Secondary Hivemind Nexus

A Newbies Guide to Filthy Air Farming

It's true. I have have embraced my calling and become a filthy air farmer.

Having gotten some pointers from ingles a long time ago, I believed the air game was a game of tactical aproaches, skill, and playing safe so as to not explode.

I was wrong. There is another side. A filthier side. A side that requiers naught in the way of skill. A farming side.

And it's actually pretty fun. So I thought I'd share some things I've learned. I'll try to expand upon this guide as I better identify which pieces of information helped me get started, and which ones would be classed as a more advanced kind of thing.

I can't fly

Neither can about 40% of the enemy air. Calm down, you're not killing them, you're getting the drop on infantry.

Run stealth and max fire extinguishers. These help a lot for us suicidal, untactical, filthly farming nutcases. You will probably want hover.

Still, it helps to know how to get your scythe to the right place, so lets go through what is needed to move your scythe around.

1. It's mostly about the airframes. Hover for wierd moves 3 cm above the ground, dogfighting for mouse moves.
    2. Your scythe is bigger than it looks, and you will explode quite a lot
    3. In dogfights, numbers count for more than skill. Try to avoid the ground, though.

In general

Stay close to the ground when in a hover to avoid lock ons and making non hover ESFs crash when they fight you. Also to shoot mans.

Spend 30 minutes not using a or d so you understand how to more without them, air movement will feel way better after that. Seriously, unbind them or something, then head to VR. (haven't tested, but it's a great insight to have). To be clear, I rarely take my finger of them, because they complement other movements, but they are not the primary way to turn.

When locked on, try to break the lock with trees (on Hossin, NOT AMERISH. Amerish trees are death due to hitboxes) or hills. If the lock is successful you have either 1 little friend, or many. 1 little friend likes hills and trees, just move. Avoid straight lines. Many little friends like grounds. Get close to the ground and change your speed when they are close. This takes practice, don't worry about it.

If you are in a group, try to stay together. There is an amazing amount of strength in numbers. Call for help. Realize how bad Grumpy is at remembering to stick together, and forgive him for his weakness. Remind him if you see him zooming off.

I can't kill stuff

I started like that, then eventually I got the feel for it.

If you don't have lolpods, buy the laser guided thing instead, and get Gribble or someone to teach you to use it. It's probably better than lolpods once you get the hang of it. I only have lolpods though, so:

Infantry die to 3-6 lolpods, remember to lead. Pick a target, try to send 3 or 4 pods against it, then pull away. Hover is best for lolpoding. The difference is amazing at first, but once you understand the benenfits of hover you can fake it on the other airframes to a certain extent. Never stay hovering for more than about 3 seconds, remember to tap spacebar pretty much all the time. Practice will net you more kills, but being greedy results in death. About 3 kills and death, on average. I heartilly reccomend being greedy, that way more things die. Remember to press spacebar. A lot of people suck and don't expect the ESF to go up, so a lot of people will simple miss if you hold spacebar in a dogfight, or when shooting skyguards.

Gals and "annoying flying things" (let us never speak their name) die best to the sauron from far away. The sauron is really powerful and accurate, use this. Far away is nice, because they don't shoot you back. You are also faster than them. When they start chasing you, run away and ask your wingman to shoot the annoying things. Kiting on your own takes a long time and can be boring, also involving the risk of death. Avoid death.

Enemy ESFs are annoying. Some of them are TR and run the needler, and it can feel like they kill you in 3 seconds flat with no way to dodge. This is because they kill you in 3 seconds flat with no way to dodge. This is what the rest of the outfit is for: ground support. Try to be the squad or platoon lead, and swear in channel until the horrible thing dies. A squad lead (for a non air squad) in a scythe isn't very useful, and it may feel like you shouldn't be the squad lead. This is true, everyone knows it, and still they make me squad lead. Join me. You get ribbons you don't deserve, it's great.

Slightly more seriously: Dogfighting is ... a skill. It is suprisingly easy, but a lot of people will be better than you. This means shit if there are other ESFs in the sky: outnumbered ESFs die. Remember where the ground is, my favorite kills are the ones where you simply fight near the ground and make sure to know where it is until your enemy explodes.

How should I cert?

Max the airframe before you start. Maxing stealth will help so much. I spent a lot of time in second to max stealth, the difference is noticeable. Same with fire supression. The best idea may be to max the sycthe systems first, then embrace your role as air farmer. Pull partial scythes with others, where you can hide in the swarm, don't expect to get a positive KD without a good airframe and a pretty good stealth system.

It costs certs, but it's more fun than you might expect, and really useful for the platoon if used well.

How should air squads be used?

I'm still answering this question. Air squads need to be more independent than the other squads, because they need to work together, need to tell the PL when they need help getting rid of AA, need to pick their targets when acting tacticaly. Air squads are most useful when defending, can be used to end enemy attacks on other bases to herd the continent pop better, and should often take breaks from pounding a single base to deter baddies from setting up dedicated AA nests. Boredom is a good coutner to AA nests.

So, as a PL use air squads as such: get a talkative person in them, give them vaugue orders, remind them to support the platoon now and then (best done by just asking them what the current target is) and do not attempt to micro them unless you are in the air (don't be as a PL). This will give you: pressure against the bad guys from unexpected angles, divide enemy concentration, dead enemy sundies or even better: enemy pushes will be decimated (as in: one in ten will die, not the horrible modern take on the word) making defending more viable by removing cooperation. When I'm farming an enemy push I seem to see air farmers get about 1 in 4 bad guys pushing over what is covered terrain from the point of view of other defenders. This seems to have a noticeable effect for the defenders.
    Last edited by Grumpy; 08-01-2016 at 01:51 PM.
    Filthy farmer that I am.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Very nice! Interesting read... I keep meaning to get back in to PS2, air farming could be a good way to do so when noone else is around.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Its wonderful, and running in pairs is even better.
    Filthy farmer that I am.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sketchseven's Avatar
    Come back Rizlar! We can airfarm together.

Would love to try this, but alas, I lack the certs. Too bad Scythes have no extra gunner seat, only recently I've discovered the joy that is magriding with the Aphelion. <3
    Forum janitor in training.

If you find a quiet time - when people aren't getting shot too fast - then most of us will willingly pull you a spare certed up scythe while the nanites last, that way you can get your farm on and earn certs to upgrade your own.

Sorry for double post - but I'm thinking the Air Squad SL could try being a Valk gunner or something, and spot and mark targets for the scythes. Or even on the ground a big long fights. I think this might keep the squad more attached to the platoon without limiting their freedom to roam. But we'll never know unless we get back to the 3/4 squads level regularly!

Quote Originally Posted by Grible View Post
    If you find a quiet time - when people aren't getting shot too fast - then most of us will willingly pull you a spare certed up scythe
    you can bloody well have mine!
    "It's one against four...That means I'm four times more likely to hit one of you and who knows which one it'll be"

Quote Originally Posted by Grible View Post
    If you find a quiet time - when people aren't getting shot too fast - then most of us will willingly pull you a spare certed up scythe while the nanites last, that way you can get your farm on and earn certs to upgrade your own.
    Quote Originally Posted by grff View Post
    you can bloody well have mine!
    Ohhhh, that sounds marvelous. Thanks guys, much appreciated!
    Forum janitor in training.

I'll happily pull one for someone as well if I've got the nanites, feel free to ask for it.