mobs in tyria, it does nothing - with the exception of the swamp trolls, on which it seems to work some of the time.

For maguuma i expect its because they want you to get the mastery yeah.

Obscure Node
    Anyone care to lend me some advice?

I've been meaning to pick up an alt to dabble with but can't really make up my mind on what class.
    The only character I've got is a guardian, with exotic weapons/armor and ascended trinkets, and have been glancing at the revenant or a mesmer.

Some pros and cons for me:
    * I've tested them both a bit with the pvp dummies and like their 'style' equally.
    * Mesmers have light armor while revenants have heavy - since my only other character also wears heavy I'd really rather have light, shallow as may be.
    * Mesmers seem overall more complicated and since I don't have a lot of time to play, nor am I particularly skilled, so that seems like quite a huge con for me. Especially since I want to be able to at least dabble in raids without bringing everyone down.
    * I don't have much gold so I'd rather not have to spend it all on expensive runes or multiple sets of armor and weapons.

Perhaps someone could nudge me in a rational direction?

Rev is pretty basic and can bring a lot to the team without much skillcap. If you're a herald mightbot you only use your aa and swap legends time to time. Your utils are also tied to your legends, so you are removed from painful choice of skills on your right side.

Mesmers are a lot more intricate in terms of mechanics, with chronomancer esp (although you DPS rotation is also basically your autoattack like on rev).

So i would suggest you pic mesmer, cuz it will make you a better player, and you have almost-revenant with your guard. Diversity is best way to keep thing fresh and learn new things.
    Smoldur Ripjaw Revenant
    Gar Grond Engineer
    Foxmal Mesmer
    Typhus Necro

Obscure Node
    Cheers mate, that seems like sound advice!

Quote Originally Posted by eek View Post
    Cheers mate, that seems like sound advice!
    Thanks! Also both Mesmer and Revenant have plenty of viable builds right now, can fill many roles. Being on top of meta!
    So whatever you choose you can be sure your profession is relevant.
    Smoldur Ripjaw Revenant
    Gar Grond Engineer
    Foxmal Mesmer
    Typhus Necro

Updated OP with new info from MetaBattle.
    Smoldur Ripjaw Revenant
    Gar Grond Engineer
    Foxmal Mesmer
    Typhus Necro

Even though Obal is not with D&D any longer, he's still updating his guides.
    Here's his updated video guide: Youtube (8m28s)

Basically, the revenant sword auto was nerfed but with the change to sword 2, the dps stays pretty much the same. Instead of spamming 1, you now spam 2 whenever possible and continue with 1.