Obscure Node

wasn't there a no-oceans thread?

I remember seeing a thread where people in certain geographies could buy games for people in other geographies, using preferable pricing.

Was that thread lost/closed/eaten by moths?

I don't remember one, but equally such a topic wouldn't really be suited to here in my opinion. It's a distinctly dodgy area legally, and RPS isn't a marketplace.
    RPS Mumble Server [mumble.rockpapershotgun.com:64738]
    ServerAdmin

You are of course referring to the RPS Data Smuggling Ring (version 2.0). Those were the times. I actually was around when the forged the first ring, back in Mordor.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/for...ng-2-Smugglier
    Forum janitor in training.

Obscure Node
    Thanks, Squiz!

Quote Originally Posted by Cei View Post
    I don't remember one, but equally such a topic wouldn't really be suited to here in my opinion. It's a distinctly dodgy area legally, and RPS isn't a marketplace.
    Given that RPS has published many articles in the past instructing users to use VPNs, etc. to obtain sales, I think it's very much forum-appropriate.

I've emailed Graham for guidance. People buying themselves via a VPN is one thing, selling things on the boards is another.
    ServerAdmin

It's not selling; nobody is profiting off of the smuggling thread (AFAIK). It *is* exchange, but then, so is the RPS Secret Santa thread.

I'm not invested in this, but given that it's been going on for over five years I guess I'm confused as to why it's all of a sudden in question.

Money is being exchanged for goods. That is the purest definition of selling.

Yes it was allowed previously. However we have much greater oversight these days of the forums by the main site, rather than being a Wild West.
    ServerAdmin

The ruling is that exchanging money via RPS is not to be happening in any form. The secret Santa thread doesn't involve money so is allowed. However any and all posts/threads involving cash are a no go.
    ServerAdmin