Getting the mumble overlay to work

This has come up a few times in discussion in game so i figured I'd make a thread about it.

At the moment with the stable release of mumble the overlay doesn't work in planetside 2
    To make the overlay work with ps2 download the current beta for mumble 1.3.0. it can be found on this page http://wiki.mumble.info/wiki/Main_Page the one you want is the development release for windows x64

download mumble.JPG

for most people installing this version should be enough to get the overlay working, but if it still doesn't its worth looking in settings > overlay > overlay exceptions and makings sure its set to use a blacklist, you don't want to add anything to the black list, you just want to make sure that is the option selected.
    Planetside 2 VS: urgetodestroy NC: meansofdestruction

For me the overlay works in other games but not planetside, I think I remember someone saying that there is a conflict somewhere between new mumble and latest planetside accessing or referencing the same files which stops the latest overlay working for some people....buggered if I can remember who was telling me though

which version of mumble do you have? if its not the 64 bit version of 1.3.0 thats what i would expect to happen, the reason for this is to do with planetside being 64 bit and older versions of mumble being 32 bit

I have the latest 64bit, I was using the mumble-d fix with old mumble but old mumble stopped working with windows 10. I don't have the software know-how to remember what I was told.

its possible there is a conflict with mumble windows 10 i don't know about.

If you were using the mumble-d kludge you may have changed the overlay exceptions, so its worth checking its set to black list mode. Otherwise i cant think of anything sorry, although it may be worth reporting the bug to mumble.

My mumble overlay suddenly started working 2 days ago, after about 2 years of it not working. I have no idea why or how, just that it randomly started working again. I haven't updated mumble (it keeps telling me updates are available and to install them, but whenever I let it it just downloads and reinstalls the current version and nothing changes.)
    Steam: GornCaptain | Planetside 2: Gorncaptain | Elite dangerous: CMDR Douglas Richardson | Warframe: GaryTheHobo

I'm not sure if Gorn is a really good pilot or just completely insane
    ~ LtArtorious

The 1.3 Mumble snapshot is 64bit enabled, whereas the 1.2.x stable release thread isn't. As PS2 is 64bit since a while ago the only way to get a working overlay without weird hacks (mumble-d) is to use the snapshot development thread. The 1.3.x set usually works, but some point releases do stop working for no real reason. Windows 10 doesn't make a difference.

The RPS server happily works with the snapshot builds.
    RPS Mumble Server [mumble.rockpapershotgun.com:64738]
    ServerAdmin

I've always used the 64bit 1.3.0 snapshot since moving to windows 10 and have never got it to work despite numerous re-installs (and the majority of people who I hear in mumble haven't either). Like Gorn I get an update every couple of days ...however mine never amounts to as much, ..just like ingame :'(
    Hopefully your advice helps others though!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by gary View Post
    (it keeps telling me updates are available and to install them, but whenever I let it it just downloads and reinstalls the current version and nothing changes.)
    You have probably got an old copy of mumble floating around somewhere. I was having the same issue, realised I still had an old outdated copy of mumble installed in addition to the current one, deleted it and the prompts went away! [edit: oh bugger, started up mumble and PS2 to see if the overlay was working and it prompted me to download bloody 1.3.0 again... so scratch that solution]

Pretty sure my overlay still doesn't work though...
    Last edited by Rizlar; 02-12-2015 at 11:25 AM.

mumble 1.3.0 is still in development, that means there are often new builds that it will ask to install, its not just re installing the current version

btw people it doesn't work for, do you us any video recording software? i noticed before that msi afterburner conflicted with he overlay

Quote Originally Posted by meaningful name View Post
    mumble 1.3.0 is still in development, that means there are often new builds that it will ask to install, its not just re installing the current version
    Even after doing the prompted reinstall, the version number remains exactly the same, and it prompts me to install another update. So unless their release schedule is just "wait until Gorn updates his mumble, then release the new patch" the updates don't do anything.

Either way I'm not going to mess around with mumble anymore for fear of breaking the overlay.
    Steam: GornCaptain | Planetside 2: Gorncaptain | Elite dangerous: CMDR Douglas Richardson | Warframe: GaryTheHobo

I'm not sure if Gorn is a really good pilot or just completely insane
    ~ LtArtorious

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yeah, the prompt is definitely a bug rather than new snapshots.