Discord - Voice and Text Chat for the RPS Community

Discord is a free VOIP (Voice Over IP) and text chat client, allowing you to talk to other players during games and outside of them. It's stable and supports an overlay in most games that shows you who is talking, player lists and so forth. It also has a range of options to support streaming, game notifications and the like. There's a desktop app, mobile apps and a web client.

The server is run by Discord themselves and should not have any downtime. There's no limit to the number of players! Currently we're in the middle of setting up and transitioning over, but there'll be a list of text channels at the top and voice channels down below. We'll add permanent channels for popular games, otherwise use an empty one.

Our administration and moderator team should be easy to spot - look for the people in funky colours.

FAQ
    Do I have to use Push to Talk?
    Please do. It makes it much nicer for everybody else. However, PTT is only available on the desktop client. If you're using the web or mobile version it will be voice activated.

What happened to Mumble?
    We're moving off Mumble, as the software isn't being developed any more. The Mumble server still exists, but is planned for closure in early 2017.

There's no channel for the game I want to play!
    For now, pick an empty channel of any name. We'll be adding more channels up once nested channels are supported.

What's the ban appeal procedure?
    If you have been banned from Discord only, please PM Cei on the RPS forums. These bans will typically be of a short duration of up to one month. If you have been banned from both the RPS forums and Discord you will need to contact one of the moderation team in general and your case will be discussed. If you have been banned permanently from both RPS and Discord you will need to contact the RPS Editor in Chief with any appeal, whose email can be found in the About section of the main site.

Admin Team
    Server Administrator: Cei
    Senior Moderators: MoerasGrizzly, Anthile
    Moderators:
    Game Moderators:
    Last edited by Cei; 22-08-2016 at 04:16 PM.
    RPS Mumble Server [mumble.rockpapershotgun.com:64738]
    RPS Discord Server [Testing in progress! https://discord.gg/rockpapershotgun]
    ServerAdmin

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'm impressed at how quickly you went from "Nah, not really interested" to "OK, we're killing mumble".
    Guess it's time to install another VOIP client.

CMaster, Mumble will be around for another six months at least. It won't close until I'm happy with Discord, but to test Discord I need people to move over. If Discord proves unreliable then we'll just fall back to Mumble.
    ServerAdmin

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Cei View Post
    CMaster, Mumble will be around for another six months at least. It won't close until I'm happy with Discord, but to test Discord I need people to move over. If Discord proves unreliable then we'll just fall back to Mumble.
    Hey, It's a good thing. If Discord was able to produce such a swing in opinion, it must be much better. I've got no particular allegiance to any VOIP approach.

It has improved a lot since I took it for a spin around 6-8 months ago. The ongoing Mumble issues with stagnating development or bug fixes also provided a bit of a kick. I'm hopeful for Discord, but not 100% committed right now.
    ServerAdmin