Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

What have you cooked today?

Me? Nothing complicated: tried a tuna/onion spread (which I actually use as a dip sauce for breadsticks); however, I made the mistake to slightly caramelize the veggies before putting them in the blender, and the whole thing came out sweeter than I wanted.

Going to let it sit for a day or two in the fridge anyway: the recipe called for oregano, I used dried, so it will take some time for the time to show, also I always find the taste of anything with enough onions in it changes and settles.

Think next time I'm going to experiment with raw, or slightly micronuked vegetables, it should pack more punch that way.

If anyone's interested, here's the ingredients: Onions, finely chopped, and tuna (I used canned), 3:1 weight ratio. Celery, garlic, oregano, vinegar, dried chili (very little, you don't want it hot), oil (used olive but sunflower should work as well) and salt to your liking.
    The Onward March of Bundles - filling your backlog since 1911. For a list of active deals, and more, click here.
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Quark & Bacon Souffle following this recipe... sorta swapped out lardons for smoked bacon medallions chopped into cubes and made it eggier.

Edit: also forgot to butter/frylight spray the trays, so it stuck to them and didnt rise properly *shakes fist*

http://hussylondonhousewife.blogspot...conomical.html

I'm trying to eat healthily and this is a nice little cheap thing that tastes more expensive and considerably less healthy (in a good way) than it is.

Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    tried a tuna/onion spread
    I love cooking with tuna, but outside of pasta sauces and sandwiches I always struggle to keep it interesting for my mixed household of healthy eating adults and fussy kids, I'll try that out.
    Last edited by Heliocentric; 06-03-2016 at 11:17 PM.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

sliced octopus and potatoes with herbs

Quote Originally Posted by Wenz View Post
    sliced octopus and potatoes with herbs
    what are the deets?

frozen octopus to unfrozen and cut+ potatoes al vapore+ cipolla+ origano+ prezzemolo+ condimento in herbs for fish from any supermarket. Took me 1 hour to prepare and put in a padella until the octopus turned purple
    Last edited by Wenz; 07-03-2016 at 12:13 AM.

Mmm octopus is yummy.

Roasted some tilapia with a slew of different veggies (broccoli, carrot, cabbage, asparagus) and some home made french fries (also roasted instead of deep fried)
    Comrade, Listen! The Glorious Commonwealth's first Airship has been compromised! Who is the saboteur? Who can be saved? Uncover what the passengers are hiding and write the grisly conclusion of its final hours in an open-ended, player-driven adventure. Dziekujemy! -- Karaski: What Goes Up...

This vegetarian chili from America's Test Kitchen (may be behind a paywall?) and some homemade tortillas. It's a very convincing chili, though it made about 100 times more than I actually need & I'll probably be eating it for the rest of the month.
    https://www.americastestkitchen.com/...getarian-chili

Today's dinner (a slightly delayed Mother's day treat) is going to be a chicken and asparagus risotto, following Jamie Oliver's recipe here for the risotto: http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/r...1GEZIjixM3e.97

then stirring in some separately cooked chicken and asparagus towards the end. I've done this quite a few times, turns out good every time.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    When I'm cooking the dinner I almost always make chicken with pasta and some bought pre-made sauce. It's quick and I'm too lazy to make more complicated dishes. BTW, cooking for one person is so annoying, most indegridents you can buy are almost always in large packs, too much for one dinner for one person. :/ This leads me to throwing a lot of food to garbage. :/

Anyone have some good recipes for something I can make in pot and frying pan only?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EPICTHEFAIL's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GameCat View Post
    BTW, cooking for one person is so annoying, most indegridents you can buy are almost always in large packs, too much for one dinner for one person. :/ This leads me to throwing a lot of food to garbage. :/
    You do know you can, like, only use half a pack and put the rest in the fridge?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Gus_Smedstad's Avatar
    I took my first venture into sous-vide yesterday. I've got an Anova circulator that I bought last year but hadn't used until now. I was cooking tenderloin steaks, 90 minutes at 132 degrees as recommended by a couple of sites, and it ended up feeling undercooked. I was aiming for medium-rare, and that wasn't that. Next time I'm going to give it a lot more time at a slightly higher temperature.

Oven cooking steak? What madness is this?

Silly Cthulhu, that's not the correct way of acknowledging that oven cooking is the only way to make a decent steak.

How will it be possible to have both a vaguely charred outside and a red middle when oven cooking? Where is the contrast?

You sear it in a pan and then throw it in the oven to finish it off properly.

I didn't say pink, I said red.

I expect it to bleed when I cut into it.
    Last edited by Heliocentric; 07-03-2016 at 08:28 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    You do know you can, like, only use half a pack and put the rest in the fridge?
    You can't put there everything and still, it would be good to have an option to buy stuff for exactly one dinner.
    Also, I often visit my hometown for few days and then I must dispose everything that could turn into science project during this time. :P

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    I just realised that my English vocabulary is completely insufficient for talking about food.

Anyway, I made sliced taters cooked in the oven with silly amounts of cream, salt, pepper and garlic, a big chunk of roasted dead pig and some lovely onion and cream sauce. Also a carrot cake. Also made some spaghetti bolognese to test my new gas stove. Also baked some bread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BillButNotBen's Avatar
    I found the simplest risotto recipe that I could, then realised I still didn't have half the ingredients and so I ended up doing what I always end up doing and substituting half the stuff with whatever's in the cupboard.

It didn't turn out horrendously, all things considered. My options are limited by needing to make it baby-friendly, which puts a lot of spices, strong flavors and harder textures out of reach.

If your kids like basil as much as mine did, get some fresh and grind it up! It's like catnip for babies.