Thread: Turn Times

Turn Times

Due to a glorious oversight by our benevolent dictator, games in Division 1A have been played with 2 minute turn times this season. And I've quite enjoyed it. I've actually got games completed in about an hour!

What do other people think? Is the 4 minute turn timer the one and only way, or is there an appeal to the 2 minute timer?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ChainsawHands's Avatar
    Down with this sort of thing.

30 seconds because of hilarious prat falls.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    30 seconds because of hilarious prat falls.
    I quite like a bit of short-turn hilarity. If I can find the time, I'd like to do a mini-league with 1 min turn times

Oops. 2 mins is tight, 3 mins is probably the minimum you want for a "proper" league.

1 min with vamps would be hilarious - who doesn't have fond memories of 40 sec games in Auld before you figured out the timer properly?

Obscure Node
    I found 2 minute turn limits to be nice, it kept things moving along. Let's split the baby and go with 2:30.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethelred View Post
    Oops. 2 mins is tight, 3 mins is probably the minimum you want for a "proper" league.

1 min with vamps would be hilarious - who doesn't have fond memories of 40 sec games in Auld before you figured out the timer properly?
    4 mins just ends up with Analysis Paralysis I find. I usually end up with about 30 secs on the clock after each turn no matter how long the timer is...

Except for 40sec games, where the trick was to do some long upfield runs with a player in order to buy yourself a few more seconds of thinking time!

Activated Node
    I find I perform almost better in shorter times myself, and as such I don't really mind if the timer is 4 minutes.

I did pretty well in the 1-minute tournament I participated in though, so I imagine it'd be greatly to my advantage.

Obscure Node
    I've never played bloodbowl with as long as 4minute turns before RPS, i've typically used 2 or 2m30. I think a bloodbowl game feasibly going over 2hrs is a little ridiculous personally especially as in my experience of it (tier 2b last season) at least a minute of it was spent just hesitating anyway. I didn't know the change to the 2min format was in error, I assumed somone had seen sense. My two cents for what they're worth.

From my point of view the 4min turn times are good, but this is as I have been recording matches and been on VOIP with my opponent, the extra time is handy as it gives time for us to play as well as some light commentary and banter giving a match that is around 90min.

But, the dumb panic of shorter games can be just as fun to watch/hear.

What do you need to do to get opponents who will plug a mic in!

Is it an issue worth asking everyone about? 3 min compromise?

Honestly, I'm not bothered, as long as it suits the involved parties.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    But, the dumb panic of shorter games can be just as fun to watch/hear.

What do you need to do to get opponents who will plug a mic in!
    This is true. No idea what I am doing re. mics but I am 6 for 6 now.

One thought, Champs and higher leagues could be 2min and the lower leagues 3 or 4?

Much rather keep it at 4 min.

I quite prefer the longer 4 min timer as well. I think the game is much more enjoyable when everyone has enough time to carefully consider some cunning plays.

Obscure Node
    Just played my first ever private league game (1-1 draw) and really appreciated the 4 min turn time. I had only played the online Cable Ladder before and the 2 min sometimes is too tight. The game didn't last longer than normal as we were both competent players and the clock didn't run out for either of us, but it nice to have the extra time to think things through when required.