Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Black Desert Online

Hey guys

Is anyone planning on playing Black Desert when the EU/NA version releases next week?
    Steam: Carpe Dentum

Currently Playing:
    Black Desert Online

Sure I can do that, just as long as we got a big community and want siege I am game.

Well that's two so far! :P

For those that want combat: https://youtu.be/ABSfjpG3xEI

In case people want to know a little more about the game here is a link to some guides that I found useful when playing the Closed Beta and should give you a better idea of the systems in game: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...O--1iZ4aogSD8b

It has lots of interesting systems, including horse taming/breeding, housing, boats, fishing, an in depth trading and crafting system (including transporting goods in wagons/boats), Action Combat (no tab targeting), seamless open world (no load screens after the initial load), Guilds (including territory control, Guild wars) and the list goes on and on...

The one thing I will say is that it's not got any instanced dungeons or raids and as it's Korean the main way you level your characters combat exp (to level up) is through combat (read grinding). However there are a lot of quests with an interesting main story but the end game is apparently pretty much just World bosses and Guild based PvP.

I will say however that while I am not usually a fan of grinding, it has not once felt like grinding to me and more like a ARPG, slicing my way through hordes of mobs with the rather awesome combat mechanics.

Check it out!
    Last edited by Carpe_Dentum; 23-02-2016 at 12:58 PM.

Currently Playing:
    Black Desert Online

Hi, I'll be starting from today and would happily guild up with RPS. Any preference on server?

Well, I rolled on Alustin. Doesn't look like a lot of interest here, though!

Strange that there isn't more talk about this. I'd be interested in joining an RPS guild.
    I picked Balenos as it was first on the list not overcrowded. However I haven't actually started the game just made some characters so can easily switch.

Someone will need 20,000 silver to create one, plus a pic to use as guild flag (although you can change the flag once a week).

edit: also worth noting guilds in this game are a bit more complicated than, say, WoW in that you have guild subscription and guild costs etc. Guild can kinda go bankrupt if you mess it up, so people should check out guides http://www.blackdeserttome.com/wiki/Guild
    Last edited by Jorum; 04-03-2016 at 08:42 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus zanchito's Avatar
    I'm on the fence. Is there some kind of demo / limited account I could use to try? Systems seem cool, but I'm not one for grinding.
    Steam: Zanchito || Guild Wars 2: Gatonegro || The Secret World: Mescalitoh || Elite Dangerous: CMDR Zanchito

Quote Originally Posted by zanchito View Post
    I'm on the fence. Is there some kind of demo / limited account I could use to try? Systems seem cool, but I'm not one for grinding.
    My purchase came with 7 day guest pass, so assuming none of my family want it I can send it to you (I'll have to work out how first)

It is grindy in killing mobs is main/quickest way to level but from what I've seen combat is pretty fun. It has actual combos to work out and movement so is a bit more like a like a fighting game than most mmo combat.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Alright I have been convinced me to take the plunge, especially by TacticalNuclearPenguin's gushing in the RPS article comments.

Downloading now, guess I am taking Friday afternoon off! Balenos server, you say?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus zanchito's Avatar
    Thank you for the kind offer, Jorum, I'm sure I can get a guest pass by asking on reddit or any other means (probably a polite email to the publisher would work too).

I've been checking out videos on the combat and it seems nice, but not very challenging (probably because they were made with overlevelled characters for ease of demonstration). Item & mount upgrading seem to be really grindy & RNG dependant, I'm unsure abut visual customization beyond initial character creation (Guild Wars 2 is really good with that).

Generally speaking, I'm quite busy, so I appretiate when a game respects my time, that's my main concern with MMO's.
    Steam: Zanchito || Guild Wars 2: Gatonegro || The Secret World: Mescalitoh || Elite Dangerous: CMDR Zanchito

Quote Originally Posted by zanchito View Post
    Thank you for the kind offer, Jorum, I'm sure I can get a guest pass by asking on reddit or any other means (probably a polite email to the publisher would work too).

I've been checking out videos on the combat and it seems nice, but not very challenging (probably because they were made with overlevelled characters for ease of demonstration). Item & mount upgrading seem to be really grindy & RNG dependant, I'm unsure abut visual customization beyond initial character creation (Guild Wars 2 is really good with that).

Generally speaking, I'm quite busy, so I appretiate when a game respects my time, that's my main concern with MMO's.
    from what I've read the combat challenge seems to vary somewhat depending on class. i.e berserker is fun but pretty easy and can get repetitive, sorcerer apparently pretty hard to master because you're squishy and combo-attacks so if you mess up can get punished badly.
    I agree almost everything about the game is that Korean super slow and grindy feel. And I definitely don't really have suitable amount of time for this kind of thing . If it was subscription wouldn't bother at all but for a one-off purchase what the hell.

I've been thinking about starting this but not 100% convinced on the game yet. Wish these things had demos like the old days.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Played a whole lot last night. Mixed feelings at the start, it had a lot of similarities to horrible grindy Asian MMORPGs that have absolutely nothing to them. The translation is a bit off but passable. It really does throw everything and the kitchen sink out there pretty much off the bat, leaving you in a bit of a daze.

But then, at the very end of the night, I went to the first real town you get sent to (Heimdel?). And the world is gorgeous and amazing and I totally get it now.

A turning point was when I stopped trying to get a taste of/understand everything and just went off exploring. The grind is not for me, but there's so much to see! Going off the beaten track is a really good idea, almost immediately found myself in a secluded little copse of herbs and other resources, a beautiful little spot with not a soul in sight, which kept me busy gathering for several minutes and filled my bags with mushrooms and other goodies to sell on the marketplace.
    Last edited by Rizlar; 05-03-2016 at 11:43 AM.

Obscure Node
    Started playing this today, what an awesome MMO. A bit uncomfortable with some of the oversexualised fantasy elements, and the translation and voice acting are awful (va turned off within 5 mins) -- the text design is also really poor, bad choices of fonts and sizes, and the UI is a touch grotty. But the underlying game is wonderful. Still confused about how the server system works, and I just inadvertently spent 6 hours playing in the NA architecture. But hopefully as the game gains momentum we can get something going there?

Might I suggest...

Rock, Paper, Songun?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    If anyone does want to try and get an RPS group together I'm not too far in to re-roll on a new server (helps that you can just grind mobs to level up if you need to).

Realised the server I am on is Croxus. The names listed (eg. Balenos C1) seem to be temporary shards that are all on the same server (C = Croxus).

Beard of Bees is on Alustin. What servers are you on, Jorum, Carpe Dentum, Challenger2uk? I'm assuming most of us are playing on EU servers (sorry Thumbs :( ). Would be good to group up, explore and make sense of the world together!

edit: Oh yeah, my family name is Rizlar if anyone wants to look me up.
    Last edited by Rizlar; 06-03-2016 at 12:42 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    I'm also on Croxus. My family name is Khatta.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    ClementAtlee, Planetside 2, Miller VS
    Therin Khatta, FFXIV, Cerberus

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Ah right so that was you. Thought it was a gold seller. :P

Also a cautionary tale: black spirit sends you to the Glish ruins. Finding and reading book triggers cutscene. Multiple mobs spawn outside building then run in and beat you to death before the cutscene is finished.

So now I'm missing a chunk of plot and cannot trigger the cutscene again. And it was definitely unavoidable, I went back to try and watch it again and saw another player trigger the book. While they were preoccupied with the video I fought off two waves of mobs spawning. You are welcome. >.<

Network Hub
    I was about to write in and say I couldn't find the server you were talking about, until I saw I had set region to north america >_<
    I'll start on Croxus then, family name Firkragg :)
    Last edited by Firkragg; 06-03-2016 at 11:12 PM.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    "CATS", he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

Obscure Node
    Hi, I am on EU -- I was on NA briefly because the game thought I should be, apparently. Having an incredible time in this game. The shonky writing and a few other gripes aside it's pretty much the MMO of my dreams. I think anyone who enjoyed Witcher 3 would appreciate this one!

I'll start a char on Croxus and we can see if we can get some momentum going :)

Ah I'd given up checking this thread after over a week of no one posting, then BAM, everyone is interested. :P

You'll have to count me out, I'm currently playing on Alustin and actually went off and found a guild to join as I was playing with just one buddy from work. They're a good bunch and I'll be staying with them.

Have fun guys. o/

Currently Playing:
    Black Desert Online