My controls are fight

Since the discussion about those little things that murder our enjoyment of games has taken an evolutionary side-step towards slack jawed wonder at how anyone could play a game using that setup and there's already been one call to move it somewhere else this is the place for 'those' control setups.

Whether it's beating shooters that require twitch reflexes with just the mouse, driving games using a joystick or die hard keyboarding, the door is open. Unleash what you have found on the world, RPS. It doesn't have to work with every situation but if you can do at least one level or quest of any game it'll fly.

I'll start off with one for Quake which is really source port dependent since it requires additional mouse buttons but I lasted up until the fifth map on the first episode where I got killed by a Shambler because I'm just not used to playing the game like this.

Mouse 1 - Shoot
    Mouse 2 - Walk forwards
    Mouse 3 - Strafe
    Wheel - Cycle weapons
    Mouse 4 - Jump
    Mouse 5 - Move right or left, take your pick

Fun fact pro dudes still jump with rmb

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The thing with twitch shooters like Quake is that you want to be unpredictable, and unusual bindings can help with that, because they might allow you to do movements that others can't do, because they can't press the same keys at once that you can.
    Resident graphics snob.

And remember: Bad practices often become a trend, if not dealt with promptly.

I think it's just because rbm is a lil more precise but it doesn't really change anything (especially if you can hold space to keep jumping), quake movement is unpredictable by design
    Last edited by Wenz; 14-01-2016 at 08:28 AM.

Activated Node
    I completed the first level of Halo using a joystick :P

I think I'd just got it for a flight sim, and wanted to see if I could play Halo with it. Can't remember what the control scheme was, I think I moved with the stick and aimed with the hat.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    I've tested quite a number of driving games with a G27 wheel. Many of them were unsurprisingly ok - despite the fact that they thought it was a gamepad - but Driver: San Fran and Burnout Paradise were so hilarious it reminded me of the "Daddy, would you like some sausages?" bit in Freddy Got Fingered (Tom Green playing a piano with strings tied to his fingers, which were then routed through a pulley system and tied to sausages so they all danced in the air) or something. Things like pressing a button on the wheel to accelerate, having to hold a pedal exactly in the centre to stop the handbrake from coming on, using the gear stick as buttons... Yeah, some games just really don't support certain controllers.

I used to play WoW with an ASD movement setup. Backwards was mapped to a modifier + S. I went backwards so rarely that freeing up the extra easy to reach key for a primary ability worked much better for me.

Network Hub
    I played through Wing Commander V: Prophecy with a non-analog two-button gamepad - like a NES pad almost - just a d-pad and two buttons. Obvs. I had to reach for the keyboard for a lot of stuff! It was kind of fun, though, and WAY better than any other control scheme available to me.

Quote Originally Posted by amusingthebrood View Post
    I used to play WoW with an ASD movement setup. Backwards was mapped to a modifier + S. I went backwards so rarely that freeing up the extra easy to reach key for a primary ability worked much better for me.
    Oh man, you must not have been a tank - the number of encounters that required me to move a boss around by moving myself backwards was pretty nuts in WoW, esp. in the TBC-WotLK era (as I recall - Cata may have been even worse for it). Even back in EQ and DAoC I know as a tank I was often moving backwards with a mob in my face (couldn't block/parry stuff behind you).

Quote Originally Posted by LexW View Post
    Oh man, you must not have been a tank - the number of encounters that required me to move a boss around by moving myself backwards was pretty nuts in WoW, esp. in the TBC-WotLK era (as I recall - Cata may have been even worse for it). Even back in EQ and DAoC I know as a tank I was often moving backwards with a mob in my face (couldn't block/parry stuff behind you).
    Now that you mention it, I did occasionally do some bear work when the guild was short, but I did revert to a normal WASD for that. But no, in the main I was a pretty tree stood at the back waving my branches about.

Network Hub
    First time I played TIE fighter was with a mouse. Sensitivity was so low that to make a full turn, I would have to swipe the mouse several times across the whole mousepad. Still, managed to finish with it somehow. Then later I got a joystick and was amazed how much better it was, but after a while it broke so back to the mouse it was for me.

Quote Originally Posted by mrki View Post
    First time I played TIE fighter was with a mouse. Sensitivity was so low that to make a full turn, I would have to swipe the mouse several times across the whole mousepad. Still, managed to finish with it somehow. Then later I got a joystick and was amazed how much better it was, but after a while it broke so back to the mouse it was for me.
    I play TIE Fighter for a couple of minutes every month, and I usually use a mouse for it - a mouse is more than enough for casual play.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Gert

Guild Wars 2 characters: Norgothus (Norn Necromancer), Maggrivo (Charr Warrior)

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    Never go full Wulf.